Bitcoin Forum
June 04, 2024, 11:30:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: is he trying to scam me?  (Read 12859 times)
nohchi93 (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 07:28:41 PM

i bought 6 bitcoins through paypal yesterday. This guy says he sent it to me. It is almost past 24 hours but I still have not received anything. this is my wallet: 18WqN5PttF2LQTSXcykC4zPVoorDZ9FCC2. I registered on blackchain.info if its any help. So i have no client. Do you think i should raise this issue to paypal or could there be any other reason? Thank you
zxyzxy

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 07:30:39 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/FAQ#I_was_sent_some_bitcoins_and_they_haven.27t_arrived_yet.21_Where_are_they.3F
SimpleMan

Activity: 462

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 07:43:11 PM

is your wallet synced?

Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 07:54:07 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2012, 08:14:13 PM by Otoh

blockexplorer is not recording any TX sent to your address, http://blockexplorer.com/address/18WqN5PttF2LQTSXcykC4zPVoorDZ9FCC2
ask the seller for the TX (transaction) proof that it's been sent maybe (as it provably has not yet been sent to your address), you have like 45 days or something to lodge a claim with PP & most likely they would chargeback the funds to you np, perhaps he didn't send it as the price has just taken off somewhat I expect or maybe just a scammer who moved the funds off a stolen/disposable PP account fast, if it was via eBay then open a dispute right away imo.

eg, I just sent you 0.0001 btc & it can be seen instantly here:
https://blockchain.info/tx/539261b36586e7093953ee64bdd3354d6b8a2a55160049481677c957decac882

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 08:00:10 PM

who did you buy it from and what was the First Name, Last Name and email of the seller.

Please post here.

There is no reason for funds not to be send already

http://blockchain.info/address/18WqN5PttF2LQTSXcykC4zPVoorDZ9FCC2

I'm sorry but you probably got scammed.

nohchi93 (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 09:47:14 PM

i asked him for TX proof. this is what he sent to me wbR5tyiXMSNuxSN3tc2R . should i stsrt the resolution thing with paypal?
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 09:51:09 PM

That looks like a paypal transactions number which, if legitimate, should correspond to the payment you sent him.  Check you paypal account.

They guy scammed you.

Post the First Name, Last Name and the paypal email address here to prevent other from getting scammed.

Sorry.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 09:54:01 PM

i asked him for TX proof. this is what he sent to me wbR5tyiXMSNuxSN3tc2R . should i stsrt the resolution thing with paypal?
That looks like a PayPal transaction ID (for the PayPal transaction sending your money).  You can probably already see that in your PayPal account.

If he can't provide you with a BitCoin transaction ID (For the transaction sending you your bitcoin), then you should start the resolution thing with PayPal.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 09:55:34 PM

Yes.  Just file a goods not received complaint.

Still post his dox.  fucker.

(but it's probably a hacked account)
nohchi93 (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 09:57:09 PM

okay, but my transaction id is different from this wbR5tyiXMSNuxSN3tc2R ... i'm gonna post everything as soon as i sort the thing with paypal out
nohchi93 (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 10:02:07 PM

sorry, few more questions, should i mention the bitcoint thing to paypal? this guy also has couple of positive reviews tbh... here is the link to him: https://www.bitcoinary.com/en/users/1877/profile
nohchi93 (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 10:03:33 PM

and again... should i chose it as a "electronic goods"? sorry for all of these questions, first time buying this, and already being scammed Sad
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 10:04:26 PM

I just PM's you.

By the way Bitcoinary is a cesspool.  I can't tell you how many user I've seen get scammed over there then come over here to complain.
nohchi93 (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 10:32:20 PM

this is how he replied to paypal: "I gave the customer the goods and now hes trying to scam me by taking his money back. If he gets the money back i will stop using paypal because this seems to come up a lot."

Now, I'm going to post everything up including his info when we PayPal makes their decision
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 10:55:08 PM

this is how he replied to paypal: "I gave the customer the goods and now hes trying to scam me by taking his money back. If he gets the money back i will stop using paypal because this seems to come up a lot."

Now, I'm going to post everything up including his info when we PayPal makes their decision

If PayPal determines that he was using his account to try to sell Bitcoin, they will probably close his account for him.  Of course if they find out that you were using PayPal to purchase bitcoin there is a possibility that they will close your account also (after giving you your money back).

PayPal doesn't like people to use their service for the exchange of Bitcoin.  They claim that it is against the Terms Of Service that you agreed to when you signed up for your account.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 11:41:19 PM

PayPal doesn't like people to use their service for the exchange of Bitcoin.

Correction.  They don't allow their payment network for the purchases of coins where PayPal is paid with the expectation of digital currency in return.     They seem to be fine with the use of Bitcoin cash-out where PayPal is the payment network used for settlement of the cash-out transaction.

It is pretty easy for PayPal to verify which is occurring.  When Bitcoin cash-out is occurring, the person providing cash-out will mostly have a flow of funds that is in inflow of funds through bank transfers and an outflow to other individuals.  The PayPal account will generally maintain a sizable account balance and will be paying the PayPal fee (either Mass Pay or the normal 2.9% + $0.30 per trx).  There are few payments received from other PayPal users so this is an account with a low risk profile to PayPal.  These account usually have never filed a chargeback and have never had a chargeback filed against them.

When a party is instead accepting PayPal to sell bitcoin, the risk profile is nearly the opposite.   The flow of funds is mostly incoming from other PayPal users -- mostly using funds sent from a credit card.  The account quickly withdraws or spends the funds, thus there is a low balance in the account.  It doesn't take long for chargebacks to be filed against these accounts.

So PayPal allows one and freezes funds and closes the account for the other.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

panda1

Activity: 187

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 11:45:41 PM

If he plays it this way he will need to prove that he sent you the goods, by providing tracking information, which he can't.
nohchi93 (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 11:55:02 PM

PayPal doesn't like people to use their service for the exchange of Bitcoin.

Correction.  They don't allow their payment network for the purchases of coins where PayPal is paid with the expectation of digital currency in return.     They seem to be fine with the use of Bitcoin cash-out where PayPal is the payment network used for settlement of the cash-out transaction.

It is pretty easy for PayPal to verify which is occurring.  When Bitcoin cash-out is occurring, the person providing cash-out will mostly have a flow of funds that is in inflow of funds through bank transfers and an outflow to other individuals.  The PayPal account will generally maintain a sizable account balance and will be paying the PayPal fee (either Mass Pay or the normal 2.9% + $0.30 per trx).  There are few payments received from other PayPal users so this is an account with a low risk profile to PayPal.  These account usually have never filed a chargeback and have never had a chargeback filed against them.

When a party is instead accepting PayPal to sell bitcoin, the risk profile is nearly the opposite.   The flow of funds is mostly incoming from other PayPal users -- mostly using funds sent from a credit card.  The account quickly withdraws or spends the funds, thus there is a low balance in the account.  It doesn't take long for chargebacks to be filed against these accounts.

So PayPal allows one and freezes funds and closes the account for the other.

sorry, didnt get this Smiley will i get my account blocked? cheers
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 12:00:17 AM

it's probably not enough for them to freeze or limit your account
nohchi93 (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 12:08:23 AM

thanx everyone. so much help from all of u.

now there is this new guy has contacted me, look at what he wrote to me, sounds like a scam? Or could he be legit? thanx

"Alright whats your bitcoin address? Here is my feedback http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=sturles

And you must send the paypal funds as a gift, otherwise your order will be cancelled and refunded."

I told him that i was just scammed and i won't buy anything until it is resolved. this is what he wrote:

"Alright look if we can trade now so I can meet my quote before the end of the day I can give you coins at 8.50$ each if you pay with a moneypak and 9.50$ if you pay with paypal. Deal? And whats the scammers name I can run an IP Zeus on him and hijack his bitcoin wallet."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: