Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:58:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If I got one jalapeño now...  (Read 2131 times)
danieldaniel (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 09:30:25 PM

I know this question has probably been asked a few times, but I want a more updated answer.

If I got one BFL jalapeño now, would I ever make back my investment?  I wouldn't get it at the end of the line, I would buy it from someone who already has a spot.

I mean, if I would never make back my investment I don't see the point.

"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SurReality89

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 09:39:06 PM

it doesn't look like it will pay itself off within a year, but i am thinking that when the reward splits and difficulty goes up there is a good chance the exchange value will go up as a result. so if BTC where to go up to around $20 from the current ~$11 that will definitely help pay off the jally maybe in half a year, but honestly if you can't afford $150 bucks and will need it to pay off quick it probably won't be a good idea to get it. there are just so many factors to consider, but the general idea is the jally will not yeild more than pocket change... if you had a jally RIGHT NOW it would be pretty profitable though.
danieldaniel (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 10:18:56 PM

it doesn't look like it will pay itself off within a year, but i am thinking that when the reward splits and difficulty goes up there is a good chance the exchange value will go up as a result. so if BTC where to go up to around $20 from the current ~$11 that will definitely help pay off the jally maybe in half a year, but honestly if you can't afford $150 bucks and will need it to pay off quick it probably won't be a good idea to get it. there are just so many factors to consider, but the general idea is the jally will not yeild more than pocket change... if you had a jally RIGHT NOW it would be pretty profitable though.
It's not that I can't afford it, I was just wondering if it's worth it.  From what you said, it seems like a gamble.

Jack1Rip1BurnIt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Trust me, these default swaps will limit the risks

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 10:23:45 PM

Dude, bitcoin mining is a gamble period. If you don't like to gamble at all with your money then you probably shouldn't spend money on mining equipment because to be honest...none of us know what is fixing to happen. We are entering unknown territory in about 2 weeks.

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 10:45:20 PM

Dude, bitcoin mining is a gamble period. If you don't like to gamble at all with your money then you probably shouldn't spend money on mining equipment because to be honest...none of us know what is fixing to happen. We are entering unknown territory in about 2 weeks.

I think is a slightly pointed, but fair answer. No one knows. Based on *current* trends, yes you can make back your investment if:
1) You get it early enough that your 4.5GHash is chomping away at a difficulty designed for ~23THash total.
2) Difficulty doesn't shoot to the moon in the next year. This is not entirely impossible, but no one knows, look what happened during the GPU crazy, difficulty went way past expectations.
3) Price remains stable or increases. Decrease changes the game completely
4) You're happy waiting out the return, it will likely be > 1 year to payoff a jalapeno, no matter when you get it.
5) The jalapeno specs are what are being claimed, no guarantee there.
6) You don't factor in the cost of the rig running the jalapeno. Depending on where we go with bitcoin, the 100+ W a regular computer chomps on while idle needs to be factored in to the cost of running the jalapeno.

and more.

If BFL is for real these are factors to be considered. But they are not necessarily barriers.

jl2035

Activity: 146

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 12:44:57 PM

I'm in exaclly the same situation. Have one Jalapeno ordered and don't have the money for more. I can just wait... and 'hope' that everything turns ok for me Smiley

JOIN Bitbiz bitbiz.io
legitnick

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2012, 09:57:01 PM

No don't do it  Grin

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
danieldaniel (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 08:06:06 PM

No don't do it  Grin
From what I've seen, I don't think I'm going to get it.  There seem to be too many risks, and in the *best* case, I'll get it repaid in a year.

I don't mind gambling, but I think this seems pointless for me.

mintymark

Activity: 286
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 08:24:58 PM

And of course if you are going to gamble, you could instead, just buy bitcoins. You might do better... and instead of being left with a slightly cranky piece of hardware, you are left erhem, with some rather less cranky currency. And we also dont know what they are worth.

I couldnt resist taking the gamble and ordering a Jalepeno, just to be along for the ride, knowing that it might be better to buy bitcoins. It would be a little boring just to buy bitcoins but I have a feeling that is best. It *is* complex, and really, there is no way to know at this time.

[[ All Tips gratefully received!!  ]]
15ta5d1N8mKkgC47SRWmnZABEFyP55RrqD
monkee

Activity: 172

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 05:38:28 AM

if you "got it now", yes you'd make it back fast but if you mean order it now and get it when everyone else does... well that is a different question Smiley
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2012, 10:51:42 AM

Just go for it I say if u got $150 to spend.... what else u gonna spend it on?? least this way you got :

a) a way to get some BTC in the future or other crypto currencies
b) something to keep your coffee warm! Smiley .... hmmm i might just buy one for exactly that purpose while at work! Tongue

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: