Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:30:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S8 ?  (Read 13513 times)
lumeire
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1009

Next-Gen Trade Racing Metaverse

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 02:35:55 AM

your ideea with a light miner seems good to me.
A miner with like 2.5 Th/s and just 700 W or so, that would be nice !

That's the rumored S7+ as far as I know. Hopefully Bitmain does go this route.

For an S8 or S9? Maybe a year from now.

S7 is the "@home" miner, asic makers only want to sell to large company's now and they basically don't give a shit about the hobbyist.  So we have to be happy that at least we still have bitmain to buy from, otherwise we would be out of the game.  But I agree a true light version of the S7 would be amazeballs, like a 2 th unit that uses 500 watts or so and then we could use all our old PSUs that are collecting dust.

for  now the best home use from bitmain is the S3 IMHO,and the reason why I say that is because it does not run loud compared to the s5 and s7. I know we can change the fans on the latters but still :-p
I do look forward to the new products that they will eventually come out with hehe

I also have an s3 stocked in here but unplugged. Power rates are just too much. That's why I too am hoping for a lighter s7.

▄▄████████▄▄           ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄   ▄▄████████████████▄▄
  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄
 ▄█████▀            ▀█  ▄█████▀            ▀█████▄
▄█████▀                ▄█████▀    ▄▄        ▀█████▄
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▄▄     ▐█████
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▀▀     ▐█████
▀█████▄      ▄▄▄      █████▀      ▀▀        ▄█████▀
 ▀█████▄▄   █████    █████▀  █▄            ▄█████▀
  ▀██████████████ ██████▀▀  █████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
    ▀▀███████████ ████▀    ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀███████ ▀▀           ▀▀████████▀▀
            ▀███▀
|
..NEXT-GEN TRADE RACING METAVERSE..
|   WEBSITE   |   TELEGRAM   |   TWITTER   |   MEDIUM   |
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 07:42:54 AM

The Antminer  S8? What about the Antminer S6

The Antminer  S6 should be like the Antminer S2, S4 so a bigger unit with more hashing power and higher shipping cost.

i think that will be based on a different chipset and a worst efficiency if based on the s4, just bulkier and that's it

as i see the s8 should be double the efficiency of the s7, probably it will come out around the halving or just before it to give mienrs more margin on profit
newcoins1978

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 05:11:03 PM

The Antminer  S8? What about the Antminer S6

The Antminer  S6 should be like the Antminer S2, S4 so a bigger unit with more hashing power and higher shipping cost.

After the S3, we got the S4, so after the S5 i expected the S6, but bitmain decided to go ahead with the S7 first. Since the unit is very compact i would reckon they try to maximize profit before launching a new miner.
bitlancr

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 05:52:53 PM

The Antminer  S8? What about the Antminer S6

The Antminer  S6 should be like the Antminer S2, S4 so a bigger unit with more hashing power and higher shipping cost.

i think that will be based on a different chipset and a worst efficiency if based on the s4, just bulkier and that's it

as i see the s8 should be double the efficiency of the s7, probably it will come out around the halving or just before it to give mienrs more margin on profit

Could be.

I guessed bitmain left that series and will focus on the efficiency (the s5+ was a goodbye to the S6 maybe)

Too bad, since i loved the S4 and it's robust view.
bitcoin-hunter

Activity: 364

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 07:52:39 PM

I think it will be a 10Th+ Miner with 0.1 efficiency.

it must be lower then 0.15 since Spondoolies Tech already have a miner with 0.15 efficiency.
ultimatesky

Activity: 714

SkyFall

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 08:15:01 PM

I think it will be a 10Th+ Miner with 0.1 efficiency.

it must be lower then 0.15 since Spondoolies Tech already have a miner with 0.15 efficiency.

If they launch it in feb then yes 0.1 is ok. But i expect them to come out somewhere in april and then they have to do a lot better then 0.1.

Probably 0.05 or less.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 10:14:46 AM

I found this comment from Sean Walsh, Founder of BlockC in BitcoinMagazine interesting.

“What I can tell you is that Avalon was offered the 14nm Samsung chip many months ago, and they declined,” explained Sean Walsh, Founder of BlockC, in an interview with Bitcoin Magazine . “The 14nm process node is very new, very slow to design/produce, very difficult, very expensive and doesn't currently yield efficiency gains that even come close to compensating for all this. Avalon will produce at smaller process nodes, but only once it actually makes financial sense to do so.”

Which just means Avalon is going to be VERY late to the party at 14/16nm given lead times on development and that some folks like Bitfury, KnC, and probably BitMain and Innosilicon are probably already starting design work on their full-custom 14/16nm generation of chips (and in the case of BitFury and KnC have already announced tape-out or production on said generation).

S8 efficiency will be very close to, or the SAME, as S7 efficiency, as it will be using the same chips - IF BitMain bothers releasing an S8 model.
 I'm still betting on an S7+ instead.

I'm guessing that the next major upgrade will be an S9 model, ballpark end of 2016 timeframe, using 14nm full custom at ballpark 0.05w/GH efficiency.
 I DON'T think Bitmain is likely to get their next generation out before the halfing, or in significant numbers if they DO manage to do so.
 Yield issues on the 14/16nm process are pretty significant to date.

Bitmain announced a while back that there will be NO S6 Model.

The S7 should still be profitable after the halfing - but only marginally so and dependent on VERY cheap electric to manage a profit.
 Ditto the Avalon 6, but it's going to depend a lot on if either of them handle undervolting well if at all.
 I suspect the B-Eleven will be in the same boat once it's released, for the same reasons.

Even the SP50 isn't going to be very profitable at that point, despite it's slightly better efficiency than anything announced to date.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Gabrics

Activity: 183
Merit: 112

Just digging around

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2016, 02:08:47 AM

My guess would be that a "replacement board" is coming too. I mean when they will release the next generation I believe they will also offer boards for existing S7 units.
Make them S9 for example with 3 new ASICs. You could keep the controller, house and PSU (and the physical setup).

Just my 2c anyway Wink
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 21, 2016, 03:52:24 AM

My guess would be that a "replacement board" is coming too. I mean when they will release the next generation I believe they will also offer boards for existing S7 units.
Make them S9 for example with 3 new ASICs. You could keep the controller, house and PSU (and the physical setup).

Just my 2c anyway Wink

Likely this will not happen if they do I would guess internal.  They just have done many generations without a replacement board.  I think S3 upgrade from S1 (I believe) was first and last upgrade.

So for them not to do S3 to S5, or even S2 to S4 we will not be seeing any upgrades kits.  They are more interested in selling entire unit's at this point.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2016, 06:10:38 AM

They've never gotten around to offering "upgrade boards" before, despite talking about doing so.
I don't see any major probability of them doing so now.

What I CAN see happening is them offering a single batch of "S7+" about a month before they introduce their next-gen (probably called S9) miner - like they did with the S5+ shortly before they introduced the S7.

But of course, they may decide that was a one-shot option and won't work THIS time with the halfing so close, even if they cram as many BM1385s on the board as they can to maximise the efficiency....

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2016, 06:39:03 AM

They've never gotten around to offering "upgrade boards" before, despite talking about doing so.
I don't see any major probability of them doing so now.

What I CAN see happening is them offering a single batch of "S7+" about a month before they introduce their next-gen (probably called S9) miner - like they did with the S5+ shortly before they introduced the S7.

But of course, they may decide that was a one-shot option and won't work THIS time with the halfing so close, even if they cram as many BM1385s on the board as they can to maximise the efficiency....

My S5+ was one of my favorite miners, had a good amount of power and was reliable.  I had it run a month or more on multiple occasions.  I would be interested to hear a S7+ depending on price.   If they do it I predict same as other they use about at end to get rid of extra chips/hashing boards.

It would not surprise me if they skip S7+ though.  I think they have the design ready for S9's already.  I predict they go one fan 3 hashing board, likely were testing the design now for it.   
RichBC

Activity: 588

View Profile
April 21, 2016, 06:39:15 AM

Upgrade Boards are a nice idea for the end user, but a pain for a manufacturer, and typically have a higher support cost because of people opening up units and plugging cables etc. Margins are always better on a complete unit.

I am uncertain if we will see an S7+, it's an awful lot of power needed and I am not sure how well the S5+ was received? However as we know the controller board will support it and if it does surface it will be a sure sign that the S9 is immanent.

A lot will depend on how the BM1386 chip development is going? The move to 14/16nm does not seem that smooth, not helped by the Taiwan earthquake affecting TSMC and in particular the newest technologies.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2016, 06:47:38 AM

*just focusing on this part

I am uncertain if we will see an S7+, it's an awful lot of power needed and I am not sure how well the S5+ was received?

It was a tough sale on S5+ I think. They had much more leaks of info back then and it was known they were using it internally (and might have been selling in China but not abroad cannot remember 100 percent).   But there was enough push they did sell it to all eventually.

It was a great miner but expensive, and also a lot assumed S7 would be soon after... so again hard sale.   Power was not a big issue due to a decent amount of "hobby" miners grew to 240 and decent amount of amps.   It was definitely to big for home miner with 120 volt.

So S7+ would be good miner..... but likely high and a lot would wait for S9 seeing it as way to dump remaining chips if they do pump out S7+'s. (And could be true or not kinda a gamble just like S5+ was on that).  So unlikely we will see one.  But yes S5+ was a good and reliable miner for those who bought it.  Also held value decent as less competition when selling vs regular S5.  
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 09:05:14 AM

My S5+ was one of my favorite miners, had a good amount of power and was reliable.  I had it run a month or more on multiple occasions. 

I'd be impressed if I hadn't had 4 of my 5 A2 units run for 4 months straight - befrore I reset my home to "summer mode" and had to shut those 4 down to move them.
 The 5'th one is at 4.5 months and still going....

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 06:42:44 PM

My S5+ was one of my favorite miners, had a good amount of power and was reliable.  I had it run a month or more on multiple occasions. 

I'd be impressed if I hadn't had 4 of my 5 A2 units run for 4 months straight - befrore I reset my home to "summer mode" and had to shut those 4 down to move them.

And they would have kept going but in a few cases I reset them due to hardware errors showing up wrong.  Run any bitmain miner for around a month and you will see a negative number on hardware errors.... which is impossible.  I normally reset so I could see real errors.   

Dragon A2's were beasts I'm not knocking them I know some data centers they were put on a ton of stress... and lived.  They were really good miners, only thing they lacked was a nice PSU.  Assuming LKETC a2 eventually a PSU dying was kinda common.
BitsandBites

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 08:01:58 PM

The S3 is my favorite miner. Very silent and strong.
I am surprised there are no S8 already. I was expecting to buy one last march but bitmain lab is silent. Probably they are testing them again for a few months and then sell it.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2016, 09:37:57 PM

The S3 is my favorite miner. Very silent and strong.
I am surprised there are no S8 already. I was expecting to buy one last march but bitmain lab is silent. Probably they are testing them again for a few months and then sell it.

The Avalon 4.1 beat the S3 on noise by FAR.  If your looking for quiet of that generation I would go with it, no other modern miner has come close straight from factory.    Others you would have to mod and still not sure you would get same level.

But here is my old review with video - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1008726.0 .  I was asked many times if I did something to make it quiet for video Smiley and I did not I did have to get that close for mic to pick it up even.
carlosmnk

Activity: 572
Merit: 506

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 05:18:40 AM

The only option to make an S8 miner is to make a more efficient miner with the same BM1385 28nm chip. Now i can see the logic to create something like S8 (only speculating). After the halving, it is very possible to be hard to find a profitable miner, and Bitmain could decide to create a new miner running with a low frequency; perphaps 250Mhs or 350Mhs and a longer string. They could reach to something like 0.15 or 0.20 w/gh (maybe 0.18 w/gh)? a miner with 350 chips, doing 6 Th/s and draining 1100w?

Played with: USB RedFury - BlackArrows Prospero X1/X3 - Butterfly Monarch- Spondoolies SP20E - Avalon 6 - Antminer U3/S3/S3+/C1/S5/S7 Batches 3-7-8 - Sfards SF100 - Innosilicon A2 Terminator - Alcheminer 96/256 - KNC Titan - Etherum Rigs
RichBC

Activity: 588

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 06:30:40 AM

The only option to make an S8 miner is to make a more efficient miner with the same BM1385 28nm chip. Now i can see the logic to create something like S8 (only speculating). After the halving, it is very possible to be hard to find a profitable miner, and Bitmain could decide to create a new miner running with a low frequency; perphaps 250Mhs or 350Mhs and a longer string. They could reach to something like 0.15 or 0.20 w/gh (maybe 0.18 w/gh)? a miner with 350 chips, doing 6 Th/s and draining 1100w?

But if they wanted to do that all they need to do is to turn down the voltage & frequency on a 135 chip S7. It just needs a change to a Byte in the code running on the PIC that controls the voltage.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
carlosmnk

Activity: 572
Merit: 506

View Profile
April 24, 2016, 07:16:28 AM

But if they wanted to do that all they need to do is to turn down the voltage & frequency on a 135 chip S7. It just needs a change to a Byte in the code running on the PIC that controls the voltage.

Rich

So it could be done easilly?

Played with: USB RedFury - BlackArrows Prospero X1/X3 - Butterfly Monarch- Spondoolies SP20E - Avalon 6 - Antminer U3/S3/S3+/C1/S5/S7 Batches 3-7-8 - Sfards SF100 - Innosilicon A2 Terminator - Alcheminer 96/256 - KNC Titan - Etherum Rigs
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: