Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 07:29:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about Lending, Accounts as Collateral/valuation, and Escrow  (Read 450 times)
moarcoins (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 11:54:24 PM
Last edit: November 22, 2015, 02:19:52 AM by moarcoins

So say you want to take out a loan and put your account up for collateral (not a noob account). You tell the lender the status of the account (activity/posts/trust) and if the lender sees this as acceptable collateral he can accept.
Then you hand the valuable account over to a trusted escrow, I imagine that then the escrow confirms the account is of the status that the borrower says.
Then the lender sends the agreed upon loan to the borrower and either gets back the loan with interest or receives the collateral if the contract is breached.

Then there is the message signing aspect. How is one supposed to provide proof they own the account by signing an old address if they don't want everyone to know that the account in question is on the market? Between only the borrower with the account and escrow then correct?

I imagine an account looses a lot of its value if it becomes publicly know that the account in question has been sold/turned over to whoever or that the account may be sold.. You don't want the whole world knowing that the account is no longer controlled by the original creator do you? Or does it not even matter? (except for scammers trying to use the account's trust to rip someone off, I am not a scammer so this doesn't really pertain to me other than value)

Say I would like to lend some BTC so someone and take a "good" account as collateral for the loan with escrow. According to plan this would either give me a percentage return on my BTC, or I end up with a valuable account for a good deal that I can then either sell for a profit or use to generate revenue by enrolling in a signature campaign with the account to earn BTC.

How would this go without the whole world knowing that the account is under control of a new person or does that just not matter?

This seems like a good legitimate way to earn BTC either by getting paid interest, selling the collateral account, or using the collateral account to earn BTC via a campaign..

How does all this work? What do you think?
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 01:36:19 AM

So say you want to take out a loan and put your account up for collateral (not a noob account). You tell the lender the status of the account (activity/posts/trust) and if the lender sees this as acceptable collateral he can accept.
Then you hand the valuable account over to a trusted escrow, I imagine that then the escrow confirms the account is of the status that the borrower says.
Then the lender sends the agreed upon loan to the lender and either gets back back the loan with interest or receives the collateral if the contract is breached.

Then there is the message signing aspect. How is one supposed to provide proof they own the account by signing an old address if they don't want everyone to know that the account in question is on the market? Between only the borrower with the account and escrow then correct?

I imagine an account looses a lot of its value if it becomes publicly know that the account in question has been sold/turned over to whoever or that the account may be sold.. You don't want the whole world knowing that the account is no longer controlled by the original creator do you? Or does it not even matter? (except for scammers trying to use the account's trust to rip someone off, I am not a scammer so this doesn't really pertain to me other than value)

Say I would like to lend some BTC so someone and take a "good" account as collateral for the loan with escrow. According to plan this would either give me a percentage return on my BTC, or I end up with a valuable account for a good deal that I can then either sell for a profit or use to generate revenue by enrolling in a signature campaign with the account to earn BTC.

How would this go without the whole world knowing that the account is under control of a new person or does that just not matter?

This seems like a good legitimate way to earn BTC either by getting paid interest, selling the collateral account, or using the collateral account to earn BTC via a campaign..

How does all this work? What do you think?

Usually, masking an account's id (i.e. - providing only the number of posts, activity) is done only while selling an account. If a person is using his account as security, then the assumption is he would repay and take back the account. There is a vested interested in making loans public for the lender, he can ensure that the borrower doesn't borrow from multiple sources (say other small unsecured loans, before using his account as collateral).

About the world knowing that it is a sold account, it really doesn't matter. If you feel that this would lead to accounts being less valuable, build this discount into the loan amount you would be comfortable with.
Pattart

Activity: 1190
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 01:56:06 AM

The signed message and account details are only known among the lender, borrower, and escrow. It is understood that the escrow should never reveal the details about the transaction to anyone else unless there is a dispute. For lending, though, it doesn't matter since the account should be going back to the same lender and then it is a moot point.

Also, typically the feedback given to an account being sold is neutral. This doesn't affect the price of the account and people don't really care unless the account had positive trust.
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2015, 01:57:53 AM

So say you want to take out a loan and put your account up for collateral (not a noob account).
you need a full member and above in order to the loan to be accepted in most of cases. Barely no one will accept a member/jr accounts since it doesn't require much time to get one..

since you are using a trusted escrow this shouldn't be a problem to reveal the signed message to him (escrow) tho.

You don't want the whole world knowing that the account is no longer controlled by the original creator do you? Or does it not even matter? (except for scammers trying to use the account's trust to rip someone off, I am not a scammer so this doesn't really pertain to me other than value)
ending with a negative trust containing: "default loan" is bad but with an escrow this also shouldn't be a problem since he is the only one to know the account name. otherwise without an escrow, if you didn't pay the loan then the other part will anonymously sell the account, the problem will rise if you publicly declared that this is your account and it is stolen/sold and in this case the other part just need to prove the opposite by sending the signed message to the admins.

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
moarcoins (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 03:05:31 AM

Thank you for your replies.

Basically I want to lend my BTC against valuable accounts in a safe manner in a way that I could achieve one of the following desired outcomes..

A. I get my BTC back plus interest.
or
B. I get a valuable account(s) that I can sell for MORE than the defaulted loan and still turn a profit, and/or possibly to use for myself to make more BTC with a signature campaign.

The borrower chooses the escrow to place his account with correct? How do I know to trust the escrow they picked?
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2015, 01:14:32 PM

The borrower chooses the escrow to place his account with correct? How do I know to trust the escrow they picked?

The borrower has to trust the lender else he has to deal with an escrow. Don't forget that the escrow requires fees so generally it is the lender who choose one but the borrower could precise that he will not accept a non trusted one.
You can find here a list of trusted escrow : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=855778.0

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
Pattart

Activity: 1190
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 22, 2015, 09:52:44 PM

You have to check the trust of the escrow. Check if they are on trusted list that InvoKing posted above. Check their trust and read the feedback that they have. Generally trusted escrows have a significant amount of positive feedback and are usually high ranking members. If they choose someone questionable as an escrow, e.g. has negative trust or is low ranking, then you can deny the loan or ask them to pick someone else. You can also choose the escrow for them and say that they have to use the escrow you picked in order for the deal to go through.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: