Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:05:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC where are they?  (Read 8453 times)
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 06:19:23 PM

I stopped giving a crap for a couple weeks but now I'm back and now BFL's website has actual pictures of the finished product.  That means they have some chips, are assembling and testing some, and are obviously close to shipping.  

Yeah, only those chips you saw? Mock-ups. They don't have any chips at BFL, mostly because the chips don't even exist yet. Apparently the chips are going to be finished by next week, maybe, with luck. BFL doesn't know. They have no idea when their chips are going to be finished. But it could be next week. With luck. Who knows?

Filtering through the Inaba speak this is probably how it's gonna go:
 - Finally understanding how Asian fabs work, BFL raises their order from 20000 chips to 100000 to bump up their place in the production queue.
 - Fab decides they finally have time for that weirdo BFL company to do their miniscule run on the 11th. This is under provision no big orders from LG come in in the mean time because boy that Nexus 4 is selling like hotcakes. If that happens BFLs run is gonna be pushed back to "whenever".
 - Assuming the 11th happens and the run actually starts, you can add about 4-5 weeks for production of these things.
 - On 21st of December the world ends
 - In the middle of January the chips are finished. Inaba decides to hop in a plane and fly over to the fab to hand receive the chips. Turns out, all planes crashed during the end of the world. Instead the chips are shipped over to 'merica by boat.
 - Middle of March the chips finally arrive in what is now called the Independent State of California. Customs officials hold what they assume to be weapons grade military devices until the end of the war with Texas finally ends in a stalemate.
- 2015: ASICs arrive at BFL studios (a subsidiary of bAvalon International). No one knows what to do with them because all bitcoins were wiped out by the EMP pulse from Planet Rth'Nag'Ar.
- 2016: bAvalon strings the chips up on metal bars to produce a first-of-its-kind mathematics device they call The Abacus.

absolute gold

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mem

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 04:38:41 AM

I stopped giving a crap for a couple weeks but now I'm back and now BFL's website has actual pictures of the finished product.  That means they have some chips, are assembling and testing some, and are obviously close to shipping.  

Yeah, only those chips you saw? Mock-ups. They don't have any chips at BFL, mostly because the chips don't even exist yet. Apparently the chips are going to be finished by next week, maybe, with luck. BFL doesn't know. They have no idea when their chips are going to be finished. But it could be next week. With luck. Who knows?

Filtering through the Inaba speak this is probably how it's gonna go:
 - Finally understanding how Asian fabs work, BFL raises their order from 20000 chips to 100000 to bump up their place in the production queue.
 - Fab decides they finally have time for that weirdo BFL company to do their miniscule run on the 11th. This is under provision no big orders from LG come in in the mean time because boy that Nexus 4 is selling like hotcakes. If that happens BFLs run is gonna be pushed back to "whenever".
 - Assuming the 11th happens and the run actually starts, you can add about 4-5 weeks for production of these things.
 - On 21st of December the world ends
 - In the middle of January the chips are finished. Inaba decides to hop in a plane and fly over to the fab to hand receive the chips. Turns out, all planes crashed during the end of the world. Instead the chips are shipped over to 'merica by boat.
 - Middle of March the chips finally arrive in what is now called the Independent State of California. Customs officials hold what they assume to be weapons grade military devices until the end of the war with Texas finally ends in a stalemate.
- 2015: ASICs arrive at BFL studios (a subsidiary of bAvalon International). No one knows what to do with them because all bitcoins were wiped out by the EMP pulse from Planet Rth'Nag'Ar.
- 2016: bAvalon strings the chips up on metal bars to produce a first-of-its-kind mathematics device they call The Abacus.

lmao, I gotta wipe spit and snot off my screen you made me laugh so hard.

Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 04:46:58 AM

Its only a scam if theymos invests in it and loses money.

mem

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 06:19:24 AM

I don't have any pre order, so I shouldn't interfere but would there not be a point in telling others not to order anything from BFL or claiming that they'll never market a product, if you are sure you get one yourself so you will have a better chance of recouping your investment as less ASIC's are sold because of slander?  

Excellent point Luno. I think the haters fall into two camps,

1. Those that didn't order early when they had the chance and are now kicking themselves.
2. As you said, those who did order and are trying to sow misinformation for their own gain.

This is the very same song Pirates investors were singing, good luck with that Smiley

squall1066
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1032

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 12:25:50 PM

Agree with plenty of these threads, I bought in late, just one unit, People are starting to pull out, And getting their money back, Not me, I will sit in this ride till its conclusion.

Let the trolls have their fun, If BFL dliver they will shut up fast, If not I will shut up fast  Grin
michaelmclees

Activity: 633
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 02:33:49 PM

But there is an enormous timeframe in which they they may not deliver.  They could fail to deliver for the next 1000 years.  But once they deliver, the deed is done. So in other words, stay prepared to hear about how BFL isn't delivering for the foreseeable future.  And because "dog bites man" isn't news, when they do deliver, we'll all be back to the speculation forum where we belong.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 04:02:15 PM

They dont exist...

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
RyanRed

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 04:56:28 PM

I dont think its a Scam. Not even from the get go. Theres just too much into outside information from other sources for just a few companies to pull something of this maganatude off. Just look at the new MIT write up (google it) Yes, we are burdened with delays, and it is frustrating, but its not a scam by any means.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 05:56:51 PM

I stick to my opinion.

1) No reason to request someone to pay in advance (6 months in advance or more) for a product that was already pushed back at least twice.
2) In the unlikely case that they were able to get ASICS working.... why would they sell them so cheap? IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!!!
3) The Single SC, with a performance of 60,000 Mhash (60GH) but let's be pesimistic and say that it can mine at 50,000Mhash/s...
with the current difficulty, and halving, you could mine 6.5 BTC per day. At the current BTC price, your ROI is about 15 days (let's say 20 if we calculate electricity there, and I'm being super pesimistic)
So, in conclusion, since NO ONE has seen an ASIC, and BFL is selling them at a fraction of what GPU mining and even FPGA mining costs (The ROI's for GPU and FPGS are no less than 4-6 months) there's definitely something that doesn't add up.
I'm happy for the people that are believers, you guys live in a fantasy world.... but being BFL a for profit, and putting myself in their shoes, it doesn't make ANY sense to sell ASIC so cheap, and if I had ASIC, I would much rather mine with them and make some profit before shipping them out... or better yet, I would change my business model and I'd mine with them instead of selling them away...
just my two cents.

within one month, the ROI will go from 2 weeks to 5 months, like it has been historically.

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
jjiimm_64
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 06:41:21 PM

Within one month... expect another excuse! Smiley

I meant within a month of asics in the wild, diff will rise to the point that ROI will rise to historical avgs.

Elxiliath

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 10:12:56 PM

Maybe they considered it in another direction.  Sell thousands of devices to greatly increase difficulty hence making all miners have to purchase ASICs to do any worthwhile mining and making the demand skyrocket.  Be the first and only supplier and crush your competition.  Then raise prices and profit.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. BL5cYJHSEvjPo19GQa3z7Z3cCEbBY9iCee
bce

Activity: 756
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 08:54:19 AM

It could also be that there is bitcoin-rich financial backer behind an ASIC producer, who is backing development in order to increase the security of the bitcoin network by widely distributing ASICs which will harden the network against attack.  Since the network security is increased by selling these ASICs around the world, the BTC value will go up, more orders will come in at current ASIC sale prices, and the company will sell enough to make up for development costs.  At worse, it's a scheme -  but a scam?  Probably not... unless you count the pre-orders placed in June 2012 @ $6 per BTC through a payment processor, and the possible rise in BTC value Tongue  *removes tin-foil hat*
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 09:32:15 PM

What is this ROI you keep speaking of in terms of days/weeks/months?

The ROI I'm familiar with is usually expressed in terms of APY or similar.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/returnoninvestment.asp

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 09:40:12 PM

Sup. Text.

Keep in mind that the calculation for return on investment and, therefore the definition, can be modified to suit the situation -it all depends on what you include as returns and costs. The definition of the term in the broadest sense just attempts to measure the profitability of an investment and, as such, there is no one "right" calculation.

most people on these forums mean break even when they say roi, if that helps
jjiimm_64
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 10:16:49 PM

nothing in the bitcoin world is measured in years....

Elxiliath

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 01:08:55 AM

Ok, it's a scheme and a scam...
it's a scheme if they used the pre-order's money to profit from it while investing in the required machinery to produce something they are yet to have working. It's a scam because they have failed to deliver in the times they specified making the product less valuable every day (difficulty increasing, halving, etc)
Yes, by the time they release a single jalapeño, the $150 jalapeño's ROI will be 6 months or more like I read somewhere here...
that is IF they ever deliver one...
lots of dreamers our there...
And I'm amazed of the imagination that some people have. Thinking some big rich guy is behind all this to secure the network releasing ASICS or crazy theories like that...
This is not the humane society, this is a business, like the stock market, I know there are anarchists out there, but I doubt there's one with the amount of money required to support such theory.

I'm a dreamer and I do not believe ASICs are a scam.  But the releasing of them to secure the network doesn't make a great lot of sense.  It's been brought up, why would they sell these processors so cheap given the current MH/$ of FPGAs.  Given what we pay for an FPGA if it was a direct conversion we'd be paying $3,500 per Jalapeño.  It's hard to say how or why.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. BL5cYJHSEvjPo19GQa3z7Z3cCEbBY9iCee
BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 01:27:23 AM

In bitcoin everything is mesured in 4 to 6 weeks......
 Or by the end of "insert month here" ....

jjiimm_64
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 03:52:49 AM

In bitcoin everything is mesured in 4 to 6 weeks......
 Or by the end of "insert month here" ....

Just to make it clear...  ROI as a function of bitcoin, usually mean time to breakeven. (When do I get my Investment Returned). maybe we should call it IR

bce

Activity: 756
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 06:24:23 AM

.... And I'm amazed of the imagination that some people have. Thinking some big rich guy is behind all this to secure the network releasing ASICS or crazy theories like that...
This is not the humane society, this is a business, like the stock market, I know there are anarchists out there, but I doubt there's one with the amount of money required to support such theory.

People have already accepted that BTC has value.  If someone had a shit ton of BTC, they'd invest in making sure the network is secure, right?  It'd have nothing to do with taking care of stray dogs.  Now I've got that Sarah McLachlan song in my head - Thanks, deathcode.
TheBible

Activity: 125

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 11:37:19 AM

You people haven't even seen a prototype, have seen constant delays with unrealistic timelines, no proof at all that there even is an order at a foundry, and you still fall for these obvious scams every single time.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: