Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:36:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: News of a mini RasPi for 5$ How could this change bitcoin mining?  (Read 2900 times)
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3844

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 06:46:33 AM
Last edit: November 29, 2015, 07:26:12 AM by Biodom

Mining on raspberry pi zero (using Gekkoscience ASIC stick):
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1173963.msg13098911#msg13098911

lots of fun setting it up.
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 08:57:57 AM

How many of these would you need to mine a mbtc of bitcoin?
Since they don't take up too much electricity then I am guessing they wouldn't give off much heat. So right that is a plus for them in my books.
I think this is what started the pi wallet as well. Let know if I am wrong about that.
CPU mining died 4 years ago, even with powerful CPUs

With a tiny slow CPU, maybe 1000 of them would match a 1GHs miner.
(yeah a 1GHs miner is pointless also)

It would take 145GHs to make 0.001 BTC a day (about 35c a day)
So about 145,000 of them might make 35c a day before you subtract electricity.

Cpu and Gpu mining aren't dead, yes you won't be rich in a couple of years.
But.... if you are the type of person that leaves your computer(s) on all the time why not mine with them.
I'm doing that with Ftc just for giggles.  Far better than not doing it.  Accumulate some hold them or trade for Ltc.

Other cryptos will rise as they did when Btc rises.  When no one can mine Btc cryptos will be your best bet.
It's about as lame as the guys a couple years ago that said Btc mining with your cpu is foolish and will never
be worth anything. 

Cpu mining Btc "yes Dead".
This is the BTC part of the forum.
If you wish to discuss alt-coins then do that in the alt-coin part of the forum.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
nepaluz

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 12:46:04 PM

I have to agree, cpu mining is not dead by any objective measure, btc included, though you will never ROI if doing it on a pool. But who knows, with btc you may find a block solo mining and of-course with alt coins you never know where the price is headed.
VirosaGITS (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 01:52:03 AM

I have to agree, cpu mining is not dead by any objective measure, btc included, though you will never ROI if doing it on a pool. But who knows, with btc you may find a block solo mining and of-course with alt coins you never know where the price is headed.

No, it is dead. 100% dead and that is the right answer here.

The question there was "How many of these (RasPI0) would you need to mine BTC, it should be worth it because they are so cheap." and that is just plain not the case. If you want something small and cheap to mine BTC, its going to be a Sidehack stick. Maybe something like a pod miner.

TLDR: RasPI0, definitively not for mining BTC. Acting as a controller, yes.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
nepaluz

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:04:58 AM

If the question was how many $5 rPi ZERO's do you need to mine btc then, surely, the answer is just one NOT cpu mining is dead. Is it worth it? Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder .... usb stick or rPi ZERO ... both have an equal chance of finding a block but the rPi ZERO has the added advantage of being re-useable.
Anyone who says cpu mining is dead is simply being narrow-minded.
VirosaGITS (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:10:49 AM

If the question was how many $5 rPi ZERO's do you need to mine btc then, surely, the answer is just one NOT cpu mining is dead. Is it worth it? Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder .... usb stick or rPi ZERO ... both have an equal chance of finding a block but the rPi ZERO has the added advantage of being re-useable.
Anyone who says cpu mining is dead is simply being narrow-minded.

And you're wrong. The question was how many RPI0 to be able to mine a mBTC. If you want to go with the lottery route, there is also better ways to go at it, that both cost less for the hardware and less electricity to run.

Its not a narrow minded thing, its just a fact; mining with CPU is a phase that is over.

You can argue that in our times, it is still possible to cross the sea with a galleon by hiring many people and only using arm power over the course of many weeks.

Sure okay its not impossible... but you could just use a ship with an engine or you know, a plane. Thats why its not done anymore.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
nepaluz

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:42:43 AM

I am not sure the question is not answered by one, but I'll elaborate just so we are clear. If you can find a block with an rPi ZERO then you'll agree the mBTC is covered by that block, or am I missing something here? Then again, I am not sure one rPi ZERO can not mine an mBTC and still be re-useable, be it for tinkering or as an expensive controller, and that in effect being the proof that cpu mining is not dead.
But you are right, you started this thread and you must be correct.
VirosaGITS (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:49:14 AM

I am not sure the question is not answered by one, but I'll elaborate just so we are clear. If you can find a block with an rPi ZERO then you'll agree the mBTC is covered by that block, or am I missing something here? Then again, I am not sure one rPi ZERO can not mine an mBTC and still be re-useable, be it for tinkering or as an expensive controller, and that in effect being the proof that cpu mining is not dead.

Me starting the thread does not make me god.
But it doesn't really matter here, i'm just pointing out;

You can't say "To get millions of USD, just go buy a lottery ticket." and its what you're saying here. Every time this would be applied, for nearly everyone, this would be false.

Therefore saying a RasPI0 can be used to mine BTC blocks is wrong as well.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 02:58:08 AM

You can't say "To get millions of USD, just go buy a lottery ticket." and its what you're saying here. Every time this would be applied, for nearly everyone, this would be false.

I think the you are correct the RPI will not be used to mine even as lotto.  It needs a secondary miner hooked up to it, you can use U3's, Compac's, etc.  But a RPI alone is not enough CPU/GPU combo to really mine alone.

Although I would love for someone to prove me wrong and do a mining unit with 4 in a stack: http://www.amazon.com/Qunqi-Acrylic-4-layer-Enclosure-Raspberry/dp/B013SSA3HA .  I love that case just never have had a use to get a case for multiple working together.
VirosaGITS (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 03:03:33 AM

I think the you are correct the RPI will not be used to mine even as lotto.  It needs a secondary miner hooked up to it, you can use U3's, Compac's, etc.  But a RPI alone is not enough CPU/GPU combo to really mine alone.

Although I would love for someone to prove me wrong and do a mining unit with 4 in a stack: http://www.amazon.com/Qunqi-Acrylic-4-layer-Enclosure-Raspberry/dp/B013SSA3HA .  I love that case just never have had a use to get a case for multiple working together.

Thats really cute, but unless you need to use multiple raspi to control different kind of miners, i dont really see a point. Its not like it ever become a cost-effective solution when it comes to obtaining processing powers.

They are just amazing because when you do not need much processing power, the individual cost of your computer become extremely cheap. Now from 5$, to 20-40$ for a deluxe one.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 04:31:11 AM

Thats really cute, but unless you need to use multiple raspi to control different kind of miners, i dont really see a point. Its not like it ever become a cost-effective solution when it comes to obtaining processing powers.

They are just amazing because when you do not need much processing power, the individual cost of your computer become extremely cheap. Now from 5$, to 20-40$ for a deluxe one.

It's not cost effective. I thought kinda the same way that it's a really neat design.  I would love to have a use for a stack... but for most part my RPI's do a lot with just one I don't run multiple unless needed.   And I keep one or more in project pile. 

I have a few RPI projects I just have not gotten to yet.   I have 0 need for a RPI zero... but I still want one to play with. I just can't justify overpaying when I have other projects I could be doing already.
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 09:56:36 AM

I think the you are correct the RPI will not be used to mine even as lotto.  It needs a secondary miner hooked up to it, you can use U3's, Compac's, etc.  But a RPI alone is not enough CPU/GPU combo to really mine alone.

Although I would love for someone to prove me wrong and do a mining unit with 4 in a stack: http://www.amazon.com/Qunqi-Acrylic-4-layer-Enclosure-Raspberry/dp/B013SSA3HA .  I love that case just never have had a use to get a case for multiple working together.

It's not cost effective. I thought kinda the same way that it's a really neat design.  I would love to have a use for a stack... but for most part my RPI's do a lot with just one I don't run multiple unless needed.   And I keep one or more in project pile.  

I have a few RPI projects I just have not gotten to yet.   I have 0 need for a RPI zero... but I still want one to play with. I just can't justify overpaying when I have other projects I could be doing already.
Yeah I am going to wait until the magpi magazines are available in December to try and snag one with a zero but other than that I will wait until they're truly available for 5$ or 8$ with prime shipping.

I think there ar those of us that any time we see a new bit of hardware, particularly if it's low cost, start thinking about what we could use it for. I have all sorts of "stuff" that I have bought over the Years, some of which has been put to good use, some of which has had a quick play and some which is still in the Jiffy bag.  Smiley I particularly like Arduino for simple projects with simple code. A pro mini can be got for < $2 delivered from HK and is great for all sorts of projects

I think this thread was about the Pi Zero reducing the cost of a miner, which it could do, but I would probably stick with a standard Pi with Ethernet. As to mining with it I suspect you can mine with any processor or microcontroller, Pic, Arduino or Pi etc, but other than the academic exercise, which I have a lot of time for, there is no point.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: