Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:26:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This is an ex-change (cryptoxchange closes shop)  (Read 5154 times)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2012, 05:31:39 PM

Aren't cryptoxchange and bitcoinpolice virtually identical?

No.  I think you might be confusing Bitcoin Police with something else, possibly Mr. Bitcoin.

Nope. I'm pretty sure CryptoXchange was not only listed on Bitcoin Polices site as a highly trusted partner, but the adresses of some Bitcoin Police members and CryptoXchange owners were remarkably similar. Of course, and im sure this is totally accidental, the old Bitcoin Police site was replaced by a new one about 2 days ago or so. Still...remarkably convenient, if one thinks about it.

Isn't there also a connection to the exchange in India? (Beryl Armitt)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 08:32:19 AM

Aren't cryptoxchange and bitcoinpolice virtually identical?

No.  I think you might be confusing Bitcoin Police with something else, possibly Mr. Bitcoin.

Nope. I'm pretty sure CryptoXchange was not only listed on Bitcoin Polices site as a highly trusted partner, but the adresses of some Bitcoin Police members and CryptoXchange owners were remarkably similar. Of course, and im sure this is totally accidental, the old Bitcoin Police site was replaced by a new one about 2 days ago or so. Still...remarkably convenient, if one thinks about it.

As far as I'm aware the new Bitcoin Police site (bitcoinpolice.org) is unrelated to CryptoXChange.  Actually, there's a greater connection between Bitcoin Police and Mt. Gox, just have a look at the whois records for bitcoinpolice.org and bitcoinpolice.net.

Disclaimer:  I am a moderator on the new Bitcoin Police forum.

The data from the old site was available a few days ago, I'll see if I can get a copy.  I didn't archive it because there wasn't much in it of interest.

Anyway, the only thing in common between MrTggr (the primary BP admin) and CryptoXChange that I am aware of is that both are in Australia.  So is SomeoneWeird (the secondary BP admin) and so am I.

CryptoXChange has a postal address in Orange, NSW (approx. 200km west of Sydney), MrTggr is in Canberra, SomeoneWeird is in Melbourne and I'm in Melbourne too.

Someone accused me of being a CX "shill" https://btct.co/security/BITCOINRS. I havent spoken to Ken for months and its unfounded accusations like this which probably caused him to shut it down, along with other issues. Not saying thats why but it doesn't help.

If people keep hounding honest businesses out of bitcoin its a shame.

augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 11:27:19 PM

Isn't there also a connection to the exchange in India? (Beryl Armitt)

The Beryl Armitt connection:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=126552.msg1353969#msg1353969
Hasimir

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 01:47:55 PM

Anyway, the only thing in common between MrTggr (the primary BP admin) and CryptoXChange that I am aware of is that both are in Australia.  So is SomeoneWeird (the secondary BP admin) and so am I.

CryptoXChange has a postal address in Orange, NSW (approx. 200km west of Sydney), MrTggr is in Canberra, SomeoneWeird is in Melbourne and I'm in Melbourne too.

Someone accused me of being a CX "shill" https://btct.co/security/BITCOINRS. I havent spoken to Ken for months and its unfounded accusations like this which probably caused him to shut it down, along with other issues. Not saying thats why but it doesn't help.

If people keep hounding honest businesses out of bitcoin its a shame.

Yes, but we're all in the same country so we must know each other and be colluding against the rest of the world.  It's a vast conspiracy.  Nevermind the fact that there's 23 million of us spread over a land mass about four fifths the size of the United States, it's still a conspiracy of convicts!

Whereas what actually happened, as I understand it, was that Ken met MrTiggr online in #bitcoin-aus when CryptoXChange was being built and engaged MrTiggr and the Bitcoin Police of the day to do some pentesting and security auditing of the website.  This resulted in their being confident enough to list the site as trusted.

It's also worth pointing out that for all the trouble CXC has had, they're not simply cutting and running with whatever money or BTC were in people's accounts.  My own issues with them, for example, were always in the nature of competence rather than trustworthiness.

OpenPGP/GPG key: 0x321E4E2373590E5D  I provide GPG Training services
IRC nick: Hasimir (Freenode and elsewhere)
BTC address: 19hiwsQq7xMAEyQMdiyGjkMGNmpN6GA5wL
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 02:46:55 PM

Yes, but we're all in the same country so we must know each other and be colluding against the rest of the world.  It's a vast conspiracy.  Nevermind the fact that there's 23 million of us spread over a land mass about four fifths the size of the United States, it's still a conspiracy of convicts!

Exactly Grin

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 08:59:19 PM
Last edit: November 26, 2012, 12:13:29 AM by repentance

My own issues with them, for example, were always in the nature of competence rather than trustworthiness.

And if the argument being made was that they over-estimated the market share they would be able to capture and under-estimated the inherent problems in operating a Bitcoin exchange I would absolutely agree with that assessment.  I don't believe that anyone can successfully operate a Bitcoin exchange long-term in Australia at the moment because I don't think they can get sufficient volume to off-set the overheads and make a worthwhile profit.

I'll certainly re-consider my opinion of their trustworthiness if users do not start receiving refunds soon, but right now I'm not seeing any evidence of any plan to cut and run with user funds.  The actual evidence points more towards an idea that didn't work out and moving on to other things (for the record, I am checking ASIC notices daily and will certainly let people know if any indication of insolvency shows up - they'd be absolutely crazy not to seek insolvency protection if KenseyCol is in fact insolvent).  I'm also perfectly happy to help users navigate the legal options available to them in the event that user funds are not returned in a timely manner.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: