Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:11:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Terminology  (Read 79694 times)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 04:30:32 AM

Hi Phin, thanks for your positive comments and contributions.

I followed the link but I am still unclear about the definition of 'Three-pronged Attack'.

I always have been, but I think it's mostly a reference to Bruce Wagner and his, now infamous, BS as the self-appointed representative of all things Bitcoin.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 04:42:25 AM

Hi Phin, thanks for your positive comments and contributions.

I followed the link but I am still unclear about the definition of 'Three-pronged Attack'.

Multi-vector attack.  Named after a method made famous by Bruce Wagner [ for soliciting sex from "boys" ] which includes indirect techniques combined with more direct ones.  

Wink
yogi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 05:16:04 AM

OK, I have added an entry for 'Three-pronged Attack'.

Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 05:16:15 PM

more...

Mining and technical:

Block reward

reward halving

difficulty [ adjustment ]

transaction fee

A "miner" could also be the software used to mine and not just a person who mines.

Business etc.:

ROI - return on investment

POS - 1. Point of sale
         2. piece of shit

OTC - over the counter

#bitcoin-otc - An over the counter market for Bitcoins, with an open order book, and a web of trust based on GPG keys.

WOT - web of trust

Speculation:

long - the position of bulls. "It's going UP UP UP!"

short - the position of bears. "It's going to ZERO!" 

technical analysis - the arcane science of trying to predict [ and/or influence ] the direction of the market [ the future price of a stock/currency/commodity ]
                           through the use of such things as necromancy ( consulting the dead; reading the entrails of goats... etc. ) and a type of abstract art
                           consisting of drawing straight lines over top of squiggly lines. 

leverage - using other people's money to make money for yourself... or, how to lose like a pro. 

Orgs:

EFF - Electronic Freedom Foundation
FSF - Free Software Foundation
CLAG - Cryptocurrency Legal Advocacy Group
DCAO - Secret society formed by MNW when he was rejected by the Illuminati and the Bilderberg Group

Misc:

P2P

Brony - Male ( usually adult ) with the inexplicable interests of a little girl. Can usually be spotted by their choice of avatar, being their favorite cartoon lesbian talking horse.
           ya I know... "haters gonna hate."

Smiley
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 05:27:34 PM

Goatse

My Little Pony

Rassah's Coffee Table
uk1
Copper Member

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 06:45:42 PM

Tor (anonymity network)

uk1
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 06:51:59 PM

genesis block is the first block of the blockchain released on Jan 4, 2009.

escrow service is one that holds payments made for a service and releases them to the intended recipient only after it has been verified that the recipient has kept his end of the deal.

A tumbler, or Bitcoin laundry, is a service that allows people to put their bitcoins in and then randomly hands them back and equal (perhaps minus a small fee) amount of bitcoins from someone else. These new bitcoins cannot be traced back to the old ones through the blockchain except by the tumbler operator themselves.

yogi (OP)
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 09:15:04 PM

@Portnoy

I have added all your suggestions, although a have edited down your definition for 'Technical Analysis'.

Also although I know the definition for 'My Little Pony' I enjoyed your definition of 'Brony' so much that I thought I'd ask you to author this one as well.

@Phin

I dont know the definition of;

'Goatse'
&
 'Rassah's Coffee Table'

@uk1

I have added all your suggestions and thank you for supplying the definitions, very much appreciated.

Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 10:29:46 PM

@Portnoy

I have added all your suggestions, although a have edited down your definition for 'Technical Analysis'.

Editors gonna edit.   Angry        Cheesy

Also although I know the definition for 'My Little Pony' I enjoyed your definition of 'Brony' so much that I thought I'd ask you to author this one as well.

Feel free to credit/blame me for any of the definitions I submit.   

I just thought of another one related to business...

PR - Public Relations, "Public relations is a strategic communication process that builds mutually beneficial relationships between organizations and their publics."
       Something sorely lacking in some, if not many, Bitcoin businesses. 

I won't mention any names - I probably don't have to - but I feel Slush gives a good example of the right way to do it.   Wink

Every day people are asking me how they can help us with this project. That's why I published this donation address, because in bitcoin world, sending even small donation is the easiest way to explain someone's support and interest. Time for preorders will come later, when we'll be absolutely sure that we can fulfill our obligations.

yogi (OP)
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 08:10:48 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2012, 09:38:26 PM by yogi

@Portnoy - added 'PR' thanks for the definition.

Also added; 'SEPA', 'PPS', 'Bot', 'Botnet', 'Hop', 'Hopping', 'Hop Proof', 'Bump' 'Bumping' &
'1) Start bitcoin business.  2)  Huh  3) Profit!'

[Edit] + 'Volatility', 'The Manipulator', 'Fiat', 'Keynesian', 'DoS' & 'DDoS'

Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 11:27:20 PM

taint

jelly - jealous

Randian - Follower of the views of Ayn Rand ( I will bite my tongue and not share my opinion of her "philosophy" )

TANSTAAFL - there ain't no such thing as a free lunch

faucet - site which gives out free coin to get newbies started ( or generate revenue from ads ), after Gavin Andresen's original Bitcoin Faucet ( currently closed ).

"shut up and take my money!"

bitcoind

Krugman fallacy - The view that Bitcoin will not succeed because of its deflationary nature: People will "hoard" it instead of spending it, expecting it to raise in value later.
                        Counter argument: While there will always be some who prefer to "save" their coin expecting it to increase in value, Bitcoin is valuable not because it is
                        some rare, shiny, historical store of value like gold but because it is 'useful' as a digital protocol which allows fast, secure, decentralized, pseudonymous,
                        p2p, transactions... etc.   
MAC

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 09:59:00 AM

Some of this was great to learn while some seemed to be thrown in to make it fun? Thanks
yogi (OP)
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 09:13:56 PM

@MAC

Thank you very much for taking the time to post, your words are encouraging, as I have been wondering if anybody actually found this thread to be useful.

Although all the entries on the list are common on the forum, some of the definitions are indeed humorous as humour is something that is also common on this forum.

If you have any ideas about how this list may be improved, then please let me know.

@Portnoy

Thank you for your continued effort  Smiley

Added - 'Taint', 'Jelly', 'Randian', 'TANSTAAFL', 'Faucet', 'Bitcoind' & 'Krugman Fallacy'

Although I have edited down your definition of 'Krugman Fallacy'. What can I say, editors gonna edit  Cheesy

Also added - 'Ask', 'Bid', 'Limited Order', 'Market Order', 'Wall', 'Martingale', 'Vanity Address', 'Vanity Generator' & 'Brain Wallet'

buttersstotch

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 02:27:33 PM

interesting stuff  Wink
bello5678

Activity: 5

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 03:50:39 PM

Thanks!
uk1
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2012, 04:43:02 PM

shitlist =scammer list

Portnoy
Legendary

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 04:44:41 PM

Crack

Brute force

~~~

Glad to see it got stickied...  oh wait...

Smiley
yogi (OP)
Legendary

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 09:11:18 PM

@buttersstotch &  bello5678

Thank you both for taking the time to post. I do like positive feedback   Smiley

@uk1

Added; 'Shitlist'

@Portnoy

Hey, it has been stickied   Grin

Added; 'Crack', 'Brute force' & 'Sticky'

Also added; 'Margin', 'IRC', 'Paper Wallet' & 'QR Code'

uk1
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 12:06:17 PM

mining rig= a computer system used for mining bitcoins.

ReubenMetcalfe

Activity: 17

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 05:42:32 PM

Thanks Yogi Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  

Jump to: