Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:35:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Niche List  (Read 9154 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 23, 2010, 04:00:16 PM
Last edit: December 16, 2010, 12:34:50 AM by kiba

This is Operation Economic Growth. Our mission is to grow the bitcoin economy by making everyone specialize in a narrow range of good and services.

Simply put, announce what you want to consume and I'll add it to the list. Somebody then will announce that he will try to enter that niche. There can be competition within niches too, but there are other niches to fill.

We'll hold those people "accountable" for their niches by plodding, encouraging, starting a thread and then getting disappointed when the service didn't come online etc.

Wanted Niches:

1. craigslist like classified ads for locale.

2. "Mechanical Turk"-like site that list simple jobs for people to do. Suggested by noagendamarket in the Stable Exchange Rate? topic of the Economic forum.

3. Beer supply store. Malt, yeasts, hops, etc.

4. Plant store for selling various herbs and stuff.

6. Hacker Academy. Free educational video. Flat tutiion fee classes. Pay as you go for personal tutors.

7. Dating site that accept bitcoins.

8. Easy encryption and backup service.

Niche filled or being worked on:

1. Advertising clearing house like http://projectwonderful.com. Suggested by mskwik.(I used projectwonderful to make tiny bit of money. I wonder if I can get more money from a bitcoin advertising clearing house) noagenda offered a large bounty on it and being worked on Biomike.

2. Download site like rapidshare and other crappy host. Inconvenient captcha and required paypal. Bitcoin can possibly take both roles and streamline the whole process. Suggested by Kiba. Taken by Hippich. Eventually sprawned 3 competitors.

3. Freelancer site. Taken by whichspace.

4. Pizza order system. You can order on the web, from the commandline, from your smartphone, sms, etc. Taken by mizerydearia.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mskwik

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2010, 07:14:16 PM

1. Download site like rapidshare and other crappy host. Inconvenient captcha and required paypal. Bitcoin can possibly take both roles and streamline the whole process. Suggested by Kiba.

That could be an interesting project.  I'd be willing to work on the technical side but not sure I really have time to do proper support/marketing.  Anyone interested in partnering up?

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2010, 08:10:38 PM

1. Download site like rapidshare and other crappy host. Inconvenient captcha and required paypal. Bitcoin can possibly take both roles and streamline the whole process. Suggested by Kiba.

That could be an interesting project.  I'd be willing to work on the technical side but not sure I really have time to do proper support/marketing.  Anyone interested in partnering up?
There will be nothing to market if there aren't anything to market. I suspect it required maybe only a week of development if you're competent. Other than that, it's about gaining critical mass of stuff to download before explosion, I suspect. Marketing can be something like gathering desirable and not illegal stuff to download, curating it, etc and than giving the link to people who want it. That can be done in your spare downtime until you find marketer worth his salt of set up an affiliate program that incentivized people to market for you.

Actually, I  didn't suggested it originally, but somebody else did in the thread about p0rn.

mskwik

View Profile
September 23, 2010, 10:50:50 PM

There will be nothing to market if there aren't anything to market. I suspect it required maybe only a week of development if you're competent. Other than that, it's about gaining critical mass of stuff to download before explosion, I suspect. Marketing can be something like gathering desirable and not illegal stuff to download, curating it, etc and than giving the link to people who want it. That can be done in your spare downtime until you find marketer worth his salt of set up an affiliate program that incentivized people to market for you.

That is very true, it is something that I could start development on by myself but the actual development won't really take all that long even just working on it in spare time.  The longer term job on the technical side will be keeping the central server running well and scaling up as needed.  On the other side in the beginning the marketing would be getting stuff to download (as you said) and yes an affiliate program of some sort could help there.  In the longer term there the issue is going to be providing help/support which is the big part I'm not really ready to take on.  I'm already on-call basically 24/7 for my main site, doing sysadmin stuff for another project (that would likely share the same infrastructure at least to start with) won't be a big deal but I'm well aware of how important good customer service is and don't want to jump into something that I'm not prepared to do a good job at.

Main reasons for finding a partner upfront would be 1) that they have some input in the design process (if you want to market to a content distributor that they can theme this download page to match their site then I want to know about that as soon as possible) and 2) so that they are familiar with how it is supposed to work from the beginning and can give feedback if it's not as userfriendly as they want or such.  Neither of these is a necessity, I can code it and get a small site going regardless but I am a programmer by trade and know my limitations and something like this will need more than some fancy code to be more than just a small site.

I've been considering some ideas already and am thinking I will put something together regardless, I guess this is more of an invitation for someone else who would be interested in running this sort of thing but may not have the technical skills to do it themselves to join me.

mskwik

View Profile
September 23, 2010, 11:08:49 PM

And on a separate note I think another niche that could use filling would be an advertising clearinghouse.  I've seen a couple sites that say they will accept BTC payments for ad space but a central place to do it would be nice to have.  I've been using http://www.projectwonderful.com/ on other sites and like the way they work, something like that would seem that it could work well with bitcoins.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2010, 11:57:07 PM

That is very true, it is something that I could start development on by myself but the actual development won't really take all that long even just working on it in spare time.  The longer term job on the technical side will be keeping the central server running well and scaling up as needed.  On the other side in the beginning the marketing would be getting stuff to download (as you said) and yes an affiliate program of some sort could help there.  In the longer term there the issue is going to be providing help/support which is the big part I'm not really ready to take on.  I'm already on-call basically 24/7 for my main site, doing sysadmin stuff for another project (that would likely share the same infrastructure at least to start with) won't be a big deal but I'm well aware of how important good customer service is and don't want to jump into something that I'm not prepared to do a good job at.

Main reasons for finding a partner upfront would be 1) that they have some input in the design process (if you want to market to a content distributor that they can theme this download page to match their site then I want to know about that as soon as possible) and 2) so that they are familiar with how it is supposed to work from the beginning and can give feedback if it's not as userfriendly as they want or such.  Neither of these is a necessity, I can code it and get a small site going regardless but I am a programmer by trade and know my limitations and something like this will need more than some fancy code to be more than just a small site.

I've been considering some ideas already and am thinking I will put something together regardless, I guess this is more of an invitation for someone else who would be interested in running this sort of thing but may not have the technical skills to do it themselves to join me.

I would think a markeeter these days need programming skills and statistics to analyze mass amount of data, doing A/B testing, etc. Although most of the work will be done within a week, I think you'll find that streamlining the download process, doing testing of different version of the site, will be a big part of your job. Let face it, there are many frustration in finding and downloading contents.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2010, 04:42:21 AM

Does anyone know about the captcha solving business? Seems you could play .02BTC or something and resell them bulk slightly higher. I've heard $2-3/1000. If people would do them at .02 you would be turning 20BTC into $2.

I don't know the details though. Who buys them? Do they want particular ones solved on demand or is a solved batch good for something?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2010, 04:44:51 AM

Does anyone know about the captcha solving business? Seems you could play .02BTC or something and resell them bulk slightly higher. I've heard $2-3/1000. If people would do them at .02 you would be turning 20BTC into $2.

I don't know the details though. Who buys them? Do they want particular ones solved on demand or is a solved batch good for something?

Not sure what you are talking about. I thought of bitcoin as a captcha itself. The theory goes that bitcoin are valuable stuff that spammers are reluctant to spend.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2010, 05:02:42 AM

Not sure what you are talking about. I thought of bitcoin as a captcha itself. The theory goes that bitcoin are valuable stuff that spammers are reluctant to spend.

There are 'sweatshops' in India(?), China(?) that have people solving captchas and selling them in bulk to hackers(?). I'm just remembering a bit of an article I read a while back.

I was thinking that it might make sense to decentralize the sweatshop to reduce overhead and make the micropayments to workers with bitcoin.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2010, 05:07:49 AM

I was thinking that it might make sense to decentralize the sweatshop to reduce overhead and make the micropayments to workers with bitcoin.
What possible legit captcha breaking activities would there be? What uses would it be to other bitcoin users, and what possible benefit would there be for the community?

Nobody have volunteer yet for any of those niches, which I think in theory can be done in a few weeks time.(my niche is writing the software for bitpredict)

Babylon

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 24, 2010, 05:12:18 AM

There are 'sweatshops' in India(?), China(?) that have people solving captchas and selling them in bulk to hackers(?). I'm just remembering a bit of an article I read a while back.

spammers, not hackers.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2010, 05:15:23 AM

What possible legit captcha breaking activities would there be? What uses would it be to other bitcoin users, and what possible benefit would there be for the community?

I dunno man, making 4000 gmail accounts to forward that email that makes Bill Gates give 1000 rainbows to dieing children?

I don't know legit uses, but I hate solving them, especially that IRC one and I'd pay .5BTC if I could click and make it solved.

Just a niche I thought of, prolly a bad one.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2010, 05:17:37 AM

I dunno man, making 4000 gmail accounts to forward that email that makes Bill Gates give 1000 rainbows to dieing children?

I don't know legit uses, but I hate solving them, especially that IRC one and I'd pay .5BTC if I could click and make it solved.

Just pay .5BTC that prove you are human. If you can make spammers pay for everything they spam, you have done well.

Babylon

View Profile
September 24, 2010, 05:39:25 AM

Just pay .5BTC that prove you are human. If you can make spammers pay for everything they spam, you have done well.

That works as an e-mail tax.  Doesn't work so well in the case of captchas, which are usually for registration on a site.  .5 is not enough to discourage a spammer form registering and too much to attach as a charge for every post.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2010, 06:06:19 AM

That works as an e-mail tax.  Doesn't work so well in the case of captchas, which are usually for registration on a site.  .5 is not enough to discourage a spammer form registering and too much to attach as a charge for every post.

.5 * 1000 is 500 bitcoin. .5 * 10000 or so is 5,000 bitcoin. .5 * 100000 is 50,000 bitcoin. Imagine if the spammer want to register million of time across sites. The cost will run up very quick.

Well, of course, you can adjust the price of posting a little bit.

Babylon

View Profile
September 24, 2010, 06:15:10 AM

That works as an e-mail tax.  Doesn't work so well in the case of captchas, which are usually for registration on a site.  .5 is not enough to discourage a spammer form registering and too much to attach as a charge for every post.

.5 * 1000 is 500 bitcoin. .5 * 10000 or so is 5,000 bitcoin. .5 * 100000 is 50,000 bitcoin. Imagine if the spammer want to register million of time across sites. The cost will run up very quick.

A spammer doesn't need to register millions of times though, just once per site.  Then he just sends millions of messages.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2010, 06:20:46 AM

A spammer doesn't need to register millions of times though, just once per site.  Then he just sends millions of messages.

I think spammers' scale tend to be bigger than that. Anyway, it is distracting from the purpose of the thread, although it is important to discuss the viability unless someone decided to try it anyway.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2010, 01:13:01 AM

So nobody is taking up some niches?  Cry

Anonymous

September 25, 2010, 03:42:12 AM

So nobody is taking up some niches?  Cry

They probably  are they just dont want to post about it.  Smiley
QuantumMechanic

Activity: 110
Merit: 19

View Profile
September 25, 2010, 04:14:44 AM

I'd like to see Bitcoin payments implemented into Tahoe-LAFS (distributed online storage), like Zooko was on here suggesting.  I would help, but I'm just learning how to program.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2010, 04:56:46 AM

I'd like to see Bitcoin payments implemented into Tahoe-LAFS (distributed online storage), like Zooko was on here suggesting.  I would help, but I'm just learning how to program.

Is this just a payment option added to an existing service or is it actually a new service?

Anonymous

September 26, 2010, 12:05:29 PM

2. Advertising clearing house like http://projectwonderful.com. Suggested by mskwik.(I used projectwonderful to make tiny bit of money. I wonder if I can get more money from a bitcoin advertising clearing house)

We are working on a bitcoin business directory so an advertising clearance house would be a natural fit with this. There is one developer working on the directory at the moment so another drupal developer or two to help us out would get it done a lot quicker.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2010, 12:54:44 PM

2. Advertising clearing house like http://projectwonderful.com. Suggested by mskwik.(I used projectwonderful to make tiny bit of money. I wonder if I can get more money from a bitcoin advertising clearing house)

We are working on a bitcoin business directory so an advertising clearance house would be a natural fit with this. There is one developer working on the directory at the moment so another drupal developer or two to help us out would get it done a lot quicker.

Moved #2 to niches being worked upon.

thrashaholic

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2010, 12:20:02 AM

Actually, I  didn't suggested it originally, but somebody else did in the thread about p0rn.

( Those who are fans of IP enforcement should just skip this part. Just sayin'. )

That was me, and I was specifically talking about targeting the less than legal area of file sharing.

Put simply, you're just not going to find legal content that will be effective in that market. Anything like OSS is mirrored for free and people aren't going to pay to download. Content owners aren't game - it'd be just another CDN to them, why would they pay in bitcoin, and why would their users pay per download/MB/GB when they're already paying for the content? That niche is solely about pirated content - like it or not.

Marketing would take hardly any effort, as I'm sure (with a good enough user pay flow) we could offer higher conversion rates and payouts for affiliates than the other shady CC required websites. It would take time to work out a business plan, but the actual development would take no time at all. (I could do it in a couple of days with a full-time effort) The files themselves could be shoved onto S3 or something. Just have to have someone handy with numbers to make sure it's profitable - otherwise nobody's going to waste their time.

Something like x amount of BTC per GB or MB (instead of a monthly membership), with an affiliate system would take over that market. Lots of people are willing to pay for better access to niche pirated content, but are reluctant to offer up CC and personal info directly for obvious reasons.

I also don't see how bitcoin could be used as a captcha, those are used to make sure there's a human on the other end and not a spam bot...you could easily automate the payments. For this niche, it's paying for high bandwidth, concurrent downloads of pirated content; it just won't work otherwise IMO.

Agorist developers apply within.  Grin

Moved #2 to niches being worked upon.

Ugh, Drupal. ::wilhelmscream:: I'd be willing to develop an advertising clearance house - I actually have a lot of industry experience there.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12985

View Profile
September 27, 2010, 01:14:45 AM

I also don't see how bitcoin could be used as a captcha, those are used to make sure there's a human on the other end and not a spam bot...you could easily automate the payments. For this niche, it's paying for high bandwidth, concurrent downloads of pirated content; it just won't work otherwise IMO.

Bitcoin can't prove that someone is human, but requiring a very small payment for each "dangerous" action is perfect for preventing abuse.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
QuantumMechanic

Activity: 110
Merit: 19

View Profile
September 27, 2010, 01:48:52 AM

Is this just a payment option added to an existing service or is it actually a new service?

The service exists, although the necessary accounting scheme has not been developed yet.
thrashaholic

Activity: 20

View Profile
September 28, 2010, 05:16:15 AM

Bitcoin can't prove that someone is human, but requiring a very small payment for each "dangerous" action is perfect for preventing abuse.

For spammers that make thousands upon thousands of dollars a year? The payments would have to be higher than the potential profits of the spam and it would likely push it out of reach of the average consumer. I'm not going to pay $0.50 to post a blog comment, ever. A big spammer could do that a thousand times and still not cut into their bottom line. I think the fact that spammers use Mechanical Turk to break captchas already is the proof in the pudding.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2010, 08:39:48 PM

Any more services and goods you want to see fulfilled? Is anybody working on any of the wanted niches?

satoshi
Founder

Activity: 364
Merit: 6723

View Profile
October 06, 2010, 11:10:31 PM
Last edit: October 09, 2010, 10:12:07 PM by satoshi

1. Download site like rapidshare and other crappy host. Inconvenient captcha and required paypal. Bitcoin can possibly take both roles and streamline the whole process.
Repeating myself here, but there is open source software for that, so it would just be a matter of bolting on a Bitcoin payment mechanism.  One good one I found was Mihalism Multi Host.  It's designed as a free host, so it would just need a few tweaks to loosen up restrictions consistent with paid use.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2010, 03:57:45 PM

Any more niches for people to fill?

asdf

Activity: 527

View Profile
October 07, 2010, 09:24:31 PM

I've been working on a site over the last few days. The idea is to grow the bitcoin economy outside the internet and into the real world. So I want to provide a service where people can post notices about goods and services that they are selling, in exchange for bitcoins, in their local area. Or conversely, people looking to buy goods and services for bitcoins in their local area.

So basically it will index notices by location, so people can do business directly. There are limitations as to what you can sell over the internet.

People will register and then compose a notice about their business and specify their country, state, city for indexing. The rest is up to them, I just provide the index.

I'm not sure what to call it and I'm not sure what business model to adopt (eg. charge 1BTC per notice).

Any thoughts, ideas, feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
asdf.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 07, 2010, 09:42:50 PM

Great idea!

A few thoughts.

Initially, I'd charge nothing for posting notices. As you want to generate trial of new users, the barrier must be low, especially as not all people are so familiar with it. (This is the model ebay followed very successfully in the beginning. once people are loyal, you can start charging small fees)

Name proposals:

i.e.
Trust(ed)Trade
Goods-for-bitcoins

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2010, 11:48:56 PM

I've been working on a site over the last few days. The idea is to grow the bitcoin economy outside the internet and into the real world. So I want to provide a service where people can post notices about goods and services that they are selling, in exchange for bitcoins, in their local area. Or conversely, people looking to buy goods and services for bitcoins in their local area.

So basically it will index notices by location, so people can do business directly. There are limitations as to what you can sell over the internet.

People will register and then compose a notice about their business and specify their country, state, city for indexing. The rest is up to them, I just provide the index.

I'm not sure what to call it and I'm not sure what business model to adopt (eg. charge 1BTC per notice).

Any thoughts, ideas, feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
asdf.

It's a good idea, but one of the main uses would be for people to meet up to trade cash to get their first bitcoins. It seems counterproductive to charge 1BTC first, especially considering most people would happily toss you 10 or 100BTC after you helped them hook up with a local bitcoiner.

Maybe a combo of donations and payment for top spots or highlighting. The bigger you get the more you can sell top spots for so you could consider even the people who don't donate to be improving your site.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2010, 11:50:44 PM

BitTogether. It sounds like "get together".

The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
October 08, 2010, 12:10:36 AM

I've thought about accepting Bitcoin for goods via craigslist and kijiji. It would definitely push Bitcoin into the mainstream.

I could sell my old car for Bitcoins! That would be fun as well as funny. Tongue
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 03:23:46 PM

I updated the wanted niches list to include local classified ads niche.

S3052
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 04:11:34 PM

we could also ask chess web sites to accept payments

i.e.
gameknot.com

etc.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 04:17:18 PM

we could also ask chess web sites to accept payments

i.e.
gameknot.com

etc.

This is not a thread about asking existing services but for bitcoiners to suggest niches and work on niches.

S3052
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 04:57:29 PM

sorry, my fault

Babylon

View Profile
October 10, 2010, 10:34:02 AM

Here are the things I'd like to buy with bitcoins.  I don't have a lot of bitcoins yet so even if they were for sale I might not buy them yet, but in the future I would.

herbs, specifically Banisteriopsis caapi, Mimosa Hostilis, and Nicotania Rustica

Shisha tobacco (the molasses coated flavoured stuff that one smokes in a hookah)

malt, hops, yeast and other beer making supplies

Actually the third I can get on paypal without any trouble currently, so I might not go through bitcoin to get them, it would depend on how much bitcoin I had, compared to how much paypal,  paypal does not allow the sale of tobacco to be paid for with their service, thus the desire for shisha sold for bitcoins.  Nicotania Rustica is also tobacco and the other two are herbs that paypal is likely to frown on.

I expect the market for various sacred herbs could be huge through bitcoin as paypal frowns on them and chargebacks are disturbingly common among purchasers.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.

████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2010, 03:10:26 PM

Updated niche list for plant store and beer supply store.

No takers on any of these project yet.

jago25_98

Activity: 900

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2010, 06:28:35 AM

I wouldn't call this niche but,

exchangers of some sort for widely accepted currency on each continent (at first) and then each country I think everyone would find useful. Border controls etc are where hawalaers get the biggest demand

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
hippich

Activity: 546

View Profile
October 11, 2010, 07:31:29 AM

I thought about filesharing service. I think about using S3 as hosting place and requesting payment each time someone wants download something and share these fees with person uploaded file.

If this this niche not taken yet, please, add me. I plan to start work on it after 17 Oct and hopefully get first beta within week or two.

Need to polish bitcoin poker room tho... =)))

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 11, 2010, 02:07:32 PM

I thought about filesharing service. I think about using S3 as hosting place and requesting payment each time someone wants download something and share these fees with person uploaded file.

If this this niche not taken yet, please, add me. I plan to start work on it after 17 Oct and hopefully get first beta within week or two.

Need to polish bitcoin poker room tho... =)))

Updated.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 11, 2010, 02:48:16 PM

Added a pizza web order niche.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2010, 08:08:41 PM

Added a new niche relating to learning.

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 08:01:07 AM

I'm all for a vWorker/freelancer style site that pays bounties in bitcoin. This way, people can do some useful work for bitcoins, instead of complaining it is hard to get free money with mining.

It would need to be secure and have some kind of escrow system. So unlike posting requests on the forum, the worker has to be sure that he gets his reward. It also needs to include a reputation system of some kind.

I have extensive Python/C++ programming expertise, also with transactional and distributed systems, and I might be interested to do the coding for such a site. I would need someone to do the site design/layout/user friendliness stuff though Smiley

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 08:03:57 AM

I'm all for a vWorker/freelancer style site that pays bounties in bitcoin. This way, people can do some useful work for bitcoins, instead of complaining it is hard to get free money with mining.

It would need to be secure and have some kind of escrow system. So unlike posting requests on the forum, the worker has to be sure that he gets his reward. It also needs to include a reputation system of some kind.

I have extensive Python/C++ programming expertise, also with transactional and distributed systems, and I might be interested to do the coding for such a site. I would need someone to do the site design/layout/user friendliness stuff though Smiley

Added your niche. Remember, I will pester people about their progress!

wumpus

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 08:05:16 AM

Yeah I thought I'd post it here instead of hijacking the other thread Smiley

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2010, 09:34:43 AM

Sounds like a mission for Ruby on Rails/Django =)

S3052
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 12:14:55 PM

A dating site that only accept bitcoin for dating.

this may be big.. but only if we are successful making bitcoins widespread enough, including women... by the way, what is the current gender split on bitcoin users / here in the forum? My guess is its 90% male..

tcatm

Activity: 337
Merit: 265

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 12:24:00 PM

I could help with the design/layout.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 12:46:48 PM

My guess is its 90% male..

My guess is 100% male.
S3052
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 12:48:43 PM

So,... should we create PINK or GLAMOURFUL looking bitcoins?

wumpus

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 12:49:24 PM

I could help with the design/layout.
Cool Smiley

My guess is 100% male.
Make it easy to spend bitcoins and the women will come  Grin Would be good for the economy, though, we're all hoarders now Tongue

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 02:53:40 PM

added dating site.

S3052
Legendary

View Profile
November 18, 2010, 06:40:42 PM

yeah!
next niche:
bitcoin shoe shopping!
and...
cosmetics
fragrances
womens designer clothes
Jewelery
beauty farms
male stripper home service

Anonymous

November 19, 2010, 12:47:40 AM

this may be big.. but only if we are successful making bitcoins widespread enough, including women... by the way, what is the current gender split on bitcoin users / here in the forum? My guess is its 90% male..

I thought of that awhile ago but with a twist. Bitcoin is the perfect tool for an agorist economy which attracts people who are liberty minded. This led me to think of a site which would target the liberty capital of the world which is New Hampshire and match people around the world who believe in those ideals online.

Most programmers and hackers lean libertarian so naturally they would have more in common with liberty minded people. Its a natural fit . Smiley

If someone wants to use this as the basis for a bitcoin dating site let me know. freestatedate.com was the domain I bought for the idea if you want to setup a site. I also have bitcoin.me and it would be cute to have a site called you.bitcoin.me where the only thing between you and me is bitcoin lol.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2010, 04:25:58 AM

Added a niche relating to easy one-click encryption and warehousing service for bitcoin.

hidden_citizen

Activity: 18

View Profile
November 25, 2010, 01:22:33 PM

I thought of that awhile ago but with a twist. Bitcoin is the perfect tool for an agorist economy which attracts people who are liberty minded. This led me to think of a site which would target the liberty capital of the world which is New Hampshire and match people around the world who believe in those ideals online.

Most programmers and hackers lean libertarian so naturally they would have more in common with liberty minded people. Its a natural fit . Smiley

If someone wants to use this as the basis for a bitcoin dating site let me know. freestatedate.com was the domain I bought for the idea if you want to setup a site. I also have bitcoin.me and it would be cute to have a site called you.bitcoin.me where the only thing between you and me is bitcoin lol.

Great idea!
I am not sure that I can/want to do this alone, but I would be happy to cooperate with somebody on Free State Dating. Anybody interested?

By the way, I think one of the niche of such a dating site could be international dating, which leads to the question of immigration through marriage. Theoretically speaking, there could even arises an illegal (bitcoin) market for marriages of conveniance. But I don't like that. I think that bona-fide international dating is a good thing.
hidden_citizen

View Profile
November 27, 2010, 11:50:10 AM
Last edit: November 27, 2010, 12:14:24 PM by hidden_citizen

I've just read about Diaspora, a decentralized social network, as an alternatice to Facebook, and was bearing in mind the discussion about dating sites. So, what do you think about the idea of a distributed and decentralized dating network? It's just so simple: we have decentralized communications via Skype, decentralized file sharing (BitTorrent), the decentralized Tor network, now decentralized social networks; so why don't be a decentralized dating network? It seems that the discontent with the lack of privacy (and other issues inherent to centralization) on dating websites is even stronger than with social networks like Facebook, don't you think?
Anonymous

November 27, 2010, 11:55:32 AM

We do have decentralized dating. Its called going to the nightclub lol.
hidden_citizen

View Profile
November 27, 2010, 12:10:59 PM

We do have decentralized dating. Its called going to the nightclub lol.
Hm... Really? Isn't it centralized? Isn't the nightclub's owner a central authority? Smiley
S3052
Legendary

View Profile
November 27, 2010, 12:31:56 PM

I've just read about Diaspora, a decentralized social network, as an alternatice to Facebook, and was bearing in mind the discussion about dating sites. So, what do you think about the idea of a distributed and decentralized dating network? It's just so simple: we have decentralized communications via Skype, decentralized file sharing (BitTorrent), the decentralized Tor network, now decentralized social networks; so why don't be a decentralized dating network? It seems that the discontent with the lack of privacy (and other issues inherent to centralization) on dating websites is even stronger than with social networks like Facebook, don't you think?

The decentralized dating idea has huge potential to appeal to people.
this is a great white space territory that can be occupied

Anonymous

November 27, 2010, 12:50:12 PM

The decentralized dating idea has huge potential to appeal to people.
this is a great white space territory that can be occupied

Couldnt you just build a diaspora dating server?

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 01:23:00 AM

More people needed to fulfill niches!

Waterfox

Activity: 37

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 01:40:19 AM

I'll be working a little bit on:
1. craigslist like classified ads for locale.
5. Pizza order system. You can order on the web, from the commandline, from your smartphone, sms, etc.

And maybe on:
2. Download site like rapidshare and other crappy host. Inconvenient captcha and required paypal. Bitcoin can possibly take both roles and streamline the whole process.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2010, 01:42:37 AM

2. Download site like rapidshare and other crappy host. Inconvenient captcha and required paypal. Bitcoin can possibly take both roles and streamline the whole process.

There are already fierce competition in the download space. There is ubitio.us, bitcoinservice.co.uk, and pastecoin.com.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2010, 12:35:20 AM

Pizza niche is now taken up by mizerydearia.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 19, 2011, 11:08:17 PM

I updated the wanted niches list to include local classified ads niche.

Mark that under the "Done" category?
  http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BTC_Mart
The site does support a location field however at this time the it is limited to parts of Europe and Asia.

On a related note, here's something interesting
  http://www.seasteading.org/sinkorswim-contest-winners
  which awarded cash prizes to five contestants, through: http://beta.humanipo.com

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

BitcoinPorn

Activity: 630

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 06:36:16 PM

Interesting old ass thread that I think could use a revisit.   The Bitcoin.org forums really were more tight knit not too long ago, I am actually glad it isn't, shows growth of Bitcoin itself, but I think a lot of things in this thread could be looked over again by new eyes Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: