Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:46:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Niche List  (Read 9154 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 25, 2010, 04:56:46 AM

I'd like to see Bitcoin payments implemented into Tahoe-LAFS (distributed online storage), like Zooko was on here suggesting.  I would help, but I'm just learning how to program.

Is this just a payment option added to an existing service or is it actually a new service?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anonymous

September 26, 2010, 12:05:29 PM

2. Advertising clearing house like http://projectwonderful.com. Suggested by mskwik.(I used projectwonderful to make tiny bit of money. I wonder if I can get more money from a bitcoin advertising clearing house)

We are working on a bitcoin business directory so an advertising clearance house would be a natural fit with this. There is one developer working on the directory at the moment so another drupal developer or two to help us out would get it done a lot quicker.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2010, 12:54:44 PM

2. Advertising clearing house like http://projectwonderful.com. Suggested by mskwik.(I used projectwonderful to make tiny bit of money. I wonder if I can get more money from a bitcoin advertising clearing house)

We are working on a bitcoin business directory so an advertising clearance house would be a natural fit with this. There is one developer working on the directory at the moment so another drupal developer or two to help us out would get it done a lot quicker.

Moved #2 to niches being worked upon.

thrashaholic

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2010, 12:20:02 AM

1. Download site like rapidshare and other crappy host. Inconvenient captcha and required paypal. Bitcoin can possibly take both roles and streamline the whole process. Suggested by Kiba.

That could be an interesting project.  I'd be willing to work on the technical side but not sure I really have time to do proper support/marketing.  Anyone interested in partnering up?
There will be nothing to market if there aren't anything to market. I suspect it required maybe only a week of development if you're competent. Other than that, it's about gaining critical mass of stuff to download before explosion, I suspect. Marketing can be something like gathering desirable and not illegal stuff to download, curating it, etc and than giving the link to people who want it. That can be done in your spare downtime until you find marketer worth his salt of set up an affiliate program that incentivized people to market for you.

Actually, I  didn't suggested it originally, but somebody else did in the thread about p0rn.

( Those who are fans of IP enforcement should just skip this part. Just sayin'. )

That was me, and I was specifically talking about targeting the less than legal area of file sharing.

Put simply, you're just not going to find legal content that will be effective in that market. Anything like OSS is mirrored for free and people aren't going to pay to download. Content owners aren't game - it'd be just another CDN to them, why would they pay in bitcoin, and why would their users pay per download/MB/GB when they're already paying for the content? That niche is solely about pirated content - like it or not.

Marketing would take hardly any effort, as I'm sure (with a good enough user pay flow) we could offer higher conversion rates and payouts for affiliates than the other shady CC required websites. It would take time to work out a business plan, but the actual development would take no time at all. (I could do it in a couple of days with a full-time effort) The files themselves could be shoved onto S3 or something. Just have to have someone handy with numbers to make sure it's profitable - otherwise nobody's going to waste their time.

Something like x amount of BTC per GB or MB (instead of a monthly membership), with an affiliate system would take over that market. Lots of people are willing to pay for better access to niche pirated content, but are reluctant to offer up CC and personal info directly for obvious reasons.

I also don't see how bitcoin could be used as a captcha, those are used to make sure there's a human on the other end and not a spam bot...you could easily automate the payments. For this niche, it's paying for high bandwidth, concurrent downloads of pirated content; it just won't work otherwise IMO.

Agorist developers apply within.  Grin

Moved #2 to niches being worked upon.

Ugh, Drupal. ::wilhelmscream:: I'd be willing to develop an advertising clearance house - I actually have a lot of industry experience there.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12865

View Profile
September 27, 2010, 01:14:45 AM

I also don't see how bitcoin could be used as a captcha, those are used to make sure there's a human on the other end and not a spam bot...you could easily automate the payments. For this niche, it's paying for high bandwidth, concurrent downloads of pirated content; it just won't work otherwise IMO.

Bitcoin can't prove that someone is human, but requiring a very small payment for each "dangerous" action is perfect for preventing abuse.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
QuantumMechanic

Activity: 110
Merit: 19

View Profile
September 27, 2010, 01:48:52 AM

I'd like to see Bitcoin payments implemented into Tahoe-LAFS (distributed online storage), like Zooko was on here suggesting.  I would help, but I'm just learning how to program.

Is this just a payment option added to an existing service or is it actually a new service?

The service exists, although the necessary accounting scheme has not been developed yet.
thrashaholic

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 28, 2010, 05:16:15 AM

Bitcoin can't prove that someone is human, but requiring a very small payment for each "dangerous" action is perfect for preventing abuse.

For spammers that make thousands upon thousands of dollars a year? The payments would have to be higher than the potential profits of the spam and it would likely push it out of reach of the average consumer. I'm not going to pay $0.50 to post a blog comment, ever. A big spammer could do that a thousand times and still not cut into their bottom line. I think the fact that spammers use Mechanical Turk to break captchas already is the proof in the pudding.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2010, 08:39:48 PM

Any more services and goods you want to see fulfilled? Is anybody working on any of the wanted niches?

satoshi
Founder

Activity: 364
Merit: 6722

View Profile
October 06, 2010, 11:10:31 PM
Last edit: October 09, 2010, 10:12:07 PM by satoshi

1. Download site like rapidshare and other crappy host. Inconvenient captcha and required paypal. Bitcoin can possibly take both roles and streamline the whole process.
Repeating myself here, but there is open source software for that, so it would just be a matter of bolting on a Bitcoin payment mechanism.  One good one I found was Mihalism Multi Host.  It's designed as a free host, so it would just need a few tweaks to loosen up restrictions consistent with paid use.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2010, 03:57:45 PM

Any more niches for people to fill?

asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2010, 09:24:31 PM

I've been working on a site over the last few days. The idea is to grow the bitcoin economy outside the internet and into the real world. So I want to provide a service where people can post notices about goods and services that they are selling, in exchange for bitcoins, in their local area. Or conversely, people looking to buy goods and services for bitcoins in their local area.

So basically it will index notices by location, so people can do business directly. There are limitations as to what you can sell over the internet.

People will register and then compose a notice about their business and specify their country, state, city for indexing. The rest is up to them, I just provide the index.

I'm not sure what to call it and I'm not sure what business model to adopt (eg. charge 1BTC per notice).

Any thoughts, ideas, feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
asdf.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 07, 2010, 09:42:50 PM

Great idea!

A few thoughts.

Initially, I'd charge nothing for posting notices. As you want to generate trial of new users, the barrier must be low, especially as not all people are so familiar with it. (This is the model ebay followed very successfully in the beginning. once people are loyal, you can start charging small fees)

Name proposals:

i.e.
Trust(ed)Trade
Goods-for-bitcoins

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2010, 11:48:56 PM

I've been working on a site over the last few days. The idea is to grow the bitcoin economy outside the internet and into the real world. So I want to provide a service where people can post notices about goods and services that they are selling, in exchange for bitcoins, in their local area. Or conversely, people looking to buy goods and services for bitcoins in their local area.

So basically it will index notices by location, so people can do business directly. There are limitations as to what you can sell over the internet.

People will register and then compose a notice about their business and specify their country, state, city for indexing. The rest is up to them, I just provide the index.

I'm not sure what to call it and I'm not sure what business model to adopt (eg. charge 1BTC per notice).

Any thoughts, ideas, feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
asdf.

It's a good idea, but one of the main uses would be for people to meet up to trade cash to get their first bitcoins. It seems counterproductive to charge 1BTC first, especially considering most people would happily toss you 10 or 100BTC after you helped them hook up with a local bitcoiner.

Maybe a combo of donations and payment for top spots or highlighting. The bigger you get the more you can sell top spots for so you could consider even the people who don't donate to be improving your site.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2010, 11:50:44 PM

BitTogether. It sounds like "get together".

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
October 08, 2010, 12:10:36 AM

I've thought about accepting Bitcoin for goods via craigslist and kijiji. It would definitely push Bitcoin into the mainstream.

I could sell my old car for Bitcoins! That would be fun as well as funny. Tongue
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 03:23:46 PM

I updated the wanted niches list to include local classified ads niche.

S3052
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 04:11:34 PM

we could also ask chess web sites to accept payments

i.e.
gameknot.com

etc.

kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 04:17:18 PM

we could also ask chess web sites to accept payments

i.e.
gameknot.com

etc.

This is not a thread about asking existing services but for bitcoiners to suggest niches and work on niches.

S3052
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2010, 04:57:29 PM

sorry, my fault

Babylon

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 10, 2010, 10:34:02 AM

Here are the things I'd like to buy with bitcoins.  I don't have a lot of bitcoins yet so even if they were for sale I might not buy them yet, but in the future I would.

herbs, specifically Banisteriopsis caapi, Mimosa Hostilis, and Nicotania Rustica

Shisha tobacco (the molasses coated flavoured stuff that one smokes in a hookah)

malt, hops, yeast and other beer making supplies

Actually the third I can get on paypal without any trouble currently, so I might not go through bitcoin to get them, it would depend on how much bitcoin I had, compared to how much paypal,  paypal does not allow the sale of tobacco to be paid for with their service, thus the desire for shisha sold for bitcoins.  Nicotania Rustica is also tobacco and the other two are herbs that paypal is likely to frown on.

I expect the market for various sacred herbs could be huge through bitcoin as paypal frowns on them and chargebacks are disturbingly common among purchasers.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print