Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:31:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HOW CAN I USE CLIENT'S COMPUTERS TO MINE BIT COINS?  (Read 856 times)
adax (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 11:09:49 PM

I'm very new to this so please forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere. I DID search the forums looking for a thread where this has been addressed and I was unable to find this question answered.

Question:    How can I set up my client's computers to mine for Bit Coins as a pool?

Background info:   I work for a small computer repair company and we have 50+ clients. I've already gained permission from the clients whose computers I want to use (I'm not doing anything illegal here) and now I'm looking for ways to have the computers connected, mine together, and dump BTCs in my wallet. Is this more complicated than I think it is? Do you recommend any additional hardware? Ideally I would like to be able to have this system fully automated so that once the client's work day is over and their computer is free to use, their computers sync and mine together. What do I need to set this up?

Thank you for your help.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
prezbo

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 11:11:45 PM

Not worth it, and it will be worth even less in a few weeks. Use the time for something more productive.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 11:12:18 PM

Do your client's computers have modern dedicated graphics cards installed?  ATI 58XX , 6XXX, or 7XXX series?  If not, it is not worth your trouble.  You'll make pennies a day while your client pays dollars a day for electricity.  If so, it may be worth your trouble, but only for a few weeks, until ASICs ship out.  Once ASICs are up and running, graphics cards will be just as old and slow as CPU's are now, and you'll again be back to making pennies a day while your client pays dollars a day for electricity.
adax (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 11:16:17 PM

Not worth it, and it will be worth even less in a few weeks. Use the time for something more productive.

Thank you for your input. Will you please elaborate? Why is this not worth it?
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2012, 11:18:02 PM

Answer this:  do these computers have very high end graphics cards or not?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
adax (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 11:20:01 PM

Do your client's computers have modern dedicated graphics cards installed?  ATI 58XX , 6XXX, or 7XXX series?  If not, it is not worth your trouble. You'll make pennies a day while your client pays dollars a day for electricity.  If so, it may be worth your trouble, but only for a few weeks, until ASICs ship out.  Once ASICs are up and running, graphics cards will be just as old and slow as CPU's are now, and you'll again be back to making pennies a day while your client pays dollars a day for electricity.

I just looked into ASICs. This is the link I just read:  http://bitcoinmagazine.net/butterfly-labs-releases-more-asic-photos/

Should I hold off mining using client's computers and instead buy one of these?

prezbo

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 11:23:03 PM

Do your client's computers have modern dedicated graphics cards installed?  ATI 58XX , 6XXX, or 7XXX series?  If not, it is not worth your trouble. You'll make pennies a day while your client pays dollars a day for electricity.  If so, it may be worth your trouble, but only for a few weeks, until ASICs ship out.  Once ASICs are up and running, graphics cards will be just as old and slow as CPU's are now, and you'll again be back to making pennies a day while your client pays dollars a day for electricity.

I just looked into ASICs. This is the link I just read:  http://bitcoinmagazine.net/butterfly-labs-releases-more-asic-photos/

If you haven't so far, I would suggest not mining at all. If you want to get bitcoins sell some stuff for bitcoin, offer services, get your business to accept bitcoin as payment, etc. Mining isn't some get-rich-quick scheme. It's not quick, and it most definitely won't make you rich.
adax (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 11:24:59 PM

If you haven't so far, I would suggest not mining at all. If you want to get bitcoins sell some stuff for bitcoin, offer services, get your business to accept bitcoin as payment, etc.

Why would you suggest not mining at all?
adax (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 11:26:01 PM

Answer this:  do these computers have very high end graphics cards or not?

Yes, about 20 of them do have high end graphics cards. I can get the companies that don't have better graphics cards to upgrade.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2012, 11:26:09 PM

I likewise would suggest not mining.  It's probably not worth the effort.  Each person who says you'll make pennies while costing your clients dollars is spot-on.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
prezbo

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 11:30:50 PM

Answer this:  do these computers have very high end graphics cards or not?

Yes, about 20 of them do have high end graphics cards. I can get the companies that don't have better graphics cards to upgrade.

Because mining is so last year, everyone is doing it, so it's barely worth the effort. If you want to help (and make a profit), get your business to accept bitcoin. That's what is needed the most right now.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2012, 11:32:30 PM

It's unlikely that you'll mine enough coins for the net gain to be worthwhile.

For the average miner, it's only worthwhile if you can stick someone else with all the bills (like a landlord who pays the power, or the company who shoulders the cost of the graphics cards) and then ignore the fact that you're just taking money out of their pockets by stealth.

On the other hand if you wait long enough, enough people are going to be throwing in the towel soon that you might be able to get a decent deal on graphics cards.  Case in point: in early 2011 I bought graphics cards for $650 each, and mined coins - but didn't mine as many coins as I could have bought for the same amount.  But after months of mining, I sold the cards for about half what I paid for them.  The buyers of my cards had to face a much higher difficulty but also got in the game for half the price, and it was a good deal for me because although I didn't make $650 from each card, I definitely made more than half of that, which meant selling my cards put me in the positive.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Jaw3bmasters

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Another block in the wall

View Profile
November 19, 2012, 11:42:41 PM

Mine another crypto-currency. One of them will eventually be as Bitcoin was.

In Cryptography we trust.
HotSwap

Activity: 806
Merit: 1000

COINMIXER.NET

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 02:55:29 AM

Mine another crypto-currency. One of them will eventually be as Bitcoin was.

Yes I agree, you could use them to mine LTC that would be the best option now.

High Volume, Secure Bitcoin Mixer: https://CoinMixer.net
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 04:23:22 AM

I think you'll find that your 50+ clients will dwindle once they start realizing that this little program you're installing to use untapped computer cycles uses an unreasonable amount of power, makes their computers less responsive, and makes the office louder and hotter. It's a very bad idea, IMO.
panda1

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 04:30:22 AM

Learn how to set up your own computer to mine first, then you'll see if using your clients' computers to mine is plausible.
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 05:13:14 AM

Why would you suggest not mining at all?

Basically this is the wrong time to get into mining.

Check back in march of next year... that will either be a better time or bitcoin will be dead.

IMO bitcoin will survive the jump to ASIC... once that happens you'll be in a better position to see if it's viable for you. Chances are without a very large initial investment ($50,000 - $250,000) it will be a non-starter.

l0ud

Activity: 23

View Profile
November 20, 2012, 12:15:24 PM
Last edit: September 14, 2018, 10:39:47 AM by l0ud

lol, I remember doing this with a few hundred computers in my company to mine coins for me. it required a bunch of work and hundreds of wallets but it worsk but GPU's and ASICs are way better now, have some of those running as we speak
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: