Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 01:36:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 77 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoins safe?  (Read 90051 times)
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2015, 07:49:28 AM

Of course Bitcoin isn't safe, you'd be crazy to liquidate your assets and dump the money into Bitcoin. Just ask yourself how you would feel if you wake up one morning only to find that your 2 mil is now worth 700k  Cheesy However if you're operating an illegal and highly profitable business then funneling your profits into Bitcoin is not such a bad idea, the government doesn't yet have the proper system in place to deal with that type of money laundering  Wink
Kevin77
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 08:44:00 AM

Of course Bitcoin isn't safe, you'd be crazy to liquidate your assets and dump the money into Bitcoin. Just ask yourself how you would feel if you wake up one morning only to find that your 2 mil is now worth 700k  Cheesy However if you're operating an illegal and highly profitable business then funneling your profits into Bitcoin is not such a bad idea, the government doesn't yet have the proper system in place to deal with that type of money laundering  Wink

Never ever invest all your money into bitcoin ecosystem. It is many times highly emphasized by many bitcoin veterans. Because bitcoin still in it's testing phase, but highly developing towards reliable and reputable.
But as long as Cryptography is safe bitcoin also safe.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 10:27:51 AM

If you do it at this point, then your $2 million will increase significantly in value just before the block halving. Then you're not crazy. Wink In normal circumstances, you have a good point. Especially when people don't know the difference between the bottom and the top at the moment of investing. 
copperhorse111

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 12:09:47 PM

From a legal aspect I think BTC is OK, it's a commodity now in the US and may be taxed etc... but I don't think it will "banned" or "confiscated" anytime soon, from a security aspect it can be safe if hidden and kept in good security "antivirus, offline computers etc..."

♦  Bitcoin-Scratchticket.com  ♦   ♦  Win Bitcoin Playing Scratchtickets  ♦    ♦  Provably Fair  ♦ 
ObscureBean
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2015, 01:00:35 PM

Of course Bitcoin isn't safe, you'd be crazy to liquidate your assets and dump the money into Bitcoin. Just ask yourself how you would feel if you wake up one morning only to find that your 2 mil is now worth 700k  Cheesy However if you're operating an illegal and highly profitable business then funneling your profits into Bitcoin is not such a bad idea, the government doesn't yet have the proper system in place to deal with that type of money laundering  Wink

If you do it at this point, then your $2 million will increase significantly in value just before the block halving. Then you're not crazy. Wink In normal circumstances, you have a good point. Especially when people don't know the difference between the bottom and the top at the moment of investing.  

Hmmm let's see now, if this is such a sure thing, I'm guessing you're already in the process of selling your house along with everything else you own just so you're able to ride the wave to the max right?  Wink All this to say that Bitcoin is still very much a gamble else everyone would be pouring their hard earned cents into it. If another MtGox incident so much as shows the tip of it's nose, Bitcoin value will drop before you know it.
prodigy8

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 01:46:52 AM

Is it safe to keep all of my assets in Bitcoins? And how Department for Combating Economic Crimes, can affect my account?  What permissions they need , to freeze all my money ?
I think that to free your account they should access you private key,

Or if your wallet is on third party wallets then they can contact that company and freeze your account.

But it's simply impossible to freeze your account if you do not give them the private key, master seed etc.
MaritiJames3

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 06:17:22 PM

Having a lot of bitcoins I know it is risky to depend on 1 asset.
Especially since it is so volatile. Therefore i got some stop loss orders and my preferred exchange. This way my potential lost is not a lot.
takingthis4

Activity: 504

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 07:58:30 PM

i dont think its safe to keep all your money in bitcoins as its price might drop a lot

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 10:16:05 PM
Last edit: January 01, 2016, 11:54:30 PM by Snorek

i dont think its safe to keep all your money in bitcoins as its price might drop a lot
It is not safe to keep your money in one bank or invested in one project, company or FIAT currency either. Bitcoin is volatile and every bitcoin user should know that already.
Nobody can guarantee that bitcoin price won't go down as bitcoin is not centrally controlled but I think you can agree so far you could earn from bitcoin a lot more than you will lose.
davinchi
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1058

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 12:45:07 AM

It is not safe to keep your money in one bank or invested in one project, company or FIAT currency either. Bitcoin is volatile and every bitcoin user should know that already.
Nobody can guarantee that bitcoin price won't go down as bitcoin is not centrally controlled but I think you can agree so far you could earn from bitcoin a lot more than you will lose.

The investments we are putting into bitcoin also would be safer for assured higher returns. But it would take some long time than what we are imagining. But in long term definitely we can get good returns with the bitcoin. In terms of returns bitcoin is always safe to invest.
lixer

Activity: 2520
Merit: 586

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 06:30:00 PM

The investments we are putting into bitcoin also would be safer for assured higher returns. But it would take some long time than what we are imagining. But in long term definitely we can get good returns with the bitcoin. In terms of returns bitcoin is always safe to invest.

I too believe strongly with bitcoin's safety. We can invest into bitcoin as well we can use bitcoin like a currency. In both ways bitcoin must be very much secure. We need not to worry about losing our money when we are storing bitcoin. With the strong cryptography bitcoin ecosystem with secure our investment with bitcoin.

lahm-44

Activity: 336

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 07:55:01 PM

this is the main problem which according to me should be discussed as soon as possible becase most of the people has this question running in their mind . honestly i dont think bitcoin is safe to invest our money . bitcoin has the best technology but its advantages gives born to its disadvantages like anomusity ( sorry about spelling ) this is also a important confustion going on with it . even satoshi has ignored his own currency because he knows something is bad and if the price playes this sea saw then i am sure we are going to losse a lot
Dotnetin

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 09:32:18 PM

The governments might not have such a system to deal with bitcoin money laundering, but if it wants, it will catch you.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 03:20:45 AM

I can only go up at this point to be honest. Right now it's pretty crazy that we are still at 3 figures, slowly everyone is realizing how undervalued Bitcoin is, its marketcap is minuscule, something like Uber has 10 times more billions... look at the potential.
samanas

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 04:20:54 PM

I can only go up at this point to be honest. Right now it's pretty crazy that we are still at 3 figures, slowly everyone is realizing how undervalued Bitcoin is, its marketcap is minuscule, something like Uber has 10 times more billions... look at the potential.

It will take several decades for bitcoin to be popular in the world and infrastructure to be built. So Just be patient.
XinXan

Activity: 1064
Merit: 505

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 04:27:44 PM

The governments might not have such a system to deal with bitcoin money laundering, but if it wants, it will catch you.

Obviously, like it happened to silk road but OP is asking about safety in terms of stability which we all know is very low. Bitcoin has the possibility of becoming one of the most popular currencies in the world but can also fall down and be at 0$ the volatility is just too high at this moment to know which one will happen.
Whosdaddy

Merit: 527

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 04:01:05 AM

Bitcoin is always safe. But many people are missing their actions towards securing their wallet and allowing the hackers to access their wallets and blaming bitcoin ecosystem. As long as you keep your wallets safely, bitcoin will remain safer for you.
Kevin77
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 04:20:48 AM

Bitcoin is always safe. But many people are missing their actions towards securing their wallet and allowing the hackers to access their wallets and blaming bitcoin ecosystem. As long as you keep your wallets safely, bitcoin will remain safer for you.

Yes basically bitcoin must be very much safe from any hackers or any kind of Trojan or virus. But we need to take some necessary steps to protect our hard-earned bitcoin like storing them in cold storage wallets and protecting our wallets with the lengthy passwords.
CrimBit

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 04:22:59 AM

the safety wallet for me is hardware wallet and paperwallet, also bitcoin QT wallet ( must use strong passphare/pasword, and back up it) some people use online wallet service, and they are not know if online wallet can shutdown his service, or online wallet can acces his bitcoin then our bitcoin stolen and lost it

and i believe BItcoin is safe
pocarime32

Activity: 420

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 05:14:06 AM

the safety wallet for me is hardware wallet and paperwallet, also bitcoin QT wallet ( must use strong passphare/pasword, and back up it) some people use online wallet service, and they are not know if online wallet can shutdown his service, or online wallet can acces his bitcoin then our bitcoin stolen and lost it

and i believe BItcoin is safe

Yes i agree with you. Bitcoin is safe if you save your bitcoin into hardware wallet or paperwallet, because if you have big amount of bitcoin and you save it on online wallet. it's a bit risky imo.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 77 »
  Print  

Jump to: