Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:29:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S7 and EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 proper cabling  (Read 3201 times)
blockwalls (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 10:08:44 PM

TL;DR first... Exactly what ports & adapters do I use on the EVGA 1300 to get to 10 PCIE connections since it only comes with wiring for 8 PCIE?

Now the longer version...

I just received my first miner the S7 (batch 6) and based on popular feedback got the the EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 power supply to go with it.  Now that I have everything I am curious which plugs I'm supposed to use on the PSU.  There are 6 red plugs labeled VGA, and various others labeled SATA, CPU, and PERIF.  I see various posts saying to use PCI-E splitters (PCIEXSPLIT6 6-Inch PCI Express Power Splitter Cable) and/or molex adapters (LP4 to 6 Pin PCI Express Video Card Power Cable Adapter), but wanted to make sure I'm using the appropriate combination to avoid issues.  It's too expensive of a machine to take a trial and error approach.

I know that the VGA ports are the PCI-E ports so my assumption is that I'm either supposed to use the 6 VGA plugs with several splitters or possibly a combination of the 6 VGA plugs and the two PERIF plugs with molex adapters.  I just want some confirmation or validation on the best approach to using this power supply without the risk of overloading the PSU or wires.

For what it's worth I am in the US and I currently have my setup running to a dedicated 20 amp circuit that I ran with 12 gauge wire, but it's only running with 2 boards since that's all I could get running safely without starting to use splitters.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.  I really appreciate all the posts I've been reading on this forum to get me as far as I've gotten having only started this yesterday.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 10:28:27 PM

TL;DR first... Exactly what ports & adapters do I use on the EVGA 1300 to get to 10 PCIE connections since it only comes with wiring for 8 PCIE?

I just received my first miner the S7 (batch 6) and based on popular feedback got the the EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 power supply to go with it.  Now that I have everything I am curious which plugs I'm supposed to use on the PSU.  There are 6 red plugs labeled VGA, and various others labeled SATA, CPU, and PERIF.  I see various posts saying to use PCI-E splitters (PCIEXSPLIT6 6-Inch PCI Express Power Splitter Cable) and/or molex adapters (LP4 to 6 Pin PCI Express Video Card Power Cable Adapter), but wanted to make sure I'm using the appropriate combination to avoid issues.  It's too expensive of a machine to take a trial and error approach.

I know that the VGA ports are the PCI-E ports so my assumption is that I'm either supposed to use the 6 VGA plugs with several splitters or possibly a combination of the 6 VGA plugs and the two PERIF plugs with molex adapters.  I just want some confirmation or validation on the best approach to using this power supply without the risk of overloading the PSU or wires.

For what it's worth I am in the US and I currently have my setup running to a dedicated 20 amp circuit that I ran with 12 gauge wire, but it's only running with 2 boards since that's all I could get running safely without starting to use splitters.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.  I really appreciate all the posts I've been reading on this forum to get me as far as I've gotten having only started this yesterday.

You could use a perif to power the controller, but with the 1300 i received i received a couple of dual connector cables, so you should not need to mess around that much.

Just with the 6 vga 1 to 1 cable you'd have enough to power the 3 blades.

If you want to use all 9 connectors then use those dual cables.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
blockwalls (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2015, 10:58:29 PM

Maybe I'm confused but it's my understanding that each of the three blades needs 3 plugs so 9 are needed for the blades then 1 is needed for the controller for a total of 10.  You are correct that the PSU came with two cables that split 1 to 2, but that only gets me to 8 total.  Do I use extra splitters on two of the other cables?  Also does it matter which ones numbered 1 through 6 that I split (e.g. only split alternating or even numbered slots)?
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 01:44:39 AM

Maybe I'm confused but it's my understanding that each of the three blades needs 3 plugs so 9 are needed for the blades then 1 is needed for the controller for a total of 10.  You are correct that the PSU came with two cables that split 1 to 2, but that only gets me to 8 total.  Do I use extra splitters on two of the other cables?  Also does it matter which ones numbered 1 through 6 that I split (e.g. only split alternating or even numbered slots)?

No they're all in the same rail. And no, Bitmain says you need all 3 per blade (for their warranty to apply) but its honestly a design overkill. Sound like a move to get people to buy their PSU.

Plug all 3 if you want, but 2 with good cables, sust as EVGA's, it is more than enough.

Get Y Splitter from here on the forum, they're like 2.5$ each. I'm not sure using them is any safer than just 2 cable, but the warranty rules are the warranty rules i guess?

And i would not use perif to power a blade. Only using 2 plugs would be much better than this.

You can do it for the controller however, though don't do it with SATA, do it with Molex, ideally 2 Molex to one PCI-e.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
blockwalls (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 01:09:09 PM

Thank you so much for your help!
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3844

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 01:53:11 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2015, 03:35:05 PM by Biodom

I just received my first miner the S7 (batch 6) and based on popular feedback got the the EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 power supply to go with it.  Now that I have everything I am curious which plugs I'm supposed to use on the PSU.  There are 6 red plugs labeled VGA, and various others labeled SATA, CPU, and PERIF.  I see various posts saying to use PCI-E splitters (PCIEXSPLIT6 6-Inch PCI Express Power Splitter Cable) and/or molex adapters (LP4 to 6 Pin PCI Express Video Card Power Cable Adapter), but wanted to make sure I'm using the appropriate combination to avoid issues.  It's too expensive of a machine to take a trial and error approach.

I know that the VGA ports are the PCI-E ports so my assumption is that I'm either supposed to use the 6 VGA plugs with several splitters or possibly a combination of the 6 VGA plugs and the two PERIF plugs with molex adapters.  I just want some confirmation or validation on the best approach to using this power supply without the risk of overloading the PSU or wires.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.  I really appreciate all the posts I've been reading on this forum to get me as far as I've gotten having only started this yesterday.

I already deployed several S7 with this combo: S7 plus EVGA 1300 G2 plus two 18 awg PCIE split cables. I am not sure that there is a need for 12 awg, unless you talk about the power cord, and even then. See the link (at the bottom of the page).
http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/WireCapacityChart.htm

I did not know who on this forum sells them (>=18 awg) for $2.5 shipped, so i bought mostly from Jacobs parts (Amazon) for $3.95 shipped.
There are four single headed PCIe (red) cables in EVGA, so I connected splitters to two of those, making a total of 10 necessary connections, then balance the load as i see fit. I described it somewhere around here. Essentially, I put either original double heads or singles at position 1 and 2 and put split connectors in position #3 in all three rows, then fourth connector (out of four split "heads") went to controller. This seems to work OK so far (knock on wood) with B1 deployed in this fashion for ~2mo.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 01:00:00 AM

I just received my first miner the S7 (batch 6) and based on popular feedback got the the EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 power supply to go with it.  Now that I have everything I am curious which plugs I'm supposed to use on the PSU.  There are 6 red plugs labeled VGA, and various others labeled SATA, CPU, and PERIF.  I see various posts saying to use PCI-E splitters (PCIEXSPLIT6 6-Inch PCI Express Power Splitter Cable) and/or molex adapters (LP4 to 6 Pin PCI Express Video Card Power Cable Adapter), but wanted to make sure I'm using the appropriate combination to avoid issues.  It's too expensive of a machine to take a trial and error approach.

I know that the VGA ports are the PCI-E ports so my assumption is that I'm either supposed to use the 6 VGA plugs with several splitters or possibly a combination of the 6 VGA plugs and the two PERIF plugs with molex adapters.  I just want some confirmation or validation on the best approach to using this power supply without the risk of overloading the PSU or wires.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.  I really appreciate all the posts I've been reading on this forum to get me as far as I've gotten having only started this yesterday.

I already deployed several S7 with this combo: S7 plus EVGA 1300 G2 plus two 18 awg PCIE split cables. I am not sure that there is a need for 12 awg, unless you talk about the power cord, and even then. See the link (at the bottom of the page).
http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/WireCapacityChart.htm

I did not know who on this forum sells them (>=18 awg) for $2.5 shipped, so i bought mostly from Jacobs parts (Amazon) for $3.95 shipped.
There are four single headed PCIe (red) cables in EVGA, so I connected splitters to two of those, making a total of 10 necessary connections, then balance the load as i see fit. I described it somewhere around here. Essentially, I put either original double heads or singles at position 1 and 2 and put split connectors in position #3 in all three rows, then fourth connector (out of four split "heads") went to controller. This seems to work OK so far (knock on wood) with B1 deployed in this fashion for ~2mo.

The big thing there is the quality of the splitters.  People need to make sure they don't just go out and buy from local store with horrible guage splitter.

I've had only 1 PSU melt and it was a "bargin" psu with a cheap splitter.  So be very careful if you don't know what your doing and are splitting cables.  If you don't know just getting the Bitmain PSU is easiest option.   

I also like the EVGA 1300 very high quality.  But on S7 if you have 220/240 the bitmain psu is kinda the simple way.
raspberryseltzer

Activity: 22

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 08:53:14 AM

hi there - I have more or less the same set up.  1300 G2, with Antminer S7.  I'm using 2 Startech PCIEXSPLIT6 as part of my setup, and attempting to power with a typical US wall outlet.  The power supply runs fine in test mode, but I get no signs of life when I connect it to the S7.  Any ideas how to make this work?  Thanks.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 08:05:55 AM

hi there - I have more or less the same set up.  1300 G2, with Antminer S7.  I'm using 2 Startech PCIEXSPLIT6 as part of my setup, and attempting to power with a typical US wall outlet.  The power supply runs fine in test mode, but I get no signs of life when I connect it to the S7.  Any ideas how to make this work?  Thanks.

Try without the splitter, 2 PCI-e per board and don't forget to power the controller with a PCI-e too. Just to see if it works. IF it works then plug all the 10 sockets.

Those splitters at the store i can see are extremely expensive (20$) and they're pretty icky considering they're 18AWG. You can get 16AWG on the forum for 3.5$ per splitter.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
raspberryseltzer

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 01:41:20 PM

hi - thanks for reply.  I tried what you have suggested, and still the S7 won't turn on.  I've also tried another config, using an extra EVGA 1300w.  I power 2 boards with the first power supply, and the 3rd board and the controller with the 2nd power supply.  No signs of life at all.  Any other ideas?  Is there anything that needs to be done to the S7 before powering on?  This is my first setup.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:43:18 PM

hi - thanks for reply.  I tried what you have suggested, and still the S7 won't turn on.  I've also tried another config, using an extra EVGA 1300w.  I power 2 boards with the first power supply, and the 3rd board and the controller with the 2nd power supply.  No signs of life at all.  Any other ideas?  Is there anything that needs to be done to the S7 before powering on?  This is my first setup.

Ahhh. Did you turn on the PSU's? The pin #4 (green wire) need to be jumped to a ground to tell the PSU to turn on, the same way the PSU turn on when you press the power button on a PC.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-power-up-an-ATX-Power-Supply-without-a-PC/

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
raspberryseltzer

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 12:45:57 PM

that did it - thanks for solving my problem!
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 10:15:10 PM

Ahhh. Did you turn on the PSU's? The pin #4 (green wire) need to be jumped to a ground to tell the PSU to turn on, the same way the PSU turn on when you press the power button on a PC.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-power-up-an-ATX-Power-Supply-without-a-PC/

The EVGA 1300 should come with a plastic piece that doe the same thing to turn on power. They actually not to long ago redesigned it where end is covered so even nicer.

If you did not get the adapter to turn PSU on I would contact EVGA and see if they will ship you one.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: