Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:02:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FOR SALE: Bitcoin ATM (a California 'C' corp 10,000,000 shares)  (Read 3323 times)
toddbethell (OP)

Activity: 49
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 08:55:44 PM
Last edit: December 03, 2012, 09:02:45 PM by toddbethell

BitcoinATM      (For sale in its entirety)

California 'C' corp
Authorized Capital:  10 million shares, with 8 million shares of Series A Common Stock (voting) and 2 million shares of Series B Common Stock (non-voting)

Price: BTC2000  BTC1500 (negotiable terms)

Also included:
1.   One beta machine: Genmega GK1000 Kiosk (in good condition) running windows xp pro with ActiveX drivers for the bill acceptor, printer, card reader etc.
2.   Domain: www.BitcoinATM.com
3.   The brand: logo, miscellaneous artwork and decals designed in Adobe Illustrator, 2 commercials and extra unused video footage done by Digivid Media… pictures taken at the Vegas Consumer Electronics Show in MtGox booth.
4.   Business Plan: (Rough draft)
5.   Code: Client/Server both running on the machine for development purposes. Administrator’s password (control) for the code which was placed on Github as open source.
Version 1 is an executable but I am not sure what tools were used to create it because the source code has been lost, so it will need to be decompiled.
Version 2 is php, a bit more functional and easier on the eyes but needs some patching.
6.   Contact information for:
  • Original programmers C++ and PHP.
  • India based programmers who assisted.
  • Alternate programming options who are well established in the ATM business but were not used due to lack of funds.
  • Everyone who expressed interest as investor, collaborator or customer.

•   Buyer bears all shipping and legal transfer cost.
•   Buyer may request seller to file papers to dissolve, surrender, or cancel this corporation. This may be preferable in some situations.
•   Buyer should be aware of the minimum annual tax in California for corporations with no revenue is $800.
•   Third party escrow may be used if mutually agreed upon.

Todd Bethell, CFM, MBA
toddbethell@fastscanning.com
toddbethell@BitcoinATM.com
tbethell08@merage.uci.edu
Work: (949) 340-5438
Cell:949-394-5932

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 09:03:41 PM

A year later and im still not sure if anyone will use this
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 09:15:18 PM

This is a cool idea. I would use it if I was in the market to buy some coins. People feel comfortable being able to buy something in person.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 04:14:05 AM
Last edit: November 23, 2012, 04:47:50 AM by Xenland

This is a cool idea. I would use it if I was in the market to buy some coins. People feel comfortable being able to buy something in person.
Its a good idear if done right, but lets say it was done right as far as security i guess i would only use this if i was travelling and dont have any BTC on my person i could withdrawl from a banking service but i dont have a bank account for the reason of thats why i use bitcoins for my own security and neglegance. So i would write my own script that would send me bitcoins to my persons or use the bank service to transfer bitcoins to my persons. So i guess the only selling points for this product is for those who dont have a bitcoin enabled device to transfer butcoins on their person which means that there is no selling points unless you transfer bitcoins to the atm and out comes fiat then you have one selling point but dosent sound like a high demand product even in a Bitcoin only world.

Im not trying to attack this product or company i would just like to probe for some practical uses before i can accuratly judge to the project to be serious for my purposes in thenear future.

I wish you luck!
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2012, 10:47:46 AM

It would probably go well in New Hampshire at porcfest. Eric should buy it  Smiley

AfricanHunter

Activity: 157
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 09:21:07 AM

Curious why you are trying to sell the business?

Thinking about doing business with johnniewalkerhttps://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=72227?
First read this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131841.0

Also, Join the National Rifle Association to protect 2nd Amendment Rights http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR020022
Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2012, 08:20:27 PM

I think that this would be the next logical step to localbitcoins. If you were a bitcoin seller and you very often have people contacting you to buy, then you could just set one of these up outside your home or wherever and people could self service. It would be great if the machine would rebalance automatically on the cheapest exchange. Then it's all fees.
toddbethell (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 07:13:25 AM

Hello Xenland,
You have asked thoughtful questions so I’ll do my best to answer them, my response is in blue.
Sorry it took so long to reply… it’s the holidays.

May I publish your questions and my response on the thread/

Todd
-------------------------------------------

Bitcoin ATM (as a company, software and hardware) had the potential to be many things. This was part of the problem when writing the business plan. So many ideas were proposed by everyone involved that I was called “a control freak” for trying to lock down the scope for the Alpha and Beta versions.
Alpha: Sale bitcoins for fiat.
Beta: Sale and buy bitcoins (dispense fiat)

What Bitcoin ATM starts out as and what it could become are very different.
It was never the plan to own hundreds or thousands of machines.

The first 10 machines were to be located in the flagship stores of PlayNTrade across the US. The first machine was just three weeks away from deployment at a San Diego PlayNTrade when an equity dispute with the Chairman of PlayNTrade brought progress to a halt and scared away investors.

The next 10 machines deployed around the world were to become regional sales centers that could be wholly owned, licensed or franchised. The latter options provide for faster growth and profitability because other people are bringing their own money (or investors), their connections and passion. This was the expertise that PlayNTrade and Franchise Beacon were supposed to bring to the table. I had no problem finding bitcoin enthusiasts who owned storefronts or had access to high traffic locations and were willing to act as beta testers for free. Most of whom I met at the Bitcoin World Conference in New York last year.
One idea to mitigate deployment cost was to have the machine double as an information kiosk at no cost to any business that had decent foot traffic. It also crossed my mind that every machine could also do mining with Butterfly Labs new ASIC’s

Short term goals:
#1  Be first with a machine (kiosk) that accepts cash (fiat) and sells bitcoins. This has no regulatory requirements (similar to the businesses that only buy gold). Then leverage this to attract media and investor attention.
#2  Take advantage of the demand for relatively small purchases of bitcoins to charge a higher than average transaction fee.
#3  Within 6 months begin two way transactions which require more record keeping.
#4  Within one year purchase or preferably trade licensing with at leas one interbank network allowing our machines to provide full ATM services.

Few people know this, but the “ATM” in Bitcoin ATM actually means Automated Transaction Mechanism. Therefore it is not over reaching to market our services to other verticals such as vending machines, gaming industry (slot machines), stored value cards… etc..

Our target market was not really the individual bitcoiners, rather companies like ACFM and/or their franchisees, MoneyPass, STAR, Interlink, PLUS… etc. This is what gets the attention of VC’s and private equity and is a likely exit for founders. What kind of MBA would I be if there wasn’t also a long term exit plan for an IPO on Hong Kong or London’s AIM.
The ultimate goal was to become the first “Interbank Network” specializing in speedy clearing, or exchange of bitcoin related transactions between automated systems. As well as providing insurance or bonds for those transactions.

Its a good idear if done right, but lets say it was done right as far as security

(Security takes many forms, most of which are not technological. The part that took much more time was finding an insurance company that specialized in evaluating and covering the risks associated with this type of business. The first programmer for Bitcoin ATM who’s name is Jim Whyn (aka The Bitcoin Blogger) said “Security is the most important thing”. I said “No, being first is the most important thing”.
This coming from a guy who lost 1000btc in the “MyBitcoin.com” theft.
Don’t get me wrong, security is important, but it does not make money, it is a cost of doing business. Security is one component of risk mitigation both of which must be quantifiable. 
“If you can’t measure it, you can’t control it”  Edwards Deming
What was very measurable was the bleed rate of cash and the patience of investors because all this was happening not long after MtGox got hacked and bitcoin was crashing to $2.

i guess i would only use this if i was travelling and dont have any BTC on my person i could withdrawl from a banking service but i dont have a bank account for the reason of thats why i use bitcoins for my own security and neglegance.

The demand for automated bitcoin exchangeability should have or follow the same incentives for cash.

So i would write my own script that would send me bitcoins to my persons

you’re the exception, an early adaptor, a techi…

or use the bank service to transfer bitcoins to my persons.

What bank service handles bitcoins?

So i guess the only selling points for this product is for those who dont have a bitcoin enabled device to transfer butcoins on their person

In the last two years I have probably lost more than 50btc by testing mobile clients, damaging or loosing devices so bitcoin is not dummy proof. Bitcoin can and should disintermediate many financial “services” that are a drag on productivity. But just as with any innovation, the adaption curve leaves many opportunities for the nimble. Let me give you a simple example: If you have bitcoins but need to charge your smart card for laundry, who is going to handle that transaction? Even when Near Field Communications is ubiquitous, there will still be a demand for backend applications and frontend hardware services that expedite the transaction and lower the risk.

which means that there is no selling points unless you transfer bitcoins to the atm

the ATM’s do not have a ‘hot’ wallet

and out comes fiat then you have one selling point but dosent sound like a high demand product even in a Bitcoin only world.

Im not trying to attack this product or company i would just like to probe for some practical uses before i can accuratly judge to the project to be serious for my purposes in thenear future.
Did you need any assistance with the Bitcoin ATM project? Perhaps we could work together in making a Bitcoin atm machine not only practical but secure. from a security stand point i see alot of red flags go off,

My finances and my company FAST Scanning are wiped out. That’s why I need to sell. But I would absolutely like to keep working with or for the buyer. Terms are flexible.

* first one is your machine is running windows xp, regardless of what kind of locks you think you are secure with there are over 60,000 unclosed windows xp security exploits and Microsoft has for the past few years now stop supporting windows xp updates so those security exploits will be there for ever.

Yes, I know, it was done to expedite the development of the beta models. With Php the machine is a client via a browser. My goal is to see it slimmed down to just an ultra thin client, a dumb terminal. You might be surprised at the number of clever and independent security features the industry has come up with. A transaction cannot begin or finish unless a real person is standing on the sensor pad. The camera on the machine is live, externally monitored and recorded. There is even a version of LoJack for ATM machines.

* second is activeX, now as far as i know activeX it self dosen't have any security risks just using it; how ever the word activeX makes any developer cringe with the thought of active Exploits in there system... so anyone in the right mind wanting to invest in this product will see that keyword and say "hackable" thats not the first impression you want to give to your investors(especially if such investors know pro developers that can take a look a project for them and tell them if it looks good to invest in or not so even if developers are not your investor target, you have to appeal to them because those are the people that will be the judge of your product "for" the investors)

I believe that most hardware (bill acceptors, printers, coin dispensers, card readers…) used by the ATM industry, gaming, vending etc. are now USB. I’m not sure but I believe what language they use internally or to communicate over USB varies and also depends on the operating system.

* third there is a line i saw that said this "Administrator’s password (control) for the code which was placed on Github as open source." I don't know what that means exactly I'm guessing your intent was to convey that its an open-source project but all i can extract out of from what i know is that you gave the admin password to the world... that sounds absolutely absurd if your trying to sell a secure ATM box but its all i know so thats all i can go by.

That would be absurd. Fortunately ‘Control’ is not the password.    It should say the new owner gets control over the GitHub repository and can decide for themselves if they want the code to remain open source.

* fourth there was another thing you mentioned this "Version 1 is an executable but I am not sure what tools were used to create it because the source code has been lost, so it will need to be decompiled." I dont understand why you would even disclose this information, if you lost the source code I'm sorry start over, I will not trust source code that was "de-compiled" the output of a decompiler is known to output flaws that don't accurately reflect exactly the original source code so you look like an you have absolutely no idea what your doing as far as security goes from just that line alone!.

The source code is not really lost. I believe Jim Whyn will work with the new owners if they incentivize him. But the Php client/server is a better approach.

*fifth problem is that i couldn't find anything that described what the ATM actually does? For example I have no idea about the following questions based on your post(referring to: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=127328.0)

Can I deposit my Bitcoins with your ATM machine?
For now, I had no interest in being a Bitcoin Bank mostly because of all the exchange thefts but also because of the regulatory compliance.
If so what services will I able to choose from to tell the machine to send my bitcoins too?
If you had an account on MtGox or TradeHill (now gone) or MyBitcoin (now gone) then your transaction at the machine would be instant. The machine could scan a QR code address but then both parties would have to wait for the transaction to clear. And unfortunately confirmation of bitcoin transactions is getting slower and slower even with a staggering 26 Thash/sec. There is opportunity here also.
If your answer to what services I will be able to choose is "The owner of the machine can hire someone or do it them selves to add any service they want to deposit to"
Then im going to assume based off your post you don't provide any API communication instead you provide the solution of "it's open source add it your self". Which is a huge security risk if any owner can open up a Bitcoin ATM machine whos to say that owner is trust worthy enough to know that it won't take my Bitcoins and how would you verify that? But lets say the owner is trust worthy wut if he hired a horrible developer and there is a bug and peoples Bitcoins get lost or stolen? You need to have some kind of constancy or your product just wont work.

I agree, the scenario you describe would be a terrible business plan. Wouldn’t it be better to do exactly the opposite? What we are selling here is access to a trusted brand, trusted people and their tool set (the back end).

I'm here to help you can contact me on Skype at CheaperInBitcoins or email midnightspecter@gmail.com

Cheers!
Xenland
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 07:20:12 AM

the cryptocurrency consulting group of room77 would probably be interested.
not to "buy", but to continue the project and set up one of those in their kryptokiez.

maybe message yossarian and/or joecoin, i know they've been wanting to do something like this.
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 09:40:25 PM

It should say the new owner gets control over the GitHub repository and can decide for themselves if they want the code to remain open source.

For future reference, I just forked the two repositories of BitcoinATM: BitcoinATM-php and BitcoinATM-exe, and will keep them public.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
toddbethell (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 09:10:31 PM

Bitcoin ATM price reduced from  BTC2000  BTC1500 (negotiable terms)

I've had a few people kicking the tires but I would like to close this deal before Jan 1st.
Next week it will go up on Ebay.
Then, I will consider splitting out the machine, the domain and the brand.

Todd

949-394-5932
CharlesPonzi

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 09:20:12 PM

What is your exposure to the scammer Jonathan Ryan Owens ? 

I landed in this country with $2.50 in cash and $1 million in hopes, and those hopes never left me.
toddbethell (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 09:31:30 PM

What is your exposure to the scammer Jonathan Ryan Owens ? 

Zero exposure, considering that his behavior has been well documented and video recorded.
Bitcoin ATM has no financial or legal obligations to anyone or claims against it. The equity dispute with the chairman of PlayNTrade was formally settled with documentation. Further disclosure can be done in negociations.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: