Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:08:04 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC/USD or Bitcoin in wallet ? Which is safer for long term investment  (Read 853 times)
Stock Exchange (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 12:35:31 PM

BTC/USD or BITCOIN IN WALLET ?

1) My position is this: I dont think I am going to use bitcoin online or in store to buy PS5, milk and cupcakes from my local supermarket because I like my good old hard cash, for this reason I will be buying bitcoin from my brokerage account BTC/USD and keep it there for years to come without any fear that my HDD or SSD goes bust, pc gets stolen or I get a virus that will force me to reinstall windows in turn taking all the coins to Valhalla.
If you're are not mining and wont spend bitcoin for weekly purchasing then there is no need to keep bitcoin or I am wrong ?

2) I am looking to find exact date when BTC/USD was first listed on over the counter exchange and everybody was able to buy or sell BTC/USD with help of their brokerage account. The internet is just overloaded with information about bitcoin in general for this reason I cant seem to be able to find anything about listing. Can someone tell me the exact date or at least month and year when BTC/USD was first listed on stock exchanges and was globally traded by forex traders, stock traders, casual traders etc.. I guess it was first listed at some point in 2013 ?

3) Furthermore, do you think its better and safer to just buy BTC/USD stock using your broker rather than buying actual bitcoin ? The bitcoin you buy must be kept safe o a computer or in paper wallet but bitcoin bought from stock exchange using ANY brokerage is safer because you wont loose the bitcoin its like owning stock.   
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 02:03:39 PM

It's definitely safer to buy Bitcoin and properly store it in a cold storage.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4668

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 02:27:05 PM

BTC/USD or BITCOIN IN WALLET ?

1) My position is this: I dont think I am going to use bitcoin online or in store to buy PS5, milk and cupcakes from my local supermarket because I like my good old hard cash, for this reason I will be buying bitcoin from my brokerage account BTC/USD and keep it there for years to come without any fear that my HDD or SSD goes bust, pc gets stolen or I get a virus that will force me to reinstall windows in turn taking all the coins to Valhalla.
If you're are not mining and wont spend bitcoin for weekly purchasing then there is no need to keep bitcoin or I am wrong ?

2) I am looking to find exact date when BTC/USD was first listed on over the counter exchange and everybody was able to buy or sell BTC/USD with help of their brokerage account. The internet is just overloaded with information about bitcoin in general for this reason I cant seem to be able to find anything about listing. Can someone tell me the exact date or at least month and year when BTC/USD was first listed on stock exchanges and was globally traded by forex traders, stock traders, casual traders etc.. I guess it was first listed at some point in 2013 ?

3) Furthermore, do you think its better and safer to just buy BTC/USD stock using your broker rather than buying actual bitcoin ? The bitcoin you buy must be kept safe o a computer or in paper wallet but bitcoin bought from stock exchange using ANY brokerage is safer because you wont loose the bitcoin its like owning stock.   

1) Your method requires that you trust the company that is supplying you with the account.  If they are hacked, or if they themselves are thieves, then all the bitcoin that they are holding for you could disappear.  This is what happened with MtGOX. Why do you trust them to do a better job of securing the bitcoins than yourself?

2) In the U.S. there aren't any "stock exchanges" that list bitcoins for trade yet.  There also aren't any bitcoin ETFs available for investment yet.  I'm not sure about other countries (I think there is an ETF available in some countries, but not sure if it is open to the public or if it is restricted as to who can participate). This is why you are finding it difficult to find a date.  Bitcoin started just being exchanged for free. It had no value.  People would just send bitcoins to each other for the novelty and entertainment of being able to create transactions and see that they confirmed.  Then two people decided to pretend to use it to buy something.  One sent bitcoins to the other and the one receiving the bitcoins arranged for the bitcoin sender to receive something of value.  It is generally accepted that this transaction occurred on 22nd May 2010 and involved 10,000 bitcoins and 2 pizzas.  This effectively set a "value" on bitcoins.  Then more people did similar transactions.  Eventually in chat rooms and websites, people were making and accepting offers to exchange bitcoins for stuff of value (including local currency).  Then innovative people created websites that were specifically for the purpose of bringing together people that has bitcoins and wanted local currency and people that has local currency and wanted bitcoins.  If the website implemented an order book, it was called "an exchange".  MtGOX was probably the first "exchange" that reached recognizable success. I believe it was launched on 18 July 2010.

3) Owning bitcoin is not like owning stock.  Stock ownership is a regulated industry that is closely monitored by the government.  It would be very difficult for someone to claim to own your stock and convince the world that the stock belonged to them and not to you.  Bitcoin ownership is controlled only through exclusive access to a set of private keys.  If anyone else gains access to those private keys, they have full control of the associated bitcoins and can do whatever they like with them.  Therefore, unless the broker can prove that they have some sort of insurance policy that covers the loss of bitcoins, there won't be anything they can do to help you if the bitcoins are stolen from them.

vilain

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 02:29:14 PM

I agree. Strongly recommend Ledger Wallet.

https://www.ledgerwallet.com/products

"Ledger Nano
Secure and smart Bitcoin hardware wallet

Ledger Nano is a Bitcoin wallet on a smartcard device, small format and low weight. Comfortable and simple to use, you connect it directly to a USB port to manage your account, protect your bitcoins and make safe payments."
blackmachinegun

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 02:39:36 PM

sure, on the other hand, USD is more historical and of course, USD certainly accepted in all time
amacar2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1008

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 03:00:26 PM

If you don't want to accidently burn out your paper wallet paper try some of the hardware wallet like ledger and trezor. It is not always safe to store high amount of coin in online wallet.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4528

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 04:40:46 PM

bitcoin is your "under the matress" funds, save for the future.

but feel free to get rid of the dodgy fiat papers as they are more worthless the longer you hold them. feel free to get rid of them by buying milk to consume and piss out 6 hours later, as that is more valuable than holding onto fiat bank notes.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
a7mos

Activity: 574

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 04:53:48 PM

It is safer to be able to control your coins so I think holding bitcoin in a wallet is better and safer than buying it on forex brokerage that may closed or turned to be scam.
And about how secure is the wallet, you should use paper wallet and store it in a secure place, have several copies , write it down . so if you lost a paper use the other copy
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 04:55:10 PM

If you're thinking in holding your Bitcoin you shouldn't keep them in an exchange. Things can go bad and the exchange can go GOX, so it's better for you to hold your coins on a hard wallet. My advice is Trezor.
Nahl
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 05:33:11 PM

for me those of both is safer for long term investment but for bitcoin i suggest you do not save your bitcoin into exchange or wallet online because for long term i think that's not secure but store your bitcoin in a cold storage it's more secure i guess
khalized

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 05:35:36 PM

how can fiat be safe long term?
okae
Legendary

Activity: 1401

northern exposure

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2015, 06:08:10 PM

Monopoly money will never be safe Wink

About "BTC/USD or Bitcoin in wallet ?" for me this is an easy decision, Bitcoin in wallet for sure, i have no doubt, you just need to take care about your own security, thats all, about the rest ( at least for me ) bitcoin is much more better than fiat money in all aspects.

IMHO #1.b of suspects, Hal Finney is/was S.N.
funkydog

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 06:10:02 PM

Monopoly money will never be safe Wink

About "BTC/USD or Bitcoin in wallet ?" for me this is an easy decision, Bitcoin in wallet for sure, i have no doubt, you just need to take care about your own security, thats all, about the rest ( at least for me ) bitcoin is much more better than fiat money in all aspects.

This........ agree 200%
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 06:24:54 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2015, 12:48:39 PM by Amph

because it is controlled, by the government, and unless your whole government will collapse it will have always a reason to be useful

and i'm not sure if hoping for your own government to collapse, will make bitcoin useful in your country, it's no like the citiezens are waiting for that to embrace bitcoin
MissionPhailed

Activity: 583
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 07:14:35 PM

Bitcoin is a promising and fascinating technology, but its success depends on whether the general public will or will not accept Bitcoin. The average person in the street tends to stick to 'old habits' and new technologies are often looked at with suspicion and fear, myself not excluded I gotta admit.

Anyway, I'd say 90% in fiat and 10% in crypto.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 03, 2015, 11:56:36 PM

because it is controlled, by the governmetn, and unless your whole government will collapse it will have always a reason to be useful

and i'm not sure if hoping for your own government to collapse, will make bitcoin useful in your country, it's no like the citiezens are waiting for that to embrace bitcoin

FIAT is "safe" but also a terrible store of value. Your debt shrink and so does your holding, because of inflation and its rather common for FIAT to crash regularly. So clearly not a safe store of value.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Hellacopter

Activity: 742

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 12:14:12 AM

I think holding Bitcoin in wallet for long period can really being the safest long term investment, because we expect that prices will increase soon, especially after the next halving, so then everyone can sell his coins for the good and profitable price
nejibens

Activity: 672

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 12:51:06 AM

You can exchange the fiat to Bitcoin and make profit because the price isn't stable yet, so i think holding the coins is safer for long term investment
okae
Legendary

Activity: 1401

northern exposure

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2015, 12:15:35 PM

because it is controlled, by the governmetn, and unless your whole government will collapse it will have always a reason to be useful

Well i think you are talking about stability, maybe you are in truth, but dont forget this is a FALSE stability, i mean that as you said, everything is controlled by them on a ponzi scheme, the fiat money...

And dont forget that his ponzi scheme already collapse in the past, and ofc, it will happen again, the question here is, what will happen this time?

IMHO #1.b of suspects, Hal Finney is/was S.N.
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 12:40:35 PM

Bitcoin is a good choice for a long term investment, because the price will definitely goes up in the future. And it's also more profitable, rather than storing your $ for about 5 years from now.

faucet used to be profitable
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: