Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:54:01 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: In the next 3 months
Price will rise slowly above 15 - 94 (55.3%)
Price will rise fast above 15 and then take off!! - 40 (23.5%)
Price will not get past 13 and stablize at 11-12 - 17 (10%)
Price will fall slowly - 10 (5.9%)
Price will fall fast - 9 (5.3%)
Total Voters: 170

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [poll] Price  (Read 3803 times)
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2012, 07:32:27 PM

Cheesy

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 08:03:46 PM

As many of us predicted  months ago, we seem to be in the lead-up to the halving where ask depth is drying up -- people are thinking "why not wait and see what happens?"   

So what will happen? 

Frankly, a lot of the volume on Gox seems to be due to short-term speculative action.  This is just the "fog of war"... but it cannot hide the fact that a much lower volume of long-term activity must be sequestering the 9600 BTC produced each day which is keeping the price stable above 10.  This long term activity is expected given the positive press and growing legitimacy of the currency.  So I believe that the blockchain halving is going to place a small but significant upwards pressure on the price, since there is clearly demand for 9600 a day but only half that many coins produced.

But its very possible that the lack of a pre-halving "breakout" will cause short-term speculators to dump some coins near the halving mark.  However, many of these speculators are going to be the sort that keeps fiat on gox for reinvestment.  So a dump near the halving is just $ that will be poured back into the next breakout. 

TL;DR; the bull breakout after the halving will be a big one... Tongue

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2012, 08:11:29 PM

As many of us predicted  months ago, we seem to be in the lead-up to the halving where ask depth is drying up -- people are thinking "why not wait and see what happens?"   

So what will happen? 

Frankly, a lot of the volume on Gox seems to be due to short-term speculative action.  This is just the "fog of war"... but it cannot hide the fact that a much lower volume of long-term activity must be sequestering the 9600 BTC produced each day which is keeping the price stable above 10.  This long term activity is expected given the positive press and growing legitimacy of the currency.  So I believe that the blockchain halving is going to place a small but significant upwards pressure on the price, since there is clearly demand for 9600 a day but only half that many coins produced.

But its very possible that the lack of a pre-halving "breakout" will cause short-term speculators to dump some coins near the halving mark.  However, many of these speculators are going to be the sort that keeps fiat on gox for reinvestment.  So a dump near the halving is just $ that will be poured back into the next breakout. 

TL;DR; the bull breakout after the halving will be a big one... Tongue

+1

Up!  Grin

kentrolla

Activity: 1596
Merit: 566

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2012, 08:39:23 PM

i think halving day will be stable

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 08:40:13 PM

$20 before new year  Cheesy
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 09:03:36 PM

I think only 7200 are minted a day. 144*50.

If it is true that Silk Road does 2 million a month (a theory with many holes) that is 66kusd a day. After block halving only 3600 which at current price levels is about 40kusd a day. Obviously dealers will sell to make USD but it seems like net buying > net selling for the near short term since they are working on nice margins they probably will sell just enough to buy more product. And this is just the SR.

Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 09:45:30 PM

But will December be stable?
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 09:45:55 PM

Yeah you're right about the numbers (6 per hour * 24 hours * 50btc)... I'm recovering from surgery and so typing and thinking :-) is hard.  Its interesting that SR might occupy that much currency per day.  But the currency can be reused so something else is going on to actually consume it.  That something else is likely primarily long term investment (hoarding), but it really does not matter what it is; whatever it is, it has been a steady demand for 6 months or more and there is no socio-economic reason why that will change any time soon (other then grow) since the global economic situation remains on its current trajectory.

I think only 7200 are minted a day. 144*50.

If it is true that Silk Road does 2 million a month (a theory with many holes) that is 66kusd a day. After block halving only 3600 which at current price levels is about 40kusd a day. Obviously dealers will sell to make USD but it seems like net buying > net selling for the near short term since they are working on nice margins they probably will sell just enough to buy more product. And this is just the SR.
kentrolla

Activity: 1596
Merit: 566

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2012, 09:49:10 PM

But will December be stable?
no. I think halving day will be stable when you compare it to the 30 days before/after it.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 10:21:18 PM

We are going to the moon guys. The poll results are amazing.
beckspace

Activity: 931
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 10:47:46 PM

Unless is one of those possible futures where...

Poll's results have always been a contrarian indicator.
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 10:50:37 PM

there is major difference between sentiment and action few ppl seams to get that

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
Yuhfhrh

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 03:32:48 AM

there is major difference between sentiment and action few ppl seams to get that

The better question to ask would be at what price will you sell your bitcoins lol
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 03:39:57 AM

The better question to ask would be at what price will you sell your bitcoins lol

Any level iff I'm confident enough I'll be able to buy back in at a lower price sooner rather than later.

Otherwise, we're talking minimum triple figures per BTC in bankster-paper terms, I'd say. Grin

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 06:12:34 AM

is almost the same point

one can be extremely bullish (to the moon) but the only thing one can do is sell so your sentiment is bullish but the action is bearish, the sell is based on fear and buy is based on greed and since fear of lose is a emotion 5 times stronger that greed bulls will take their profits and the sell will pushes the price slowly down, now if there is any risk event then the panic happen since ppl dont have a plan to enter exit a trade you get selloffs  and the notion of risk reward ratio is not existent for most ppl and this will fuel the selloff

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 12:39:53 PM

Daily coin generation has almost nothing to do with price, since most of the miners just hoard the coins. It is the rising popularity give the support for price

And if those people who usually mine the coin were not able to get enough coin after reward halving, they will buy coin instead of mine, this will also push the price up

Thralen

Activity: 123

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 04:01:33 PM

And if those people who usually mine the coin were not able to get enough coin after reward halving, they will buy coin instead of mine, this will also push the price up

What he said there.

To elaborate: If demand for BTC available for purchase remains the same but the supply available for sale drops by half (potentially more if any miners drop out due to the halving) then what happens to the price? Yes some people will stop purchasing as the price rises, at least for a little while, but others will not.

In my opinion the supply will drop enough that those selling will be able to ask for a greater price (and receive it). There are other factors but this goes back to the basic idea of supply and demand. If supply drops and demand remains, then the price will rise.

Thralen

Supporting bitcoin as best I can with 1. mining, 2. buying with bitcoin, 3. selling (or trying to) for bitcoin. If you make a donation to:  1MahzUUEYJrZ4VbPRm2h5itGZKEguGVZK1  I'll get it into circulation.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 07:18:34 PM

What interesting times these are.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 08:20:50 PM

I've never understood why people would phrase any question like that, unless it's that they see Bitcoin as a get-rich-quick scheme and have no long term confidence.

Otherwise, you NEVER sell your BTC "at a certain future price." You hold onto them until you need to spend them. Why would there be a certain price you sold everything out at and moved to an inferior holding?

There's no "price" that would make me sell. Only a superior (proven) system to invest in.
Yuhfhrh

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 01:57:04 AM

I've never understood why people would phrase any question like that, unless it's that they see Bitcoin as a get-rich-quick scheme and have no long term confidence.

Otherwise, you NEVER sell your BTC "at a certain future price." You hold onto them until you need to spend them. Why would there be a certain price you sold everything out at and moved to an inferior holding?

There's no "price" that would make me sell. Only a superior (proven) system to invest in.

If at any point I feel bitcoins are overpriced, I would sell them. And then buy them back later. ... Like if we hit $100 today, I would sell them knowing I could probably buy them back at around $50 within a few days...
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: