Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:12:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Interplanetary Currency  (Read 9105 times)
bitstarter (OP)

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

BitcoinStarter.com Support Account

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2012, 07:51:18 PM

It occurred to me after reading this article: http://www.space.com/18596-mars-colony-spacex-elon-musk.html   where Bitcoin is going to shine in the next 25-100 + years is exchange of currency between planets.  I can see on Mars where someone wants to make a transfer they could between Earth and Mars.  I just thought it was a cool to think about.

Bitcoin Crowd Funding! Bitcoinstarter.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
niooron

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 07:58:23 PM

Bitcoin won't work between planets, the latency is too big.
It takes about 15 minutes for a roundtrip to Mars.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 08:32:51 PM

It takes about 15 minutes for a roundtrip to Mars.

So what?

The very point of bitcoin is to be able to overcome synchronization delays due to network latency.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 08:33:55 PM

mega internet lag to update the blockchain. plus why would they need money on mars.

they would just use ration cards and stamped the day they eat a meal..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 08:46:47 PM

interplanetary currency, that's way cool!
bitstarter (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2012, 08:48:47 PM

mega internet lag to update the blockchain. plus why would they need money on mars.

they would just use ration cards and stamped the day they eat a meal..

What if you want to do a transfer of wealth to earth?

bitstarter (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2012, 08:49:07 PM

I just thought it was mind-blowing to think about!

Herodes

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 08:56:43 PM

We send radio signals to Mars, it means bitcoins could be used between planets as well. Smiley

The good people at ISS are tweeting:

check this

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2010/jan/HQ_M10-012_ISS_Web.html
Realpra

Activity: 815

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 08:57:30 PM

Yes I think planets and large intergalatic societies will trade very directly information streams and innovations sent directly. Just 10 years delays in messaging would make negotiating complex contracts impossible.
"You sent me the latest in laser weapons tech and will continue to send you the latest in fusion reactors" etc..

Bitcoin on Mars? Mars is worse than living on Antarctica so I doubt there will be much economy there for a long time. Maybe one day they would have their own chain though.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
bitstarter (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2012, 08:59:07 PM

We send radio signals to Mars, it means bitcoins could be used between planets as well. Smiley

check this

My goodness this is good news. Good piece of information there Smiley

grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 09:02:19 PM

They could need Earth money in order to buy stuff from Earth.

grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 09:07:40 PM

Come on.  ISS is in Low Earth Orbit.  So about 400km above sea level.   Using internet through such a distance is no big deal.  And internet signals pass through space all the time anyway, since they are often relayed by communication satellites.

cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 09:11:07 PM

As someone cooler than me said, "the speed of light sucks".

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2012, 09:19:47 PM

You can use bitcoin over there if you don't mind somewhat slower propagation to and from Earth, but you can't mine.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 09:23:56 PM

You can use bitcoin over there if you don't mind somewhat slower propagation to and from Earth.

Of course you won't mind.

I mean, it would be used for commercial exchanges between mars and earth and goods would take months or years to ship anyway.  So it won't matter if payments take a few hours or even days.

Herodes

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 09:25:59 PM

It's said that bitcoin people think outside the box, now, imagine in the future, do you think that there will be possible to move anything (including radio signals) faster than the speed of light?

Alcubierre’s idea: bending space-time in front of and behind a vessel rather than attempting to propel the vessel itself at light-speeds.

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2012/09/19/nasa-actually-working-on-faster-than-light-warp-drive/#ixzz2D5DLGgFT

So, the universe is wast, perhaps there's already other civilizations that have created interplanetary communication technologies, perhaps we one day will get in touch with them, and start using their technology ?

Also, one day, our sun will stop shining, and by that time, if mankind is not extinkt, we would need to find somewhere else to live, and it would be logical to think that we would need to inhabitate more than one planet on our quest to inhabitate the universe. :p

Also, it's not unthinkable that in say a couple of hundred years from now, maybe before that we have bases with people living on mars, the moon and so on. In the future, there will probably be astronauts that will be willing to dedicate their entire life for space exploration, it is also possible to imagine that a giant self sustainable space station would travel through space, while hosting a complete and sustainable eco-system for hundreds or thousands of years until it finds an inhabitable planet.

Use your imagination people!
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2012, 09:30:01 PM

Sending and receiving transactions might work, as far as you're patient enough. However Curiosity's CPU will get lots of orphans / high stale ratio (near 100%), so it won't be profitable at all ;-).

grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 09:51:23 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2012, 10:02:22 PM by grondilu

It's said that bitcoin people think outside the box, now, imagine in the future, do you think that there will be possible to move anything (including radio signals) faster than the speed of light?

Alcubierre’s idea: bending space-time in front of and behind a vessel rather than attempting to propel the vessel itself at light-speeds.

You need to put dark energy in front of your spaceship and nobody knows how to make some.  We don't even know what is this stuff.

So, the universe is wast, perhaps there's already other civilizations that have created interplanetary communication technologies, perhaps we one day will get in touch with them, and start using their technology ?

Well, we try to find them with SETI, but no results so far.   There are also reasons to believe that it will be impossible to contact a civilization if it's more than about an hundred light-years away (the radio signal would be much too weak).   We would be very lucky if more than one technologically advanced civilization had developed in such a small neighborhood, and in the same time frame.

Also, one day, our sun will stop shining, and by that time, if mankind is not extinkt, we would need to find somewhere else to live, and it would be logical to think that we would need to inhabitate more than one planet on our quest to inhabitate the universe. :p

Earth will stay inhabitable for about five hundred million years.  That's a lot.  IMHO, humanity as we know it will almost certainly NOT exist in ten thousand years.  Or if it still exists, it won't matter much because it won't be the most intelligent life form anymore.   Humans will be over-powered by machines, who might just keep them as pets or something.  And for a machine, the concept of being "inhabitable" is much different than for a human.

Also, it's not unthinkable that in say a couple of hundred years from now, maybe before that we have bases with people living on mars, the moon and so on.
Human will not live on mars or the moon, for the same reasons nobody lives in Antarctica, Sahara or on deep ocean floors.  We're just not built for that.  Why would you like to spend tons of money to settle down in such an hostile environment, anyway?

In the future, there will probably be astronauts that will be willing to dedicate their entire life for space exploration, it is also possible to imagine that a giant self sustainable space station would travel through space, while hosting a complete and sustainable eco-system for hundreds or thousands of years until it finds an inhabitable planet.

We don't need to send humans for exploration.  Robotic probes will do it as they currently do.  If we send humans, it will mainly be symbolic, for fun essentially.   Spatial hiking will be some kind of a very expensive leisure activity.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 09:57:24 PM

check this

Actually, this would be a really good publicity stunt for bitcoin ... see if you can get one of the astronauts up on the Space Station to receive some bitcoins!

(I bet the Russian guys would)

Bitcoins, first human currency in space.

grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 10:09:22 PM

I don't think humans will ever establish a long term settlement on mars, but I love the idea that some people try.

Here is a recent talk of Elon Musk about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB3R5Xk2gTY

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: