Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:53:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Interplanetary Currency  (Read 9105 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 07:25:42 AM

I was thinking about quantum entangled communication where it was first mentioned, but didn't really say anything.
The issue with that method is that you need to physically deliver the second "copy" of the entangled material to the communication destination, and you will use it up whenever you use it to communicate.
Basically, two entangled particles stay entangled until you read the information off them. Soon as you do, the entanglement breaks, and they're useless. So, communication of this type would be instantaneous, but would require a constant replenishment of communication "fuel" to be ferried from one planet to another. Not a cheap proposition.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 12:22:25 PM

possible inhabitable planet 12 light years away ?

http://science.slashdot.org/story/12/12/19/0254212/possible-habitable-planet-just-12-light-years-away
CliffordM

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 02:20:05 PM

of course if there was more hashing power on Mars, then the Earth-visible blockchain would become quite interesting.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 04:03:28 PM

Just had a weird realization - right now it costs a not small fortune in fuel costs to go out to space, and is cheaper to stay down here. Once we're more or less space-bound, it will be cheaper to stay in orbit, and cost ridiculous amounts just to come down to visit a planet and come back up.
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 04:05:08 PM

Just had a weird realization - right now it costs a not small fortune in fuel costs to go out to space, and is cheaper to stay down here. Once we're more or less space-bound, it will be cheaper to stay in orbit, and cost ridiculous amounts just to come down to visit a planet and come back up.

At some point in the future, it will probably be necessary to leave earth as the sun has a limited amount of years it will exist before it burns out. This is still very far into the future though.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 08:25:11 PM

At some point in the future, it will probably be necessary to leave earth as the sun has a limited amount of years it will exist before it burns out. This is still very far into the future though.

Yep, like 5 billion years worth of fuel.

So "at some point" is pretty far-fetched. I seriously doubt even our civilization and our bodies will exist in its current or similiar form.

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 08:45:44 PM

Yeah, I was thinking about much nearer term. Like, "I've been living and working on this mining station on this asteroid for a few years now, and it's pretty cheap do fly-by's around Earth's orbit while I drop off the raw materials, but I better not screw up and get caught in the gravity well, otherwise I'll get stranded down there, and it will cost a fortune for me to get back home."
Or even just that visiting neighboring asteroids is cheap, but visiting family at home on earth is not.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 10:37:24 PM

Yeah, I was thinking about much nearer term. Like, "I've been living and working on this mining station on this asteroid for a few years now, and it's pretty cheap do fly-by's around Earth's orbit while I drop off the raw materials, but I better not screw up and get caught in the gravity well, otherwise I'll get stranded down there, and it will cost a fortune for me to get back home."
Or even just that visiting neighboring asteroids is cheap, but visiting family at home on earth is not.

Cost of energy for propulsion, i.e. energy conversion mechanism efficiency, is the underlying factor here. As far as space propulsion goes we haven't got past 1G tech. yet ... and space-bound rockets as a working concept have been around for almost 8 decades.

Controlled fusion and/or gaseous fission tech are on the roadmap and who knows what else innovation may throw up, but it is a pretty safe bet to follow the propulsion energy vs. cost curve into the future and assume it will get cheaper.

Flying across the Atlantic was impossible 100 years ago, now those flights can be got for as cheap as 5 barrels of oil.

Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 10:44:49 PM

So "at some point" is pretty far-fetched. I seriously doubt even our civilization and our bodies will exist in its current or similiar form.

We are in trouble before the sun burns out. In 700 million years , as it ages, the sun has bloated enough to make life impossible: scorching hot desserts and evaporating oceans. Mars should be nice if it is terrraformed in time.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 10:56:46 PM

Hum...  12 light years might be too much long a delay for a bitcoin node.    Grin

videos4btc

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 05:01:51 AM

Hum...  12 light years might be too much long a delay for a bitcoin node.    Grin

You never know lol
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 08:47:33 AM

We are in trouble before the sun burns out. In 700 million years , as it ages, the sun has bloated enough to make life impossible: scorching hot desserts and evaporating oceans. Mars should be nice if it is terrraformed in time.

[citation needed]

From what i know, the sun will get bloated and turned into a red giant right before the end of its existence (so still few billions years to go).

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: