Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:52:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stopped by Meze Grill today...  (Read 5045 times)
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 10:55:22 PM

Stopped by Meze Grill today. It was one of my must-visit places during my trip to NY. The food was DELICIOUS! But, I was informed that they don't take Bitcoin any more. "It didn't work out" Sad Anyone have any idea why?
I hope that even if they lost some money on the MyBitcoin fiasco last year, they made it all back and then some from the extra publicity.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 10:58:22 PM

Maybe it wasn't worth having Bruce stop by all the time.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 11:01:21 PM

I actually stopped by there about a year ago for the same reason and they weren't buying/selling or taking btc then either.  

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 11:04:28 PM

Me too, April 2012

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 11:05:25 PM

I actually stopped by there about a year ago for the same reason and they weren't buying/selling or taking btc then either.  

Wow, a year? I guess, considering the girl working there knew what I was talking about, they still get somewhat frequent inquiries about it.
prezbo

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 11:08:25 PM

I'm sure it'd be pretty painless for them if they used bitpay... Maybe it's time to make them reconsider?
Zeeks

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 11:13:00 PM

I asked about this in an IRC chat a while back and was told they lost every bitcoin they had when a bitcoin payment service of some kind disappeared.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 11:22:13 PM

I asked about this in an IRC chat a while back and was told they lost every bitcoin they had when a bitcoin payment service of some kind disappeared.

Maybe that's what Bruce said, but mybitcoin did return 49 or 51%.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 11:24:16 PM

Not to mention losing all of your dollars is obviously a LOL reason to stop accepting dollars. In fact, if someone gave that reason you would know there was a lot more to it than they admit or that it was just false.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 11:27:49 PM

+1 what FreeMoney said.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 11:48:26 PM

When Jacob with NPR was at Bruce's office the day the MBC hack occurred, the computer was supposedly logged into some other person's account (not Bruce's, according to him). Bruce had to log out and start afresh to do a transfer with Jacob so that he would have coins to go and dine at Meze's Grill.

To this day, I believe Bruce purposely left that page on the screen for the NPR guys to see, knowing that would make a great cover for him. Remember, Bruce was the only person to get all his coins back, presumably 25,000 BTC. I can only imagine the thing Ed had to do to stop Bruce from crying on his show that one day.
jwzguy

Activity: 868

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 11:50:08 PM

To this day, I believe Bruce purposely left that page on the screen for the NPR guys to see, knowing that would make a great cover for him. Remember, Bruce was the only person to get all his coins back, presumably 25,000 BTC.
First I've heard that Bruce got all his coins back. Do you have a source?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 12:17:14 AM

To this day, I believe Bruce purposely left that page on the screen for the NPR guys to see, knowing that would make a great cover for him. Remember, Bruce was the only person to get all his coins back, presumably 25,000 BTC.

Not at the top of my head, but I think I recall him stating such on a subsequent show.
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 02:37:01 AM

Im very disapointed to read that stuff about Meze Grill..  Cry  Kinda sad when a business opt out !
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 03:01:22 AM

Still listed in https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Real_world_shops
and https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Business_and_organizations_that_%22also_accept_Bitcoin%22,_but_do_not_revolve_around_Bitcoin

I feel bad removing them, but will do so. If you disagree, please voice your concern!

I wonder what percent of listed businesses actually do not accept BTC anymore...

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 03:56:08 AM

Still listed in https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Real_world_shops
and https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Business_and_organizations_that_%22also_accept_Bitcoin%22,_but_do_not_revolve_around_Bitcoin

I feel bad removing them, but will do so. If you disagree, please voice your concern!

I wonder what percent of listed businesses actually do not accept BTC anymore...

Consider uses the almighty circumstance symbol.

TheBible

Activity: 125

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 04:30:16 AM

"It didn't work out" Sad Anyone have any idea why?

Probably that time all their bitcoins just up and vanished and they had absolutely no recourse to get any more than 49% of them back.

Turns out, that isn't what people are looking for in a currency.
TheBible

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 04:32:55 AM

I'm sure it'd be pretty painless for them if they used bitpay... Maybe it's time to make them reconsider?

Looks like they'd rather just take money.  If that gets stolen, it is insured and they can actually get it back.
TheBible

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 04:33:58 AM

Not to mention losing all of your dollars is obviously a LOL reason to stop accepting dollars. In fact, if someone gave that reason you would know there was a lot more to it than they admit or that it was just false.

Dollars are also accepted everywhere, and if they are hacked from your bank account, they are insured and will be returned.  Nothing in Bitcoin offers that.
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 05:06:23 AM

Dollars are also accepted everywhere, and if they are hacked from your bank account, they are insured and will be returned.  Nothing in Bitcoin offers that.

They don't take dollars (usually), they take credit cards. If those are hacked, they are not returned, either (chargebacks, hacked credit accounts, etc). Only checking and savings accounts are insured, but it takes a bit for the money to actually get there.

But, yeah, whatever, "it's just fake money" and all that. Just as fake as the digital 0s and 1s that made up the first credit card accounts. It was just some piece of plastic with numbers on it representing some fake "digital" monopoly crap that wasn't even insured, not the real, actual printed paper money that everyone knew was real because you can touch it. No one accepted credit cards for those reasons, either, and then credit cards failed spectacularly!
imanikin

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 05:34:56 AM

That's not true. I didn't get any of the few i had there back from MyBitcoin, and know another person who didn't, and you can find a bunch here who didn't...

MyBitcoin was a total scam, and did more damage to Bitcoin than anything else i've seen.

The worst part is that people like Bruce in "the Bitcoin community" - who publicly recommended MyBitcoin, and supposedly lost a lot of B there - did not even bother to put up a bounty for the identity and whereabouts of "Tom Williams" of MyBitcoin. (No one disappears without a trace, if there is incentive to look for him...) And since then, there have been several other big rip-offs, as you know...

So, i am not surprized that Meze Grill got out of Bitcoin after taking a risk, trailblazing, getting burned, and not having any recourse at all to even see the prospect of anyone being caught not to mention punished for their loss. They have a business to run, which works fine without Bitcoin...  Wink

cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 05:54:34 AM

Not to mention losing all of your dollars is obviously a LOL reason to stop accepting dollars.

Yes, but losing all your BTC is not a LOL reason to stop accepting BTC.
imanikin

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 06:14:40 AM

Yes, but losing all your BTC is not a LOL reason to stop accepting BTC.
+1 It was a sensible thing for Meze to do, especially because back then there were no other payment processors, even as lame as MyBitcoin was...

imanikin

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 06:26:49 AM

...a little bit of Bitcoin nostalgia for those who are not familiar with those days and the Meze Grill story   Sad

CharlieContent

Activity: 210

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 07:02:56 AM

This is such a fucking autistic thing to say.
prezbo

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 09:09:07 AM

Looks like they'd rather just take money.  If that gets stolen, it is insured and they can actually get it back.
That's exactly why I suggested they use bitpay. As far as I know, bitpay exchanges btc to usd on the fly, and deposits the money to a bank account once per day (or maybe it's once per week?)...
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 10:45:51 AM

Good idea. Let's force merchants to use bitpay. LOL what a dumbass thought.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 10:47:52 AM

Bitcoin has not hit critical mass. It may never given how much bad press bitcoin has gotten. Having merchant stop using bitcoin is a bad sign. Not sure if others have stopped.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 11:24:11 AM

http://youtu.be/OjV3wdXDHDk
prezbo

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 12:23:17 PM
Last edit: November 25, 2012, 12:58:53 PM by prezbo

Ah, maybe it was poorly worded (english is not my native language after all), but I'm pretty sure you knew exactly what I meant. Why wouldn't they use bitpay, if that makes their life easier and keeps users wanting to spend their bitcoins comming back?

I now see why your ignore button is bright orange...
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 04:27:59 PM

Ah, maybe it was poorly worded (english is not my native language after all), but I'm pretty sure you knew exactly what I meant. Why wouldn't they use bitpay, if that makes their life easier and keeps users wanting to spend their bitcoins comming back?

I now see why your ignore button is bright orange...

+1 The only reason I even went to that one restaurant, among the hundreds in the immediate area, is that I'd hoped to spend some bitcoin directly. Now, unless they start accepting it again, I'd rather explore other places in the area. Though, granted, there probably aren't very many of us Bitcoin users for them to make accepting them worth it.
Since Bitcoin is an Internet currency, it would probably be best to keep expanding its use on the web, as we had been over the past year, and only start bugging merchants once it's fairly well established. Besides, with the BTC debit card coming out soon (ish), we'll still be able to use our btc everywhere, anyway.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 04:33:42 PM

Bitcoin has not hit critical mass. It may never given how much bad press bitcoin has gotten. Having merchant stop using bitcoin is a bad sign. Not sure if others have stopped.

One of the hotels that made a news last year when they announced they were accepting btc:
I spoke recently with Kim, who told me the only Bitcoin transaction he handled was the one that the New Yorkerwriter, Joshua Davis, insisted on using to pay for his stay at the Howard Johnson.And, Kim said, it was a hassle.Davis first transferred regular cash to one of the Bitcoin exchanges. He then transferred the Bitcoins to Kim, who in turn had to exchange them once more into dollars before he could transfer them to the hotel’s deposit account.“I don’t even care about Bitcoin anymore,” Kim says. Davis “might as well have given me his credit card information; it would have been way simpler."
http://www.americanbanker.com/bankthink/The-Good-Wife-Bitcoin-for-Dummies-1045987-1.html

Things have changed, though. For those business owners who prefer pure fiat, there are Paysius and BitPay and MtGox merchant solutions to automatically and seemlessly accept bitcoin payments and get USD in their bank accounts. Irreversible, jnlike cc. Cheaper. Better.

In fact, I always argue that we shouldn't even tell these kinds of merchants they should start "accepting bitcoins" - they should start accepting payments through the Bitcoin network. There is Visa, MasterCard, PayPal, Interac, Dwolla, and there is Bitcoin, too. Open source, extremely low cost, extremely secure. Don't even mention coins, wallets, exchanges, any of that.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 08:40:49 PM

That's not true. I didn't get any of the few i had there back from MyBitcoin, and know another person who didn't, and you can find a bunch here who didn't...

MyBitcoin was a total scam, and did more damage to Bitcoin than anything else i've seen.

The worst part is that people like Bruce in "the Bitcoin community" - who publicly recommended MyBitcoin, and supposedly lost a lot of B there - did not even bother to put up a bounty for the identity and whereabouts of "Tom Williams" of MyBitcoin. (No one disappears without a trace, if there is incentive to look for him...) And since then, there have been several other big rip-offs, as you know...

So, i am not surprized that Meze Grill got out of Bitcoin after taking a risk, trailblazing, getting burned, and not having any recourse at all to even see the prospect of anyone being caught not to mention punished for their loss. They have a business to run, which works fine without Bitcoin...  Wink

Nope, but Bruce was sure quick to offer to hold the wallet containing publicly-donated money for such a bounty (OK, to accept the offer to hold the wallet, since I can't prove the offer came from a sockpuppet.)

For the curious: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34443.msg429636#msg429636

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 11:06:43 AM

It seems pretty likely that Mybitcoins were run by Bruce, and he was the one who took the money. He's a convicted scammer, and a lot of the messages from "Tom Williams" were written in the same characteristic way, with only lower case and lots of ..., as Bruce used to write.
CharlieContent

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 11:32:23 AM

It seems pretty likely that Mybitcoins were run by Bruce, and he was the one who took the money. He's a convicted scammer, and a lot of the messages from "Tom Williams" were written in the same characteristic way, with only lower case and lots of ..., as Bruce used to write.

Plus Bruce needed more cash so he could continue to pretend to be a talk show host on the internet. What is it with people pretending shit on the internet and Bitcoin? BCB pretending to be a hardened TV detective who doesn't play by the rules, Nefario pretending to run a stock exchange, AugustoCroppo pretending to be married, Dank pretending that he's going to be a rock star. Sometimes I think those of us who don't live in some fantasy world are in the minority here.
jwzguy

Activity: 868

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 05:05:15 PM

I hope you're never on any juries.
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2012, 05:19:31 PM

One problem with that theory: Bruce is not an IT guy and doesn't really understand tech that well. An online Bitcoin wallet requires one to know how to set up a web page with background code/database, how to actually write web code, and how to specifically write Bitcoin code. Bruce doesn't know how to do any of that, other than setting up a rudimentary web site. I don't think his bf knows any of that either. And his previous scam had nothing to do with internet or tech. So, about the best you can claim is that Bruce hired someone who is really good with IT and Bitcoin to build the site for him, 1.5 years before he decided to steal everyone's money, back when Bitcoin was worth under $1. And that's a bit of a stretch,.
CharlieContent

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 05:26:45 PM

One problem with that theory: Bruce is not an IT guy and doesn't really understand tech that well. An online Bitcoin wallet requires one to know how to set up a web page with background code/database, how to actually write web code, and how to specifically write Bitcoin code. Bruce doesn't know how to do any of that, other than setting up a rudimentary web site. I don't think his bf knows any of that either. And his previous scam had nothing to do with internet or tech. So, about the best you can claim is that Bruce hired someone who is really good with IT and Bitcoin to build the site for him, 1.5 years before he decided to steal everyone's money, back when Bitcoin was worth under $1. And that's a bit of a stretch,.

Is there another reason why Bruce disappeared from the Bitcoin community?
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2012, 05:58:24 PM
Last edit: November 27, 2012, 01:25:22 AM by Rassah

Is there another reason why Bruce disappeared from the Bitcoin community?

He was laughed out of it for being a scammer, making somewhat blah talk shows, and heavily promoting an online wallet that eventually stole half of everyone's money. Reputation ruined, so he's not coming back. He's probably still involved somehow. Even tried to start his own forum that he would try to moderate for trolls. Don't know what happened to it though.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 12:53:10 AM

He's probably still involved somehow. Even tried to start his own forum that he would try to moderate for tells. Don't know what happened to it though.

Last one heard of him was he offered BTC exchange services with a ridiculously convoluted exchange process, got a single order and payment he never fulfilled, the victim screamed for Bruce's head on bitcointalk, then neither of them was heard from again.
CharlieContent

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 08:51:58 AM

He was laughed out of it

Haha imagine being laughed out of this clown college of a forum. Embarrassing stuff!
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 04:06:05 PM

He was laughed out of it

Haha imagine being laughed out of this clown college of a forum. Embarrassing stuff!

Considering how often it happens around here, maybe it's not as much of a "clown college" as you think.
CharlieContent

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 08:21:41 AM

He was laughed out of it

Considering how often it happens around here, maybe it's not as much of a "clown college" as you think.

Aren't you the guy with the creepy coffee table?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 04:36:19 PM

He was laughed out of it

Rassah's coffee table is a fine piece of art. Definitely not creepy.
CharlieContent

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 09:27:22 AM

He was laughed out of it

Rassah's coffee table is a fine piece of art. Definitely not creepy.

Hahaha. Of course it is.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2012, 02:27:32 AM

Well I'm going to New York City this weekend.  I just called them again to confirm they don't accept bitcoin...

Figured I'd do my part to remind them they are missing my business.

Any other New York Restaurants close to Time Square that accept bitcoin?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2012, 02:43:40 AM

The crepes one isn't close, and I don't know if they still do.

If you are going to be near there, make ABSOLUTELY SURE that you stop by Grom ice cream shop. It is the only authentic Italian gellato place on the east coast (all others I've tried that call themselves gellato, even expensive ones, are just plain crap ice cream). It's a bit pricey, but it's very much worth it. Also, if you have room, get their hot chocolate. It's like as concentrated espresso of hot chocolates.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: