Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 06:23:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stopped by Meze Grill today...  (Read 5045 times)
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 10:55:22 PM

Stopped by Meze Grill today. It was one of my must-visit places during my trip to NY. The food was DELICIOUS! But, I was informed that they don't take Bitcoin any more. "It didn't work out" Sad Anyone have any idea why?
I hope that even if they lost some money on the MyBitcoin fiasco last year, they made it all back and then some from the extra publicity.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 10:58:22 PM

Maybe it wasn't worth having Bruce stop by all the time.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 11:01:21 PM

I actually stopped by there about a year ago for the same reason and they weren't buying/selling or taking btc then either.  

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 11:04:28 PM

Me too, April 2012

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 11:05:25 PM

I actually stopped by there about a year ago for the same reason and they weren't buying/selling or taking btc then either.  

Wow, a year? I guess, considering the girl working there knew what I was talking about, they still get somewhat frequent inquiries about it.
prezbo

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 11:08:25 PM

I'm sure it'd be pretty painless for them if they used bitpay... Maybe it's time to make them reconsider?
Zeeks

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 11:13:00 PM

I asked about this in an IRC chat a while back and was told they lost every bitcoin they had when a bitcoin payment service of some kind disappeared.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 11:22:13 PM

I asked about this in an IRC chat a while back and was told they lost every bitcoin they had when a bitcoin payment service of some kind disappeared.

Maybe that's what Bruce said, but mybitcoin did return 49 or 51%.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 11:24:16 PM

Not to mention losing all of your dollars is obviously a LOL reason to stop accepting dollars. In fact, if someone gave that reason you would know there was a lot more to it than they admit or that it was just false.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 11:27:49 PM

+1 what FreeMoney said.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 11:48:26 PM

Maybe that's what Bruce said, but mybitcoin did return 49 or 51%.

When Jacob with NPR was at Bruce's office the day the MBC hack occurred, the computer was supposedly logged into some other person's account (not Bruce's, according to him). Bruce had to log out and start afresh to do a transfer with Jacob so that he would have coins to go and dine at Meze's Grill.

To this day, I believe Bruce purposely left that page on the screen for the NPR guys to see, knowing that would make a great cover for him. Remember, Bruce was the only person to get all his coins back, presumably 25,000 BTC. I can only imagine the thing Ed had to do to stop Bruce from crying on his show that one day.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 11:50:08 PM

To this day, I believe Bruce purposely left that page on the screen for the NPR guys to see, knowing that would make a great cover for him. Remember, Bruce was the only person to get all his coins back, presumably 25,000 BTC.
First I've heard that Bruce got all his coins back. Do you have a source?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 12:17:14 AM

To this day, I believe Bruce purposely left that page on the screen for the NPR guys to see, knowing that would make a great cover for him. Remember, Bruce was the only person to get all his coins back, presumably 25,000 BTC.
First I've heard that Bruce got all his coins back. Do you have a source?

Not at the top of my head, but I think I recall him stating such on a subsequent show.
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 02:37:01 AM

Im very disapointed to read that stuff about Meze Grill..  Cry  Kinda sad when a business opt out !
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 03:01:22 AM

Still listed in https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Real_world_shops
and https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Business_and_organizations_that_%22also_accept_Bitcoin%22,_but_do_not_revolve_around_Bitcoin

I feel bad removing them, but will do so. If you disagree, please voice your concern!

I wonder what percent of listed businesses actually do not accept BTC anymore...

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 03:56:08 AM

Still listed in https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Real_world_shops
and https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Business_and_organizations_that_%22also_accept_Bitcoin%22,_but_do_not_revolve_around_Bitcoin

I feel bad removing them, but will do so. If you disagree, please voice your concern!

I wonder what percent of listed businesses actually do not accept BTC anymore...

Consider uses the almighty circumstance symbol.

TheBible

Activity: 125

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 04:30:16 AM

"It didn't work out" Sad Anyone have any idea why?

Probably that time all their bitcoins just up and vanished and they had absolutely no recourse to get any more than 49% of them back.

Turns out, that isn't what people are looking for in a currency.
TheBible

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 04:32:55 AM

I'm sure it'd be pretty painless for them if they used bitpay... Maybe it's time to make them reconsider?

Looks like they'd rather just take money.  If that gets stolen, it is insured and they can actually get it back.
TheBible

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 04:33:58 AM

Not to mention losing all of your dollars is obviously a LOL reason to stop accepting dollars. In fact, if someone gave that reason you would know there was a lot more to it than they admit or that it was just false.

Dollars are also accepted everywhere, and if they are hacked from your bank account, they are insured and will be returned.  Nothing in Bitcoin offers that.
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 05:06:23 AM

Dollars are also accepted everywhere, and if they are hacked from your bank account, they are insured and will be returned.  Nothing in Bitcoin offers that.

They don't take dollars (usually), they take credit cards. If those are hacked, they are not returned, either (chargebacks, hacked credit accounts, etc). Only checking and savings accounts are insured, but it takes a bit for the money to actually get there.

But, yeah, whatever, "it's just fake money" and all that. Just as fake as the digital 0s and 1s that made up the first credit card accounts. It was just some piece of plastic with numbers on it representing some fake "digital" monopoly crap that wasn't even insured, not the real, actual printed paper money that everyone knew was real because you can touch it. No one accepted credit cards for those reasons, either, and then credit cards failed spectacularly!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: