Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:22:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wanted: New hardware  (Read 1054 times)
imap30 (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 08:20:41 AM

I want to purchase some new asic miners. are there any asic miners that use the 22nm fab process or lower?

I have a lot of distaste for antminer because of the u3's that I have. What are some other brands out there?
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vortexz
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 08:51:46 AM

you can always get an avalon 6 if you dislike the antminers Tongue
they might not have better efficiency or better price, but most likely they have better build quality
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 09:26:27 AM

you can always get an avalon 6 if you dislike the antminers Tongue
they might not have better efficiency or better price, but most likely they have better build quality

Right now the two miners for home/hobby are Bitmain and Avalon.   There will be more in future like that b-11 I think it is.   But as far as timeline... hard to say.

And with price jumping up so quick it is letting older miners mine longer. So that works out nicely for people with a little older gear.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 07:40:48 AM

Nobody is selling home miners using anything less than a 28nm process.

KnC and Bitfury have announced that they are making mining hardware on smaller process, but they ONLY deal with their own farms or VERY LARGE mining corps.

BW.com (Lketc) has announced their B-Eleven miner will be using a 14nm process, but the specs indicate it is NOT a full custom design. Should be available in a month or two.

Innosilicon has announced their A3 chip will be 14nm.
 Based on commentary about their 14nm A4 Scrypt chip due out the same time as the A3 being a full custom design and A4 miners in "full production" in 3 months or so, I suspect that the A3 is ALSO a full-custom design, likely to be the most efficient on the market, and miners based on the A3 (and A4) should be available to home miners around end of Febuary.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 08:05:36 AM

they will begin to sell the more efficient miners, when those miners will begin first to earn coin for them and then when their efficiency will not be seen as a good as the beginning

it's a common strategy used by every farm that sell asic, they will be sold when not profitable anymore for casual miners
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 10:10:16 PM

I want to purchase some new asic miners. are there any asic miners that use the 22nm fab process or lower?

I have a lot of distaste for antminer because of the u3's that I have. What are some other brands out there?

The u3's are bad, there is a way to fix the Zombie thing, since i assume thats your issue, with the r1 router or a simple restart script, iirc.

But don't take that as a ground for how the S's are. The S3(And S1) and S5 are pretty solid, though the S5 need a bit of post purchase work. The S2 and S4 work fine out of the box, though they are noisy.

The S7, well it worries me with the heatsink that can falloff and its a very big piece of hardware to get in one bite, but its still a good miner if you don't melt the thermal plaster.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 12:22:42 AM

The u3's are bad, there is a way to fix the Zombie thing, since i assume thats your issue, with the r1 router or a simple restart script, iirc.

But don't take that as a ground for how the S's are. The S3(And S1) and S5 are pretty solid, though the S5 need a bit of post purchase work. The S2 and S4 work fine out of the box, though they are noisy.

The S7, well it worries me with the heatsink that can falloff and its a very big piece of hardware to get in one bite, but its still a good miner if you don't melt the thermal plaster.

If you don't have a script to fix the U3's you will hate them.  Waking up to zombies... going to bed to zombies... so much work to reset over and over.  It get's tiring.

I used crazyguy's custom R1 he sells with firmware to reset U3's and have 3 U3's on it soloing.  Chances are it will never pay off.... but lotto is still fun.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 09:00:11 AM

I have to wonder how much of the zombie issue is U3 specific, and how much of it is USB miners in general, as I saw far-too-frequent zombies out of the Gridseed blades (not daily, but usually more than once a week per blade).

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 01:20:32 PM

I have to wonder how much of the zombie issue is U3 specific, and how much of it is USB miners in general, as I saw far-too-frequent zombies out of the Gridseed blades (not daily, but usually more than once a week per blade).

I have had 0 Zombie issue with any device whatsoever. I have 3 different miners that connect through USB right now and i do not get Zombie at all. I'm guessing the U3 were mass fabricated with a defect and now we need to use a workaround solution for it.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 04:40:02 PM

I have had 0 Zombie issue with any device whatsoever. I have 3 different miners that connect through USB right now and i do not get Zombie at all. I'm guessing the U3 were mass fabricated with a defect and now we need to use a workaround solution for it.

Are you saying you had 0 zombies with U3?  Or are you saying with other devices?

It's pretty U3 specific other ones can get it.  But it seems to be firmware that is not the greatest on U3.  They can be helped with scrypts and it really does help.  But out of box they are not so great.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 10:15:25 PM

Are you saying you had 0 zombies with U3?  Or are you saying with other devices?

It's pretty U3 specific other ones can get it.  But it seems to be firmware that is not the greatest on U3.  They can be helped with scrypts and it really does help.  But out of box they are not so great.

I had 0 issue with other USB miner device in general. The problem only seem to happen with U3. I'm sure there are other miners out there that go zombie. But many does not and work great.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 12:11:16 AM

I had 0 issue with other USB miner device in general. The problem only seem to happen with U3. I'm sure there are other miners out there that go zombie. But many does not and work great.

You can zombie out other miners, it's just harder.  U3 pretty much do it on their own.   I have managed to do it with compacs when playing.   It was in the upper freq, and likely not enough power from hub.   Also adjusted voltage on compac and it fixed it.

But you can do it with other's you just have to push them pretty hard from my experience.  U3 just is easiest by far as it does it on it's own.
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 06:41:19 AM

I had a USB based mining setup that literally ran for 5+ months without intervention. Once I ditched all the wall-warts and went to a single ATX supply with stable and adequate 5V (for the hubs and Raspberry PI), and 12V for fans and Asicminer Rbox miners it was rock steady. The other thing I attribute the stability to was the Raspberry Pi and giving up on Windows XP.  That setup just chugged right along at a steady 100+ GH, and you could always tell it was still cooking along by the blinking lights in the dark.

I never had the misfortune of owning a U3, but did have U1 and U2 miners which were rock-steady. I think the U3 was a real let-down based on the U1/U2 experience.

Sidehack's Compac fits into the rock-steady category, with stable power as well.

USB is NOT the stumbling block it might appear to be.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 10:34:18 AM

I concede I had better luck when I bounced the Gridseeds over to one of my Linux machines - tended to go 1-2 weeks between a zombie instead of 2-3 days on average - but STILL wasn't even close to what I would count as reliable.

Might have been more about the Gridseeds than about USB in general, I suppose.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: