Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:41:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hilarious bots posting nonsense: what's the point?  (Read 10177 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2015, 10:54:34 PM

Sometimes when you negotiate with terrorists hostages get to live. Undecided
You have to consider the amount of damage in those cases. What is this spammer achieving actually by doing this? Nothing. Basically the only thing that this causes is minor annoyance for the users and more work for the moderators, that's it. I actually don't mind the extra work because 90% (or more) of the time there are no reports to handle (there are quite a few of us that are very active).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
thejaytiesto (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 11:01:26 PM

For those saying that there is a pattern in the way the bots posts, he keeps changing it, so there is no way in determining if a thread is made by an human or by the bot by text content alone, it would require some sort of proof of work basically a captcha that is known to be resilient against bots, other than that we can't do nothing but report the threads as quick as possible.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 11:45:21 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2015, 02:16:02 AM by BlindMayorBitcorn

Sometimes when you negotiate with terrorists hostages get to live. Undecided
You have to consider the amount of damage in those cases. What is this spammer achieving actually by doing this? Nothing. Basically the only thing that this causes is minor annoyance for the users and more work for the moderators, that's it. I actually don't mind the extra work because 90% (or more) of the time there are no reports to handle (there are quite a few of us that are very active).

Of course you're not wrong. I guess I just think permabans are harsh justice. I don't even know why it happened tbh; but as to OP's original question: what's the point? I'm pretty sure Hilarious was right, it's a form of protest.

And honestly given some of the virulent, clown-mouthed bigotry I've witnessed here, I don't see what's so offensive about a particularly literate beartroll in the first place.

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1005

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 06:54:07 AM

Ooh the bot maker did a big mistake, posting spam in -ck's board.
P.S: See I told you guys it was the KNC miner guy
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2015, 07:45:35 AM

Of course you're not wrong. I guess I just think permabans are harsh justice. I don't even know why it happened tbh; but as to OP's original question: what's the point? I'm pretty sure Hilarious was right, it's a form of protest.

And honestly given some of the virulent, clown-mouthed bigotry I've witnessed here, I don't see what's so offensive about a particularly literate beartroll in the first place.
See, that is your personal opinion and it seems and you're quite soft (don't get me wrong). This is something that is present among moderators as well (some are softer and some are stricter). I actually don't mind permabans. One of the reasons for this is that I've done bad here too in the past which got me into trouble. However, after acknowledging my mistakes I've worked hard on improving my habits as much as I can. People who don't take their 1st/2nd warning seriously and don't do anything about it need to be permanently banned.

Ooh the bot maker did a big mistake, posting spam in -ck's board.
P.S: See I told you guys it was the KNC miner guy
Maybe.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 08:11:51 AM

See, that is your personal opinion and it seems and you're quite soft (don't get me wrong). This is something that is present among moderators as well (some are softer and some are stricter). I actually don't mind permabans. One of the reasons for this is that I've done bad here too in the past which got me into trouble. However, after acknowledging my mistakes I've worked hard on improving my habits as much as I can. People who don't take their 1st/2nd warning seriously and don't do anything about it need to be permanently banned.

I'm a big softy. Point taken.  Tongue

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
znickelbackz

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 03:18:45 PM

maybe just for practice, some amateur's work to get used to
Pathi

Activity: 244

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 05:35:53 PM

It looks like they are concentrating on the mining forum today.
tarsua

Activity: 266

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 06:01:53 PM

It looks like they are concentrating on the mining forum today.
ya, i already reported one post from there, i think the mods should just ban usernames that appear to be randomly generated
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2015, 06:05:06 PM

ya, i already reported one post from there, i think the mods should just ban usernames that appear to be randomly generated
We aren't banning them until we are sure that they are spamming. In other words, we ban spammers such as him as soon as we seen the post. This is why reports from the community are very useful (sometimes I don't have time to Patrol but have enough time to handle reports if there are some).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 08:32:40 AM

I haven't seen one with a link in before.

I've just reported one that had a link to litecointalk:

Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2015, 09:57:02 AM

-snip-
Then you aren't really aware of what happened with the kncminer guy. He has spammed the forum in several different approaches (be it with links, BTC begging, randomized words, etc). You should not be surprised and we're really nuking a lot daily (both manually and the bot).

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 11:44:08 AM

Still no verbs in these, or any semblance of grammar.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
brituspol

Activity: 458

From nothing to nothing

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 12:07:13 PM

Still no verbs in these, or any semblance of grammar.
Just wait for it, someday they'll create an awesome haiku
hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 01:44:17 PM

-snip-
Then you aren't really aware of what happened with the kncminer guy. He has spammed the forum in several different approaches (be it with links, BTC begging, randomized words, etc). You should not be surprised and we're really nuking a lot daily (both manually and the bot).

Yeah I've seen a lot of it but not with an external link. I feel for you and the others mods / admins having to deal with this rubbish as I'm sure you've all got a million things better to do.

Its a shame you cant either block the guys IP or implement changes to the forum where a captcha of sorts needs to be used to sign up and / or make a first post or where a new accounts first post(s) need to be approved by a mod / admin before its posted. However I'm not sure if the latter feature is available on this forum software.

These ideas have probably been discussed before though. Bloody annoying which ever way you look at it.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2015, 01:58:29 PM

Yeah I've seen a lot of it but not with an external link. I feel for you and the others mods / admins having to deal with this rubbish as I'm sure you've all got a million things better to do.

Its a shame you cant either block the guys IP or implement changes to the forum where a captcha of sorts needs to be used to sign up and / or make a first post or where a new accounts first post(s) need to be approved by a mod / admin before its posted. However I'm not sure if the latter feature is available on this forum software.
Admins aren't dealing with this though, mostly patrollers. Anyhow, it's not a single IP as that can be blocked. He has access to a huge quantity of them. Captcha and similar features can be implemented but theymos does not think they would be effective at all (where I don't fully agree). I think that he could be drastically slowed down with a combination of features. We definitely need to think of something and not let this continue in the new forum.

These ideas have probably been discussed before though. Bloody annoying which ever way you look at it.
Are you from Australia?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
onlinepro

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 02:05:35 PM

Why not just force new members fill captchas before they can post?

InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2015, 02:14:09 PM

This suggestion was already discussed before and many users didn't appreciate it. If the bot is able to solve 1 captcha it will solve 10 and only the real newbies will suffer.
I am still supporting the idea of implementing new captcha in the registration and to solve only 1 captcha for the first post.

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
hedgy73
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2015, 02:15:45 PM

Admins aren't dealing with this though, mostly patrollers. Anyhow, it's not a single IP as that can be blocked. He has access to a huge quantity of them. Captcha and similar features can be implemented but theymos does not think they would be effective at all (where I don't fully agree). I think that he could be drastically slowed down with a combination of features. We definitely need to think of something and not let this continue in the new forum.

Are you from Australia?

Well fingers crossed something is done soon.

No I'm in the UK, we use the word bloody quite a lot too Cheesy.
minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2015, 02:24:30 PM

Captcha and similar features can be implemented but theymos does not think they would be effective at all (where I don't fully agree).
Captchas wouldn't be a solution simply because anyone with basic technical prowess with bots will be able to set up a captcha solving service for a low cost. Let's say that you have to use a captcha to create an account, it would cost them about $0.5 to solve 1,000 captchas and make 1,000 accounts. Not to mention this would only slow them down by a second or two.

Are you from Australia?
Bloody is a common term in the UK too. Tongue
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: