Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:59:22 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's the money, Lebowski?  (Read 8737 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2015, 07:44:00 AM

Well if the forum is spending more then it is bringing in then it might be in need of additional money to complete the new software.

It is too bad if theymos will not lower the donation requirements. I am not sure I would fork over 10BTC to get a donator tag, I probably would give half that though.
IIRC he might add another donation tier which would require you to donate less, however he will definitely not be changing the requirements for Donator/VIP (10/50). I don't think the forum needs the money though.

Not before the end of the month? 
I said up to two months. This means that it could be revealed tomorrow. Cut the nonsense.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
tmfp
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737

"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 08:43:57 AM

Does this mean that you will be soliciting donations again? Maybe with lower thresholds to become a donator/VIP and/or introducing a lower ranked special rank?

The vast majority of total forum revenue was from ads, not donations

I don't think the forum is hurting for revenue.
Well if the forum is spending more then it is bringing in then it might be in need of additional money to complete the new software.

It is too bad if theymos will not lower the donation requirements. I am not sure I would fork over 10BTC to get a donator tag, I probably would give half that though.

I think that if the donator amount was lowered to that sort of level then it could become attractive to high budget scammers going for a legitimacy play, despite any disclaimers that would be made. A browse thru the Foundation members list turns up some interesting names, as in "whatever happened to them".
I don't have the same depth of interest in where's the muneez as the OP, but if I were to consider donating, I think I'd like to know exactly to what entity I would be giving it which doesn't seem very clear at the moment.
It certainly seems to be an eye watering amount of money to spend on a forum but most of us here accept Theymos' autocracy as a fact.
I think I'd be a little pissed tho if I donated and then read a thread about the new BTC200 virtual water cooler that he's bought for the virtual office.

Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Evidence
RobRoyder (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 02:20:51 PM

[...]
No, that is not what I said. Maybe I wasn't clear enough the first time. Let me try again.

Theymos has made many modifications to the forum software, primarily to patch security issues. I don't know the extent of the changes, but you can search around for them in this forum as they have been mentioned in many posts by Theymos in the past. These changes may not be compatible with the latest software. Introducing these mods to the updated software could introduce new security holes yet those changes may be desired for this forum. To add those changes and then hunt down any potential security bugs is probably not worth the effort. [...]

You know that copy of Windows for Workgroups you're still running, because the custom security patches you made would be a 'big pain in the ass' to port to Windows 8?
You know how you're writing your own OS from scratch, so you could use those security cludges you wrote?
Well, some claim you might be OK going with Windows 8, even tho
[...]
When new software versions are released nowadays, some of the security holes from the previous versions often get (by oversight and due to shabby workmanship) omitted. Making them difficult, if not outright impossible, to 're-patch.' [...]
Cøbra
Bitcoin.org domain administrator

Activity: 123
Merit: 470

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2015, 03:21:05 PM

No, theymos does not own this forum.
Theymos has never claimed to be the owner of this forum.
Theymos runs this forum, like a CEO runs a company.
The money was not donated to theymos, it was donated to bitcointalk.

theymos is the co-owner of the bitcointalk.org domain (along with me). So technically, theymos and myself do own this forum. We're not accountable to any shareholders or a board, so your CEO analogy is irrelevant.

It's more accurate to think of the money as being donated to theymos personally, rather than "bitcointalk", because "bitcointalk" doesn't exist as an actual legal entity. Though theymos is under a moral obligation to spend the money on new forum software, which he's done. Though I won't deny that the money probably could have been spent more efficiently.
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 03:33:33 PM

Though I won't deny that the money probably could have been spent more efficiently.

that remains to be seen when the forum software is completed ;-)
i expect something great....if not well...then you are right.

regards and thanks for bitcointalk!

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
RobRoyder (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 04:08:10 PM

[...]

Please post from your main account to confirm.
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2015, 04:29:05 PM

Profile: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=249495
Admin notes:   This is one of the administrators of bitcoin.org
Dunno why you complicate things, be patient..we will see everything soon.

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
RobRoyder (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 04:50:14 PM

[...]
Dunno why you complicate things, be patient..we will see everything soon.

Because account is registered in 2014.
Because bitcoin.org != bitcointalk.org.
Because 'one of the administrators of bitcoin.org' != 'owner of bitcointalk.org.
Because posting from main account is not complicated.
yahoo62278
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 4445

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 12:02:40 AM

I've been reading this thread for a few days and wasn't gonna comment but you OP just forced it. You tell cobra to post from their main acct but yet youre hiding behind your alt??? Hypocrite much?

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
andulolika
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1047

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 12:53:44 AM

Spending over a million dollars for a forum and paying with BTC when BTC is still a child instead of leaving something for the future of the forum?

🔥 🔥 🔥  Satochip - Secure the future  🔥 🔥 🔥
⭐️ Hardware wallet on a smartcard | Affordable and easy to use | Open source and community driven | BTC, LTC, BCH (SLP tokens), ETH (ERC-20 tokens)... ⭐️
──WebsiteShop  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Telegram  |  Github──
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2015, 01:17:04 AM

Spending over a million dollars for a forum and paying with BTC when BTC is still a child instead of leaving something for the future of the forum?
What would they leave? Besides, there is still a ton of BTC owned by the forum, and the advertisements are a constant source of income so as long as people use the forum, there will be money.

RobRoyder (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 02:14:00 AM

I've been reading this thread for a few days and wasn't gonna comment but you OP just forced it. You tell cobra to post from their main acct but yet youre hiding behind your alt??? Hypocrite much?
Had I claimed to be the owner of this website (or the king of Siam), and logged in from an account created last year, you mean? Yes, it would be hugely hypocritical.
I claim to be no one beyond Anon, so I guess the short answer is 'no.'

BTW, next time anyone tells you they own this forum (or the Brooklyn Bridge)? Consider not simply taking their word for it.
Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1030

give me your cryptos

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 04:59:07 AM

They're all just as they should be, except for Theymos. Most likely he used the funds for the upcoming forum UI.

Hey, an even better question, where's the new forum, lebrowski?

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
vodaljepa

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 04:59:42 AM

New forum software will be exciting to see

Hottest Girls On Webcam Naked - Naughty Cams
mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1005

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 02:58:24 PM

I believe OP's intention was asking the same thing, then start arguing about how much theymos has spent on it(a tactic similar to Goat's). But as the question has been "over-asked" , this was probably done to stir things up
XinXan

Activity: 1064
Merit: 505

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 04:13:12 PM

I believe OP's intention was asking the same thing, then start arguing about how much theymos has spent on it(a tactic similar to Goat's). But as the question has been "over-asked" , this was probably done to stir things up

It seems that lately a few newbie accounts have been used to troll the forum, like the other guy called fwxsh or something like that, I wonder if they are all the same person hiding on newbie accounts.
RobRoyder (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 05:45:04 PM

[...]
This thread isn't about theymos' skills as a project manager.

Imagine hiring a contractor to build you a bathroom.
Now imagine looking at the bill, and learning that 2.3 million dollars of your money went to a company called 'Sewage,' to design and build a toilet seat. From scratch.

Q: Would your first thought be:
    a. "Why is my bathroom not finished yet"?
    b. "Perhaps hiring Sewage to designing a toilet seat from scratch wasn't such a smart idea."
    c. "Call me jaded, but there's something not right here.'
    d. "I wasn't doing anything with that 2.3 mill anyhow, maybe the toilet seat will be real nice when its done'

mexxer-2; XinXan: your catty, ad hominem and completely off-topic remarks -- that's trolling.
RobRoyder (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 01:56:31 PM

[...]
The current status of the software is that it's ~85% done. The core of it is entirely functional and often much better/faster than SMF, though there are still several missing features. There will be a public beta before the end of the month, I think, at which time I'll post more about what's left to be done. Also see http://epochtalk.org/ for more info.

Not yet?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2015, 02:48:47 PM

There will be a public beta before the end of the month, I think, at which time I'll post more about what's left to be done.
Read the fine print. It is not ready yet; it's coming though. These things take a lot of time as previously said, especially since even moderators are asking for certain features from time to time.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
RobRoyder (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 03:59:35 PM

Sure. These things take time. Just checking in, seeing if I missed the 2 million dollar beta of our new bbs forum software.
Oh, since you're in the loop, how will the beta interact with this, the legacy forum? Share the database?

Happy New Year!
Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: