Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:49:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Catastrophic Solar Flare Erases All Soft Memory  (Read 1270 times)
Drewski

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 11:36:20 PM

Well, the most vulnerable part of our system to your hypthetical solar flare is the power grid.  With all those nice long wires acting as antennae for the EMP, it'll generate a massive surge that'll make lightning strikes look like a sparkler.  How long do you think it will be for them to fix or replace all the transformers that bring the electricity to your house?  Even if you had a generator and could run your computer, your ISP would most probably be down.  Or wherever you're trying to spend you bitcoins would be down.  This would be one of the last things on my list of worries in that scenario.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 01:06:19 AM

Sorry for the alarming headline.

Google reports a single result for "hardcopy of the blockchain".  So I figured we might find such a phrase useful. I have looked a little into the possibility that all copies of the blockchain could be destroyed by an EMP (very unlikely, it seems), or by a solar flare (more likely, but still seems remote).

Would there be a few heroes who could produce tens of GBs of data with the special properties of the blockchain that make it uniquely identifiable in the event such a catastrophe occurred?  Do I want to be one of them?  Sure, why not.  I need like 10 DVDs and a day or three to burn them.

Honestly, though, I was hoping for some replies that say "Check out [link]" where such an effort is already being undertaken.
If a catastrophic solar flare does erase all soft memory, Bitcoin being damaged will be one of the least of our worries. If I am correct, most banks have      a fair portion of their data on soft memory systems, and that would bring most of society to a halt. Even the things we could buy with Bitcoin would be difficult to process, and even harder to actually receive.

However, having an updated copy of the blockchain every 6 months or so sounds like a good idea, regardless if a solar flare was to wipe out soft memory or not.
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1007

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 02:45:29 AM

Sorry for the alarming headline.

Google reports a single result for "hardcopy of the blockchain".  So I figured we might find such a phrase useful. I have looked a little into the possibility that all copies of the blockchain could be destroyed by an EMP (very unlikely, it seems), or by a solar flare (more likely, but still seems remote).

Would there be a few heroes who could produce tens of GBs of data with the special properties of the blockchain that make it uniquely identifiable in the event such a catastrophe occurred?  Do I want to be one of them?  Sure, why not.  I need like 10 DVDs and a day or three to burn them.

Honestly, though, I was hoping for some replies that say "Check out [link]" where such an effort is already being undertaken.

I keep some of my backup CD's wrapped in tinfoil to protect agains EMP Cheesy

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 02:50:18 AM

it will only hit one side of the planet

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Pages: « 1 [2]  All