Bitcoin Forum
November 20, 2018, 12:43:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.17.0 [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting Up a Bitcoin Node  (Read 28185 times)
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1004

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 06:41:41 AM

added a full node, averaging about 60 connections so far.  re-purposed an "older" HP laptop: switched to SSD on it and stuffed more ram.
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1004

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 06:43:59 AM

whats the best place in terms of cost to get a VM at to load a node?  somewhere where bandwidth isn't an issue?
I don't have time to search for a provider, but of anyone can make a recommendation, that would be great!
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 08:05:10 PM

How do i make Bitcoin Core to NOT be a full node? In Bitcoin Core options i have the "Map port using UPnP" unchecked. I don't have port 8333 open in my router. What else can i do?

H/w Hosting Directory & Reputation - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622998.0
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1003

Think for yourself

View Profile
April 15, 2014, 11:16:31 PM

How do i make Bitcoin Core to NOT be a full node? In Bitcoin Core options i have the "Map port using UPnP" unchecked. I don't have port 8333 open in my router. What else can i do?

Uh, what do you want to accomplish exactly?

Do you not want your bitcoind not communicate to the bitcoin network?

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 03:57:10 PM

I want to communicate with the bitcoin network, but i want less connected nodes. I remember that 8-9 nodes were normal. Now i have something like 50-60 and it seems that it eats up my computer performance. I may be wrong.

H/w Hosting Directory & Reputation - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622998.0
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

Java, PHP, HTML/CSS Programmer for Hire!

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 04:00:06 PM

I want to communicate with the bitcoin network, but i want less connected nodes. I remember that 8-9 nodes were normal. Now i have something like 50-60 and it seems that it eats up my computer performance. I may be wrong.

Also add

Code:
listen=0

To your bitcoin.conf

Want to earn 2500 SATOSHIS per hour? Come Chat and Chill in https://goseemybits.com/lobby
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 04:30:05 PM

Ah, I see.

Use the -Maxconnections=n command line option to limit the number of connections.  The default is 125.
Sam

RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 01:03:42 PM

Thank you both!

Edit:
Ok found some problems. With the listen=0 option Armory doesn't see the Bitcoin Core client running at all. With the -Maxconnections=n i get 8 connections in Bitcoin Core client but Armory keeps connecting and disconnecting nonstop. I also tried with the listen=0 and let Armory run the Bitcoin Core client in the background but it's just stuck at synchronizing with Network.

Will take these to the Armory thread.

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 09:48:17 PM

With the -Maxconnections=n i get 8 connections in Bitcoin Core client

the "n"=the number of connections you want.  If you want 8 connections to the network then you would use the command line such as "bitcoin-qt.exe -maxconnections=8" to start your client.

RoadStress
Legendary

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 12:44:15 AM

With the -Maxconnections=n i get 8 connections in Bitcoin Core client

the "n"=the number of connections you want.  If you want 8 connections to the network then you would use the command line such as "bitcoin-qt.exe -maxconnections=8" to start your client.

My mistake. I used the number 8 in my example. It's what i wanted.

SloRunner

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2014, 04:34:26 PM

New node Smiley

http://bitstat.tk/

milazi

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 03:34:04 AM

Are you done yet, and how is it going?  Port forwarding can be done automatically if your router supports uPnP. It might take many hours to download the whole blockchain, but once this is done, it's done.   You will be running a full node.

Don't use uPnP you will mostly only get 8 connections if you want to be a full node, make sure the port is forward so you can allow incoming connections.

totally right
amad

Activity: 84

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2014, 06:41:41 AM

Also add

Code:
listen=0

To your bitcoin.conf

What is "listen=0" for ?

tomsanders

Activity: 103

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 07:01:39 PM

Hey All

So I want to help the bitcoin network..

I have downloaded bitcoin core.

It is currently syncing to the network.

Port 8333 is being ported to the server.

I assume this is all correct and i'm contributing .., would it benefit running more and more nodes of my servers that currently have little or no load? Or having too many in the same location doesn't benefit the network?

Cheers!
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 07:34:48 PM

Hey All

So I want to help the bitcoin network..

I have downloaded bitcoin core.

It is currently syncing to the network.

Port 8333 is being ported to the server.

I assume this is all correct and i'm contributing .., would it benefit running more and more nodes of my servers that currently have little or no load? Or having too many in the same location doesn't benefit the network?

Cheers!

Once the blockchain has finished syncing then you will start getting more than 8 connections.  At that point your instance can start relaying transactions.

If you install more than one instance on your network, only one IP can have TCP Port 8333 forwarded to it and that is the only one that will relay transactions.  So more instances won't really help at that point.

tomsanders

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 07:46:19 PM

Thanks for the reply , I would be running them from different up address, would this scenario help?

Thanks
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 08:40:07 PM

Thanks for the reply , I would be running them from different up address, would this scenario help?

Thanks

Couldn't hurt.  Especially if they were using different DNS servers or something to make the routes slightly different.  Just try it and see how many transactions the different nodes relay.

Reynaldo
Legendary

Activity: 1132
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 02:56:48 AM

this is a really nice side project with a raspberry pi - Running full bitcoin node on raspberry pi.

https://www.google.com.do/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=bitcoin%20node%20on%20raspberry%20pi
rulesky

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 08:07:30 AM

Here are the steps to set it up:

(1)Download Bitcoin Core and install it. If you want to compile from source rather than running a precompiled binary:
* Linux build notes are here
* OSX build notes are here
* Windows build notes are here

(2)Run Bitcoin Core (either the graphical bitcoin-qt or the bitcoind daemon) so that it starts up, but immediately close it once it starts trying to sync the blockchain. This is in order to create your Bitcoin data directory.

(3)Download the bootstrap torrent. This may take a few hours depending upon your Internet connection, but it will be much faster than downloading the historical blockchain within Bitcoin Core. You can learn more about the bootstrap file here. Note that this step will no longer be necessary for Bitcoin Core version 0.10 and above because blockchain syncing has been parallelized across multiple peers and is now faster than bootstrapping from the file.

(4)While you’re waiting for the torrent to finish, you should configure your home’s router (assuming that you have one.) It’s critical that you forward port 8333 on your router to the IP address of the computer that is running your node. If you don’t do this, you will not be contributing your bandwidth to the network and should not run the node. You can check that your port forwarding works using the “check node” tool on Bitnodes.io when your node is running. If you’re running a software firewall on the machine running the node, you’ll also want to ensure that you create a rule to open up port 8333.

(5)If you want to set up automatic monitoring of your node so that you will be alerted if it stops running, after using Bitnodes’ “check node” tool you can click on your node’s IP address to view its status page. At the bottom of the status page you can enter your email address to receive alerts when the node’s status changes.

(6)For your own convenience — to prevent your Bitcoin node from potentially saturating your home Internet connection — you may also wish to set throttling / QoS rules on your router or via software on the machine’s operating system. The procedure will vary from router to router and OS to OS; not all routers support it. If you’re running Linux, you can alternatively use this bash script to limit the outgoing bandwidth allowed through port 8333. Just change the LIMIT variable to your desired throttled speed.

(7)Once the bootstrap torrent finishes downloading, move the bootstrap.dat file to your Bitcoin data directory.
On Windows, this is: \Users\YOUR_WINDOWS_USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin
On Mac, this is: ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/
On Linux, this is: ~/.bitcoin

(8)Run Bitcoin Core. Assuming that you’re running the graphical user interface, you’ll know that it is working on the bootstrap data because it will say “Importing blocks from disk.” If you’re running bitcoind you should be able to see the import occurring if you view the debug.log file in the Bitcoin data directory. Note that this process may take several hours and will be fairly intensive on your machine due to the verifications being performed upon the data.

(9)If you bootstrapped from the historical file, once the import completes, Bitcoin Core will rename the bootstrap file to “bootstrap.dat.old” and you should now delete it to free up hard drive space.

(10)You’re done! Now you just want to keep the machine online and make sure that you upgrade your node by installing new releases of Bitcoin Core.
tomsanders

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 10:15:38 PM

Just a little question,
looking at the stats for bitcoin core, i can see the connections coming in but its always staying on 8 outgoing? Is this just the way it is or will this rise aswell... bare in mind ive had this running for about a hour now.

thanks
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.