Bitcoin Forum
December 11, 2018, 03:05:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 0.17.0 [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting Up a Bitcoin Node  (Read 28185 times)
Wave

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 02:24:52 AM

Alright Gents, I have 25 connections now and have relayed a couple of transactions first on blockchain.info.  How do I become a better node?  Static IP?  Forced connections to other fast nodes?  I have 30MBPS down and 6 up...

-Wave

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AfricanHunter

Activity: 157
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 03:09:22 AM

Is there any other benefit to running a full node beyond increasing the diversity/stability of the network?

Im not sure but having more connections would mean that blocks are loaded faster if you have to download blocks for some days. With standard client it can be hard to wait to download the blocks of last days.
Its hard to wait until to get confirmations but even harder when you cant use bitcoins because you miss the last blocks. With more connections this should be faster.

That is false, downloading of blocks are depended on I/O speeds, CPU, and network, this will not make blocks download faster.

The benefits are that your helping the network and protecting it.

Thanks guys, appreciate the information

Thinking about doing business with johnniewalkerhttps://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=72227?
First read this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131841.0

Also, Join the National Rifle Association to protect 2nd Amendment Rights http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR020022
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

House Nogleg

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 12:04:44 PM

Is there any other benefit to running a full node beyond increasing the diversity/stability of the network?

Im not sure but having more connections would mean that blocks are loaded faster if you have to download blocks for some days. With standard client it can be hard to wait to download the blocks of last days.
Its hard to wait until to get confirmations but even harder when you cant use bitcoins because you miss the last blocks. With more connections this should be faster.

That is false, downloading of blocks are depended on I/O speeds, CPU, and network, this will not make blocks download faster.

Strange. I never had much traffic or cpu and blocks were loading painful slow with 8 connections. So my guess was that, like with every other p2p-network you only need more partners to get blocks faster. Ok, then the border is somewhere else...

whenever i have a significant amt of blocks I need to catch up on, i just connect to one fast node..   then there's no risk of slow peers, taking the 'network' out of the equation

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1003

Think for yourself

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 01:03:53 PM

Alright Gents, I have 25 connections now and have relayed a couple of transactions first on blockchain.info. 
-Wave

I setup port forwarding to my client last night.  I'm up to 28 connections now.

How do you know you've relayed transactions?  Does the client log that?
Thanks,
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Wave

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 01:59:38 PM

Os2Sam,
Search for your IP address on blockchain.info site is how I did it.

-Wave
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 03:03:16 PM

Os2Sam,

-Wave

Oh, OK.  Obvious enough Smiley.

Well you've helped me move forward a little more.  Hadn't really thought much about setting up port forwarding to my Bitcoin node in a while, now with your, and others, here input I've gotten it done.
Thanks,
Sam

bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 10:38:31 PM

Strange. I never had much traffic or cpu and blocks were loading painful slow with 8 connections. So my guess was that, like with every other p2p-network you only need more partners to get blocks faster. Ok, then the border is somewhere else...

whenever i have a significant amt of blocks I need to catch up on, i just connect to one fast node..   then there's no risk of slow peers, taking the 'network' out of the equation

How do you connect to just one node (and know it's fast)? I have to download the entire blockchain, and its going to take days at the current rate.
Fcx35x10

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 06:04:10 AM

I just set up mines on a vm. Took about 2 hours to dowoad. Supporting ฿ all the way!
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 12:24:52 AM

If it doesn't increase it numbers of connections try:

bitcoin-qt.exe -maxconnections=x , while x is the number of connections you would like to have at max.

This option only limits your connections to your "x" value.

Is there a reason to limit the number of connections?  If so what is a good number to limit it to?
Sam

Wave

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 05:21:52 AM

Been going a few weeks now, and it seems I average around 60 connections.  How do I improve that?

-Wave
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Java, PHP, HTML/CSS Programmer for Hire!

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 05:50:17 AM

Been going a few weeks now, and it seems I average around 60 connections.  How do I improve that?

I think the only way for you to improve right now is to manually add more peers to your bitcoin.conf file, 60 is the average number if your ports and firewall are configured correctly

Want to earn 2500 SATOSHIS per hour? Come Chat and Chill in https://goseemybits.com/lobby
owenmichaels

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 05:31:00 PM

I got it, up to 10 connections now and slowly climbing.

The short of it...

Install bitcoinqt client and sync with block chain
Be sure the computer running the bitcoin client gets a static IP address assigned by your router
Forward port TCP port 8333 from internet to the IP you assigned in the step above
Done ;-)

-Wave

Why does it have to be TCP port 8333?
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 05:43:31 PM

I got it, up to 10 connections now and slowly climbing.

The short of it...

Install bitcoinqt client and sync with block chain
Be sure the computer running the bitcoin client gets a static IP address assigned by your router
Forward port TCP port 8333 from internet to the IP you assigned in the step above
Done ;-)

-Wave

Why does it have to be TCP port 8333?

Why not?  It has to be something.  I guess that is what the programmers decided on when they started the Bitcoin Client development.

01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 06:05:21 PM

It's the default port. You can change it in the config file.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 11:37:39 PM

Os2Sam,

-Wave

Oh, OK.  Obvious enough Smiley.

Well you've helped me move forward a little more.  Hadn't really thought much about setting up port forwarding to my Bitcoin node in a while, now with your, and others, here input I've gotten it done.
Thanks,
Sam

I haven't paid much attention to my "Full Bitcoin Node" in a while.  But today I took a look at my bandwidth usage.  My uplink bandwidth is peaking around 1.4Mb and I'm relaying 7 to 15 transactions a day now.  I was a little surprised by my bandwidth usage though.

Was curious as to what others mileage was now?
Such as:

How many connections?
How many transactions relayed a day?
Upstream bandwidth usage?

Sam

Wave

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 01:19:34 PM

Have not looked at bandwidth.  So, I have my own URL and was thinking or setting up a port forward for a URL so my IP address is not an issue.  Thoughts?  Anyone done this?
Cranky4u

Activity: 808

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 04:21:03 AM

Thinking about setting up a full node...mainly interested if you get paid those small transaction limit BTCs that are sometimes asked for in transactions...if not, were do those micro-BTC units get sent to when your over the limit?

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 04:46:59 AM

Thinking about setting up a full node...mainly interested if you get paid those small transaction limit BTCs that are sometimes asked for in transactions...if not, were do those micro-BTC units get sent to when your over the limit?

Only miners get paid for full nodes, and those small change are added to the transaction fee.

Want to earn 2500 SATOSHIS per hour? Come Chat and Chill in https://goseemybits.com/lobby
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 01:25:10 PM

Can you guys help me do this on a Mac? I too would like to help improve the network.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 06:55:11 PM

Can you guys help me do this on a Mac? I too would like to help improve the network.

Just download bitcoin-qt

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.