Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:31:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Bitmessage - P2P Messaging system based partially on Bitcoin  (Read 89814 times)
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
March 14, 2013, 06:05:35 PM

I doubt that because I can use your public key from the blockchain to encrypt messages against your will.

But then you can see whether or not I could successfully decrypt it and in some cases you can also see the plaintext (like if Bitmessage is being used on a server for some sort of communication). This additional information could be utilized. Cryptographers will tell you that it is bad practice to use the same key for encryption and signing. And if there are people on the forum telling everyone else that it is unsafe to share keys between Bitcoin and Bitmessage then no one is going to do it (not that I would want them to).
I agree things are simpler and cleaner, thus potentially safer with separate keys. But it might be highly beneficial to be able to send encrypted messages directly to a BTC address, so this concept deserves some thought.

[...]
Actually I suppose that a bitcoin private key could be used to sign a message saying that they assert that new_pub_key_1 is to be used for signing and new_pub_key_2 is to be used for encryption. That would work. Then users could use their Bitcoin addresses in Bitmessage. This would require that users import their wallet keys into Bitmessage (or vise-versa).
[...]
Sounds like a plan  Grin
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 1208

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 08:22:51 AM

- Added API. See API Reference.
- Added error handling for the case where the client tries to send a message from an address for which the human has deleted the keys.
- Improved GUI messages when doing work (or pending work) for broadcast messages.
- Added error handling for the case where the proof of work takes practically no time.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 22, 2013, 11:12:57 AM
Last edit: March 22, 2013, 11:26:05 AM by stevegee58

When I start the new version 0.2.7 it displays this error pop-up:

If I click OK the GUI appears and eventually connects to the network and appears to work normally.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
Atheros (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2013, 02:28:11 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2013, 05:41:04 PM by Atheros

That's a known issue that happens when you rename the EXE. It will happen with this version and possibly versions going forward unless I can find a work-around or unless pyinstaller fixes this rather common problem.

http://www.pyinstaller.org/ticket/522

EDIT: I was able to find a workaround. The currently published EXE should function like normal.

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
March 24, 2013, 02:51:07 AM

I doubt that because I can use your public key from the blockchain to encrypt messages against your will.

But then you can see whether or not I could successfully decrypt it and in some cases you can also see the plaintext (like if Bitmessage is being used on a server for some sort of communication). This additional information could be utilized. Cryptographers will tell you that it is bad practice to use the same key for encryption and signing. And if there are people on the forum telling everyone else that it is unsafe to share keys between Bitcoin and Bitmessage then no one is going to do it (not that I would want them to).
I agree things are simpler and cleaner, thus potentially safer with separate keys. But it might be highly beneficial to be able to send encrypted messages directly to a BTC address, so this concept deserves some thought.
For example, to tell someone why you're donating to their signature without bloating the blockchain.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 25, 2013, 03:24:55 AM

Peer address issue...

Code:
Trying an outgoing connection to 10.10.10.1 : 8444
[...]
Could NOT connect to 10.10.10.1 during outgoing attempt. timed out

The code should not be distributing and connecting to peer addresses for internal / site-specific / unrouted addresses.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Atheros (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2013, 03:32:49 AM

The code should not be distributing and connecting to peer addresses for internal / site-specific / unrouted addresses.

You're right; it shouldn't. I will patch it appropriately tomorrow.

Thank you

Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 1208

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 07:15:23 AM

Two feature request (if they are possible):

- Can you divide the address book and messages? So that we can have: addressbook.dat and messages.dat

- Right now if I receive a message, it disappears from the network.
I mean that I'm not able to receive it from another client.
Is it possible to set a time expiration before deleting it from the network?
Something as it is now with the mail settings, where you can set to leave message on the server for X days.

So I can also have two different installation of Bitmessage (ex: in two different computer)
With installation A, I'll set to receive and maintain messages on the network for 10 days.
With the installation B, I'll set to receive the messages and delete them from the network.
If I'll open the installation B before the first one, then I won't be able to receive again messages on the installation A.

I know that messages that are older than X weeks will be deleted anyway from the network, I'm not asking to change this rule.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Atheros (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 11:23:19 PM

Yes, it would be possible to separate the address book from the messages.dat file. I'll add it to the list of requests although there are other priorities.

There is currently no way to command the deletion of content from the network; all content simply expires. Adding such a feature would be a drastic change. You should already be receiving messages on both clients if they share the same keys. As long as they each go online once every two days, they'll both receive all messages. If one stays online all the time and another goes online only once every four days then that second client will only receive half of the messages (from the last two days).

stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 01:18:40 AM

Wow is it my imagination or are there suddenly more messages going over the network?

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
Atheros (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 02:42:49 AM

Website visits spiked up by more than an order of magnitude due to some online articles.. and a also single comment on a Slashdot article about FBI spying. I had to take my BM address off of the homepage because I was getting a message about every 2 minutes.. mostly in Russian.

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 04:29:09 AM

Website visits spiked up by more than an order of magnitude due to some online articles.. and a also single comment on a Slashdot article about FBI spying. I had to take my BM address off of the homepage because I was getting a message about every 2 minutes.. mostly in Russian.

Better get multiple streams working.  And maybe a test network...

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
mindtomatter

Activity: 434
Merit: 254

Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 05:57:36 PM

Hi Atheros,
There's some interest in doing a feature on BitMessage for inclusion in the first episode of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

Are you available for a brief Skype interview to answer a few questions?  This wouldn't be until early next week.

Let's Talk Bitcoin! Interviews, News & Analysis released Tuesdays and Saturdays
http://www.LetsTalkBitcoin.com - Listener Mail -> adam@letstalkbitcoin.com
idev

Activity: 859
Merit: 1004

BTC OG and designer of the BitcoinMarket.com logo

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 10:46:28 PM

What's the problem here  Huh
Code:
openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8k 25 Mar 2009

Code:
(On Linux) Couldn't find and load the OpenSSL library. You must install it. If you believe that you already have it installed, this exception information might be of use:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bitmessagemain.py", line 37, in <module>
    from addresses import *
  File "/root/PyBitmessage/src/addresses.py", line 3, in <module>
    from pyelliptic import arithmetic
  File "/root/PyBitmessage/src/pyelliptic/__init__.py", line 16, in <module>
    from .openssl import OpenSSL
  File "/root/PyBitmessage/src/pyelliptic/openssl.py", line 429, in <module>
    OpenSSL = _OpenSSL(find_library('ssl'))
  File "/root/PyBitmessage/src/pyelliptic/openssl.py", line 292, in __init__
    self.PKCS5_PBKDF2_HMAC = self._lib.PKCS5_PBKDF2_HMAC
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/ctypes/__init__.py", line 366, in __getattr__
    func = self.__getitem__(name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/ctypes/__init__.py", line 371, in __getitem__
    func = self._FuncPtr((name_or_ordinal, self))
AttributeError: /lib/i686/cmov/libssl.so.0.9.8: undefined symbol: PKCS5_PBKDF2_HMAC
Atheros (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 10:52:43 PM

Elliptic Curve cryptography is not included in OpenSSL compilations for Fedora, Debian, Tails, and likely others because of patent concerns.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=319901

It appears to me that that is what you are facing.

idev

Activity: 859
Merit: 1004

BTC OG and designer of the BitcoinMarket.com logo

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:10:57 PM

Elliptic Curve cryptography is not included in OpenSSL compilations for Fedora, Debian, Tails, and likely others because of patent concerns.

Thanks. I'm now trying this on another box and it's builds but won't seem to connect
Code:
bitmessagemain.py: cannot connect to X server
Atheros (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2013, 11:14:44 PM

Thanks. I'm now trying this on another box and it's builds but won't seem to connect
Code:

Bitmessage doesn't use servers except, I suppose, DNS servers in order to help it bootstrap. Perhaps it is referring to the OS's GUI?

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:34:05 AM

Code:

Bitmessage doesn't use servers except, I suppose, DNS servers in order to help it bootstrap. Perhaps it is referring to the OS's GUI?

No, it is trying to connect to the X server .. i.e. it can't open a display.

Mogumodz

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:03:43 PM

Great idea, giving it a go with a few friends.

Bitcoin OTC rating GPG ID: 3E7974A1 P2Pool statistics: p2pool.info
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 07:30:36 AM

Love it

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: