Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:18:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Bitmessage - P2P Messaging system based partially on Bitcoin  (Read 89812 times)
Wins_Vega

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 09:11:39 PM

Oh, seems that issue of bitmessage not starting the window was due to the working directory path.
C:\\Documents\\Username\AppData\pyBitmessage

My username contained russian letters.
I have changed that to latin and now it works!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 12:10:32 AM

Oh, seems that issue of bitmessage not starting the window was due to the working directory path.
C:\\Documents\\Username\AppData\pyBitmessage

My username contained russian letters.
I have changed that to latin and now it works!

We were working on something like this before. IIRC, the problem might be in the SQL library.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 08:34:51 AM

It would be nice to be able to increase the font size... it's tiny.

There is no passphrase to enter, I wonder if that is safe. I guess it means that all data is sitting on my disk unencrypted (or at least keys are sitting there unencrypted).
domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1161

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2014, 01:31:42 PM

It would be nice to be able to increase the font size... it's tiny.

There is no passphrase to enter, I wonder if that is safe. I guess it means that all data is sitting on my disk unencrypted (or at least keys are sitting there unencrypted).

Yes, they are (see keys.dat in the config folder).  There's been some talk from time to time about implementing a master password and I think it will happen at some time, but so far the keys are stored in the clear.

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 06:02:45 PM

You are able to encrypt the files separately, using a Truecrypt container or similar mountable encrypted filesystem.
phelix
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:35:40 PM

You are able to encrypt the files separately, using a Truecrypt container or similar mountable encrypted filesystem.
Yup.... but things should be easier.

BTW: A "reply to channel" feature would be nice.
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:22:07 PM

Yup.... but things should be easier.
I'm not disputing that. It's a temporary workaround.

BTW: A "reply to channel" feature would be nice.
There was a pull request for something like that, but it never went anywhere.
illdeletethis

Activity: 59

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 10:49:23 PM

it is an useful feature to have the html displayed formatted, allows things like image sending, which might be a necessary feature for this to spread
but unfortunately as soon as you unselect the message you were looking at the display changes to unformatted and needs to be changed for seeing it formatted again, which is a barrier to general users

so is there a way to have it format html by default that is acessible to people not compiling their own clients?
ideally at some point this would be accessible through a checkbox in the settings, but for the time being is there a config to edit or something like that?

also, what would be nice for a future release is a image to base64 converter built into the client, that could vastly broaden the userbase for bitmessage
Atheros (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2014, 11:13:13 PM

it is an useful feature to have the html displayed formatted, allows things like image sending, which might be a necessary feature for this to spread
but unfortunately as soon as you unselect the message you were looking at the display changes to unformatted and needs to be changed for seeing it formatted again, which is a barrier to general users

so is there a way to have it format html by default that is acessible to people not compiling their own clients?
ideally at some point this would be accessible through a checkbox in the settings, but for the time being is there a config to edit or something like that?

also, what would be nice for a future release is a image to base64 converter built into the client, that could vastly broaden the userbase for bitmessage

HTML content is purposely not displayed by default unless the user is white-listed, is in your address book, or you are subscribed to them.

It would be better for us to support attachments before we bother building in a base64 encoding mechanism. It would be more data-efficient also.

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
illdeletethis

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 03:22:27 AM

HTML content is purposely not displayed by default unless the user is white-listed, is in your address book, or you are subscribed to them.

It would be better for us to support attachments before we bother building in a base64 encoding mechanism. It would be more data-efficient also.
attachments sound like a good solution, thank you
is there any time frame for that?
Atheros (OP)

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 05:56:06 PM

There is not.  Sad

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
illdeletethis

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 04:32:31 PM

There is not.  Sad
https://bitmessage.org/forum/index.php?topic=3327.0
is that the solution or will it be something different?
rmines

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 06:04:33 PM

I've just discovered Bitmessage recently and I am quite enthusiastic about it.
How come almost nobody is using it? Is the learning curve to steep?

♔ PrimeDice : The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
Spare some change? 1LkqfvQTLAEiiCwTqkPRcvUdEmkCR11QDE
Bungeebones

Activity: 178

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 06:27:54 PM

Is it possible to monitor the BitMessage blockchain for responses to an address and then parse the incoming message?

I have done similar in Bitcoin using Bitcoinmonitor.net, which uses an http callback but I understand the same can be done without using BitcoinMonitor.net.

In Bitmessage I see the function getAllInboxMessages. Would that do what I am wanting?

Thanks
btctraderr

Activity: 120

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:28:39 AM

How secure is Bitmessage? I like the idea of a decentralized messaging network in the wake of Lavabit. How come this isnt attracting more development?
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:49:25 AM

How secure is Bitmessage?
If you want to fund an audit, we'll find out.

How come this isnt attracting more development?
There have been a number of concerns over scalability and security which have only been partially addressed. I can't speak too much about them because I've been rather distant from the project for a while, but AFAIK the scaling is still an unsolved issue, practically in the brainstorming stage. There are also a number of unfortunate misconceptions which have been propagated around the interwebs. Whenever Aetheros pops up with a well-reasoned response, he gets crickets. These include:

- But proof of work isn't a viable spam solution!
Email has no spam solution either, and yet it's done well for two decades. Spam in email is handled clientside, and this does not change with Bitmessage. Thunderbird (and other client) integration makes this simple. Proof-of-work is merely used to prevent flooding of the network.

- But wasn't it de-anonymized?!
No, some guy harvested addresses (which are public, because the existence of a particular address leaks no information), then sent out some spam. Users then copied and pasted an unclickable (by GUI design) link to an unknown website from an unknown sender into an unsecured web-browser, and were surprised when their IP address was then correlated with their intentionally disposable Bitmessage address which had no associated metadata. This still baffles me.

- But what about that one post on the Bitmessage forums with criticism?
Yes, we read the post. And then we discussed it. If you believe it contained an as-yet-unaddressed critical flaw, please let me know.
Cyberdyne

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:28:57 AM

How secure is Bitmessage? I like the idea of a decentralized messaging network in the wake of Lavabit. How come this isnt attracting more development?

I was initially very excited about bitmessage and started using it a lot.

I stopped using it when I realized how impractical it is that messages expire so quickly (after a couple of days). Unfortunately that meant I'd basically have to 'call ahead' via some other medium, to remind my recipient to open their bitmessage client.
phelix
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 07:21:42 AM

heartbleed? using openSSL...
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 01:55:06 PM

I stopped using it when I realized how impractical it is that messages expire so quickly (after a couple of days). Unfortunately that meant I'd basically have to 'call ahead' via some other medium, to remind my recipient to open their bitmessage client.
The only reasonable use case for Bitmessage is that is it runs as a daemon in the background and you use some other means for receiving messages instead of their GUI, such as using a regular email client.
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 09:37:08 AM

A Chrome addon? The article Javascript Cryptography Considered Harmful is still on my mind.

A web-based Bitmessage client should never exist. Just like that article talks about, there is no way to securely deliver the code. If HTTPS is secure and trustworthy then Bitmessage need-not exist. I argue that it isn't.

..I had to quote this, for all that happened lately with heartbleed.. :-)

Finally I read through this whole thread.

- where is my (linux) userstuff? I'd expect something like ~/.bitmessage, but can't find anything. The program folder is 6mb, which can't contain the "blockchain".

- I believe it would help adoption *a lot* to have plugins for the common chatclients. Like kopete, for example. No matter if it's the whole bitmessage implementation, with huge size, as long as it visually fully integrates into the common clients. What do you people think?

Also, I am BM-2cWuHRsRAwfbCdzKKEKRf1nc2BwzPgRLN2

Ente
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: