Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:21:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any way to make IBM Bladecenter H 2880W fans quieter?  (Read 3898 times)
methodlimp (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 05:26:01 PM

Hi all,

I just hooked up three different IBM Bladecenter H 2880W PSU's to my brand new S7's, and boy the fans on these PSU's are incredibly loud! These PSU's have a high pitched sorta whistle sound, almost kinda like the whistle you hear on a turbo. These PSU's have a pitch more noticeable than the actual miners in the room.

My question is, is there any way to make these fans quieter at all? Or a replacement for the stock fans that are quieter? Otherwise, do I have any other options? I ideally wanted to run platinum PSU's to these miners, so if there is no solution, is there a recommended replacement that you guys suggest?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 06:17:14 PM

Hi all,

I just hooked up three different IBM Bladecenter H 2880W PSU's to my brand new S7's, and boy the fans on these PSU's are incredibly loud! These PSU's have a high pitched sorta whistle sound, almost kinda like the whistle you hear on a turbo. These PSU's have a pitch more noticeable than the actual miners in the room.

My question is, is there any way to make these fans quieter at all? Or a replacement for the stock fans that are quieter? Otherwise, do I have any other options? I ideally wanted to run platinum PSU's to these miners, so if there is no solution, is there a recommended replacement that you guys suggest?

Server PSU's are not known for being quiet.  I doubt you are able to make it what you consider "quiet".   If going for less noise I traditionally would send someone twords ATX vs server psu.   I don't know that I have seen much as far as making them quiet.  If someone can think of one please post, I could not find quickly.

I think they are just loud PSU's at end of day. They are great for their price and amount of power, not for quietness.

But the problem with this is the 10 PCIE cables the S7 want's.   That get's most ATX psu's where they are not to good for the job.
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 06:21:23 PM

Ear plugs. Or mod the PSU by adding 2 powerful 120mm fans to the top of it.

I stopped using my 3 PSUs, just too damn loud. I had them in a detached garage and they were still too loud, could hear them in the house and down the road 100 feet away easily.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3844

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 06:39:00 PM

Hi all,

Server PSU's are not known for being quiet.  I doubt you are able to make it what you consider "quiet".   If going for less noise I traditionally would send someone twords ATX vs server psu.   I don't know that I have seen much as far as making them quiet.  If someone can think of one please post, I could not find quickly.

I think they are just loud PSU's at end of day. They are great for their price and amount of power, not for quietness.

But the problem with this is the 10 PCIE cables the S7 want's.   That get's most ATX psu's where they are not to good for the job.

I think that EVGA 1300 with two extra PCIe extenders is OK for S7 batches 2, 4 and 6.
For batch 1 could be OK, depending on your optimal mhz setting and without overclocking
For batch 3, 5, 7 (and especially 7), EVGA is probably insufficient.
Batch 3,5 were close to borderline w/o overclocking, but probably insufficient if overclocking to 625.
batch 7 jumped to 1345w at the wall on EVGA 1300 from the getgo without any oveclock, so 1600 is probably needed, but they are expensive.
Batch 6 is OK even when overclocked to 650-4.3Th at 1160W at the wall.
batch 8-also probably needs Bitmain's PSU or EVGA 1600 (or 2880W IBM for two, of course).
methodlimp (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 06:41:29 PM

Hi all,

Server PSU's are not known for being quiet.  I doubt you are able to make it what you consider "quiet".   If going for less noise I traditionally would send someone twords ATX vs server psu.   I don't know that I have seen much as far as making them quiet.  If someone can think of one please post, I could not find quickly.

But the problem with this is the 10 PCIE cables the S7 want's.   That get's most ATX psu's where they are not to good for the job.

Do you know of any ATX PSU's that are gold or platinum rated, that have slots for the 10 PCIe cables? Or a quieter sever grade PSU (I hear of people using Dell PSU's and other PSU's that run about 2000w max).

Or maybe Jabberwack knows of a quieter sever PSU with one of his breakout boards?
hawkfish007

Activity: 895
Merit: 504

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 06:45:29 PM

Hi all,

Do you know of any ATX PSU's that are gold or platinum rated, that have slots for the 10 PCIe cables? Or a quieter sever grade PSU (I hear of people using Dell PSU's and other PSU's that run about 2000w max).

Or maybe Jabberwack knows of a quieter sever PSU with one of his breakout boards?

EVGA 1600 has 9 PCIe ports, you can easily add a splitter to power S7 controller. They come in Gold, Platinum and Titanium, they are whisper quiet but expensive.

For quality risers, splitters or 133 CFM fans, please visit my eBay listings,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/hawkfish007/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
J4bberwock

Activity: 840

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 06:49:00 PM

Hi all,

The 2880w PSU can be modded with holes in the top cover to fit 120mm fans. I believe MarkAZ did something like that.
I have the reference and the pinout for the original fan plugs somewhere from when I did the mod for someone locally.

The DPS2000BB can be much quieter (you can choose the fans you use since you need to add external fans). Mounting the fans with my single and dual DPS2000BB sideplates for the 4K breakout board is a little bit easier than without.

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
Btc: 1J4bberWs6f6XVQ53gn3BNc8qHAicmm7wu
Ltc: LNDmMBtzD3cduwjfxANm2wDrxt9jXRk5ZP
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 06:51:15 PM

Hi all,

EVGA 1600 has 9 PCIe ports, you can easily add a splitter to power S7 controller. They come in Gold, Platinum and Titanium, they are whisper quiet but expensive.

actually, EVGA 1600 has 10 cords (one is longer) with 14 connectors already there.
see here (scroll to the bottom of the page):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438033
hawkfish007

Activity: 895
Merit: 504

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 07:00:02 PM

Hi all,

actually, EVGA 1600 has 10 cords (one is longer) with 14 connectors already there.
see here (scroll to the bottom of the page):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438033

You are right, forgot about the dual PCIe connectors. Also Titanium ones are as good as or better than the server PSUs efficiency wise.

For quality risers, splitters or 133 CFM fans, please visit my eBay listings,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/hawkfish007/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 07:31:16 PM

I have the 1600w Titanium. It's seriously an incredible PSU, I measured 96% efficiency at 50% load and 94.5% at 100% load. The fan doesn't even spin until somewhere around 1000w load. I no longer need it if anyone wants to get their hands on it for a great price vs retail.
methodlimp (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 07:41:02 PM

Cheese and Rice, the EVGA 1600 is over $300! That's insanely expensive, considering one of my IBM Units power two S7's, and including the awesome Jabberwock breakout board and 20 PCIe cables per PSU, I bought them for about $260 before shipping and C20 cable, each.

Jabber, tell me more about how this fan mod works, and how to go about doing it.

Also, you said that the 2000W HP unit is quieter. If I use one of those, I'd likely have to use 1 per S7, so how much would one of those set me back overall?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 07:44:15 PM

Cheese and Rice, the EVGA 1600 is over $300! That's insanely expensive, considering one of my IBM Units power two S7's, and including the awesome Jabberwock breakout board and 20 PCIe cables per PSU, I bought them for about $260 before shipping and C20 cable, each.

Jabber, tell me more about how this fan mod works, and how to go about doing it.

Also, you said that the 2000W HP unit is quieter. If I use one of those, I'd likely have to use 1 per S7, so how much would one of those set me back overall?

It might be cheese and rice.  But the noise HUGE difference between the two.  If you want 10 PCIe cables it comes at a very high premium at ATX PSU's.  It just is how it is.  Think about it how many regular computers do you know using 10 PCIe?  That is reason so few ATX even exist for it.

So you can stick with your current PSU's which is not a bad option.  But you will have loud PSU's that is just how it is.
Prelude
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 07:45:25 PM

Yep, used server PSUs beat ATX PSUs in every way. The 2000W is an IBM, not HP. DPS-2000BB made by Delta, to be precise. 1 PSU powers only 1 S7, but combining 2 PSUs into a 4000W unit lets you power 3 S7s.
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 08:18:31 PM

evga 1600w is your best bet.  10 year warranty too.  quality cables, quality power cable.  all kinds of voltage protection.  Its not silent - but there is a reason I refuse to get server psu's for my garage....the high pitch noise is too much.  Sure If you have multiple s7 then getting atx will be expensive, but if you run one, invest in a 1600w, you can re-use it for literally anything after and its good quality.
methodlimp (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 08:45:59 PM

evga 1600w is your best bet.  10 year warranty too.  quality cables, quality power cable.  all kinds of voltage protection.  Its not silent - but there is a reason I refuse to get server psu's for my garage....the high pitch noise is too much.  Sure If you have multiple s7 then getting atx will be expensive, but if you run one, invest in a 1600w, you can re-use it for literally anything after and its good quality.

Yeah that would be too spendy for me. I have 3 S7's currently, and another 3 coming in (batch Cool likely by Friday. Hence, 6 EVGA PSU's blow my budget out of the water.

I've seen the Delta 2000W PSU without the breakout board for $30 on ebay (and the breakout board is $45 I believe), so since I already have all of the PCIe cables I need, all I'd need is more C19/C20 cords, and some fans. I don't know how expensive fans are, but My guess is that I can probably get everything I need for around $100 each PSU.

OR, I can add those additional fans to the top like Jabber suggested. Jabber, when you have a moment, could you please send me those schematics and how they work? Thanks!
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 7764

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2015, 08:55:19 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2015, 09:08:56 PM by philipma1957

okay I have a titanium evga 1600
and I am soon to have the 4000 watt setup from finksy/j4bberwock
plus the 2880 watt setup
plus the 1500 watt adjustable meanwell psu
plus the seasonic 1200 watt psu

MY goal is to do a huge thread on all 3 plus the seasonic 1200watt platinum

and lastly the meanwell 1500 watt 9.6 to 13 volt psu.

having 240 volt in house  I am pretty certain the winner will be the 4000 watt setup

here is the evga 1600 tit running a batch 2 . this  s-7 is very nice I am getting really good numbers

here is a pair of avalon 6's  the blue lined one is using the meanwell 1500 watt set at 12.2 volts it drops to 12.1
the unlined one is using a seasonic 1200 watt plat with custom 16 gauge cables  it drops to 11.9 watts
the avalon with the seasonic seems to hash higher but it is first in the chain to the rasp pi

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 10:41:58 PM

Hi all,

Server PSU's are not known for being quiet.  I doubt you are able to make it what you consider "quiet".   If going for less noise I traditionally would send someone twords ATX vs server psu.   I don't know that I have seen much as far as making them quiet.  If someone can think of one please post, I could not find quickly.

But the problem with this is the 10 PCIE cables the S7 want's.   That get's most ATX psu's where they are not to good for the job.

I think that EVGA 1300 with two extra PCIe extenders is OK for S7 batches 2, 4 and 6.
For batch 1 could be OK, depending on your optimal mhz setting and without overclocking
Batch 3,5 were close to borderline w/o overclocking, but probably insufficient if overclocking to 625.
batch 7 jumped to 1345w at the wall on EVGA 1300 from the getgo without any oveclock, so 1600 is probably needed, but they are expensive.
batch 8-also probably needs Bitmain's PSU or EVGA 1600 (or 2880W IBM for two, of course).

EVGA G2 1300w at 1345w at the wall is just fine, that is only 1224W and they can feed 100% of their rated load 24/7 for their whole MSRP and they are garanteed 10 years, so...

Anyways TLDR; that is 94% load, no problem for a EVGA G2.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
methodlimp (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 11:18:14 PM

Would the 1300 run my batch 7 miners tho? I've read the actual usage can sometimes spike up to 1400w on batch 7
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 12:37:13 AM

Would the 1300 run my batch 7 miners tho? I've read the actual usage can sometimes spike up to 1400w on batch 7

1400 watts at the wall *0.9 (efficiency) = 1260 watts fed to the miner. You won't have any headroom for overclocking further but its "ok". I run my EVGA G2 1000 at 1000-1050w at the wall because i wish to be a tiny bit conservative, but if you already have the 1300, i'd go with that. Personally i like to keep my At the wall at up to what the thing is rated, for maximizing the lifetime of the PSU.

The downside is at close to 100% load you're not at 92% efficiency anymore. If you dont have a 1300 yet, you could look into something higher.

If you have more concerns about running the miner at 95% load, check the Johnyguru reviews.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Biodom
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 01:55:36 AM

Hi all,

EVGA G2 1300w at 1345w at the wall is just fine, that is only 1224W and they can feed 100% of their rated load 24/7 for their whole MSRP and they are garanteed 10 years, so...

Anyways TLDR; that is 94% load, no problem for a EVGA G2.

Phil was saying on some other thread that he was running EVGA 1300 at 1320W at the wall and it was OK short term, but became weird (probably unstable or "spiky') after 1-2 month of constant load.
I would like (if possible) to set up PSU and keep it going for the duration.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: