Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:18:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL ASIC worth the risk for pre-order?  (Read 5016 times)
meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 12:46:27 PM

Some disclosure from Avalon to consider.  Some facts rather than 'real soon now.'

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=120184.msg1381739#msg1381739

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wdBTCtrader

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 01:25:36 PM

Also, the world is going global no matter how much we fight against it.

I highly doubt the world will ever be global.

I don't care who you are, that's just funny. 
wdBTCtrader

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 01:39:20 PM

back to the topic.  As you can see from my signature I am one of the faithful and believe BFL will deliver.  The main reason being is ASICs (Application Specific Integrated Circuits) are not some mystery piece of tech that has just emerged over the last couple of months to satisfy Bitcoin miners.  ASICs have been around for some time. When you hear of something being "implemented in hardware" they are most likely referring to an ASIC.  There are even ASICs used for cryptography that perform  sha256 already in existence.  What BFL is offering an enhancement to existing tech that is focused on Bitcoin mining. 

So yes it is worth it and they will deliver.
Bitware

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 01:59:22 PM

Also, the world is going global no matter how much we fight against it.

I highly doubt the world will ever be global.

I don't care who you are, that's just funny. 

Yea its funny. I should have worded that better, but I will leave it for posterity.
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 06:06:58 PM

back to the topic.  As you can see from my signature I am one of the faithful and believe BFL will deliver.  The main reason being is ASICs (Application Specific Integrated Circuits) are not some mystery piece of tech that has just emerged over the last couple of months to satisfy Bitcoin miners.  ASICs have been around for some time. When you hear of something being "implemented in hardware" they are most likely referring to an ASIC.  There are even ASICs used for cryptography that perform  sha256 already in existence.  What BFL is offering an enhancement to existing tech that is focused on Bitcoin mining. 

They'll most likely deliver, the question is WHEN and how high will difficulty be by that time?

jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 07:36:26 PM

They'll most likely deliver, the question is WHEN and how high will difficulty be by that time?

This is the key "high will difficulty be by that time?"'

since some of us preordered at the beginning, diff will not be that high when we receive our hardware.

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
creativex

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 07:49:12 PM

How do you know that? How do you know BFL's "scheduled shipments" will actually ship? They haven't shipped any ASICs on schedule yet, they just give it some lip service and another fuzzy schedule. Thus far their ASIC launch has followed their history with FPGA products. If that trend continues this could get ugly for BFL customers, particularly for those that paid early with BTC.

jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 08:17:47 PM

How do you know that? How do you know BFL's "scheduled shipments" will actually ship? They haven't shipped any ASICs on schedule yet, they just give it some lip service and another fuzzy schedule. Thus far their ASIC launch has followed their history with FPGA products. If that trend continues this could get ugly for BFL customers, particularly for those that paid early with BTC.

I hope they do follow the way of the fpga release...  it would mean singles (SC) will ship before the rigs. more of an advantage...  and a delay is good to. 

Do you think difficulty will rise given the current landscape.?

The longer they delay, and still be first to ship asic, the better it will be for the early pre-orders.

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
mem

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 01:39:23 AM

Gosh gee whizz, a newbie thats barely been on the forums trusts BFL and knows what ASIC stand for.
Obviously if you know what the acronym stands for you know all the specific details of R&D -> Production and all the potential pitfalls along the way.

So, trust this guy - seems legit.

creativex

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 05:26:02 AM

I hope they do follow the way of the fpga release...  it would mean singles (SC) will ship before the rigs. more of an advantage...  and a delay is good to. 

Do you think difficulty will rise given the current landscape.?

The longer they delay, and still be first to ship asic, the better it will be for the early pre-orders.

That's the whole ball of wax right there isn't it? Both Avalon and bASIC are now saying they'll ship in mid - late January and BFL will ship...umm...whenever the energy is right. I give BFL a very low chance of beating Avalon to shipping at this point, they've been jerking their customers around for months already.

wdBTCtrader

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 05:28:31 AM
Last edit: December 07, 2012, 05:51:46 AM by wdBTCtrader

back to the topic.  As you can see from my signature I am one of the faithful and believe BFL will deliver.  The main reason being is ASICs (Application Specific Integrated Circuits) are not some mystery piece of tech that has just emerged over the last couple of months to satisfy Bitcoin miners.  ASICs have been around for some time. When you hear of something being "implemented in hardware" they are most likely referring to an ASIC.  There are even ASICs used for cryptography that perform  sha256 already in existence.  What BFL is offering an enhancement to existing tech that is focused on Bitcoin mining.  

Gosh gee whizz, a newbie thats barely been on the forums trusts BFL and knows what ASIC stand for.
Obviously if you know what the acronym stands for you know all the specific details of R&D -> Production and all the potential pitfalls along the way.

You make this assumption because of a legitimate reason or are you just generally a douche?  

Was anything I wrote incorrect?
mem

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 07:42:50 AM

back to the topic.  As you can see from my signature I am one of the faithful and believe BFL will deliver.  The main reason being is ASICs (Application Specific Integrated Circuits) are not some mystery piece of tech that has just emerged over the last couple of months to satisfy Bitcoin miners.  ASICs have been around for some time. When you hear of something being "implemented in hardware" they are most likely referring to an ASIC.  There are even ASICs used for cryptography that perform  sha256 already in existence.  What BFL is offering an enhancement to existing tech that is focused on Bitcoin mining.  

You make this assumption because of a legitimate reason or are you just generally a douche?  

douche bag  seems legit  ^

Did you have any content to add besides the definition of ASIC and your 2c of "hey Im a newbie and you should trust me !!!".

wdBTCtrader

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 08:18:34 AM

Did you have any content to add besides the definition of ASIC and your 2c of "hey Im a newbie and you should trust me !!!".

what exactly are you contending?  ASICS have not existed or there have never been cryptographic asics that can perform sha-256?  

Here is something I found by using this thing called a search engine you can try it yourself just type http://www.google.com in that white box at top of your browser.  

http://rf.harris.com/media/SierraII_tcm26-9224.pdf
http://www.heliontech.com/core.htm

And now that I've taught you how to use the internet.  go ahead and try the search yourself.  you'll see numerous academic papers and even a contest hosted by NSIT, (thats stands for the National Institute of Standards and Technology) to implement SHA-3 in hardware.  by that I mean they were challenged to implement the newest standard of SHA using an ASIC.

Here is some homework for you little buddy.  When did the contest end, and was the there a winner?

why don't you do some research before you come play with the big boys, okay.  

creativex

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 09:17:47 AM

Not necessary. NIST is the goobermint agency charged with explaining the physics behind the collapse of WTC 1, 2, & 7 on 9/11/2001. A high school physics teacher then dismantled their theory in seconds. It was a truly pathetic display.

bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 09:18:03 AM

what exactly are you contending?  ASICS have not existed or there have never been cryptographic asics that can perform sha-256?  

Here is something I found by using this thing called a search engine you can try it yourself just type http://www.google.com in that white box at top of your browser.  

http://rf.harris.com/media/SierraII_tcm26-9224.pdf
http://www.heliontech.com/core.htm

And now that I've taught you how to use the internet.  go ahead and try the search yourself.  you'll see numerous academic papers and even a contest hosted by NSIT, (thats stands for the National Institute of Standards and Technology) to implement SHA-3 in hardware.  by that I mean they were challenged to implement the newest standard of SHA using an ASIC.

Here is some homework for you little buddy.  When did the contest end, and was the there a winner?

why don't you do some research before you come play with the big boys, okay.  

He's saying that we all know ASICs exist already, it's been discussed hundreds of times on the forums, but that it doesn't mean anything to us. Until product meets consumer, it's all just a "let's hope for the best" scenario.

As creativex said, yes, they will probably be able to put out an ASIC, but who puts out what, when, with what specs, we don't know, as everything is in flux. And that is a (the?) critical component of this whole deal.
wdBTCtrader

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 09:26:24 AM

so what the hell are we arguing about?  I said that ASICs "are worth it and BFL will deliver" and that ASICs are nothing new.  It was either one of those statement that has douchebag up in arms.  He still hasn't' stated what exactly was his problem.  other than he has a problem with me being new to the forums. 
wdBTCtrader

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 09:31:58 AM

He's saying that we all know ASICs exist already, it's been discussed hundreds of times on the forums, but that it doesn't mean anything to us. Until product meets consumer, it's all just a "let's hope for the best" scenario.

To be exact this is what he is saying.  

What I'm not allowed to answer OP without being berated?
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 09:38:38 AM

To be exact this is what he is saying.  What I'm not allowed to answer OP without being berated?

I can only interpret his words to keep communication clear, I can't speak to his motivations.

To return to topic, I would still say that it is worth it if you can get in anywhere in the first 30million difficulty, and you enjoy caretaking magical boxes. After that, you're at much risk.
wdBTCtrader

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 10:34:20 AM

I'm an idiot for stating that it's been done before, and it can be done again?  So  which would you rather rely on?  The very first rocket attempt,  or the a rocket that has been developed after many successful trials and has been proved not only in theory, but in practice?  

I never brought up the engineers at BFL because I don't know.  I won't speak to what I'm not privy to. My answer focused on the ASIC.    

You must be the representative of the morons the as well as the douchebags.  

Douchebags would generally have issue with the factual basis of your quoted statement about BFL delivering, given that they haven't, and have knowingly lied about the status of their production for months.

btw:  my statement used the word "will" meaning in the future.   as in, "So yes it is worth it and they WILL deliver. "
wdBTCtrader

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 12:59:07 PM

Are you still high school?  catch the bus before you're late..

You bore me tell them to send someone else. 
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: