Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:20:43 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 25BTC reward but.. no drop in hash rate!  (Read 5711 times)
bitCooper (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 03:57:20 AM

So the bitcoin block reward just dropped from 50btc to 25btc. I thought the hash rate would drop pretty quickly as many mining rigs became instantly unprofitable. But it looks like the hash rate is actually *increasing* and is sitting at around 28 thash / sec.

Is there a lag because a lot of people don't realize we've hit halving day? Or maybe a lot of miners don't pay for their electricity and it's all about sunk costs?
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 04:17:25 AM

ASIC testing?
A bunch of people who used to mine but stopped noticed the publicity surrounding the halving decided to start up again?
The NSA is trying to mount at 51% attack?
prezbo

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 08:45:16 AM

Apart from the rules of bitcoin there is absolutely nothing predictable about it.
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2012, 08:51:49 AM

ASIC testing?
A bunch of people who used to mine but stopped noticed the publicity surrounding the halving decided to start up again?
The NSA is trying to mount at 51% attack?
If a 51% attack were underway, it would not be contributing to the network hashrate.  The attacker would be extending the blockchain faster than the entire legitimate network in secret and attack by revealing a longer chain.

I suspect the current jump is simply variance.  Some miners will move to alt coins and some GPU miners with expensive electricity will power their rigs off for good.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
Endgame

Activity: 412

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 12:05:19 PM

Looks to me like simple time lag. People turned on some extra hashing power to finish off the last few 50 btc blocks and haven't got around to turning them off yet.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2012, 12:18:29 PM

Many miners are probably waiting to see what happens to price. Last fall it also took a long time for miners to drop out, but many eventually did. If there's any chance that the price does go up then miners want to keep mining so as to be able to sell more at the higher price. When hope fades of a higher price, and miners decide they can no longer invest, then they will start shutting down. It takes time as miners don't all decide this at once.

Combine this with the expectation that soon they'll be shutting down GPUs due to ASICs and I think many will keep mining until that finally kicks them in the nuts.

bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 12:49:25 PM

Forum users are a small small minority of the hashing network it often seems, surprising as that may be.

I expect a delay of a week to a month for results to become truly apparent, as people either notice their bitcoin wallets slimming/their pool rewards not being what they once were or they get their next power bill and realize "hey this shit isn't paying itself off so well anymore".

I also expect that the "big boys" (> 100GHash/sec) had to be supremely efficient in the first place to even get that large, and are still making significant enough bucks after the halving that it is worth it to keep going (people with 4GHash/sec might think making just $1-$2 / day is annoying, but multiply that by 25+ and you're still a happy camper).

I was hoping to see some decrease instead of a huge increase in hashing power though, for a graceful decline in hashing power, rather than a big drop that might incite panic.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 02:44:38 PM

I havn't seen a huge number of people here in the forums that have closed up GPU mining just yet. Most people seem to be sticking it out, and seeing where it is going. For me, it still learns a (slight) profit, so why not? When the ASICs hit is the other side of the coin, and I'm assuming a lot of GPU miners will shut down them. Of course, the network won't notice them leaving, but that's besides the point.  Wink

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 03:00:49 PM

I was expecting to come back today to see a shitstorm in difficulty and price! Good job guys, you average out to much better speculators than I am. I'm amazed how smoothly this went.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 03:13:55 PM

If you don't have cheap or free electricity, you might as well stop mining now, you can't compete with those people with cheap/free electricity.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
monstrs

Activity: 555
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 05:31:35 PM

It appears that many has free or cheep electricity. For me, its two 5870's on free electricity and one 7970 downclocked to draw 200W totaly with hole rig at home. At home i ~ 0, because i have to pay for electricity anyway. This is just slightly higher than without 24/7 PC running on 200W.
mrich8

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 07:43:57 PM

I'm still running my GPUs because they provide heat during the winter. Otherwise I would have to run electric heat. I figure I'm breaking even when considering the cost of electric heat vs. the cost of miners - value of coins mined. Come next spring I am shutting everything down and selling most of the equipment for a final cash out. Maybe some ASICs will actually exist in real people's hands by then.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 08:07:37 PM

Apart from the rules of bitcoin there is absolutely nothing predictable about it.
That has been my observation also.  Wink

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
yochdog
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 08:20:35 PM

Forum users are a small small minority of the hashing network it often seems, surprising as that may be.

I expect a delay of a week to a month for results to become truly apparent, as people either notice their bitcoin wallets slimming/their pool rewards not being what they once were or they get their next power bill and realize "hey this shit isn't paying itself off so well anymore".

I also expect that the "big boys" (> 100GHash/sec) had to be supremely efficient in the first place to even get that large, and are still making significant enough bucks after the halving that it is worth it to keep going (people with 4GHash/sec might think making just $1-$2 / day is annoying, but multiply that by 25+ and you're still a happy camper).

I was hoping to see some decrease instead of a huge increase in hashing power though, for a graceful decline in hashing power, rather than a big drop that might incite panic.

I can verify this from first hand knowledge. 

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!
luffy

Activity: 607

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 07:31:11 AM

FPGAs have no reason to stop as free electricity also:)
but i wonder where the big LTC hashrate increase came from if not from BTC people?  Huh
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 10:06:09 AM

Whats up with the fluxuation of the network hashrate??? From 23TH-31TH & back,what a swing !!!!

Can we expect swings like this or even more at higher network hashrates??

I've seen it vary by 2TH or so,but WOW  Shocked

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Nite69

Activity: 477

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 10:23:22 AM

FPGAs have no reason to stop as free electricity also:)
but i wonder where the big LTC hashrate increase came from if not from BTC people?  Huh

Big in LTC is minor in BTC, ie if 1% of BTC miners go to LTC it might be for example 10% (using Stetson–Harrison method) or more increase in LTC hashrate.

Sync: ShiSKnx4W6zrp69YEFQyWk5TkpnfKLA8wx
Bitcoin: 17gNvfoD2FDqTfESUxNEmTukGbGVAiJhXp
Litecoin: LhbDew4s9wbV8xeNkrdFcLK5u78APSGLrR
AuroraCoin: AXVoGgYtSVkPv96JLL7CiwcyVvPxXHXRK9
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 02:00:14 PM

It will drop, most miners aren't the best business man, so the hashrate drop will be delayed till the bills come in.

Part of it is mining for principles and some is speculation that the price will shoot up. There are plenty of people mining at a loss right now but most will only realize it when they actually have to pay for their power which isn't for another month or so.
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 04:19:11 PM

It will drop, most miners aren't the best business man, so the hashrate drop will be delayed till the bills come in.

Part of it is mining for principles and some is speculation that the price will shoot up. There are plenty of people mining at a loss right now but most will only realize it when they actually have to pay for their power which isn't for another month or so.

You hit the nail on the head.

Fact: Many Americans are bad at math (look at the popularity of the Lottery!)
Fact: Many Americans live paycheck-to-paycheck. This shows an inability to budget, live below one's means, insufficient attention to financial detail, etc.
Fact: Many Americans have to LEARN how to be frugal from websites, etc. It isn't something in their bones, or something they grew up with.
Fact: America has much cheaper electricity than, say, Europe -- so a good % of miners are going to be in America right now
Fact: Americans don't read books. Should I assume that they studiously read over their electric bill and understand it?
http://stephenslighthouse.com/2011/04/28/who-reads-books/
Fact: Young Americans are notorious for NOT being frugal. In fact, they are known for wasting their money on all manner of things ($18 for a cotton T-shirt with something specific printed on it?)

Yes, I could see young Americans running their Bitcoin miners just because they can afford it, and they "like" Bitcoin.  If they were losing money, many of them wouldn't even know it!

In fact, because men (let's face it -- the majority of miners) run on ego, I'd also expect them to brag online about how much they're making right now after the block halving. Who's going to verify it anyhow? They could be losing $5 a day and they could still fire up their browser and type in, "I am profitable all the way down to $5/Bitcoin!". Who would be the wiser?
monstrs

Activity: 555
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 04:27:16 PM

Some drop already observed ~24TH now, interesting, how low will it drop?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: