Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:13:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $1500 budget, im torn in choices on miners  (Read 1840 times)
posternat

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 09:20:52 AM

I would go with the S7 over the S5. Price is good at the moment for a batch 8 and if the difficulty keeps on the way it is, even if we hold $440 an S5 on 5c electricity will barely be making money after the Halving.

Rich

The S7 is better than S5 for the short term, or before the 16 nm chip based miners come out. After that, the block halving will make it obsolete.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 09:48:39 AM

I would go with the S7 over the S5. Price is good at the moment for a batch 8 and if the difficulty keeps on the way it is, even if we hold $440 an S5 on 5c electricity will barely be making money after the Halving.

Rich

The S7 is better than S5 for the short term, or before the 16 nm chip based miners come out. After that, the block halving will make it obsolete.

Having is going to hurt on most of us.  Those with super cheap electricity will make it though it and have a TON of used gear to buy for pretty cheap I'm guessing.   Only thing is look at chips like Bitfury if we can get sub .10 cent chips one day that is a game changer it becomes profitable.

Not bitfury might not sell to little customers.  But I think eventually someone with a decent next get chip will com in for small consumers.  I'm not sure who to guess on it though, to much secrecy to really know.
Exoskeleton

Activity: 338
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 10:26:36 PM

Rich

I would agree that new miners will have better resell value.  Which can be important.   Most miners like me I think mine with it till it is not as profitable, then sell to someone with lower or free electricity  Most miners have multiple owners I think in their life.

Only other thing is with free if you get a deal on old it can be better.  Depends on pay per T/GH if you do get a good deal and can ROI quick old can be good for "free"

I think that there will be some incredible deals on S5s soon. Around or just under $200. Give it a few months and I think your best option might be used gear if things keep blowing up and miners keep selling their gear.
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 10:38:54 PM

I think that there will be some incredible deals on S5s soon. Around or just under $200. Give it a few months and I think your best option might be used gear if things keep blowing up and miners keep selling their gear.

Yes but what's the point of an incredible deal on a piece of equipment that only makes money if you have 1 cent electricity?

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
mwizard

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 12:26:25 AM

Yes but what's the point of an incredible deal on a piece of equipment that only makes money if you have 1 cent electricity?

Rich

By Monday even a free S5 will only be worth turning on if your electricity cost is under 10.5 cents kWh.

A free S7 is only worth turning on if electricity is under 18 cents per kWh.

So even if the miner is already paid for there is little point keeping an S5 if it cannot cover the electrical cost.  So expect to see cheap S5s.

(Note - based on 1 Terrahash generating 5.44 cents USD per hour.)
ThunderThomas

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

fastdice.com The Worlds Fastest Bitcoin Dice

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2016, 12:32:34 AM

Rich

By Monday even a free S5 will only be worth turning on if your electricity cost is under 10.5 cents kWh.

A free S7 is only worth turning on if electricity is under 18 cents per kWh.

So even if the miner is already paid for there is little point keeping an S5 if it cannot cover the electrical cost.  So expect to see cheap S5s.

(Note - based on 1 Terrahash generating 5.44 cents USD per hour.)

On paper you are right. The prices of those miners should go down.
But make sure to check out the market place please will sell their miners for prices which will never give you ROi.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: