Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:04:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $1500 budget, im torn in choices on miners  (Read 1840 times)
Sixt5 (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 08:18:39 PM

ive been scorned by spondoolies and i have 10 antminers (1 s5 and 9 s3) now. with my budget im either stuck at getting two s4's (not having to buy a psu) for roughly 1300 for 4th or spend 1700 on an s7. going the s5 route, your spending roughly 400 on the miner plus another 80ish on a server psu and that lands you at 3.4ish th

my situation is a little different, i do truly have free electric i just dont want to abuse it. i had a sp30 running and sold it my bill is used to the <3000 watts running.

with an s4, i could potentially use the leftover to buy more btc as well.

if you have other ideas, im wide open.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 09:23:30 PM

Hmm an interesting one. I would look to the future when you will need to want to make the most Hash for your available power and go for an S7 or an Avalon6 dependant on your preference.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 02:06:38 AM

ive been scorned by spondoolies and i have 10 antminers (1 s5 and 9 s3) now. with my budget im either stuck at getting two s4's (not having to buy a psu) for roughly 1300 for 4th or spend 1700 on an s7. going the s5 route, your spending roughly 400 on the miner plus another 80ish on a server psu and that lands you at 3.4ish th

my situation is a little different, i do truly have free electric i just dont want to abuse it. i had a sp30 running and sold it my bill is used to the <3000 watts running.

Being in a similar situation as you, i set a smallish # of AMP(@120v sadly) i'm willing to put toward mining and after having maxed it with small miners, i'm left having to offline some miners to online  new one, so in this case i would save up for a S7.

If you have plenty of room on your electric grid, i would go for S5's at 300$ish + shipping, i prefer them over S4 for modding down the noise and better efficiency, also easy to overclock stable. (You can change the fans for the S4 but its annoying to "extract" and then open up, then merge the long wires with the new fans.)

The S5's are also a good middle ground between efficiency and hashrate density.

At the moment i'm torn between S5, S5+ single "cube" and S7. It will depend on the deals i can get.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 03:34:19 AM

Being in a similar situation as you, i set a smallish # of AMP(@120v sadly) i'm willing to put toward mining and after having maxed it with small miners, i'm left having to offline some miners to online  new one, so in this case i would save up for a S7.

If you have plenty of room on your electric grid, i would go for S5's at 300$ish + shipping, i prefer them over S4 for modding down the noise and better efficiency, also easy to overclock stable. (You can change the fans for the S4 but its annoying to "extract" and then open up, then merge the long wires with the new fans.)

The S5's are also a good middle ground between efficiency and hashrate density.

At the moment i'm torn between S5, S5+ single "cube" and S7. It will depend on the deals i can get.

I am lucky my miner area has 100 amp which has always worked for me.  I have an additional 200 amp for house where I can put some if I ever run that much.  But so far 100 amp has always been enough for me.

I can say the S5+ was one the greatest least talked about miners.  I love mine and would not trade it. But with one batch limited it is less sellers so not as much competition on price.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 07:25:59 AM

the choice is easy , with free electricity the efficient does not matter anymore, instead what it matter is the initial investment, to speed up the roi

also i would avoid buying too many miners, like you had in the past(9 s3) they waste plenty of space, the s5+ instead seems out of your budget
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1709

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 07:31:05 AM

Do you live in an apartment? if so then noise will be an issue and you can forget the S4/S5/S7.

Either more S2/S3 or get an Avalon 4.1/6

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 09:36:21 AM

I'd wait a couple months or so, see what BW.com prices the B-Eleven at, and what Innosilicon does with their A3.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
HarryKPeters

Activity: 896

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 11:44:42 AM

Waiting could be the solution here. The price is increasing and so is the hash. Difficulty is sky rocketing, so to need the most power efficietn miner. Both SP/Bitmain miners won't be the most efficient miners in a few months time. So you could only benefit a few months of their efficiency.

Also the next batch S7 is shipped after christmas, so you will get in in january at the soonest.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 09:41:49 PM

I'd wait a couple months or so, see what BW.com prices the B-Eleven at, and what Innosilicon does with their A3.

There is not really enough for us to know in a couple of months it will be out.  And even if it is who knows date public sales start.

They sold a TON of cloud hashing which we can assume will be first to get machines.  I expect others to come after that.  And we also have not seen chips, or prototype so timeline really is hard to say.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:11:03 AM

the choice is easy , with free electricity the efficient does not matter anymore, instead what it matter is the initial investment, to speed up the roi

Not always true, it depends a lot on HOW MUCH free electricity you have available.

15 PH of cloud hashing, at 3 TH per machine, works out to 5000 machines - yeah, that might take a little while to fill. If they do it as the 10TH mentioned option, it's only 1500 machines - probably can fill that in a month or less if they get enough chips out of the foundry.

Mostly I'm waiting to see what the A3 ends up looking like in a machine, at this point.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
posternat

Activity: 798

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:25:41 AM

If your electricity price is high, you can buy some S7. If it is lower, then buy some S5. S7 is more efficient than S5, but it is more expensive.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 08:42:17 AM

Not always true, it depends a lot on HOW MUCH free electricity you have available.

15 PH of cloud hashing, at 3 TH per machine, works out to 5000 machines - yeah, that might take a little while to fill. If they do it as the 10TH mentioned option, it's only 1500 machines - probably can fill that in a month or less if they get enough chips out of the foundry.

Mostly I'm waiting to see what the A3 ends up looking like in a machine, at this point.

well he clearly said lower than 3k watt, so he can have a lower income with more wattage needed because he want those inefficent machine, but he would save a very good amount of money on the investment

anyway we are talking about a tiny profit here, so it does not mater much
Atomicat
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 09:56:45 AM

well he clearly said lower than 3k watt, so he can have a lower income with more wattage needed because he want those inefficent machine, but he would save a very good amount of money on the investment

The benefit if having free electricity is not tiny. It amounts to a huge chunk of your mining payouts.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 10:06:12 PM

The benefit if having free electricity is not tiny. It amounts to a huge chunk of your mining payouts.

It depends on the amount.   I would argue 100 amp of cheap electricity beats out a few thousand watts of free electricity.

Most free electricity is very limited.  So you really will not be mining a ton of unit's with free.
Atomicat
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 07:35:16 AM

It depends on the amount.   I would argue 100 amp of cheap electricity beats out a few thousand watts of free electricity.

Most free electricity is very limited.  So you really will not be mining a ton of unit's with free.
I agree with you but having free electricity increases the ROI time frame by a considerable amount.
RichBC

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 07:53:05 AM

I agree with you but having free electricity increases the ROI time frame by a considerable amount.

Yes having some free electricity would be very nice. Not just the ROI, but just knowing that whatever equipment you are running old or new, it will be making some money without the need to do the maths.  Smiley

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 02:27:45 PM

you may be better off with s5.  Just consider resale value too - what will an s5 be worth after halving ?  s7 ?   
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 04:38:41 PM

you may be better off with s5.  Just consider resale value too - what will an s5 be worth after halving ?  s7 ?   

No one knows this it will depend on difficulty and BTC price.  If btc goes up... value of miners go up.

We will know it's worth more then a S3.   And less than a S7.  But as far as exact amount we wont know that.
RichBC

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 05:20:06 PM

I would go with the S7 over the S5. Price is good at the moment for a batch 8 and if the difficulty keeps on the way it is, even if we hold $440 an S5 on 5c electricity will barely be making money after the Halving.

Rich

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 01:17:43 AM

I would go with the S7 over the S5. Price is good at the moment for a batch 8 and if the difficulty keeps on the way it is, even if we hold $440 an S5 on 5c electricity will barely be making money after the Halving.

Rich

I would agree that new miners will have better resell value.  Which can be important.   Most miners like me I think mine with it till it is not as profitable, then sell to someone with lower or free electricity  Most miners have multiple owners I think in their life.

Only other thing is with free if you get a deal on old it can be better.  Depends on pay per T/GH if you do get a good deal and can ROI quick old can be good for "free"
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: