Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:32:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Hands On] KeepKey Hardware Wallet - Notlist3d  (Read 7467 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 09:22:12 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2015, 02:35:26 AM by notlist3d

KeepKey - Hardware Wallet

0) General information
1) Unpacking
2) The KeepKey
3) Install
4) Using the KeepKey Wallet
5) Conclusion
6) How to purchase

0) General Information + Hardware Needed to buy
As said by the Manufacturer: KeepKey is a USB device that stores and secures your bitcoins. When you entrust KeepKey with your money, each and every bitcoin transaction you make must be reviewed and approved via it's OLED display and confirmation button. It now becomes nearly impossible for virtual attackers like malware or viruses to steal your valuable bitcoins.

Specs:
Materials- Anodized Aluminum Case, Polycarbonate Front
Technical- USB HID, micro USB connector, ARM® Cortex™-M3, TRNG (Hardware Random Number Generator), 256×64 3.12″ OLED
Dimensions- Height: 38.0 mm, Width: 93.5 mm, Depth: 12.2 mm
What’s in the Box- KeepKey, Woven Nylon USB Cable, Recovery Sentence Backup Card, Genuine Leather Backup Card Sleeve, Quick Start Guide

In my opinion I would say it takes some of the features many of you are use to with Trezors, and made a better hardware platform.  It is a much larger screen, which is very nice on viewing compared to a small screen.  Also the feel of device it feels more substantial then most with aluminum backing.

Video to show general info:

1) Unpacking
Your KeepKey the most important thing is it's easy to make sure it has not been tampered with.  It really has two layers to do this.  First there is a plastic wrap all the way around it.  It's easy to see it has not been opened.  The second layer is more secure it's 2 separate special stickers so if it's been cut to be opened you will know it.

2) The KeepKey
Below are images to showcase the KeepKey Wallet.

3) Install
Install is very simple it uses chrome to do the install within.   There are three main parts:

1) In Chrome, install the KeepKey Wallet extension from the Google Web Store. This extension is a lightweight bitcoin wallet that let’s you send and receive bitcoins using your KeepKey. After installation, an icon is added to Chrome’s toolbar- Link
2) Next, install KeepKey Proxy Chrome app. This app provides device communication for Chrome so that you can use KeepKey in-browser. You will need this app in order to use the KeepKey Wallet Extension. - Link
3) Initialize KeepKey it is very easy and a step by step video is below:

As you can see install is a pretty easy task with the three steps above.  The one thing I want to stress is on part 3 make sure to keep your words stored safely.  They are used for recovery if needed, the keepkey comes with a nice little slip to keep them in safely offline.  The good news is you only do this once after it's all set and ready to be used!  

4) Using the KeepKey Wallet
You now have a very secure hardware wallet, that you can send and store bitcoins safely with. (And a few other coins aswell).  It is very simple to use after set up. To show this here is a video showing sending bitcoin:

5) Conclusion
So far the usage of the KeepKey has been very good.  It's easy to install and secure, which is important for storing bitcoin.   This wallet also feel's substantial when you use the KeepKey it does not feel cheap or flimsy.   It has a high quality build.    And what might stand out the most is the screen.  It has a very nice screen with the 256×64 3.12″ OLED.  You can tell the size of it the first time you use it.  If you are in the market for a hardware wallet this is for sure one to check out.

5) How to purchase
You have two main options and that is to order direct or to order from amazon.
1) Direct - https://www.keepkey.com/checkout-keepkey/
2) Amazon - https://www.keepkey.com/checkout-keepkey/

Please don't bash others.  This thread is meant for info on the KeepKey.  If your topic is just bashing hardware wallets in general it will be deleted.  That is a topic for another thread.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 09:22:26 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2015, 04:27:49 AM by notlist3d

1) One thing that above did not come out above that some wanted mentioned is that Trezor code is what it's based off of from the Trezor.  So some R/D costs, research, etc Trezor foot the bill on and KeepKey benefited on it.  KeepKey does have some differences but it was based off Trezor.
2) Is this "Is this sponsored content?" no I have no deal where I make money off sales.  Links are direct to keepkey and amazon.  I provide info but get 0 dollars if one or tons are sold.

Reserved
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 01:00:34 AM

Is this sponsored content? What did I just read?

In my opinion I would say it takes some of the features many of you are use to with Trezors, and made a better hardware platform.  It is a much larger screen, which is very nice on viewing compared to a small screen.  Also the feel of device it feels more substantial then most with aluminum backing.

Do you have one?

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 01:12:55 AM

great review! great hardware wallet but very expensive. I prefer ledger wallet.

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4485

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 02:15:32 AM

problem
chrome extension
hacker makes a extension that looks the same but says "error on device, please type in backup seed to restore device"

... and then your coins are gone..

trezor/keepkey still havnt solved this very easy exploit

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 02:23:47 AM

Is this sponsored content? What did I just read?

In my opinion I would say it takes some of the features many of you are use to with Trezors, and made a better hardware platform.  It is a much larger screen, which is very nice on viewing compared to a small screen.  Also the feel of device it feels more substantial then most with aluminum backing.

Do you have one?

That is my opinion.  Yes I do have a KeepKey I still am early as far as testing.  I like the bigger screen specifically and the feel of the body.  You really need to pick one up to feel that it really does feel substantial with the aluminum case.

It is not for all I realize it's a premium price point on a hardware wallet.  But this is my opinions.  I realize some will like trezor for price point.  With hardware wallets I realize one does not fit all.  There are a few different ones as there are different needs and prices points some want to hit.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 02:24:54 AM

problem
chrome extension
hacker makes a extension that looks the same but says "error on device, please type in backup seed to restore device"

Good infos!

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 02:28:37 AM

problem
chrome extension

Good infos!

It also works with MultiBit HD with just downloading it.  I have tested it and was able to successfully use the KeepKey.  So you can do things that are not using the chrome extension.

Seems like MultiBit HD using it would fix that for Trezor and KeepKey but I could be wrong.

There are patches it looks like to get it to work with electrum. But I have not dove deep in it yet.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2015, 02:35:02 AM

Major drawback is KeepKey cannot be used with Mycelium on Android like Trezor. Yes, it looks pretty but for $40 less I can buy two Trezors and have a spare.

notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 02:37:57 AM
Last edit: December 11, 2015, 03:08:37 AM by notlist3d

This is a open forum feel free to compare/contrast hardware wallets.  And what features each one has. Even the prices of hardware wallets. These are very valid opinions and good information in general.

If post just is something like "Hardware wallets suck" it chances are will be removed.  But I have no problem with comparisons with other wallets its pretty much meant to be a open forum about hardware wallets.  But if your against hardware wallets in general this is not the place as it just is clutter.

And if you have used other hardware wallets specifically your input is appreciated.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 04:50:47 AM

Two things not mentioned in the review:

- it has PIN protection so just getting one's hands on one of these isn't enough to steal the BTC stored on one. (This was in one of the videos, but who watches those, right?)
- The price is, according to keepkey.com, 239 USD.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 05:06:49 AM

It looks very nice and I'm sure it very simple to set up once you get your hands on it... But what I rely don't understand is why it's priced so high? Better yet, why do they feel the need to secure the packaging so well, if you know you are going to inevitably take it out of the box sooner or later to use it? Huh

notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 05:14:57 AM

Two things not mentioned in the review:

- it has PIN protection so just getting one's hands on one of these isn't enough to steal the BTC stored on one. (This was in one of the videos, but who watches those, right?)
- The price is, according to keepkey.com, 239 USD.

Yes it has pin protection. Also it does show the numbers as random spots so even if someone logged what boxes you clicked it would do them no good as far as location. 

The price is not cheap that is a vaild argument.  I would say it's a premium hardware wallet with my time with it so far.  With the large screen, and aluminum case it is not designed to be the cheapest option.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 05:18:21 AM

It looks very nice and I'm sure it very simple to set up once you get your hands on it... But what I rely don't understand is why it's priced so high? Better yet, why do they feel the need to secure the packaging so well, if you know you are going to inevitably take it out of the box sooner or later to use it? Huh

I am not part of company so I cant say what determined price.  Look at post above to see why I call it a premium hardware wallet.   

The packaging is so you know it came straight from factory to you without tampering.  To get in it you need to open the plastic wrapper, which I agree is not super secure.  But the 2 security stickers are pretty good as you have to cut both to open box.  So it shows it was opened.  So they did make it a priority to show customer it was not opened by anyone before receiving it.
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 05:26:24 AM

I am not part of company so I cant say what determined price.  Look at post above to see why I call it a premium hardware wallet.  

The packaging is so you know it came straight from factory to you without tampering.  To get in it you need to open the plastic wrapper, which I agree is not super secure.  But the 2 security stickers are pretty good as you have to cut both to open box.  So it shows it was opened.  So they did make it a priority to show customer it was not opened by anyone before receiving it.

That's true, I never really thought of it like that. Maybe as more people list out the pros and cons of keep key and other hardware wallets, you can put up a table in your reserved spot that lists out each hard ware wallet, their price, and features that come along with it. Great over view of this though, I might have to start thinking about getting one in the future if I feel there is a need.

notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 05:30:10 AM

I am not part of company so I cant say what determined price.  Look at post above to see why I call it a premium hardware wallet.  

The packaging is so you know it came straight from factory to you without tampering.  To get in it you need to open the plastic wrapper, which I agree is not super secure.  But the 2 security stickers are pretty good as you have to cut both to open box.  So it shows it was opened.  So they did make it a priority to show customer it was not opened by anyone before receiving it.

That's true, I never really thought of it like that. Maybe as more people list out the pros and cons of keep key and other hardware wallets, you can put up a table in your reserved spot that lists out each hard ware wallet, their price, and features that come along with it. Great over view of this though, I might have to start thinking about getting one in the future if I feel there is a need.

That is the fear is somehow someone tampered with it before you got it.  As that could possibly defeat all security defenses depending on what they do.  The KeepKey does try to warn you if it has a custom firmware on it:

"You can make modifications to our firmware or create your own, then run it on the KeepKey. As a security precaution, firmware uploaded to the KeepKey that we do not distribute will show a warning message during boot to explain that it running unofficial firmware."

Still with a hardware wallet there is a little piece of mind knowing it came from factory and had seals in tact.
jdacal

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 12:04:40 AM

I have one and am very happy with it, using it with MultibitHD.  Had no luck setting it up with Electrum on Windows 10.  The instructions to install Electrum you pretty much have to have experience with another operating system and I guess the step-by-step instructions I found were not step-by-step since it didn't work for me. Smiley

Setup with MultibitHD was straightforward.  The wallet detected it immediately and asked if I wanted to setup the hardware wallet.

Customer service at KeepKey seems to be very responsive as well.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 12:09:45 AM

Others pictures from the video.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1274038.0
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 12:37:53 AM

Am I the only one who thinks the hardware wallets are extremely overpriced for what they offer? Sure they offer the easiest secure solutions for the moment, but paying around 200 USD for a device that probably costs 10 usd to manufacture is just insane..

Once the wallets become closer to 50 usd, I can see a great market for them.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 12:47:44 AM

Am I the only one who thinks the hardware wallets are extremely overpriced for what they offer? Sure they offer the easiest secure solutions for the moment, but paying around 200 USD for a device that probably costs 10 usd to manufacture is just insane..

Once the wallets become closer to 50 usd, I can see a great market for them.

Well, you do not have to go the luxury route and buy the KeepKey. The Trezor offers more functionality and costs $99. If you are really on a budget you can get a Ledger HW.1 for $20 UPS shipping included.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: