Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:44:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Google supercomputer a threat?  (Read 4529 times)
keepdoing

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 03:47:37 PM

I dont like Google, way how it collect data about users and power it have so yes, i am bit worried about all that. Also, AI bit scares me and i just hope they will control it and not AI will control them (along with all of us) at end.
Seriously though, I mean everyone in the tech field has warned against AI. No clue to why this is still being worked on so much, there is no need for it, just use a person instead of wasting millions of dollars into R&D on this.
There is this old thing where people ask, if you could have dinner with any 2 people from history, who would they be etc...

Well, right now, I would choose this Craig/Satoshi guy, and Elon Musk.  And I would ask them WHY?

Elon Musk:
He's a smart guy, goes and buys a stake in Google's Deepmind, then says he did so to "keep an eye" on AI, and strongly issues a loud warning about AI.  THEN he doubles down on developing a power system capable of potential, eventual self-replication - thereby guaranteeing an energy source for for an AI robotics force.  On top of that he focuses on this space initiative of communications - which would guarantee that AI communications could not be touched by us lowly earthbound humans - thereby protecting it's future "communications/neural network" on global scale.

Craig/Satoshi: Guy is not only running a Supercomputer, and obviously proficient at high level code, including perhaps revolutionary ideas about the use of machine code - plus he actually teaches Supercomputer Programming.  He is obviously intelligent, and from everything I can find he is a basically a good person, with high moral goals, and clearly a degree of common wisdom not always found in "pure geek" mentalities.

So I would sit with these guys and ask them WHY are you proceeding?

Here is what I honest to G-d hope they would respond with.....

"Well, this stuff is coming anyway.  Can't stop it.  And it is clear that not everyone involved is operating wisely, or showing proper constraint.  We feel that by being at the forefront, we can also position ourselves inside as the future "warriors" that will be in a best position to fight / reign in this AI Beast once it gets loose.  What we do know is that by all definitions, once that happens, it will technically be a new Lifeform, albeit one never before seen, and nothing we are prepared for if things head south.  And it will be perhaps not only our equal, but possibly even the superior of the human species.  History teaches us that the theory of Evolution normally results in a situation of conflict between species that are of similar equality and competing in a limited ecosystem.   And so by being involved, we put ourselves in a position to be the most authoritative experts on what could then become an enemy of humanity.  What we do know is that technological biology does share in common some aspects of human biology.  It can be killed (or powered down) in a physical manner.  But assuming that a Technological AI Beast ends up controlling more firepower than humans - we need to perhaps be looking at more simple methods of attack / defence.  Both human biology and techno biology share the ability to be impacted by viruses.  We can't quite see what the eventual techno-biology may evolve into, or what the "body" of this AI Beast may morph into, or what built in "anti-bodies' it may have - but quietly we are learning and categorizing the features of this new lifeform.  Just in case we have to fight it, wrestle it down and put a chain on it, or even kill it.  We're also building in "kill switches" and/or links to which we might be able to have backdoor access in an emergency. As they say, keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

Anyway, that is what I would HOPE that they might say, and also any others that might say that were closely involved.   But after all of that, what I would REALLY want to hear out of them is.....

"But we are scared, and very very aware of the multitude of ways in which we could be outmaneuvered, blocked, killed, tricked etc.  Because we are in unchartered waters, and we ow it and are dong this humbly and with eyes wide open, and if we feel that the risks rise to a certain level, we will be responsible to LOUDLY and AGGRESSIVELY issue warning."

If that IS the answer in the hearts and minds out there.... I want to thank you in advance for preparing for a coming war that most humans don't even realize is possible.  Because it is coming.  As sure as the rain falls, it is coming.  Prepare for it.

Peace,
- david
aka The Mountains Voice
fastdice_alchemist

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2015, 03:55:41 PM

Well, yes.  It should concern you.  But not so much in the context of bitcoins.  Seriously?  You are concerned how it might impact your bitcoins?

They are building a global neural computer network for g-d's sake.  Trying to breathe life into an AI that once awake will instantaneously access and control everything. 

Should it concern you.  Sheeesh.  How stupid are you people?

Or... are how stupid are you for not understanding the meaning behind this article and Bitcoin? (no offense just a joke).

It's about the speed to bruteforce private keys.
TheSecretOfShadow (OP)

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 03:58:51 PM

Even if Google doesn't use it for mining, I put this subject as a reflection. The giant can eat the small one, this is what I'm saying, another big company could build a computer like this and try do mining, I don't know, pure especulation...But WHAT IF it was true? May should we be worried about it don't you think?
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 1373

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 04:04:00 PM

One of their major goals will be to see if they can break Bitcoin... just to see if they can.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2015, 04:13:50 PM

Even if Google doesn't use it for mining, I put this subject as a reflection. The giant can eat the small one, this is what I'm saying, another big company could build a computer like this and try do mining, I don't know, pure especulation...But WHAT IF it was true? May should we be worried about it don't you think?
How about you read the actual content of the thread before asking such questions? Being a million times faster than a regular computer is still weak in terms of hashrate. By the time that they have this product ready the hashrate of the network will go long past 1 Exahash.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
keepdoing

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 04:35:57 PM

Here is an excerpt from Craig/Satoshi from his recent conference, and I think it is highly applicable to this topic:

VIDEO REFERENCE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIZWVu6XsO4

<<< Excerpt Timestamp ~18:13 >>>
"And that's where the banks are going wrong.  At the end of the day, there isn't a bank out there in the world that has the computing power to stop me, personally, now.  If they were to run a Ripple network, or their own private blockchain.  Then I've got an ... um... 3 point whatever petaflop computer sitting and gringing away and ... um ... and if an individual ... well, a small group ... can basically set up something.... umm ... then others can.  Governments can.  And if the government really wanted to compete with me and chunk more money into supercomputing research, they would build something way bigger that could attack any system.   And if we think about competing currencies, and banks, then in time, if we are going to rely on private blockchains, we are going to find we have a system that is less secure, not more."
vilain

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 04:39:28 PM

Nah don't worry, this is old news and the dwave seems far too out there still.

Just remember this old infograph

Uow, I've never seen this piece. So, is it certainly impossible that a new, disruptive processing technology is invented? I mean, that could process without the limitations we currently know?
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2015, 04:43:50 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2015, 04:56:14 PM by Lauda

Uow, I've never seen this piece. So, is it certainly impossible that a new, disruptive processing technology is invented? I mean, that could process without the limitations we currently know?
To simplify, what a quantum computer does is it has a superstate which makes it quite faster. SHA 256bit for a normal computer is the same as SHA128 for a quantum computer IIRC. Theoretically even with huge gains in the computational field, we could upgrade to SHA 512 and would not have any problems in the foreseeable future (if SHA itself doesn't get broken). People worry about this subject more than they should.

Update:
You remind me of Mike Hearn.  A flippant arrogance that implies an inability to see things in broader perspective, to consider consequence, or implication, or alternative.  You represent the very worst fears of those that look at your involvement in these matters.
Welcome to the ignore list useless shill.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
keepdoing

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 04:51:29 PM

To simplify, what a quantum computer does is it has a superstate which makes it quite faster. SHA 256bit for a normal computer is the same as SHA128 for a quantum computer IIRC. Theoretically even with huge gains in the computational field, we could upgrade to SHA 512 and would not have any problems in the foreseeable future (if SHA itself doesn't get broken). People worry about this subject more than they should.
You remind me of Mike Hearn.  A flippant arrogance that implies an inability to see things in broader perspective, to consider consequence, or implication, or alternative.  You represent the very worst fears of those that look at your involvement in these matters.
TheSecretOfShadow (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 04:56:00 PM

How about you read the actual content of the thread before asking such questions? Being a million times faster than a regular computer is still weak in terms of hashrate. By the time that they have this product ready the hashrate of the network will go long past 1 Exahash.
I'm just entering this new field of knowledge (Bitcoin), so I'm learning, didn't stop to read many things about this subject yet, but I'll learn more eventually, I was a bit concerned in fact, however as I see the answers here, it seems not the end of the world for me  Smiley
(sorry if it was a newbie question, but it matches with my status as member).
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2015, 04:58:33 PM

I'm just entering this new field of knowledge (Bitcoin), so I'm learning, didn't stop to read many things about this subject yet, but I'll learn more eventually, I was a bit concerned in fact, however as I see the answers here, it seems not the end of the world for me  Smiley
Oh well, that does explain it. Just make sure that the next time you read most (if not all) of the posts before asking questions that might already be answered. Also as an average consumer you should not really worry about these things; you can't really change anything either (since then you're most likely not a developer nor security expert). If you have questions feel free to ask questions in the Beginners & Help section.

Update: Corrections.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
TheSecretOfShadow (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 05:04:42 PM

Oh well that does explain it. Just make sure that the next time you read most (if not all of the posts) before asking questions that might already be answered. Also as a average customer you should not really worry about these things; you can't really change anything either (since then you're most likely not a developer nor security expert). If you have questions feel free to ask questions in the Beginners & Help section.
Thanks man, I'll read it.
notbatman
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 05:05:30 PM

Q: Is Google supercomputer a threat?
A: NO

Google Maps however is, this app use to work like a charm now it's slow and bloated and if by some miracle you get it to load chances are it will direct you straight off the edge of Earth.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2015, 05:17:42 PM

Google - start mining!

vhaasteren

Activity: 21

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 07:28:28 PM

Nah don't worry, this is old news and the dwave seems far too out there still.

Just remember this old infographhttps://i.imgur.com/vCkuFAY.jpeg

That infographic is incorrect. Bitcoin has only 160 bits of security, since the hashes are only 160 bits. You don't need to match the private key, you need to match what it hashes to. Still, 160 bits of security is more than enough.
xmax

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 07:32:41 PM

I have to throw my two cents in here starting with two words Google Glass!!  This project was a crash waiting to happen.  If this says anything about how google prepares their technology, it may be safe to say that this will crash faster than a blimp in a inferno!  Just my opinion.
HarryKPeters

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 07:45:32 PM

Well most of google's inventions are a thread. But I don't think this will be a thread to bitcoin.
Google clearly decided to watch crypto, but not to participate in it.

notbatman
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 07:53:21 PM

I have to throw my two cents in here starting with two words Google Glass!!  This project was a crash waiting to happen.  If this says anything about how google prepares their technology, it may be safe to say that this will crash faster than a blimp in a inferno!  Just my opinion.

Google has really gone down-hill in the last few years IMO. They were great before going public and for a bit after but I'm starting to question the quality of their products. I suspect their hiring practices have changed to only bringing on board people based who they know and/or how many toilet paper degrees they have.
keepdoing

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 11:49:06 PM

I have to throw my two cents in here starting with two words Google Glass!!  This project was a crash waiting to happen.  If this says anything about how google prepares their technology, it may be safe to say that this will crash faster than a blimp in a inferno!  Just my opinion.

You really think this?

Google Glass didn't "die" because it was a sucky failure.  Contrary, it has gone on to a quite active secret life, and provided an enormous ongoing data set for biotec research.   No, it simply failed as a "consumer product" because it scared/annoyed crap out of people that the guy next to them in the coffee shop could be monitoring every thing around them and no one would know.  The backlash coming was obvious, so Google pulled it, and went dark in their research, which is exceptionally active.

For example, Nerural Integrated Attachements.  Mindwave Mobile in combination with MindRDR was an early prototype they used to greatly enhance their tech-bio research.  An interesting never publically discussed aspect about this technology, is it's potential for bi-directional linkages (biological neural net - computer neural net).  Send messages, suggestions, etc - in both directions (Hey, who needs a robot army when you can just upload new "software" into the existing ones).  Early Apps such as MedRef Facial Recognition, while developed for a different purpose, adds "facial recognition on the go" for the busy law enforcement officer.  Add the Mobile Recording aspect - steamed to vast Cloud Servers for analysis/tracking etc purposes, and you have something that when reintroduced into global security (police & military) forces - well.... you figure the outcome.

And yes.... its an active project.  Actually due to the reason behind the failure of Google Glass adoption, it is the Only Viable Rollout Project there is..... a market in which no one cares what the general population cares thinks..... security/police/military.

And roll out scenarios / plans are being prepared for the right time.  Add a little confusion, a dash of societal panic.  Whalla!  Google Glass with some really powerful built in apps (sorry - limited only to law enforcement.)
notbatman
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 12:02:39 AM

Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: