Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:02:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Invoices/Payments/Receipts proposal discussion  (Read 24652 times)
piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 02:19:12 PM

Do we really want CA support hard coded into the client? Worth some thought.
No we don't, but the core dev team obviously does, since they have paralyzed the bitcoin-qt development for almost a year already, just to give the bitcoin community this great new feature, that no sane person is going to use anyway because of the reasons that are obvious to everyone with a working brain.

Good job, guys!
How much longer are you going to be busy with this useless crap? Smiley

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 04:07:37 PM

It is difficult to take this complaint seriously, lacking similar protests for people to stop using SSL + existing CAs when visiting bitcoin websites.

A certain user class is already using certificates and digital signatures.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 05:29:43 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2013, 06:52:12 PM by piotr_n

I just don't understand what this SSL based payment processing has to do with bitcoin itself.
For me, and I am an active bitcoin user who uses bitcoins on daily basis, it is a waste of time at best.
Only big corporations will be using such a payment protocol, and since when we care about them?
Big corporations have enough money to invent their own payment protocols, on top of the already existing bitcoin client - which IMHO is exactly the place where a payment protocols should be, definitely not in the core where you are putting it now.

Mike - it is at least clear that he works for Google and his employer has a vast interest in putting hands on any new emerging IT, preferably driving its development into a direction that will make them lots of money in the future. That's BTW also a reason why they found Ripple interesting - because it is something that is supposed to be for bitcoin what fractional reserve system once was for gold; a great money maker.

Gavin - quite similar; he gets paid by "Bitcoin Foundation" - a cartel of a well known companies, that obviously want to comply with all possible NSA "standards and requirements". They don't want US gov to shut them down, so they will do everything to drive the development towards features that will make bitcoin payments "more transparent" and "NSA friendly". It's only logical.

But the rest of you, guys. If nobody pays you for doing this, then I can only ask, what is wrong with you?
Why aren't you working on increasing anonymity, performance, splitting wallet from the blockchain parser, making the core smaller and less dependent on other libs, thus more easy to audit?
Why the hell are you doing the opposite?

Do you really think Satoshi is proud of you today, seeing how you are handling further his great invention?
I don't think so, sirs.

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:50:32 PM

It is also possible to use an SSL channel at the lowest level but then layer protocol security on top of it, so that even someone with the SSL keys and a priveleged position on the backbone still won't have an opportunity to eavesdrop or modify messages.   

This buys you everything SSL buys you (linkable identities / CA-level authentication) and yet, can still be a secure protocol even if SSL is compromised (in which case SSL wouldn't buy you anything, so no loss).  Also, protocol security can be used over TCP/IP or even UDP, without loss of anything else.  Note that UDP is enabled by default because any protocol that detects and corrects for MITM message modifications will also detect and correct for line noise; we don't actually need the TCP layer, let alone the SSL layer built on top of it, unless we want linkability to SSL-authenticated identities.

You'd need to ignore all the insecure payment processing crap and protocols that have been built up assuming that SSL is itself a secure channel, and build better ones.  No security model works if the assumptions it's built on aren't true.  But now that we know what we know about SSL, EVERYBODY needs better protocols to use over those channels, not just Bitcoin users.

StarfishPrime

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 06:27:02 PM

I tend to agree with the general concensus on the other thread running here somewhere: That this sort of functionality should be added as a vendor-neutral API interface, rather than being hard-coded into bitcoinQT, which should remain free of third party dependencies/support.

With full respect to the coredev team, this "upgrade" to bitcoinQT seems mostly like a solution without a problem, and not a really great one at that.

BIP38 is an example of a useful proposal that's already well tested and providing real security for many users today (off line storage, etc) why not implement that?

¦                     
  ¦    ¦¦¦               
¦¦  ¦¦¦¦                 
                             ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦
                          ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦                     
                         ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                  ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦

¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦    ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                   ¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦
                ¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
        ¦¦¦¦         ¦        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦¦          ¦      ¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦         ¦¦         ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦       ¦          ¦ ¦¦   ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦¦     ¦¦          ¦   ¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦     ¦          ¦      ¦   ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦    ¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦¦     ¦¦         ¦   ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦     ¦¦         ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦   ¦¦    ¦        ¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦    ¦   ¦        ¦¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦       ¦     ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦    ¦  ¦      ¦      ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦     ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
       ¦¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦

TorCoin.....
¦
¦
¦
¦
  Fully Anonymous TOR-integrated Crypto
               ¦ Windows     ¦ Linux     ¦ GitHub     ¦ macOS
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
   ANN THREAD
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
[/center]
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 07:24:48 PM

With full respect to the coredev team, this "upgrade" to bitcoinQT seems mostly like a solution without a problem, and not a really great one at that.plement that?

Indeed, the premise of this feature was that newbie or average users wouldn't want to handle the weird geekiness of the public key format, but what happens when these same users want to use the network to send money to each other? We're not all going to get issued with CA certificates any time soon, and probably a good thing too considering the flaws in the present system that everybody acknowledges.

I'm just glad that the Payments Protocol has been designed with modularity in mind, and that not all core development members have been working on it, as it seems that X. 509 part will croak eventually anyway.

I would prefer to pay with fiat than to sacrifice the privacy of my public keys, in all honesty. The trade off just isn't worth it.

Vires in numeris
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 07:33:02 PM
Last edit: October 21, 2013, 09:26:55 PM by piotr_n

I would prefer to pay with fiat than to sacrifice the privacy of my public keys, in all honesty. The trade off just isn't worth it.
Of course - who wouldn't?
What good would bitcoin be for, if you had to register yourself at a CA, before receiving any payment.
It totally contradicts the very principle behind bitcoin's existence.

Let's be realistic; already today, when we do any payment to a webshop, or whatever other commerce, we get a SSL signed payment address anyway, because every single one of these web services uses SSL.
And when we pay to an individual? Well, that's something that is definitely worth addressing, but not by "send your ID to CA and they will tell me that it's you". And definitely it is not so high priority to lock core devs in it for a year - are you out of your mind?

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 07:46:36 PM

What good would bitcoin be for, if you had to register yourself at a CA, before receiving any payment.

Let's be realistic; already today, when we do any payment to a webshop, or whatever other commerce, we get a SSL signed payment address anyway, because every single one of these web services uses SSL.
And when we pay to an individual? Well, that's something that is definitely worth addressing, but not by "send your ID to CA and they will tell me that it's you..." - are you out of your mind?

Well, there will always be a free market for cryptocurrencies under the Satoshi model, not to mention a free market for Bitcoin clients. And if people ever feel like Bitcoin development isn't sharing their ideals any more, the friction of dumping BTC for TrueSatoshi, or whatever it may be, will be way lower. As long as the catalyst isn't the removal of the ability to pay directly with a public key.

The mining pool operators will be the ones to watch, as they in fact run the most decisive nodes on the network, and there are less than a dozen.

Vires in numeris
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 07:48:08 PM

Well, there will always be a free market for cryptocurrencies under the Satoshi model, not to mention a free market for Bitcoin clients. And if people ever feel like Bitcoin development isn't sharing their ideals any more, the friction of dumping BTC for TrueSatoshi, or whatever it may be, will be way lower. As long as the catalyst isn't the removal of the ability to pay directly with a public key.

The mining pool operators will be the ones to watch, as they in fact run the most decisive nodes on the network, and there are less than a dozen.
Of course - luckily for us. Smiley

Nevertheless this topic is about "Invoices/Payments/Receipts proposal discussion" - and we are just providing our feedback..

metacoin

Activity: 437
Merit: 260

balance

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 07:56:36 PM

Personally I wouldn't use a client that had anything to do with a Certificate Authority.

I believe that Bitcoin should not be in any way reliant on a 3rd party "authority". The advantages of Bitcoin are enough that it isn't worth sacrificing independence for the sake of those who refuse to adapt.

pin.org
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 08:21:03 PM

So, who's going to strip the Payment Protocol out of the release it gets into and distribute the binary? Until I see how this plays out longer term, I'm buying dl'ing.

Vires in numeris
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 08:36:33 PM

So, who's going to strip the Payment Protocol out of the release it gets into and distribute the binary? Until I see how this plays out longer term, I'm buying dl'ing.
Just don't use Bitcoin-Qt. Armory is a better wallet client anyway.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 09:04:44 PM

Just don't use Bitcoin-Qt. Armory is a better wallet client anyway.

Except that (as I'm sure you know), Armory interfaces with the network via RPC calls to the Satoshi client. And I know it's not going to be utilising any aspect of the Satoshi client that the PP affects, how could it possibly do so when it's not yet functional in Satoshi itself? The mining nodes are never going to need the payments protocol code anyway, so there is actually a good reason from a technical standpoint for two editions to exist (as well as the holdings privacy standpoint I'm advocating).

MultiBit? I can't trust a Java based client with my mining reserves. I'd actually prefer that etotheipi re-writes the python based parts of Armory in C++, but I understand the python run-time isn't as vulnerable as that of Java, so it's not too uncomfortable. And I also understand that at least some of the time saving algorithmic expression that python has over C++ has been added to the newer standard of C++, so it's more possible than it once was, given that Armory is now a full-time project. Maybe not though, I don't claim to have anything like an insiders understanding of this sort of thing.

Vires in numeris
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 09:20:52 PM

+1000

Well, i never thought i would agree with you on something, but it just happened.

Adding any kind of "trusted" "root" servers to Bitcoin core totally negates the decentralized nature of the currency. What if in some time, everybody starts to build their buisness solutions of top of this OBVIOUSLY BROKEN centralized scheme and 20 years in the future Bitcoin will turn into another shit like central banks because certificate authorities will control who can and who can't do Bitcoin-related buisness ?

I tend to agree with the general concensus on the other thread running here somewhere: That this sort of functionality should be added as a vendor-neutral API interface, rather than being hard-coded into bitcoinQT, which should remain free of third party dependencies/support.
With full respect to the coredev team, this "upgrade" to bitcoinQT seems mostly like a solution without a problem, and not a really great one at that.

+ 1000

Adding "trusted" certificates of CENTRALIZED entities into Bitcoin code ? I mean *WTF* ?

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 09:37:52 PM

Except that (as I'm sure you know), Armory interfaces with the network via RPC calls to the Satoshi client.
Armory won't need the Satoshi client forever. If it's not already possible to make Armory worth with btcd it will be soon.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 09:46:03 PM

SERIOUSLY, GUYS.

One question:

Devs, did you anticipate that in the future their new CA-Based centralized protocol may become the standard of doing Bitcoin payments ?
And then NSA/USA Govt/World govt/whatever can actually seize the CA and decide who can do business with whom ?

I guess that by the time I'm writing this, governments of the world already figured out that Bitcoin cannot be stopped using the easy "conventional" methods. So they may(or rather WILL) try to embrace, extend and extinguish Bitcoin. 1. First by making it centralized, 2. second by promoting the centralized way of doing transactions, 3. third attacking the single point of failure, thus ending it.

You are just in the process of helping them with the step 2.

piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 09:50:06 PM

Devs, did you anticipate that in the future their new CA-Based centralized protocol may become the standard of doing Bitcoin payments ?
nee - I would not worry about this; it won't happen, because people (bitcoin community) won't buy it.
still it's a shame that the precious dev resources are being so much wasted.
IMHO if someone had an intention to sabotage the actual useful development of the bitcoin software, he could not have done a better job.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 09:52:01 PM

SERIOUSLY, GUYS.

One question:

And then NSA/USA Govt/World govt/whatever can actually seize the CA and decide who can do business with whom ?

I guess that by the time I'm writing this, governments of the world already figured out that Bitcoin cannot be stopped using the easy "conventional" methods. So they may(or rather WILL) try to embrace, extend and extinguish Bitcoin. First by making it centralized, second by promoting the centralized way of doing transactions, third attacking the single point of failure, thus ending it.

You are just in the process of helping them with the step 2).

Create another subset Satoshi distribution sans Payment Protocol, you're already doing it with your no forced Tx fee distro. Then everybody will have an off the shelf alternative, instead of the lazy route that they could potentially take. If enough objection develops towards the Payments Protocol, it will be dead in the water before potential arguments in favour of removing direct public key payments can even begin.

Vires in numeris
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 09:52:21 PM

SERIOUSLY, SHADOWOFHARBINGER:

I LOVE IT WHEN PEOPLE SHOUT AT ME! IT IS A GREAT WAY OF MAKING ME REALIZE THE FOLLY OF MY WAYS, GIVES ME WARM FUZZIES, AND MAKES ME WANT TO COME BACK TO THESE WONDERFUL FORUMS AGAIN AND AGAIN!

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 09:56:58 PM

SERIOUSLY, SHADOWOFHARBINGER:

I LOVE IT WHEN PEOPLE SHOUT AT ME! IT IS A GREAT WAY OF MAKING ME REALIZE THE FOLLY OF MY WAYS, GIVES ME WARM FUZZIES, AND MAKES ME WANT TO COME BACK TO THESE WONDERFUL FORUMS AGAIN AND AGAIN!

Payment Protocol could be good, I do understand it helps with MITM attacks. We're just not too keen on the MITM we're in turn volunteering information to being able to identify how much other BTC we have and where else we spend it. A legitimate concern.

Vires in numeris
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: