Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:49:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Affordable motherboard for GPU mining?  (Read 30612 times)
Pamadar
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 1028

View Profile
April 13, 2016, 12:04:06 PM

16 Gig total ram is pretty cheap any more, can find it under $70 on Newegg even pushing faster ram speeds.

It's probably overkill for current mining, but can be nice to have it for later repurposing of the machine(s).

What is the benefit using 16 GB memory? I thought 4 GB is enough for all the coin mining so far.

there was a coin that was based on ram, not in the sense that you need ram to mine, but it was posible to mine only with big ass memory, like at least 16gb, or even 32

i forgot the name, but it does not matter anymore i think it's dead now...

What is the point of ram mining? I think the hard disk mining can use the unused the hard drive space.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1362

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
April 13, 2016, 07:03:39 PM

What is the point of ram mining? I think the hard disk mining can use the unused the hard drive space.

There is already a coin in which you can mine with your hard drive's free space. It is called Burst which is based on NXT. You can check it, although it is not very profitable to mine, but still it is fun. To check out how much you will earn, go here: http://burstcoin.biz/calculator

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 13, 2016, 08:15:35 PM

16 Gig total ram is pretty cheap any more, can find it under $70 on Newegg even pushing faster ram speeds.

It's probably overkill for current mining, but can be nice to have it for later repurposing of the machine(s).

What is the benefit using 16 GB memory? I thought 4 GB is enough for all the coin mining so far.

there was a coin that was based on ram, not in the sense that you need ram to mine, but it was posible to mine only with big ass memory, like at least 16gb, or even 32

was not ram mining, big bench of ram was needed for your mining with cpu with that coin, that i've mentioned
Koamder

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 16, 2016, 07:57:49 AM

was not ram mining, big bench of ram was needed for your mining with cpu with that coin, that i've mentioned

For the mining with big PC memory, most of the home miners will not be able to take part in. We usually have less than 16 GB.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2016, 04:04:50 PM

For the mining with big PC memory, most of the home miners will not be able to take part in. We usually have less than 16 GB.

Agree. I also think that I would not be as effective as mining with a GPU or CPU. You would get better performance with a GPU than RAM memory, in my opinion. A good way to bring mining to everyone would be a specialized ASIC mining chip from within a smartphone or tablet. That would be very ideal and would help bring crypto currencies to the masses.  Grin

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Zitdadast

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

LTC fan 4ever

View Profile
April 16, 2016, 04:55:43 PM

Agree. I also think that I would not be as effective as mining with a GPU or CPU. You would get better performance with a GPU than RAM memory, in my opinion. A good way to bring mining to everyone would be a specialized ASIC mining chip from within a smartphone or tablet. That would be very ideal and would help bring crypto currencies to the masses.  Grin

Yes. But that will deplete the battery very fast. maybe the graphics with the PC is the best way to mine.
fricircled

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2016, 08:29:27 AM

Yes. But that will deplete the battery very fast. maybe the graphics with the PC is the best way to mine.

For me, I will never use the portable device to mine. That is bad for the battery life and battery costs money.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 18, 2016, 11:15:13 PM

For me, I will never use the portable device to mine. That is bad for the battery life and battery costs money.

That is true, but you'll never know when manufacturers start making powerful batteries for these portable mining devices. It will be a matter of better capacity in order to have greater battery life. Perhaps, they decide to make those batteries affordable to buy in the future as I have a feeling that power specs would be greatly improved in smartphones by that time. Just my opinion.  Grin

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 19, 2016, 01:40:49 AM

If anyone needs mobos, hit me up. I have 5 or 6 bitcoin motherboards with intel CPUs from both asrock and biostar. All have 6x PCI-e.
Zitdadast

LTC fan 4ever

View Profile
April 19, 2016, 07:59:09 PM

If anyone needs mobos, hit me up. I have 5 or 6 bitcoin motherboards with intel CPUs from both asrock and biostar. All have 6x PCI-e.

Where are you based? I am in Europe. Maybe the cost of shipping the mother board could be too much.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
April 20, 2016, 07:08:27 AM

That is true, but you'll never know when manufacturers start making powerful batteries for these portable mining devices.

They won't. Not worth the cost for a very tiny to non-existant market.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
wolverine5pl

Activity: 431

View Profile
June 25, 2016, 02:41:16 PM

Hi guys. need help. looking for MOB for 2-3 gpus for mining. prefebly 775lga . any advices? any reccomendations?
Zitdadast

LTC fan 4ever

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 06:24:03 PM

Hi guys. need help. looking for MOB for 2-3 gpus for mining. prefebly 775lga . any advices? any reccomendations?

I reckon you have a LGA775 processor. It is better not to use those now. Their power consumption is high. It is better to buy the 1150 or later CPU. They are cheap.
wolverine5pl

Activity: 431

View Profile
June 27, 2016, 06:49:23 PM

i got ASROCK H61 Pro BTC with INTEL G640
U253

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 04:04:12 AM

You want to look at two motherboards and probably those two only:
ASRock H61 Pro BTC and ASRock H81 Pro BTC.
The main difference between them is the CPU socket.

These motherboards can easily handle 6 cards but you'll need PCI-E risers. I'd highly recommend only using powered USB risers and avoiding ribbon risers at all costs.

If you want a motherboard in which you can put cards without risers you're going to have to reach deep into your pocket and even then you'll probably run into thermal throttling with some beefier cards if they are that close together.

Feel free to ask anything about mining here on in pm.

I use the H61 motherboard. It is very reliable. It will recognise 6 GPU easily. If you have the dual GPU cards, it can support 8 GPU.

H61 is good. Asrock has H97 now.

This is from http://cryptomining-blog.com/page/4/

Intel Socket 1151 ASRock Motherboards
5 cards:
– ASRock B150A-X1
– ASRock B150 Pro4D3
– ASRock B150 Pro43.1
– ASRock H170A-X1
– ASRock H170 Pro4
– ASRock H170 Pro4D3
– ASRock H170 Pro4S
4 cards:
– ASRock B150 Combo
– ASRock B150M Pro4S
– ASRock B150M Pro4
– ASRock Q170M vPro
– ASRock H170 Combo
– ASRock H170M Pro4S
– ASRock H170M Pro4

Intel Socket 1150 ASRock Motherboards
6 cards:
– ASRock H81 Pro BTC
– ASRock H81 Pro-G
– ASRock B85 Anniversary
– ASRock H97 Anniversary
4 cards:
– ASRock H81M BTC
– ASRock H81M-G
– ASRock B85M BTC
– ASRock B85 Pro4
– ASRock H87 Pro4

Intel Socket 1155 ASRock Motherboards
6 cards:
– ASRock H61 Pro BTC
– ASRock H61 Pro
– ASRock H61DEL
4 cards:
– ASRock H67DE3
– ASRock P67 Pro
– ASRock P67 Pro3 SE
– ASRock P75 Pro3

I actually just purchased Asrock 1151 H170-X with 5 slots, you can easily find it everywhere. TDP for 1151 CPU is also lower.
onemd

Activity: 309
Merit: 118

View Profile
July 02, 2016, 12:12:29 PM

You want to look at two motherboards and probably those two only:
ASRock H61 Pro BTC and ASRock H81 Pro BTC.
The main difference between them is the CPU socket.

These motherboards can easily handle 6 cards but you'll need PCI-E risers. I'd highly recommend only using powered USB risers and avoiding ribbon risers at all costs.

If you want a motherboard in which you can put cards without risers you're going to have to reach deep into your pocket and even then you'll probably run into thermal throttling with some beefier cards if they are that close together.

Feel free to ask anything about mining here on in pm.

I use the H61 motherboard. It is very reliable. It will recognise 6 GPU easily. If you have the dual GPU cards, it can support 8 GPU.

H61 is good. Asrock has H97 now.

This is from http://cryptomining-blog.com/page/4/

Intel Socket 1151 ASRock Motherboards
5 cards:
– ASRock B150A-X1
– ASRock B150 Pro4D3
– ASRock B150 Pro43.1
– ASRock H170A-X1
– ASRock H170 Pro4
– ASRock H170 Pro4D3
– ASRock H170 Pro4S
4 cards:
– ASRock B150 Combo
– ASRock B150M Pro4S
– ASRock B150M Pro4
– ASRock Q170M vPro
– ASRock H170 Combo
– ASRock H170M Pro4S
– ASRock H170M Pro4

Intel Socket 1150 ASRock Motherboards
6 cards:
– ASRock H81 Pro BTC
– ASRock H81 Pro-G
– ASRock B85 Anniversary
– ASRock H97 Anniversary
4 cards:
– ASRock H81M BTC
– ASRock H81M-G
– ASRock B85M BTC
– ASRock B85 Pro4
– ASRock H87 Pro4

Intel Socket 1155 ASRock Motherboards
6 cards:
– ASRock H61 Pro BTC
– ASRock H61 Pro
– ASRock H61DEL
4 cards:
– ASRock H67DE3
– ASRock P67 Pro
– ASRock P67 Pro3 SE
– ASRock P75 Pro3

I actually just purchased Asrock 1151 H170-X with 5 slots, you can easily find it everywhere. TDP for 1151 CPU is also lower.

This motherboard has only one on board molex connectors, different from H81. So be careful when running RX480.

Technicrate

Activity: 68
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2016, 12:05:01 PM

If you use the AMD R9 RX480 for the Ethereum mining, you need a properly configured +12V power supply.
Flodemaga

Activity: 286

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 06:48:13 AM

If you use the AMD R9 RX480 for the Ethereum mining, you need a properly configured +12V power supply.

AMD issued a new driver:
http://videocardz.com/62009/amd-releases-radeon-software-crimson-16-7-1-drivers-fixing-power-distribution
samanas

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 09, 2016, 03:08:39 PM

AMD issued a new driver:
http://videocardz.com/62009/amd-releases-radeon-software-crimson-16-7-1-drivers-fixing-power-distribution

There are some issues with that driver as well.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: