Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:44:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S3+ support  (Read 1143 times)
bodaboda (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 03:04:16 PM

Hey guys!

I've some questions and I hope someone can give me an answer and help me.

My Antminer S3+ is beeing powered with a Corsair RM850 and working 218@stock voltage whitch gives me an avg 440 (0% HW errors). I tried some new settings like 225 and 250 but i got some HW errors (0.043%) and the same hash rates that i got at 218.

I tried different firmwares and kano's cgminer but i got the same results.

Does someone have a possible explanation for this? Smiley (maybe a batch 1?)

Best regards

btw: kano's cgminer sometimes reports 700+GH/s, is this normal?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sgi02

Activity: 542
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:08:02 PM

How long did you give the unit to see your average hashrate? On my S3's it takes about 30mins / 1HR for it to stabilize. Your HW errors seem perfectly reasonable, even at stock its not uncommon to get some HW errors here and there. Id say bump it to 237.5mhz, let it run for an hour, take a screenshot of your miner status page and post back.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 10:00:44 PM

Hey guys!

I've some questions and I hope someone can give me an answer and help me.

My Antminer S3+ is beeing powered with a Corsair RM850 and working 218@stock voltage whitch gives me an avg 440 (0% HW errors). I tried some new settings like 225 and 250 but i got some HW errors (0.043%) and the same hash rates that i got at 218.

I tried different firmwares and kano's cgminer but i got the same results.

Does someone have a possible explanation for this? Smiley (maybe a batch 1?)

Best regards

btw: kano's cgminer sometimes reports 700+GH/s, is this normal?

I would check the voltage at the Miner's PCI-e plug. Some S3's are simply icky, they dont clock well, but either way, the reason why you can not bring it to 500 is its not getting the voltage it wants.

Some are better than other as in they can go higher with the same stock voltage. But some PSU's voltage output drop under load, which worsen the condition.

(btw) Also yes, variance is normal.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 04:53:15 AM

How long did you give the unit to see your average hashrate? On my S3's it takes about 30mins / 1HR for it to stabilize. Your HW errors seem perfectly reasonable, even at stock its not uncommon to get some HW errors here and there. Id say bump it to 237.5mhz, let it run for an hour, take a screenshot of your miner status page and post back.

I would agree on running for 30 to hour before getting stats.  That 700+ is not true on one S3+ even.

As far as first post the batch one problems were on regular S3's.  So they do not have the S3+ label.  If you have that label you are not having the issues that batch went throught.  It was just batch one of S3's.   A lot just ran under spec.  Some ran perfect at spec.  Just did not know till your ran it.
bodaboda (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 06:56:55 PM

https://i.imgur.com/jsZpbG7.png

A print from my S3+, currently 250@0.780v. This amount HW errors is acceptable or not?

Thanks for helping me guys Smiley
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 08:39:45 PM

A print from my S3+, currently 250@0.780v. This amount HW errors is acceptable or not?

Thanks for helping me guys Smiley

Looks good to me, all the ASIC's are OK, temperature looks good. 250MHz is a small overclock and HW error rate of 0.0297 is acceptable.

The 0.78V however means nothing as it is not adjustable.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
bodaboda (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 08:46:50 PM

I didn't understand this part =P
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 09:07:34 PM

He means the value you set for volt does not actually do anything. Volt on the S3 is not adjustable. You can set a value, but there is nothing to pass it to, therefore the 0.78V setting means nothing.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
bodaboda (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 09:55:49 PM

He means the value you set for volt does not actually do anything. Volt on the S3 is not adjustable. You can set a value, but there is nothing to pass it to, therefore the 0.78V setting means nothing.

Hmm i thought that if i set a value that would do something. Are you sure that in S3+ is not possible to raise voltage? I'm asking because there are some threads about OC in this machines. How can i check if this unit is capable of it?

btw sorry for my english =P
RichBC

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 10:10:16 PM

Hmm i thought that if i set a value that would do something. Are you sure that in S3+ is not possible to raise voltage? I'm asking because there are some threads about OC in this machines. How can i check if this unit is capable of it?

Yes quite sure. The only way to raise the voltage is to change a resistor value on the potential Divider from the Buck Converter chips. (pencil Mod). You do not have to overvolt to overclock, some overclocking will be possible at the standard core voltage, limited by when the HW error rate get's much above 0.05%,and the hash Rate begins to drop below what is expected.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
bodaboda (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 12:54:37 PM

Yes quite sure. The only way to raise the voltage is to change a resistor value on the potential Divider from the Buck Converter chips. (pencil Mod). You do not have to overvolt to overclock, some overclocking will be possible at the standard core voltage, limited by when the HW error rate get's much above 0.05%,and the hash Rate begins to drop below what is expected.

Rich

Is there any scheme for pencil mod?
My hash dropped to 460 avg after 10 hours running, maybe this unit can't handle 250mhz =P
RichBC

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 01:03:52 PM

Is there any scheme for pencil mod?
My hash dropped to 460 avg after 10 hours running, maybe this unit can't handle 250mhz =P

Details on how to pencil mod will be in this thread somewhere, here is a picture I put up showing which resistors to modify.

The pencil mod is usually used to reduce the voltage on the Core for better efficiency when underclocking. However by pencil modding a different resistor you can also increse the core voltage to support overclocking.

Red lines indicate the resistors to mod for Undervolting. Green Lines for Overvolting.

Rich

Rich

bodaboda (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 01:12:24 PM

Thanks Rich! Cheesy

I dont have a voltimeter with me right now, need to wait a few days before testing this.. How much did you achive with this?
RichBC

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 01:23:12 PM

Thanks Rich! Cheesy

I dont have a voltimeter with me right now, need to wait a few days before testing this.. How much did you achive with this?

I only ever tried Undervolting as back then BTC was much lower and I needed greater efficiency, so cannot speak for Overvolting.

This is what I managed undervolting.

Code:
MHz	V Core	GH	W	J/GH
175 0.685 350 197 0.56
150 0.66 300 154 0.51
125 0.64 254 120 0.47
100 0.63 200 96 0.48

Rich

bodaboda (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 05:41:03 PM

I tried the mod but it didnt work, after a hour or two, hash drops to 470/460. And yes, i modded the "red" resistors =P
RichBC

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 05:59:09 PM

I tried the mod but it didnt work, after a hour or two, hash drops to 470/460. And yes, i modded the "red" resistors =P

If you were able to achieve an overclock to 470/460 having adjusted the "Red" resistors to Undervolt then you did very well.

Rich

bodaboda (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 06:41:31 PM

If you were able to achieve an overclock to 470/460 having adjusted the "Red" resistors to Undervolt then you did very well.

Rich

F*ck, I mean Green. Sorry Smiley
Srheal

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 09:06:33 PM

I got a question about mining I want too litecoin mine using better quality mining speeds, with a limited purchase of equipment so can I use these two miners to mine lite-coins Avalon Nano 3 Newest USB 3.6Gh/s Asic Bitcoin Miner. Or lets say i purchase a bitmain s3 Antminer can i use it to mine lite-coins. and if not why and can't I, can some one explain if we are restricted or what are the barriers that block me from using faster equipment to get the most of our mining capabilities.

Thanks

link is posted: http://www.amazon.com/Avalon-Newest-3-6Gh-Bitcoin-Miner/dp/B00Q8G3BLK/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1450383549&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=bi+fury+miner
RichBC

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 09:13:45 PM

I got a question about mining I want too litecoin mine using better quality mining speeds, with a limited purchase of equipment so can I use these two miners to mine lite-coins Avalon Nano 3 Newest USB 3.6Gh/s Asic Bitcoin Miner. Or lets say i purchase a bitmain s3 Antminer can i use it to mine lite-coins. and if not why and can't I, can some one explain if we are restricted or what are the barriers that block me from using faster equipment to get the most of our mining capabilities.

Thanks

link is posted: http://www.amazon.com/Avalon-Newest-3-6Gh-Bitcoin-Miner/dp/B00Q8G3BLK/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1450383549&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=bi+fury+miner

This is the S3+ Support thread. S3+ only Mines Bitcoin, they cannot mine Litecoin. Please move your question in the Alt Coins Section.

Rich

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: