Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:34:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Budget: €200 - Which miner should I buy as a beginner?  (Read 1420 times)
eternalgloom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2015, 04:52:01 PM

I'd recommend something smaller for solo mining, since there is not a big difference in odds of mining with a small stick (10GH/s) that consume 2 watts versus 900GH/s that consume 750~ watts, but the later's cost will add up fairly quickly.

I'd recommend a Sidehack stick for little ongoing costs. An undervolted S1 for low initial costs @ 90-140GH/s @ 80-160Watts and THEN a single S3.
Yeah for sure, I was planning on running different rigs for different purposes in the future. I'm thinking a couple of small asics for solo mining and the S3 for mining in a regular pool.
Hoping to get everything running in the nesxt couple of weeks/months Smiley

Great, then.

A sidehack stick could be pretty chill to figuring out solo mining, but the way it is recommended to do it, is just point at a solo pool, so in term of technicality its even simpler than(setting up normal mining) managing regular payouts, since the payouts will not happen. (lol)

Then mining with a S3 on a regular pool to get the hang of managing a mining "operation" is a good idea.

How much do you sell your electricity for?
I forgot to add that excess energy during the day, is 'deducted' from the power used during the night.
Anything that's left after that gets sold at around 0.12 euro per Kwh (per 1000 Kwh)

Thats very expensive for electricity. Buying more solar panel or hydro turbines and selling the excess electricity might be better than mining Bitcoins, because anything over 0.09 per kWh is considered outright "bad" for mining. It would be cheaper to use cloud or coop hosting and those are angled at making money off the hosting (off you).

So you can tell how bad of a situation mining with such a high electric rare would be.
I'm not interested in expanding my solar set-up though, I have limited roof space for one Wink
Plus I'm sure I've left out some information by mistake, since having solar panels has been a bureaucratic mess (subsidies cut every year & taxes added recently).

The price you pay per Kwh is even crazier, just looked it up and it's around 0.23 euro

That is pretty bad on electricity honestly don't go to big if you want to go big look at hosting centers they would do 1/2 easily possibly 1/3 of some compared to your current electricity.

Also these places have no Vats on some of them.  So lot better as far as ROI.  But it would suck to not be able to tinker with them.
Yeah that's the thing, I want to tinker with them. But it might be more fun to set up something small with a bunch of small usb stick asics and let that solo mine all day.
Also, I've had a look at my current power usage, annd it appears that I'm not even coming close to what I'm currently generating, so it's definitely worth it imo to mess around with a small rig

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 08:36:53 PM

I'd recommend something smaller for solo mining, since there is not a big difference in odds of mining with a small stick (10GH/s) that consume 2 watts versus 900GH/s that consume 750~ watts, but the later's cost will add up fairly quickly.

I'd recommend a Sidehack stick for little ongoing costs. An undervolted S1 for low initial costs @ 90-140GH/s @ 80-160Watts and THEN a single S3.
Yeah for sure, I was planning on running different rigs for different purposes in the future. I'm thinking a couple of small asics for solo mining and the S3 for mining in a regular pool.
Hoping to get everything running in the nesxt couple of weeks/months Smiley

Great, then.

A sidehack stick could be pretty chill to figuring out solo mining, but the way it is recommended to do it, is just point at a solo pool, so in term of technicality its even simpler than(setting up normal mining) managing regular payouts, since the payouts will not happen. (lol)

Then mining with a S3 on a regular pool to get the hang of managing a mining "operation" is a good idea.

How much do you sell your electricity for?
I forgot to add that excess energy during the day, is 'deducted' from the power used during the night.
Anything that's left after that gets sold at around 0.12 euro per Kwh (per 1000 Kwh)

Thats very expensive for electricity. Buying more solar panel or hydro turbines and selling the excess electricity might be better than mining Bitcoins, because anything over 0.09 per kWh is considered outright "bad" for mining. It would be cheaper to use cloud or coop hosting and those are angled at making money off the hosting (off you).

So you can tell how bad of a situation mining with such a high electric rare would be.
I'm not interested in expanding my solar set-up though, I have limited roof space for one Wink
Plus I'm sure I've left out some information by mistake, since having solar panels has been a bureaucratic mess (subsidies cut every year & taxes added recently).

The price you pay per Kwh is even crazier, just looked it up and it's around 0.23 euro

That is pretty bad on electricity honestly don't go to big if you want to go big look at hosting centers they would do 1/2 easily possibly 1/3 of some compared to your current electricity.

Also these places have no Vats on some of them.  So lot better as far as ROI.  But it would suck to not be able to tinker with them.
Yeah that's the thing, I want to tinker with them. But it might be more fun to set up something small with a bunch of small usb stick asics and let that solo mine all day.
Also, I've had a look at my current power usage, annd it appears that I'm not even coming close to what I'm currently generating, so it's definitely worth it imo to mess around with a small rig

For fun, absolutely. Money wise, selling your electricity is the best, however, if you as you say get something small just to tinker and solo mine, there would be no problem. There's a whole thread about the Sidehack Gekko stick and people have nice or big setup of them.

Maybe you could do the same, and once you're done messing with it, you'll only be "losing" a small amount of electricity to it.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 08:45:56 PM

You could always make a trojan, for less than 200 Euro!
That might produce more than you rmining rigs and cost you less to produce, however, this is classed as hacking and social hacking through the use of this. And the two are illegal, you could always as a trusted friend/family member if they have cheaper electricity, or know a person who is living in n apartment or studying at university that has "unlimited free power" in their rent tarriff.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 10:04:34 PM

That might produce more than you rmining rigs and cost you less to produce, however, this is classed as hacking and social hacking through the use of this. And the two are illegal, you could always as a trusted friend/family member if they have cheaper electricity, or know a person who is living in n apartment or studying at university that has "unlimited free power" in their rent tarriff.

Why offer such a bad suggestion?  I know your joking.. but seriously I would think twice before typing some things.

But the truth still is with 200 euro budget there is not a ton of miners in that range.  S3 chances are newest he is going to get  And being in Europe possibly VAT/Import tax. So not cheap.  Really do need cheap electricity to make sense.
eternalgloom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2015, 06:15:23 AM

Why offer such a bad suggestion?  I know your joking.. but seriously I would think twice before typing some things.

But the truth still is with 200 euro budget there is not a ton of miners in that range.  S3 chances are newest he is going to get  And being in Europe possibly VAT/Import tax. So not cheap.  Really do need cheap electricity to make sense.
With the free electricity, I can expect to make a small profit even, in the distant future Smiley
And if I ever manage to find a block with the solo mining rig, I'd have a huge ROI. Chances are very slim but you never know...

Atomicat
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 07:28:56 AM

With the free electricity, I can expect to make a small profit even, in the distant future Smiley
And if I ever manage to find a block with the solo mining rig, I'd have a huge ROI. Chances are very slim but you never know...
If you solo mine and don't find a block the time you spent running the mining rig is wasted. With a pool you will at least get something out of the machine.
eternalgloom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2015, 07:40:34 AM

If you solo mine and don't find a block the time you spent running the mining rig is wasted. With a pool you will at least get something out of the machine.
Sure, but doing both is just more fun, and solo mining with a little rig, consisting of like 6 usb asics on a hub will not require that much power.
I can still use an S3 to mine in a pool, like I mentioned before.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: