Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:48:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reward Half without ASICs = Bad for miners?  (Read 3968 times)
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 07:56:53 PM

I've heard people say they're glad that ASICs are delayed, as it gives them a few extra weeks of GPU mining. Now that we've hit the Reward Halving, has this changed anyone's opinions? GPU mining can still be profitable, but just barely, and it depends on your electric costs. FPGAs are profitable, but it takes years to pay them back now, so buying more FPGAs isn't really an option. The only future option even feasible is ASICs, but they're delayed.

So this is more of a question to those people who WANTED the ASICs to be delayed to extract more from their GPU rigs: Do you still feel the same way?

Note: this is not a bashing (or praising) ground for one ASIC manufacturer or another. We're all well aware of all the ASIC manufacturer's (both claimed and expected) time-tables, but this has to do with GPU miners and the reward half. Thanks.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 10:44:04 PM

So this is more of a question to those people who WANTED the ASICs to be delayed to extract more from their GPU rigs: Do you still feel the same way?

Here's who is happy right now.

Has investment in GPU rigs, pays about half or less of the average eletric rate (average is $0.15 per kWh so pays $.075 or less), is not likely to be among the first ones to receive an ASIC.

The longer this drags on at current BTC/USD and difficulty levels, the longer those GPUs will remain profitable.

As soon as ASICs ship, even those remaining mining on GPUs will find that the GPUs are no longer useful.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 03:26:16 AM

Has investment in GPU rigs, pays about half or less of the average eletric rate (average is $0.15 per kWh so pays $.075 or less), is not likely to be among the first ones to receive an ASIC.

The longer this drags on at current BTC/USD and difficulty levels, the longer those GPUs will remain profitable.

As soon as ASICs ship, even those remaining mining on GPUs will find that the GPUs are no longer useful.
That's exactly the kind of person that I expected. Are you one of those?

Also, how long do you think GPU miners with free electric will keep mining, even AFTER the ASICs hit?

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 04:04:49 AM

Are you one of those?

Heh, nope.

Also, how long do you think GPU miners with free electric will keep mining, even AFTER the ASICs hit?

If the GPUs are providing needed heat for the winter, maybe springtime.  Or earlier, especially with the noise.

Just like nobody messes with CPU mining anymore, once 100+ Thash of new capacity comes online, those GPUs won't be doing any good even with free electricity.

Now there could be continued life with CoinLab's HPC effort ... especially for those with a low cost of electricity.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

bitboyben

Activity: 330
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 07:55:37 AM

Without ASICs will mining shrink/centralize ?
Will this damage the bitcoin community by shrinking it?

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 08:11:27 AM

Without ASICs will mining shrink/centralize ?

At the current levels of exchange rate and difficulty, yes, there is currently too much GPU hashing capacity to be supported by 3,600 BTC at $12.50 per BTC.

Will this damage the bitcoin community by shrinking it?

Was 24 Thash/s necessary to protect from 51% attack?  If bitcoin only had 12 Thash/s would it have been p0wned by an attacker by now?

Unlikely. 

It will consolidate for a bit here. 

If ASICs weren't "real soon now", miners would be buying up FPGAs to replace their power-hungry GPUs.  But with ASICs around the corner, nobody is buying an FPGA right now.

While GPUs started out being people using their existing gaming GPU, it quickly become a commercial endeavor.  Since a small-time miner would hit limits for power and heat, only those who could expand were the larger GPU farms where the cost of new electrical and heating could be justified by it adding such large amounts of hashes.   The efficiencies favored a smaller number of larger players.   

Because FPGAs were more efficient, the electrical capacity wasn't reached as easily.   This helped to distribute the hashing capacity to a wider group again.

ASICs will likely cause distribution to spread even further.

So essentially, the "energy hog" property of GPUs actually worked against decentralization.  If the hashing capacity drops, it is coming nearly entirely from GPUs so the mix of GPUs and FPGAs will show GPU dropping and FPGAs growing (on a relative basis), but both are done when ASICs ship from multiple manufacturers.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

bitboyben

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 04:25:19 AM

Thanks for the reply Steven, yes 51% is still unlikely as you stated.
What if people give up on BTC all together if they can't afford to mine at all?
Then the community shrinks, fewer investors/evangelists to grow BTC to the next level.
This is what I am concerned about, I guess ASICs coming soon should be helpful.

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 04:56:00 AM

If ASICs never were to appear, difficulty would readjust for mining to be on the fringe of profitability, as it always does. It's just that difficulty drops take longer than rises by their nature, since it needs to take longer for the usual 2106 blocks for bitcoin to detect that difficulty needs to drop.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 05:13:56 AM

I imagine the only people that are terribly happy are free power types or people sitting on a massive farm of FPGAs
Fcx35x10

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 06:00:38 AM

I imagine the only people that are terribly happy are free power types or people sitting on a massive farm of FPGAs

agree but u forgot those shady botnets lol
kwoody

Activity: 454

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 07:00:45 AM

it's the winter season, so i'm not stopping since the extra heat can be a plus. if it were summer, i'd definately reconsider. difficulty is on the up, if it reaches 5 million without BTC breaking $15 i intend to stop, that's my threshold
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 07:03:44 AM

If ASICs never were to appear, difficulty would readjust for mining to be on the fringe of profitability, as it always does. It's just that difficulty drops take longer than rises by their nature, since it needs to take longer for the usual 2106 blocks for bitcoin to detect that difficulty needs to drop.
You're basing that off organofcorti thread that says price drives difficulty?

The increase in price drove the network to what it is today. The price will keep it that way, regardless of the difficulty, or the reward half. As a consequence, the reward half should not affect the price (which is really hasn't).

bitboyben

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 10:32:10 PM

Good point, if the reward halving was already priced in then neither the price nor the difficulty should change.

bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 12:01:02 AM

Good point, if the reward halving was already priced in then neither the price nor the difficulty should change.

Reward halving does not affect the price, excepting a slight upward nudge overtime, but it will affect mining difficulty. The value of a generated coin is now ~$6.25 when it was $12.50 before. The last time it was @ $6 USD was Jul '12 (was actually closer to $7 then), and the hashrate was roughly 12THash/sec (half of now). You won't necessarily see a drop to half, but you will definitely see a drop.
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 03:51:29 AM

Reward halving does not affect the price, excepting a slight upward nudge overtime, but it will affect mining difficulty. The value of a generated coin is now ~$6.25 when it was $12.50 before. The last time it was @ $6 USD was Jul '12 (was actually closer to $7 then), and the hashrate was roughly 12THash/sec (half of now). You won't necessarily see a drop to half, but you will definitely see a drop.

Dafuq? No, the value of a mined coin is still $12.50, just like it was before the reward half. 1 coin is 1 coins is 1 coin. The $ value earned per GH/s has cut in half, which is what you might be thinking about. You're looking at this all backwards, and it's totally screwy.

bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 04:07:31 AM

Dafuq? No, the value of a mined coin is still $12.50, just like it was before the reward half. 1 coin is 1 coins is 1 coin. The $ value earned per GH/s has cut in half, which is what you might be thinking about. You're looking at this all backwards, and it's totally screwy.

It's not screwy at all, it's simply how it is. A=B, B=C, A=C. You are free to look at it solely as $/GH, but equivalence does not end there. I perhaps should have said block instead of coin, and then it would have been instantly clear, but it's obvious enough that I felt laziness was fine.

You mine a block, you get half the coins, the value of individual coinage is still the same, but the value of the block is now half; you can look at this as people getting the original number of coins at half the price. Equivalence for the sake of comparison. It's not backwards, it's the most sensible way to compare today to yesterday, in this context, as evidenced by being able to simply look at a chart on bitcoincharts and draw info from it to reach a conclusion. The price of coins today is fully analogous to the time when BTC was $6.25 and the network of the time is more or less what that was priced at. We won't return there due to sunk-costs, but we won't stay where we are now, QED.

It only breaks down if you want to keep in scope the entirety of bitcoin, which we don't.
crazyates (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 05:33:20 AM

It's not screwy at all, it's simply how it is. A=B, B=C, A=C. You are free to look at it solely as $/GH, but equivalence does not end there. I perhaps should have said block instead of coin, and then it would have been instantly clear, but it's obvious enough that I felt laziness was fine.

You mine a block, you get half the coins, the value of individual coinage is still the same, but the value of the block is now half; you can look at this as people getting the original number of coins at half the price. Equivalence for the sake of comparison. It's not backwards, it's the most sensible way to compare today to yesterday, in this context, as evidenced by being able to simply look at a chart on bitcoincharts and draw info from it to reach a conclusion. The price of coins today is fully analogous to the time when BTC was $6.25 and the network of the time is more or less what that was priced at. We won't return there due to sunk-costs, but we won't stay where we are now, QED.

It only breaks down if you want to keep in scope the entirety of bitcoin, which we don't.
Ah, yes, the $ value of each block as cut in half, that is true. Where they used to be worth ~$625, but now they're only worth ~$310. Where before, $90,000 worth of coins were mined per day, now it's only $45,000.

AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 12:16:12 PM

I have about 2GH/s worth of GPUs but only pay $.07 in electric so Im still profitable. Also I have been mining on coinlab almost since they started so I have a few weeks worth of points saved up.

Im one of the ones who wanted ASICs to be delayed, however I am also within the first 25 orders for a bASIC.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
bitboyben

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 08:01:24 AM

Oh yes July and $6.25 BTC. I remember. I was pretty excited when it hit $6.25. Guess I've been spoiled recently. I guess the price will continue to rise as it gains uses. But it does seem like out side of that BTC is priced closely to what the market figured it was worth in July vs power and equipment costs.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: