Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:23:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do we deal with an internet blackout?  (Read 6735 times)
Trader Steve (OP)

Activity: 836
Merit: 1007

"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 09:49:03 PM

I know there's been some discussion on this at various sources but what are the latest strategies to prepare for, and deal with this type of scenario? Specifically, what are the specific actions that one can take so he can continue to transact with bitcoin?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 10:00:14 PM

The Internet was invented precisely because it can not be blacked out. Though if you are talking about blacking out access to the Internet, then I guess that's a possibility. In that case, electronic bitcoin transaction will be impossible, though physical bitcoins can still be used as cash.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Trader Steve (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 10:05:36 PM

The Internet was invented precisely because it can not be blacked out. Though if you are talking about blacking out access to the Internet, then I guess that's a possibility. In that case, bitcoin transaction will be impossible.

Yes, agreed. But let's talk about the specific methods of changing our mode of operation. What would you do to continue transacting/protecting your bitcoin? The average person only knows the internet that they pay a monthly fee for through an ISP.

EDIT: Perhaps a basic "how to" guide would be useful so dummies like me could prepare in advance.  Tongue
Trader Steve (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 10:19:30 PM
Last edit: December 01, 2012, 10:38:16 PM by Trader Steve

I know da2ce spoke about some "sneaker net" type solutions using freenet but I think that project has died due to lack of interest. (see http://agoristradio.com/?p=347 )

With certain parts of the world currently dealing with internet blackouts it would be great to develop multiple strategies for broadcasting transactions. I know there is also the "bitcoincard" project which is interesting as well.

Here is another way of posing this question: What if the "internet" is shut down in your country tomorrow - what would you do with your bitcoin?
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 10:21:26 PM

The only thing you can't do without the internet locally is spend your coins. You can receive them, you don't need to worry about the blockchain, you just can't spend them. For that you need someone who does have access to the network in order to send the transaction.

I could envision a service that would allow incoming telephone calls where users could just tell their public and private key in order to make a transaction.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 10:29:32 PM

I think this is something that bitcoincard will address. Only one card in the ad-hoc network would need access to an internet connected node. It could be land-line, wireless, or even satellite based.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 10:32:46 PM

The problem with the question is that there are so many scenarios.

You could have a scenario like Syria, Iran or Libya, or you could have something bigger.

In the case of the middle east blackouts it's probably as simple as buy a sat phone and hope it doesn't get jammed, or put a ham radio on the back of a truck and hope you don't get huff-duff located. Or carrier pigeon?  Don't need much bandwidth for an offline transaction, even encrypted with PGP.

However, I've found that things rarely work out how you expect. First of all blackouts are usually unexpected. Syrian rebels were lucky and saw it coming.

Still, you usually find you're missing someone's PGP key or your copy of Skype is out of date or whatever. Or the radio doesn't work because there power supply is too bad etc etc.

So you could pass offline transactions to someone who has connectivity to the blockchain.

But I'd like to think that Bitcoin could somehow carry on without the internet, per sec. People passing round the blockchain offline and doing offline transactions, something like a digital huwala, but the connectivity needed is so high it doesn't seem at all feasible.

How's about a series of bunkers with the blockchain passively updated over radio (receive only)? Or a copy downloadable via tor?

All this I think though isn't a big deal. I think a much bigger threat would be the USA outlawing/confiscating, shutting it down as much as possible, then 51% other attacks all at the same time

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Trader Steve (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 10:33:27 PM
Last edit: December 01, 2012, 10:43:44 PM by Trader Steve

The only thing you can't do without the internet locally is spend your coins. You can receive them, you don't need to worry about the blockchain, you just can't spend them. For that you need someone who does have access to the network in order to send the transaction.

I could envision a service that would allow incoming telephone calls where users could just tell their public and private key in order to make a transaction.

Interesting. I could see the potential for that. The receiver of the payment would have to receive confirmation of the transaction - by calling the same service I presume. Both parties would therefore have to trust this service and the service would become a target. It would need some type of self-defense protocols.

I could also see physical bitcoins (ala Casascius Coins) trading at a premium provided that they are issued by a trusted issuer. They would already have to be in circulation though in order to make much of a difference.

It appears to me that this type of scenario (internet blackout) would force most people into barter situations where physical goods, gold, silver and Casascius Coins would be the predominant medium of exchange until internet access was restored.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 10:52:01 PM

I know there's been some discussion on this at various sources but what are the latest strategies to prepare for, and deal with this type of scenario? Specifically, what are the specific actions that one can take so he can continue to transact with bitcoin?

Operate infrastructure without chokepoints.

- http://www.theFNF.org

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 10:57:45 PM

Remember connection via satellite  Wink

TheDarKnight

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 11:02:42 PM

But. isn't that even easier to blackout than any other route??? We don't put sats up the, the Governors do, and we couldn't keep 'em there cos we aren't military.

Please consider trading on bter.com via my referral link shown here, it's a great site for profit with a wide selection of currencies and low fees. https://bter.com/signup/1566

Ziftrcoin tips please!
ZZK4rj1yPRKjmZ26y9tvWq8oeEDUwiV31R
rexcoin

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 11:04:16 PM

Well the government can for example shut down peoples internet (as in the case with the dns keylogger)
If the government one days cuts off verizon or cable or dial up or whatever internet you use, you could do this (while your internet is working)

Now i bet there is a easier way to do this, im just not GREAT with windows or linux programming. anyway:
1 - Get a twilio.com account (its a voice and sms api)
2 - Get a local numbeer from twilio
3 - write a script that will do ether of the following:
3.1 - Translate a websites data into a alphanumeric code (encrypted most likely?)(from your server side NOTE if your country blocks internet it would be smart to use another country for the server), then write a program for your Operating system that would translate the alphanumeric code into a webpage.
OR
3.2 - Translate a websites data into a sound-type code (kinda like dial up)(from your server side NOTE if your country blocks internet it would be smart to use another country for the server), then write a program for your Operating system that would translate the sound-like code into a webpage.

--NOTE--
I know 3.1 option is REALLY slow and might take 1 day to create a webpage - this is the worst case type thing.
3.2 is more like dial up which is slow but its better then no internet.

I was looking for a dial up type thing to use with twilio but no luck.

rexcoin

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 11:06:30 PM

But. isn't that even easier to blackout than any other route??? We don't put sats up the, the Governors do, and we couldn't keep 'em there cos we aren't military.

I doubt for example if USA shuts down ALL internet that every satellite will be taking down (unless USA shoots them down, which would end up in world war 3 most liekly), other country have them and im sure if usa does that people will work with other countrys to help us internet people.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 11:21:54 PM

+1 on bitcoincard.

If the scenario is that our internet is still accessible locally, but blocked out from the rest of the world/country (great firewall of china example), we'll still be able to trade Bitcoin here, as long as ONE node somewhere in the system has a connection to the outside (we just may not be able to mine due to delays in block chain propagation). If worse comes to worse, and AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, and whoever else all go dark, at least in larger, more closely grouped together cities people may be able to switch their WiFi's to open Ad-Hoc mode, and set up a wireless mesh of sorts. It won't be easy, and will require both people with technical know-how knocking on doors, and WiFi owners consenting to it (likely out of desperation).

I do really really really REALLY look forward to when wireless mesh networks can be easily set up and be practical.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 11:44:46 PM

I think he's talking about the case for example if Iran's government black out the Internet for the people of Iran, then satellite would definitely be an option. Iranian government can't take down other country's satellites. Satellite companies can provide people in Iran satellite internet (though I guess you have to smuggle equipment into Iran first).

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 11:47:16 PM

Before this can be answered, you need to define the question properly.

"How do we deal with an internet blackout?"

How would you define 'dealing' in this context, and what do you define as 'internet' and more specifically, what do you define as 'an internet blackout'.

We need precise questions to be able to answer them, or else we need to make assumptions that may be quite different from what you originally had in mind.

The reason you should define it more clearly is that 'The Internet' itself is designed especially for the purpose of never 'blacking out'. Redundant routes is what ensures this, and even if a country has shut down their internet, access could be possible through satellite.

And in a situation where a mesh net is used, the state could have special police with equipment searching for and punishing participants in such a network.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 12:00:37 AM

How would you define 'dealing' in this context, and what do you define as 'internet' and more specifically, what do you define as 'an internet blackout'.

We need precise questions to be able to answer them, or else we need to make assumptions that may be quite different from what you originally had in mind.

The reason you should define it more clearly is that 'The Internet' itself is designed especially for the purpose of never 'blacking out'. Redundant routes is what ensures this, and even if a country has shut down their internet, access could be possible through satellite.

And in a situation where a mesh net is used, the state could have special police with equipment searching for and punishing participants in such a network.

Holy fuck you are a paranoid little bitch today! Jesus, if we have to worry about Nazis hiding under the bad, we have bigger problems than how we pay for our pizza.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Trader Steve (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 12:00:53 AM

Yes, you highlight the difficulty of the question. There are multiple attack vectors and, I assume, multiple methods of countering each of them. I do not know all of those attack vectors and I know much less about how to deal with each of them. Perhaps others on this thread can post the most likely threats and their suggested countermeasures. Some good ideas have already been offered.

I also recognize that "the State" is not as "all powerful" as some people make them out to be but, nonetheless, they must still be respected and not under-estimated.

The question "what if the internet is blocked?" is a common objection to bitcoin's usefulness and my purpose of this thread is to help us understand/prepare for such a potential "Mad Max" event and, additionally, be better prepared to answer this important objection from bitcoin critics.

Herodes

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 12:30:29 AM

Holy fuck you are a paranoid little bitch today! Jesus, if we have to worry about Nazis hiding under the bad, we have bigger problems than how we pay for our pizza.

Hm. I don't know why you're trolling. The millitary in many countries will use all force necessary to control information in a state of war. When we talk about a blackout,
it's usually do to unrest in a country, for instance the govt. is shutting it down to prevent rebels from communicating and planning.
Herodes

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 12:33:42 AM

Yes, you highlight the difficulty of the question. There are multiple attack vectors and, I assume, multiple methods of countering each of them. I do not know all of those attack vectors and I know much less about how to deal with each of them. Perhaps others on this thread can post the most likely threats and their suggested countermeasures. Some good ideas have already been offered.

I also recognize that "the State" is not as "all powerful" as some people make them out to be but, nonetheless, they must still be respected and not under-estimated.

The question "what if the internet is blocked?" is a common objection to bitcoin's usefulness and my purpose of this thread is to help us understand/prepare for such a potential "Mad Max" event and, additionally, be better prepared to answer this important objection from bitcoin critics.

In general, your bitcoins would be safe as long as the block chain exists and you have copies of your wallet. This could be local or remote copies. As stated previously, you could still receive coins to your adresses, but unless you had some mean to send them, it would be difficult. I see a lot of interesting protocols for this has been suggested in this thread.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: