Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:48:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Get The Humble THQ Bundle with Bitcoin  (Read 2543 times)
Kris (OP)
Donator

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 01:27:40 PM
Last edit: December 03, 2012, 05:32:42 AM by Kris

To show how simple this could be and to illustrate for game developers how they can benefit from accepting bitcoin.

http://blog.walletbit.com/2012/12/buy-humble-thq-bundle-with-bitcoin.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ValtteriRyhtila

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 02:15:54 PM

It's nice to have this payment option, but I'm skeptic about this making any difference. At worst this may give them an incentive to officially not to accept bitcoins.
Kris (OP)
Donator

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 06:03:56 AM

It's nice to have this payment option, but I'm skeptic about this making any difference. At worst this may give them an incentive to officially not to accept bitcoins.

I guess you could have a point there, thanks for your insight.

If all other fails its a way for people to purchase this bundle with bitcoins.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 06:20:18 AM

I was actually wondering about a 'pass-through' type bitcoin donation system like this ... it seems like there are quite a few organisations out there that could benefit from such a pass-thru donation service like this, i.e. someone wants to donate to EFF, Wikileaks, Humble Bundle, etc who do not as yet accept bitcoins then you pass along btc donations to the orgs ... and all those people who prefer to use (only have access to) btc but not paypal, bank acct., credit card can use the pass-thru.

Not quite sure how the trust system would work though, maybe a reputation or some kind of validating mechanism to show the donation went through to the desired org.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 09:14:13 AM

I was actually wondering about a 'pass-through' type bitcoin donation system like this ... it seems like there are quite a few organisations out there that could benefit from such a pass-thru donation service like this, i.e. someone wants to donate to EFF, Wikileaks, Humble Bundle, etc who do not as yet accept bitcoins then you pass along btc donations to the orgs ... and all those people who prefer to use (only have access to) btc but not paypal, bank acct., credit card can use the pass-thru.

BitPay is doing this for wikipedia. At first I was a little annoyed partly for Vit's reason, but now I like the idea. Each extra thing you can makes the coins more useful to people and thus more valuable. Sure it would be a better PR boost if they took it directly, but that wasn't really about to happen anyway.

And later, when there are even more uses for coins these places that are only getting old money from pass-throughs will have need for coins and want to get them directly instead of hassling to buy them.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
ValtteriRyhtila

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 10:04:10 AM

BitPay is doing this for wikipedia. At first I was a little annoyed partly for Vit's reason, but now I like the idea. Each extra thing you can makes the coins more useful to people and thus more valuable. Sure it would be a better PR boost if they took it directly, but that wasn't really about to happen anyway.

And later, when there are even more uses for coins these places that are only getting old money from pass-throughs will have need for coins and want to get them directly instead of hassling to buy them.

+1. Always nice to have a new thing to do with my coins.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 12:23:08 PM

I would hope that any pass thru will have a status page or some way to see how much has passed thru. It would great if target organizations could see how much came via bitcoin to help with decision making and trends.

Kris (OP)
Donator

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 04:32:56 AM

Only two purchased the humble bundle with bitcoin.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 02:32:32 PM

There's no incentive. You added another layer of risk without benefits. We have to now trust you and humble bundle to deliver, instead of just trusting humble bundle.

Plus buying the humble bundle isn't exactly something I would want to be anonymous for.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
prezbo

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 03:12:08 PM

Only two purchased the humble bundle with bitcoin.
I unfortunately bought it before I saw this thread, otherwise I would've done so.

There's no incentive. You added another layer of risk without benefits. We have to now trust you and humble bundle to deliver, instead of just trusting humble bundle.

Plus buying the humble bundle isn't exactly something I would want to be anonymous for.

Sure there's incentive, I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) have bought the last three humble bundles using bitcoin (through a proxy). I don't care about anonymity, I just want to pay with bitcoins because it's easier for me, in my eyes that's incentive enough.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 09:37:16 PM

I bought it via the walletbit site.
(well.. sort of... there is some issue still being worked out it seems)

A suggestion/query re the walletbit.com receipts - Is there some reason that my receipt url from yesterday is no longer displaying anything?
When I made the payment yesterday, I didn't have a printer handy so just bookmarked it, expecting to be able to view it today - but now it's blank.
I would think receipts should last a few days or weeks if not indefinitely.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 10:22:53 PM

ahhh, i totally forgot about that one. if anyone has a leftover bundle, i would gladly take it.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 11:03:53 PM

Summing up the obvious, I think there are a lot of "ands" in this story.
A person has to know about/have bitcoins AND want to buy a humble bundle AND have to be aware of the walletbit offer for this to work out.
Good principle to be a middleman though.
prezbo

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 11:14:40 PM

A person has to know about/have bitcoins AND want to buy a humble bundle AND have to be aware of the walletbit offer for this to work out.
Good principle to be a middleman though.
yup, this exactly. I think a lot of people don't know about humble bundle, that would probably buy it. I mean, it's only a couple of bucks, you get shitload of awesome games (and soundtracks) and it helps charity, what's not to like Smiley
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 11:24:04 PM

yup, this exactly. I think a lot of people don't know about humble bundle, that would probably buy it.

Yeah, I don't think so.

Humble THQ bundles sold:  885,364
Humble THQ bundles sold via walletbit: 2
prezbo

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 11:36:17 PM

yup, this exactly. I think a lot of people don't know about humble bundle, that would probably buy it.

Yeah, I don't think so.

Humble THQ bundles sold:  885,364
Humble THQ bundles sold via walletbit: 2
I'm pretty sure the reason there weren't many bought through walletbit is because rarely anyone knew it could've been bought this way, I for example sure fell in this category. Anyway I was thinking in general here, I didn't know humblebundle existed before, so did none of my friends. I mentioned it to them and the majority bought it also. For anyone that even remotely likes games (and/or game music) I think a 1$ donation is a no-brainer.
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 05:53:09 AM

so, what's the humble bundle without looking at some image (games?  for PC?  shrug) or looking at a youtube video?  the website doesnt explain it

only thing that comes to mind for me is the humble guys

if the humble bundle isnt related to the pirate group, why would you name something like that?  scratch
prezbo

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 07:03:14 AM

so, what's the humble bundle without looking at some image (games?  for PC?  shrug) or looking at a youtube video?  the website doesnt explain it

only thing that comes to mind for me is the humble guys

if the humble bundle isnt related to the pirate group, why would you name something like that?  scratch

From the website:
"What is Humble Bundle? Humble Bundle organizes awesome, pay-what-you-want sales for digital stuff. So far, we've let people name their price and support charity to get groundbreaking video games, music, and eBooks. We've helped bring games to Mac, Linux, and Android when previously unavailable and always put an emphasis on supporting developers and charities through our promotions. Due to the generous contributions of bundle buyers, we have already raised over $9 million for charity."
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 04:28:50 PM

Humble Bundle is pretty awesome. Pay what you want, with extra games/soundtracks/etc if you pay more than the minimum (which is usually 5-8 bucks). Also has an area to choose where your money goes to, split between the devs, a couple charities, humble bundle guys. Usually they are indie games, some good, some not so much. But pretty much every bundle has at least 2 games worth it. This one was a THQ bundle, had games like Saints Row the Third (which is awesome in every way), Dawn of War Gold, Red Faction, some others. There are some others doing the same thing now, I forget the names of them now though.   

Most of the games (well the indie ones at least) have DRM free downloadable versions, all with a few exceptions have Steam keys.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
prezbo

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 09:04:21 PM

And... there's a new one. Kris, will we also be able to buy this one through walletbit?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: