Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 09:58:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How could one prove that he/she/they is Satoshi Nakamoto?  (Read 721 times)
jacktheking (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 02:13:43 AM

What do Satoshi Nakamoto need to do if he/she/they want to come back to the cryptocurrency stage? Do he/she/they sign a message from an address that is known to belong to Satoshi Nakamoto? Which addresses will Satoshi Nakamoto need to sign from then?

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
eddie13
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262

BTC or BUST

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 02:18:06 AM

Do he/she/they sign a message from an address that is known to belong to Satoshi Nakamoto?

Yup..

Which addresses will Satoshi Nakamoto need to sign from then?

One of the old satoshi addys that still have its coins, or any known satoshi addy really I think..

Chancellor on Brink of Second Bailout for Banks
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 02:22:30 AM

What do Satoshi Nakamoto need to do if he/she/they want to come back to the cryptocurrency stage? Do he/she/they sign a message from an address that is known to belong to Satoshi Nakamoto? Which addresses will Satoshi Nakamoto need to sign from then?

I'm pretty sure there is only one address that the real Satoshi has the key for that holds something ridiculous, something around the hundreds of millions of USD in bitcoins... those coins hasn't moved anywhere that I know from my knowledge and they have just remained there stagnant for years. So if the real Satoshi were to want to prove himself, he would sign a message from that address that will indefinitely prove that it is actually him.

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 02:26:18 AM

One of the old satoshi addys that still have its coins, or any known satoshi addy really I think..

The best one is the Genesis Block, i.e. 1A1zP1eP5QGefi2DMPTfTL5SLmv7DivfNa. The coins sent there can't be spent, but the key to that address can be used to sign messages.

Buy & Hold
lolgato

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 02:31:42 AM

He will need to sign the first address that got the first block and that will prove he/she/it is satoshi
Pattart

Activity: 1190
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 03:27:13 AM

I'm pretty sure there is only one address that the real Satoshi has the key for that holds something ridiculous, something around the hundreds of millions of USD in bitcoins... those coins hasn't moved anywhere that I know from my knowledge and they have just remained there stagnant for years. So if the real Satoshi were to want to prove himself, he would sign a message from that address that will indefinitely prove that it is actually him.
There isn't one address, there are hundreds. The Bitcoin from the early blocks were mined to random addresses in his wallet, and if he kept those, then he could prove his identity. And there most certainly is not one Satoshi address that has hundreds of thousands of Bitcoin, that would be too obvious.

Not only could he sign a message with one of those addresses, he could also provide a signed message with his pgp key.
l8nit3
Legendary

Activity: 1007
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 03:43:49 AM

The widely accepted email that should be used to confirm mr nakamoto's identity would be satoshin@gmx.com. However as stated above, there would need to be the correct pgp signatures aswell. IMHO I dont think we will ever know 100% for sure who he/she/they is/are.
steveds
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 05:06:18 AM

Do he/she/they sign a message from an address that is known to belong to Satoshi Nakamoto?

Yup..

I don't think satoshi has left something incomplete or undone but still if he ever returns then there are number of other ways it could be proved it's him ,most simplest would be his pgp key (you could find it somewhere here on forum) ,it could also be proved by people who were/are speaking to him personally who are most probably theymos and sirius .So it has no connection to the bitcoins (he holds) anymore.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 07:29:23 AM

Yup..

I don't think satoshi has left something incomplete or undone but still if he ever returns then there are number of other ways it could be proved it's him ,most simplest would be his pgp key (you could find it somewhere here on forum) ,it could also be proved by people who were/are speaking to him personally who are most probably theymos and sirius .So it has no connection to the bitcoins (he holds) anymore.

Using people that were speaking to him could potentially be social engineered and would therefore never be 100% certain. Unless ofcourse they have lied to us and already know who satsohi is Wink

That would be an eleborate scam (not that I think they would do it ofcourse), that they would point out someone of their chosing and put him forward as satoshi.
Pierre 2
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1358

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 07:52:33 AM

I think he can easily prove it is him by moving billions of dollar worth bitcoins himself.
Funny isn't it?
It is not that hard.
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2015, 07:59:16 AM

Th eonly way i would beleive is if i saw a transaction coming from one of his old wallets.

justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 08:03:34 AM

I think that the real Satoshi owns a key that holds 1 million Bitcoin. I don't think that that account has had any transactions so there is no way to track it. Maybe 1 day we will find out who the real Satoshi is.
justspare

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 08:05:06 AM

Yeah. The key holds 1 million Bitcoin which right now is worth around 440 million USD. That is a shit ton of money, but I guess that's what he/she deserves for making this revolutionary currency.
justspare

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 08:12:48 AM

Th eonly way i would beleive is if i saw a transaction coming from one of his old wallets.

Really. Satoshi has multiple wallets. I don't believe that this is true. Must have just been another wallet with a lot of Bitcoin. How do you know that that was his wallet?
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 08:22:59 AM

As for me there not can be any kind of prove that can verify this fact. May be the show of the source code repository and network alert key given by him to Gavin Andersen or maybe may the show of the wallet with its 1 million bitcoin. But yet cannot be told for sure anything even with (if) the show of this facts. Because they may be given from him to someone other for various reasons (for example to not be never discovered). I think that him will remain forever a mysterious secret and will influence in this way even in the destiny of bitcoin.
vlom
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1117

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 08:26:47 AM

just ask the FVEY. They know it for sure. but i am not sure if they really answer you.  Roll Eyes
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 08:42:11 AM

what if all the address that are known to belongs to satoshi are not of satoshi anymore, because the wallet was stolen or something? so the impostor can sign a message and prove that he is satoshi but, actually he is not...

so even signing is not a valid way to know at 100% if he is satoshi
WENGER

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

Negative rating was requested by me (SFR10)

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2015, 08:49:23 AM

Signing a message is one way if he could prove somehow that his still the one in control of the addresses. Using his account here could also be another way assuming it hasn't been compromised by someone else and lastly the emails that he used also assuming if he has control over them until now and could prove so.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: