Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:47:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone Farming Bitcoin in their Garage or outdoor Shed?  (Read 9821 times)
nhando (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 02:47:20 AM
Last edit: December 18, 2015, 07:22:10 PM by nhando

Trying to build an outdoor Shed for the summer bitcoin mining here in in HOT and HUMID Houston.  Need advice and would love to see how other people are handling the heat and humidity running these equipment in an outdoor shed without AC and just force AIR.  I have a space for a 10L x 10W x 7H Shed and would like to run about 5-7 Antminer S7 or Avalons.  at up to 8KW+ of wattage, the normal formula calculate for AC is WATT x 3.14BTU for cooling and I think 24K BTU is just way too expensive to run for such a small setup for FAN Exhaust and FAN to blow the hot air out is what I'm been recommended.  Would love to hear success stories and learn from everyone's experience of whether this is a good or bad idea.

Just "Mining" my own business.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
l8nit3
Legendary

Activity: 1007
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 03:53:33 AM

Wow, interesting idea! I'm personally running my little setup in my garage currently just an s1, and some fury's and gridseeds.... however I had a few GPU's running out here back in the day aswell. All I've ever used for cooling is 2 box fans and all seems well. However I do also underclock everything through the summer.
nhando (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 05:04:25 AM

I'm running it out of my garage right now to take advantage of the Winter free cooling but I need a longer term solution and I'm sure this is the right place for that.  Hoping to see some people's outdoor setup to get some ideas.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 05:58:01 PM

I'm surprised I thought more would share out there.  You will for sure need a way to extract heat.  If you have vent's in room it will help as heat's rise and some go out.  

Mine is quite long and large on miner area and has possibility of using up to 100 amp.   I use a gable fan like attics but it was expensive for commercial grade, as home grade was not enough for my miners.

I would think there is a cheaper fan out there then gable fan's.  But the install seems some are more involved then others.  Also a way to keep rain out is important it can be done with gable vent's. http://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-Venting-Cooling-Ventilation-Roofing-Attic-Ventilation-Gable-Louvered-Vents/N-5yc1vZc667

And fan's are a whole different story.  I'm hoping again your's with shed can be done much cheaper then mine added up to.  If it is expensive lowes almost always has decent coupons on ebay.  But with it being summer it's harder and harder to get fan's, for most places it's seasonal on brick and mortar stores.
MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 09:13:04 PM

I am in Houston. I run miners in sheds for some of my mines.  I run a couple hundred KW of miners. All using fans for cooling no AC

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 09:26:00 PM

Trying to build an outdoor Shed for the summer bitcoin mining here in in HOT and HUMID Houston.  Need advice and would love to see how other people are handling the heat and humidity running these equipment in an outdoor shed without AC and just force AIR.  I have a space for a 10L x 10W x 7H Shed and would like to run about 5-7 Antminer S7 or Avalons.  at up to 8KW+ of wattage, the normal formula calculate for AC is WATT x 3.14BTU for cooling and I think 24K BTU is just way too expensive to run for such a small setup for FAN Exhaust and FAN to blow the hot air out is what I'm been recommended.  Would love to hear success stories and learn from everyone's experience of whether this is a good or bad idea.

Yes, don't use AC. There is no problem doing this imo, just gotta keep in mind that your air intake, during storm could blow in water. Mine is protected by being at ground level and covered by a balcony, so water does not get in, unless there's so much wind that it can uplift water.

There is probably bunch of ways to go about this but the easiest would be to have a mostly airtight shed with a high performance fan at the outake, with some holes open at the intake that does not allow water in.

This is usually done by simply picking air from bellow something. Either you put an outdoor shield or you take air in from holes under the shed.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
nhando (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 10:59:55 PM

@MCHouston - Can you share some pictures of your setup?
@Virosa - I'm thinking of something like this shed that is 10L x 10W x 7H.  IT have 2 Air inlet.  Picture show at site below.
http://www.megastoragesheds.com/sheds/gables/

Then I will use something like this Gable Fan for Exhaust.  Just don't know how many CFM of a FAN I need.    I would put a small little 45 degree room to cover over the exhaust fan to keep rain out

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Grade-Products-Hydroponic-Ventilation/dp/B00PHLPTVC/ref=pd_sbs_328_8?ie=UTF8&dpID=41sRVJzd-8L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR120%2C160_&refRID=160BPQZJTX867GP5WSRE

Plus 1 Air Circulator Fan to push the Air away from the Miners to the Exhaust FAN like below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073CQ9BW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Again everything is still on the planning stage and I'm not set of any layout or equipment yet.  I am open to suggestions and recommendations from you all that have experience with this and how I can handle storms, humidity, etc.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 11:14:32 PM

@Virosa - I'm thinking of something like this shed that is 10L x 10W x 7H.  IT have 2 Air inlet.  Picture show at site below.
http://www.megastoragesheds.com/sheds/gables/

Then I will use something like this Gable Fan for Exhaust.  Just don't know how many CFM of a FAN I need.    I would put a small little 45 degree room to cover over the exhaust fan to keep rain out

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Grade-Products-Hydroponic-Ventilation/dp/B00PHLPTVC/ref=pd_sbs_328_8?ie=UTF8&dpID=41sRVJzd-8L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR120%2C160_&refRID=160BPQZJTX867GP5WSRE

Plus 1 Air Circulator Fan to push the Air away from the Miners to the Exhaust FAN like below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073CQ9BW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Again everything is still on the planning stage and I'm not set of any layout or equipment yet.  I am open to suggestions and recommendations from you all that have experience with this and how I can handle storms, humidity, etc.

Just the first fan would be enough to pull enough air out. As long as the hot air does not get trapped, it depend on how you setup your circulation. It would be a pretty expensive setup but it would be pretty cool.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
nhando (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 11:52:52 PM

So you think those 2 fans should be sufficient for this 100 SF Shed?  I wanted the circulatory fan to help cool the Miners a bit too.  They're both low wattage enough where it is still practical to use.  Now I just need to figure out the best way to design the Exhaust FAN area outside to avoid rain or moisture coming in on strong rainy days. 

P.S Would love to see other people's setup, lesson learns and what to avoid.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 11:56:29 PM

So you think those 2 fans should be sufficient for this 100 SF Shed?  I wanted the circulatory fan to help cool the Miners a bit too.  They're both low wattage enough where it is still practical to use.  Now I just need to figure out the best way to design the Exhaust FAN area outside to avoid rain or moisture coming in on strong rainy days.  

P.S Would love to see other people's setup, lesson learns and what to avoid.

Well i can tell you why i was suggesting it that way. I can describe you my setup;

I have my miners blowing the hot air directly into a box fan that is pushing the air out a window, this way waters can't get in anyways.

If you do it this way you really wont need 2 fans. You should be coalescing your miner's exhaust to that output. It will make it so the first fan you pick to be completely overkill anyways.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
nhando (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 12:11:46 AM

Sounds like a smart idea.  Would the Miners also benefit from another fan to help them push that hot toward the exhaust as the 120MM Fans can only push the hot air so far or would the exhaust fan pull enough air where it wouldn't matter and would already provide this extra circulation?  Do you have a picture of your setup by any chance?

dmwardjr
Legendary

Merit: 1318

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 03:01:24 AM

This is usually done by simply picking air from bellow something. Either you put an outdoor shield or you take air in from holes under the shed.

Excellent idea.

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
eddie13
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262

BTC or BUST

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 03:09:49 AM

I've been thinking about heating my motorhome with S3's or something.. Plenty of 12V there..

Chancellor on Brink of Second Bailout for Banks
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 03:43:39 AM

Sounds like a smart idea.  Would the Miners also benefit from another fan to help them push that hot toward the exhaust as the 120MM Fans can only push the hot air so far or would the exhaust fan pull enough air where it wouldn't matter and would already provide this extra circulation?  Do you have a picture of your setup by any chance?

Not that would properly show this. But anyways, i have a Boxfan jammed IN the window, and the miners are almost against it, just a few CM away. The air pressure of the miners are actually very high, i can feel the air of the whole setup at 5m away (because right now its inverted for a reason not relevant to this). (This will produce noise because the exhaust of the miners will hit the fan)

So anyways, if you point the exhaust of your mine toward the exhaust fan, you will have no problem, the fan you linked move plenty of air, you would not need a second one, unless you're blowing your S7's hot air all over the place, and even then it probably has enough CFM to cycle all the air you will need for 8KW.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 03:43:49 AM

I would say one fan [If it's a good one] should be fine.  It's not like my situation inside my house where the one fan I was using was sucking out all of my AC (summer) or all of my HEAT (winter) from my home.  It is 7,800 CFM when on high [It has 2 speeds].  Even when I had another window open downstairs, that was not enough to offset the static pressure built up from the 7,800 CFM fan on high.  I ended up having to get another one of these fans to install in the other window to offset the static pressure to keep the single fan from sucking all of the AC out of my house.

Seeing that no one would live in this shed except your rigs, the one fan would do just fine as long as it's sufficient for the amount of rigs you have or intend to have inside.

Right now, my fans are on low because I have less rigs than before [All S7's] and it's cooler outside [Winter].

This is the fan I have in two windows:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R1XFP2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s02

Here's a photo of one of them inside the closet.  However, all the HW you see inside was sold on eBay and has been replaced with S7's.  Don't mind the black paint on the wall.  I painted cast iron staircase spindles there.

A closer look:  Don't be fooled...  That is not zip ties supporting it.  They were initially used to hold it up briefly while I did what you will see next.

Even closer: I used a clamp that's normally used to fasten conduit to a wall or ceiling to hold this into the wood with screws.  Approximately 1 third (1/3) of the fan is sticking outside through the wood but still covered by the brick and window seal.

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 03:56:39 AM

Something like this can be made out of wood into this shape with wood shingles nailed as roofing:

nhando (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 04:03:02 AM

Excellent TIP DMwardjr and thanks for sharing with us your wonderful setup.  I really like that Vent hood, that would save me from having them build a a small slanted roof over it.  How much CFM of an Exhaust FAN do you think I will need for a 100-120SF Shed?  Also that is a beautiful equipment rack.  Where can I purchase something like that?

dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 04:15:19 AM

Excellent TIP DMwardjr and thanks for sharing with us your wonderful setup.  I really like that Vent hood, that would save me from having them build a a small slanted roof over it.  How much CFM of an Exhaust FAN do you think I will need for a 100-120SF Shed?  Also that is a beautiful equipment rack.  Where can I purchase something like that?

It depends on how much gear as far as how many CFM fan...  I don't want to tell you more than what you need.

I bought my rack from Sams Club.  The next one's I buy would be this particular one:  

Home Depot is cheaper by $50:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiator-4-Shelf-73-in-H-x-77-in-W-x-24-in-D-Welded-Steel-Garage-Shelving-Unit-GARS774SZG/204280487;jsessionid=3FF93B1B350A0F16F64FA38CC22B4D8F

Sam's Club:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/4-tier-rack-shelf-rack-shelving/prod16820534.ip?origin=item_page.rr3&campaign=rr&sn=ClickCP&campaign_data=prod3790537

That vent hood is located here but they do not sell it here.  You need to look it up on Amazon probably:  The fan I have is made by the same manufacture as the vent hood.  However, I purchased my fan on Amazon.

http://www.tpidatapoint.com/ocat/f-tpicorpelectrical/103114-web/electricalcatalog_price/index.html#29/z

MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 05:41:12 AM

Yes I can post up some pics.  I will post pics of a 36KW mine. Should be close to what you are thinking.

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
nhando (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 05:48:48 AM

That would be Awesome MCHouston especially since you have to deal with the same temperature as mine.  Also another question is whether the Garage is a good option to house about 3 Antminer S7, and 1 Avalon 6 which puts out the same amount of heat but is very quiet.   Any negative issues with installing vents and exhaust fans for Garage?  If I use quiet PSU, would 3 S7 still be too loud where you can hear them quite loud thru the garage door?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: