Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 01:06:31 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Support bitcointip (at reddit)  (Read 1917 times)
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 04:35:29 PM

Why do we need more full nodes?  70k nodes storing the EXACT same information across all of them isn't enough?  I'd say that 700 would be enough myself... as long as the nodes cannot practically collaborate with each other, it would be fine...

Cause the more full nodes running the better protected the bitcoin network will be. The stronger it will be against attacks. Remember we are still a pretty small community, in another 3-5yrs we maybe under powered for the growth, so I think is good to start thinking about that now.
Mining protects the network.  The number of nodes does nothing more than verify that every node has the correct data.  I don't see any attack vector involving the number of nodes except on those relying on them for lite clients.

DDOS and protecting the quality of the data.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 05:05:27 PM

Why do we need more full nodes?  70k nodes storing the EXACT same information across all of them isn't enough?  I'd say that 700 would be enough myself... as long as the nodes cannot practically collaborate with each other, it would be fine...

Cause the more full nodes running the better protected the bitcoin network will be. The stronger it will be against attacks. Remember we are still a pretty small community, in another 3-5yrs we maybe under powered for the growth, so I think is good to start thinking about that now.
Mining protects the network.  The number of nodes does nothing more than verify that every node has the correct data.  I don't see any attack vector involving the number of nodes except on those relying on them for lite clients.

DDOS and protecting the quality of the data.
A DDOS on 70k nodes?  Is that even possible?

Can you clarify what you mean regarding protecting the quality of the data?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: