1st Quarter - 51 (23%)
2nd Quarter - 48 (21.6%)
3rd Quarter - 36 (16.2%)
4th Quarter - 30 (13.5%)
Never - 57 (25.7%)
Total Voters: 222

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When in 2013 shall Bitcoin break its all-time-high of $31?  (Read 8831 times)
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 07:26:22 PM

$31 is really just a fake price imo. It was up there for a split second on an exchange that would crash at a moments notice and that was subsequently hacked a few days after this "all time high". The real high imo, is about $20, and even then that was short lived. The actual price point where we had any side-ways action was about $14....

J-Norm

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 08:42:20 PM

If the Iranian people or some other oppressed population with a financial crisis adopt it as a defacto currency then it could hit critical mass where wide spread adoption begins.

Barring that the growth will be slow. I don't think bitcoins have seen there last major increase in value.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 11:12:00 PM

Barring extraneous events, (major adoption by service provider/foreign nation/panics/etc...), at a conservative rise of $1 per month, that would be 18 months from now. So, worst case is by the end of May 2014.

However as we know, linear extrapolation has its own flaws.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
bzzard

Activity: 398
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 11:40:43 PM

The price will drop back down under $4 when people cash out to buy Christmas presents like last year.

I guess a lot of people bought bitcoin as present Tongue

BTCCharts.com - still for free!
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 11:46:10 PM

There are 3 likely possibilities for Bitcoin. The first option is that Bitcoin continues to be a currency of the niche. Most of you are thinking along those lines. That is the route of slowing growth rate. Even in that case Bitcoin can break the all-time-high quite easily but it will take some time. The second option is that Bitcoin gets destroyed or fails somehow during the next couple of years.

There is a third option you're not really considering, which I find strange. There is the possibility that Bitcoin really finds some uses that make it lift off and enter mainstream. I believe the possibility of this is not insignificant. If that happens, we will see a growth rate far beyond of 2012. The price would go through $100 like a knife through butter. Instead of 100's of millions, the market cap would be in the billions.

Remember that the spike in 2011 was basically Bitcoin becoming known at all. Mainly in the technology & libertarian circles. If Bitcoin hits mainstream in usage, the spike in 2011 is a blip that will look like a straight horizontal line in the graph of the future. We don't know if this will happen or when it will happen but I think that 2013-2015 is the time it will likely happen if it is to happen.

So in conclusion I'd say that if Bitcoin starts to really show its potential in 2013 we will break through $31. Like it's nothing. However that might not happen or it might happen in later years. In that case there will be a slowing growth rate that is fairly linear, for a while longer at least.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 11:53:35 PM

I think Technomage more or less has it right, speculatively. Bitcoin is worth investing in, because either it's a total flop and one loses a bit of money, or it's a major success, even in a niche market, and value explodes, thus making holders rich - although, of course, Bitcoin is no get-rich-quick scheme at all.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 11:54:37 PM

There are 3 likely possibilities for Bitcoin. The first option is that Bitcoin continues to be a currency of the niche. Most of you are thinking along those lines. That is the route of slowing growth rate. Even in that case Bitcoin can break the all-time-high quite easily but it will take some time. The second option is that Bitcoin gets destroyed or fails somehow during the next couple of years.

There is a third option you're not really considering, which I find strange. There is the possibility that Bitcoin really finds some uses that make it lift off and enter mainstream. I believe the possibility of this is not insignificant. If that happens, we will see a growth rate far beyond of 2012. The price would go through $100 like a knife through butter. Instead of 100's of millions, the market cap would be in the billions.

Remember that the spike in 2011 was basically Bitcoin becoming known at all. Mainly in the technology & libertarian circles. If Bitcoin hits mainstream in usage, the spike in 2011 is a blip that will look like a straight horizontal line in the graph of the future. We don't know if this will happen or when it will happen but I think that 2013-2015 is the time it will likely happen if it is to happen.

So in conclusion I'd say that if Bitcoin starts to really show its potential in 2013 we will break through $31. Like it's nothing. However that might not happen or it might happen in later years. In that case there will be a slowing growth rate that is fairly linear, for a while longer at least.

+1
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 12:09:51 AM

For me the next interesting price milestone is $17.

At that point, we can well and truly put that awful Wired article "The Rise and Fall of Bitcoin" behind us.
The one that stated:
"... but the damage had been done; the bitcoin never got back above $17."

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/11/mf_bitcoin/all/

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 12:14:51 AM

False premise. Everyone knows the world will end in a little over 2 weeks. Wink

Personally, if it happens in 2013, it will be late in the year. I'm hoping for a slow, steady rise. Of course, the collapse of the dollar may change that. We'll see.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 12:37:13 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39btKqMiqiQ

myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 12:42:03 AM

Why do people keep asking me if I have found Jesus?

A better question would be Why do you fuckers keep losing him?

Wink No offense intended, but I really don't like proselytizing.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
adamstgBit
Legendary

Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 12:48:55 AM

Why do people keep asking me if I have found Jesus?

A better question would be Why do you fuckers keep losing him?

Wink No offense intended, but I really don't like proselytizing.

I never had Jesus in the first place.

I guess I'm fucked... Oh well.

goldlyre (OP)

Activity: 1101
Merit: 512

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 01:29:31 AM
Last edit: December 06, 2012, 01:57:45 AM by goldlyre

You're absolutely right. For bitcoin's unique properties and obvious potentials to be possibly adopted in the future (as a ideal money universally acceptable, easily stored and transported, and highly divisible ), it's market cap up-to-date is only $140 million that is astoundingly small. 40 days ago when I heard and joined it, I felt that the market depth was so thin (I buy bitcoin on a Chinese exchange named BtcChina which is ranking as the 10th biggest in the world in term of daily trading volumn and in the local currency RMB), so those monies bigger-than-I (I'm really a very small shrimp in comparison with those huge sharks!) shall surely have ever bigger difficulties than me to find a way sneaking into in. So my conclusion is that if ever the Bitcoin goes mainstream in any extent the price shall go to da moon!
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 04:55:47 AM

Oh, 1/3 voted never !

I'm surprised, many of those may be disapointed Smiley

Let's bet about it on BetsOfBitco.in Smiley

I've bet on few statement like this one, around 1st and 2nd quater imo !
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 05:13:20 AM

I don't think so.  2015 or maybe 2014.  The surges in prices are less extreme now.  I don't think we will see any +100% years.  $20 maybe.

This.  There are simply too many holders of large collections of bitcoins and as the price increases it's easier and easier for less and less bitcoins to push it back down.  There'd need to be a lot more money on MtGox to get back to $31 and that's just to get there.  There'd need to be even more money to keep it there.  We're probably years away from that.

Hmmmm and what about the return of me.ga? If Kim decides to accept bit coin/litecoin? What would happen?

Probably the same thing that happened when Wordpress accepted bitcoin - a small rise in price.  The fact is that bitcoin is still far too obscure and difficult to use for the vast majority of people.

IMO me.ga (if accepting bitcoins) will have a much greater impact on bitcoin. compared to me.ga wordpress is tiny

Ok, stop right there.  Will you please show me how Wordpress is tiny compared to me.ga?  What data do you have on this?  Did you know that Wordpress is Alexa ranked 22nd among all websites on the internet?  Megaupload was never even close to that before it was taken down.  Why would me.ga, a site based on the same premise as Megaupload, suddenly be much more popular and highly trafficked than Wordpress?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 05:24:06 AM

Bitcoin development is going pretty fast even though it will probably be a few years before it is ready for mass adoption. At that point Bitcoin will be worth several orders of magnitude beyond current value. All it will take for speculators to kick it up a notch is a killer app. These will be plethora when m-of-n transactions become available.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
notme
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 05:31:42 AM

Bitcoin development is going pretty fast even though it will probably be a few years before it is ready for mass adoption. At that point Bitcoin will be worth several orders of magnitude beyond current value. All it will take for speculators to kick it up a notch is a killer app. These will be plethora when m-of-n transactions become available.

m-of-n transactions are available, we just need the apps to be built

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 05:36:17 AM

m-of-n transactions are available, we just need the apps to be built
Yeah, I'm starting to think that will be a couple more years away. Well, more time for me to buy cheap bitcoins!

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 08:14:48 AM

Bitcoin won't scale to very high prices (adoption) yet, the blockchain size will explode and transaction fees will be very high if BTC adoption (and thus price) is going to grow tenfold. Adoption growing hundredfold would break the network.

Bitcoin is not a mature technology yet.
mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 08:17:07 AM

By the way, I predict all time high spot price in 2014 and around $25 by the end of 2013.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: