Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:50:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is there no PyCUDA port of POCLBM?  (Read 2576 times)
tacotime (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 06:15:55 AM

Is my question.  Anyone using POCLBM with CUDA-enabled nVidia cards has probably noticed that their cards are only using a fraction of their possible output in terms of heat/electricity.  It's reasonable to think then that all of our transistors are not being used effectively or at all.

Particularly I am pretty sure the OCL implementation in POCLBM very poorly utilizes the GPU in terms of blocks/threads: http://llpanorama.wordpress.com/2008/06/11/threads-and-blocks-and-grids-oh-my/

The PyCUDA documentation is here: http://documen.tician.de/pycuda/index.html#contents

I don't see any reason why the CUDA architecture, using the full parallel processing capabilities of each CUDA core, should be any slower than ATI cards, but hopefully someone here with a better understanding can figure things out and explain them.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
PcChip

Activity: 418
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 06:30:11 AM

You can run phoenix poclbm/phatk on NVidia cards.

On my GTX570, rpcminer-cuda.exe gets 113 MH/s while phoenix poclbm gets 1-2 MH/s more, but makes the machine unusable (desktop unresponsive)

On my 8800GT, rpcminer-cuda.exe gets 24 MH/s while phoenix [unknown kernel] gets 31 MH/s

Legacy signature from 2011: 
All rates with Phoenix 1.50 / PhatK
5850 - 400 MH/s  |  5850 - 355 MH/s | 5830 - 310 MH/s  |  GTX570 - 115 MH/s | 5770 - 210 MH/s | 5770 - 200 MH/s
tacotime (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 06:35:22 AM

Yeah but it's pretty clear that an nVidia card do as many SP vector calculations as an ATI card when it comes to 3D applications...  The performance we're seeing right now amounts to maybe 1 active thread/CUDA core whereas we should be seeing a much faster speedup.  Is it just because the DP performance of the ATI cards is so much faster?  That's the one area where ATI really outstrips nVidia, but there must be some kind of fix for this.

There's something wrong if we have a card that can perform side by side with a 6950 (GTX 570) in 3D applications of parallel processing/SP calculation but only 1/4 as fast in decoding bitcoin blocks.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
jedi95

Activity: 219
Merit: 120

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 07:30:10 AM

I think the reason nobody has developed a pure CUDA kernel for Phoenix (or a CUDA port of poclbm) is that Nvidia cards are very poor miners compared to similarly priced ATI cards. As a result of this the vast majority of Nvidia cards used for mining were likely intended for gaming first.

We were planning on making a CUDA kernel for Phoenix, but we didn't get very far before shifting focus to other areas. (BFI_INT implementation)

Phoenix Miner developer

Donations appreciated at:
1PHoenix9j9J3M6v3VQYWeXrHPPjf7y3rU
Silverpike

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:43:26 AM

I don't see any reason why the CUDA architecture, using the full parallel processing capabilities of each CUDA core, should be any slower than ATI cards, but hopefully someone here with a better understanding can figure things out and explain them.

Please read the Wiki:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Why_a_GPU_mines_faster_than_a_CPU#Why_are_AMD_GPUs_faster_than_Nvidia_GPUs?
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 10:00:52 AM

There's something wrong if we have a card that can perform side by side with a 6950 (GTX 570) in 3D applications of parallel processing/SP calculation but only 1/4 as fast in decoding bitcoin blocks.
Bitcoin is an integer algorithm, neither DP nor SP power is needed there.

You can try to do the port yourself though as pyoclbm is Open Source, good luck!

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
doomy

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 10:16:30 AM

There's something wrong if we have a card that can perform side by side with a 6950 (GTX 570)

570 more similar to a 6970 than a 6950 just pointing out Smiley Apart from that as the wiki said, AMD's are better cause of their strong integer crunching prowess and higher number of shaders.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: