Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 02:02:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If you preordered a BFL ASIC rig back in August and paid for it in Bitcoin...  (Read 3644 times)
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 08:12:02 AM

It's as realistic as it gets. Opportunity cost is still a cost and had BFL shipped in October you'd be sitting pretty right now with a paid off ASIC, but they screwed you on that one too. Don't worry though it wasn't their fault, it was those damn clock buffers.

You don't get it,do you..........I have lost nothing,I spent my BTC at the time I needed to spend it.For all you knew,BTC could have decreased in value,then what "haha,we got one over on BFL,they got ripped off by the lower BTC prices",no they would not have.The value at the time is just that  Roll Eyes

It's an investment,my product will arrive when it arrives & I will profit from it...... & you won't,haha Wink

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 08:40:42 AM

BTC is a currency, meant to be traded and used to purchase things, so that's what most people will do with them.

+1

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
bitboyben

Activity: 330
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 09:08:42 AM

What If I bought BTC at $15? how much would I have lost?

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 01:31:15 PM

And my family went on vacation while BTC was $30 last summer. By all accounts, I lost $20,000 by being away from home when I could have sold.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 05:56:41 PM

... that means...

($13.50 - $10.50) / $10.50 = 28.5%
$30,000 * 28.5% = $8,550

...you have lost $8,550 of potential bitcoin capital gains, or that a BFL ASIC Rig would have cost you $8,550, or that had BFL keept ASIC Rig customers' preorders in bitcoin, it would have owed each of them $8,550 by now.

... Is this in any way relevant?

When you do your profitability calculation for mining hardware you need to denominate in BTC, not in USD. The question is: how long does it take the hardware to generate the amount of bitcoin (ROI break even) you'd spend at that time for the hardware purchase. This is exchange rate independent.

Now - the reduced profitability (longer ROI break even) due to all the delays in delivery are a completely different story...

It kills me to agree with Jutarul, but this is actually a pretty good way to measure it.  The whole "If you bought BTC instead of XXXX device in YYY time, you would have made ZZZZ" is ludicrous and goes to show that the person making that argument does not understand how money works.  I know it's already been said, but the value of BTC could have just as easily gone down and you would have made out ahead.  Unless you have a crystal ball, saying "You would have made ZZZZ" after the fact is nothing but rhetoric.  Sure, I can say that about ANY financial transaction that involves the exchange of money... if I had known AUD would have dropped so much since 2008, I would be a millionaire right now... however, I didn't know the USD would lose value as quickly as it did against AUD.  Hindsight is great for making financial predictions, you are always 100% right.

Now you go apply that to the real world and see how you make out.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 06:45:42 PM
Last edit: December 08, 2012, 07:55:42 PM by Jutarul

It kills me to agree with Jutarul, but this is actually a pretty good way to measure it.
Thank you for the flowers. I learned it the hard way myself. I started mining when the price of BTC was ridiculously low, thus I paid a significant amount in opportunity cost, even though all the cards eventually broke even USD wise.

The whole "If you bought BTC instead of XXXX device in YYY time, you would have made ZZZZ" is ludicrous and goes to show that the person making that argument does not understand how money works.  I know it's already been said, but the value of BTC could have just as easily gone down and you would have made out ahead.  Unless you have a crystal ball, saying "You would have made ZZZZ" after the fact is nothing but rhetoric.  Sure, I can say that about ANY financial transaction that involves the exchange of money... if I had known AUD would have dropped so much since 2008, I would be a millionaire right now... however, I didn't know the USD would lose value as quickly as it did against AUD.  Hindsight is great for making financial predictions, you are always 100% right.

Now you go apply that to the real world and see how you make out.

In the spirit "everything has been discussed before - somehow":
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=121624.msg1313267#msg1313267

The graphs in the linked post tell you something about the intrinsic bitcoin generating power for the first ASICs, which seems to be around 1000-2000 BTC per 100 BTC invested (at $13 exchange rate and a 4x increase in difficulty). However that figure will go down fast with the date of the delivery. The good news is that it will take a significant amount of hash power to push the profitability down to less than 100% (>40x). Thus ASICs in 2013 could be considered a safe investment - given that your concern is the accumulation of bitcoin.

Caveat emptor.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
michaelmclees

Activity: 633

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 07:10:20 PM

So in other words, if you think the value of something wil go up, you should be more careful about trading it away and if you think the value will go down, you should be more ready to trade it away.  Are you a wizard or something?
timeshareafrica

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 07:23:50 PM

I would recomend a book Data Analysis & Decision Making with Microsoft Excel. By Albright, Winston and Zappe.
Seems to me a good investment if the asic s comming out on time

Rassah (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 10:27:47 PM

It kills me to agree with Jutarul, but this is actually a pretty good way to measure it.  The whole "If you bought BTC instead of XXXX device in YYY time, you would have made ZZZZ" is ludicrous and goes to show that the person making that argument does not understand how money works. 

"Hindsight" wasn't my argument. BFL converts all BTC to USD, thus avoiding all currency risk. Buyers on the other hand preorder with BTC, and have their spent BTC sit in limbo until the product they purchase is finally delivered. True, BTC could have fallen instead of risen, which would have made those who have preordered much better off (and BTC did fall from $12 to $10.50 for a time), but this currency risk is taken on entirely by the customers. The decision to preorder a long time ago, which resulted from a huge opportunity cost, turned out to be a bad decision, but the main reason that decision was made to begin with was because BFL claimed that the delivery date was only a couple months away, i.e. BFL claimed that the currency risk would be smaller than it turned out to be. In the end, BFL was not affected, since it is not affected by BTC fluctuation due to holding USD, those who have preordered a long time ago have experienced a huge opportunity cost, and BFL is to blame. (If you think opportunity cost isn't a real cost, the extra $3,000USD worth of BTC that I have and that you don't says otherwise).
Now, I'm not saying that this is something that BFL needs to repay to those who have preordered. Currency exchange risk is often unpredictable, and something those who preordered (maybe) likely expected. I'm just pointing out that delays that happen when dealing with two currencies that fluxuate against each other do have very real costs, begin just annoyed customers and whining on forums.

By the way, it could have been MUCH worse if BFL had kept all their customer preorder funds in BTC instead, because if people asked for a refund, had BTC lost value, they could refund BTC, and had it gained value, sell it for the USD price equivalent and just return the USD, netting the BTC gains for themselves. It would have been an almost risk-free investment for them.

BTW, did BFL mention whether they are still keeping customer's preorder funds in a separate account? Because until they start shipping products, that money is still technically Unearned Revenue, and does not belong to them. I'm assuming that's what they are doing, since they are an LLC, will have to file taxes, and will have to declare it as such, lest they bring the wrath of IRS auditors upon their heads.

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2012, 10:48:18 PM

It kills me to agree with Jutarul, but this is actually a pretty good way to measure it.  The whole "If you bought BTC instead of XXXX device in YYY time, you would have made ZZZZ" is ludicrous and goes to show that the person making that argument does not understand how money works.

"Hindsight" wasn't my argument. BFL converts all BTC to USD, thus avoiding all currency risk. Buyers on the other hand preorder with BTC, and have their spent BTC sit in limbo until the product they purchase is finally delivered. True, BTC could have fallen instead of risen, which would have made those who have preordered much better off (and BTC did fall from $12 to $10.50 for a time), but this currency risk is taken on entirely by the customers. The decision to preorder a long time ago, which resulted from a huge opportunity cost, turned out to be a bad decision, but the main reason that decision was made to begin with was because BFL claimed that the delivery date was only a couple months away, i.e. BFL claimed that the currency risk would be smaller than it turned out to be. In the end, BFL was not affected, since it is not affected by BTC fluctuation due to holding USD, those who have preordered a long time ago have experienced a huge opportunity cost, and BFL is to blame. (If you think opportunity cost isn't a real cost, the extra $3,000USD worth of BTC that I have and that you don't says otherwise).
Now, I'm not saying that this is something that BFL needs to repay to those who have preordered. Currency exchange risk is often unpredictable, and something those who preordered (maybe) likely expected. I'm just pointing out that delays that happen when dealing with two currencies that fluxuate against each other do have very real costs, begin just annoyed customers and whining on forums.

By the way, it could have been MUCH worse if BFL had kept all their customer preorder funds in BTC instead, because if people asked for a refund, had BTC lost value, they could refund BTC, and had it gained value, sell it for the USD price equivalent and just return the USD, netting the BTC gains for themselves. It would have been an almost risk-free investment for them.

BTW, did BFL mention whether they are still keeping customer's preorder funds in a separate account? Because until they start shipping products, that money is still technically Unearned Revenue, and does not belong to them. I'm assuming that's what they are doing, since they are an LLC, will have to file taxes, and will have to declare it as such, lest they bring the wrath of IRS auditors upon their heads.

I guess I'm not understanding why/how you are applying this opportunity cost to only one side of the transaction, which then results in an unbalanced transaction.  Yes, BFL is late and the opportunity cost is real, but it applies to both sides of the transaction (and thus cancels out).  Saying BFL was not affected is the fundamental problem here - BFL is only not affected if the transaction is unilaterally applied to the customer and not BFL, which is not the case (as you point out in a later paragraph).  BFL would have to hold on to the BTC and then issue refunds in USD for that to apply, and that is not what's happening.  The opportunity cost that affects the customers also affects BFL.  If we had held on to the BTC, we could have gained quite a bit (again, as you already pointed out).  So yes, the opportunity cost is real in so far as "if someone had held on to the BTC, they'd have more USD value than they did before," but again that's only valid with hindsight, not with future predictions.  If BFL had known that BTC was going to rise, BFL should have kept the BTC instead of the USD.  Anyway, I'm rambling at this point... the take away from this is that the potential opportunity cost applies to both the customer and BFL and thus cancels each other out as providing an advantage to one party over another.

To answer your question, yes we maintain preorder funds separate from expenditure funds.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.

Activity: 756

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 02:16:29 AM

One would think the preorder funds were needed to be expended to develop the new product...

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 04:42:48 AM

One would think the preorder funds were needed to be expended to develop the new product...

According the some of the 'Business Scholars' in this forum, invested money floats around in Imagination land acquiring profits and dancing with the fairys.

O.o

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Rassah (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2012, 06:34:17 AM

Yeah, sorry, I was kinda rambling a bit with that long post. Was too tired when I posted it.
I guess from BFL's perspective, they have USD costs for the devices and USD denominated revenues, so their business makes the same USD based profits from the sale of devices regardless of what BTC does. For buyers who paid with BTC that's not the case. But you're right, it's not very relevant. Maybe I'm just feeling guilty that I missed my chance to preorder due to stupid banking restrictions, and thus managed to realize those BTC gains entirely due to dumb luck.
bitboyben

Activity: 330

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 07:37:58 AM

R&D at BFL was paid for by venture capitalists. All deposit money's are safe. Been documented for long time.

But in the interest of fairness, you have a good point. Diversified investing is always a good idea and miners should also be encouraged to purchase and trade BTC. IMHO

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 12:35:48 PM

R&D at BFL was paid for by venture capitalists. All deposit money's are safe. Been documented for long time.

But in the interest of fairness, you have a good point. Diversified investing is always a good idea and miners should also be encouraged to purchase and trade BTC. IMHO

Being "documented" suggests that there is some hard evidence somewhere, which there is not (at least not for public consumption). A more accurate phrase would be that it has been "stated" for a long time.

creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 12:42:07 PM

Why collect 100% of the cost of pre-order units so many months in advance then? Why not a 10 - 20% earnest deposit? That would've given the company an accurate measure of demand and protected them from unfunded commitments. Are these funds just sitting under a mattress or collecting interest somewhere? The whole thing is just shady and unprofessional, and yes I'm aware other companies have done this too, though I do not believe any of them have sat on other people's money for such an extended time frame.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 01:32:18 PM

IMHO people who pre-ordered ASICs from BFL should be considered share holders of the company given they basically funded the entire development process with their pre-order funds.

The fact that it has been about 6 months and nothing has been delivered to customers, and also that people likely have lost "value" in their holdings in BTC if they paid in that method, says people/customers with ASIC preorders are entitled to be shareholders in the company.

But then again the agreement with BFL is not retroactive as I would hope.

Some people are just too stupid to realize that BFL had their own interests in mind and will continue to have them in mind for the foreseeable future.

"jump off a cliff because someone tells you there is gold at the bottom that will make you rich. But you can't jump off the cliff unless you pay them...all the while knowing you will die when you get to the bottom if you don't have the proper equipment for jumping off a cliff (i.e. parachute, hand glider, etc.). "

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Activity: 756

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 07:51:08 PM

Why collect 100% of the cost of pre-order units so many months in advance then? Why not a 10 - 20% earnest deposit? That would've given the company an accurate measure of demand and protected them from unfunded commitments. Are these funds just sitting under a mattress or collecting interest somewhere? The whole thing is just shady and unprofessional, and yes I'm aware other companies have done this too, though I do not believe any of them have sat on other people's money for such an extended time frame.

then it would be much easier for people to jump ship or pre-order something else

bfl has the best business strategy, get your money the earliest

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 09:04:56 PM

then it would be much easier for people to jump ship or pre-order something else

bfl has the best a business strategy, get your money the earliest
FTFY. It's called a lock-in. The same thing happens in marriage.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 11:52:59 PM

FTFY. It's called a lock-in. The same thing happens in marriage.

...and ending it means someone gets half your sh1t. Cry

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: