Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 08:16:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's a Better Asset right now: Silver or Bitcoins?  (Read 1658 times)
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 07:47:03 PM

Don't kid yourself. Silver is stable ATM, but it's a firecracker. I last played the GSR, swapping AG for AU at nearly $48/Ozt. It then fell to $29/Ozt and has worked it's way back up to $33. If you want stable and reliable then buy gold, both silver and bitcoins are volatile.

barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 07:49:13 PM

It's value in fiat changes a lot.

Gold is rather tranquil by comparison.

Yeah but that's the value of money changing not silver.
Certainly not. The spending power of the dollar did not go down by 80% from 2008 to 2010, and then up by 30% from 2010 to present (in any sense other than the dollar price of silver.) These changes are almost entirely due to changes in the value of silver.

A set number of dollars could not buy five times more labor, or butter, or gasoline, or real estate in 2008 than it would in early 2010.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 07:55:26 PM

Exactly.  The decline in purcashing power of the dollar is pushing the longer multi-year trend however anyone saying silver is "stable" just uneducated.   The daily and weekly moves aren't suddenly caused by a major change in purcashing power of the dollar.

I mean if it was then one would expect McDonald's combo meal to be $4 this week, $5 last week, and $2.25 at the start of the year.  Sometimes during the day the price of a meal will jump $0.50 while you are standing in line.
creativex

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 08:01:39 PM

Yeah, a combination of a small silver market and lots of manipulation is a recipe for wild swings. This need not be a bad thing if you have the anti-acids handy and can keep emotion in check. On the contrary silver investing can be tremendously profitable.

swarkal

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 04:46:54 AM

Both are fairly liquid assets.  But the volatility of bitcoin could be potentially more damaging then the trend silver has shown since '09. 

A careful mixture of both seems to be the more conservative approach.
tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 04:50:28 AM

I'd rather have silver because the value of Silver remains the same however the value of Bitcoins are changing.

Lots of stuff I've read lately says silver is due for a crash.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
creativex

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 04:54:56 AM

Yeah. Either silver will go up or it'll go down...or maybe it'll stay the same. Meh.

I recommend buying when it goes on sale and swapping for gold when it gets too long in the tooth.

JonMcAlpine

Activity: 39

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 04:56:12 AM

Exactly.  The decline in purcashing power of the dollar is pushing the longer multi-year trend however anyone saying silver is "stable" just uneducated.   The daily and weekly moves aren't suddenly caused by a major change in purcashing power of the dollar.

I mean if it was then one would expect McDonald's combo meal to be $4 this week, $5 last week, and $2.25 at the start of the year.  Sometimes during the day the price of a meal will jump $0.50 while you are standing in line.

Well how come silver is fluctuating so much?
kwoody

Activity: 454

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 01:53:56 PM

I'm just going to repeat what other people have been saying.
The most reliable portfolio of investments is the one that is the most diversified.
TangibleCryptography

Activity: 476

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 02:12:44 PM

I'm just going to repeat what other people have been saying.
The most reliable portfolio of investments is the one that is the most diversified.

No truer words have been said.  If you are looking to diversify your BTC holdings, FastCash4Bitcoins https://fastcash4bitcoins.com offers brilliant uncirculated Canadian Maple Leaf 1 oz coins.  Available as single coin (in premium airtite capsule) or as a 25 coin mint tube.  Need a lot of silver.  We can do custom orders of 200 oz or more just drop of a PM.  Personally I like 10 oz silver stacker bars.  Nothing like opening up a good quality safe and seeing your wealth "stacked up".
Chief Satangkai

Activity: 54

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 02:14:10 PM

I diversify between metals from coinabul, perfect money and bitcoin. Silver and gold makes me sleep at night...
JonMcAlpine

Activity: 39

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 06:34:10 PM

To be fair I think you people think the "value" of Silver is fluctuating a lot because they "value" of currency is, that's what the charts are based on anyway. I quote from a documentary I saw "One silver coin gets you two goats a thousand years ago, one silver coin gets you two goats today." The value of silver doesn't change, the value of money does (for obvious reason).
creativex

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 06:50:09 PM

That theory accounts for the longer term upward trend in silver. It does not account for the tremendous day to day volatility that silver displays. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the silver market is tiny and it's manipulated by some large players, resulting in wild swings.

Code_red

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 09:46:55 PM

just my 2 cents but bitcoin seems to have a large market for growth as a payment medium alone
creativex

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 09:50:56 PM

Indeed and with kewl projects like coinbase just getting revved up, the greedy SOBs @ paypal had better watch their backs.

barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 05:27:07 PM

To be fair I think you people think the "value" of Silver is fluctuating a lot because they "value" of currency is, that's what the charts are based on anyway. I quote from a documentary I saw "One silver coin gets you two goats a thousand years ago, one silver coin gets you two goats today." The value of silver doesn't change, the value of money does (for obvious reason).

The dollar value of silver swung up by a factor of 4 between December 2008 and December 2010.

The dollar value of goat meat did not quadruple during that time. The price of silver changed.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2012, 06:43:11 PM

The dollar value of silver swung up by a factor of 4 between December 2008 and December 2010.

The dollar value of goat meat did not quadruple during that time. The price of silver changed.

Fair enough.

I think you have to consider the long-term merits of stable and sound money, e.g. gold and silver. I was sitting close to (if not in) the front row at Charles Vollum's sound-money lecture at September's London Bitcoin conference, and he raised a very interesting point:

In 1900, a year's tuition at Yale cost about a kilogram of gold.
Today, a year's tuition at Yale costs... about a kilogram of gold.

Yes, the price of a Yale degree has fluctuated somewhat around that, e.g. a 1980 trough due to a high gold price and a 2000 peak due to a lower gold price, but has clearly tended around the 1kg mark. The dollar price has simply gone up and up (inflation/dollar debasement).

Vollum made the point that hard-money investors should try hard to detach themselves from assigning value too centrally in fiat terms. Psychologically, this is trickier than it might seem, given how everything around us, generally including wages, is priced in fiat.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
normanbatez

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 09:23:09 PM

Silver. would rather have a physical currency. Plus when the zombie apocalypse happens try trading bitcoins.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: