Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 09:23:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bASIC graphic renders and diagram  (Read 8422 times)
Bogart (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 04:34:48 AM

Thought I'd repost these here:

Source: https://www.btcfpga.com/forum/index.php?topic=355.0

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 04:59:36 AM

Just a few random thoughts when I saw these:

1st: These are their "renderings"?! I'm not good with that sort of stuff, but my brother could whip those up in an hour. They show virtually no details besides having 16 chips, 4 fans, and a DC barrel jack (I thought they were using molex?). People complained about the BFL renderings not being enough proof, but those at least looked like they were based off an actual schematic or design. I'm assuming this is because the board isn't finished?

2nd: 16 chips compared to BFLs 8. That would put them at 4.5GH/s, compared to BFL's 7.5GH/s. I wonder if more chips = lower voltage, which allows them to lower the power usage (per chip), and maybe keep them under 100W?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 05:05:05 AM

Yeah they could be prettier, but it's nice to see movement. As to the molex issue, I believe bASIC is moving toward a PCIe connector as a single molex would be pretty close to maxed current wise. This is a good choice IMO and the barrel connector is another option for powering the unit.

The design is very compact and efficient IMO, though it could obviously change significantly prior to shipping.

BitSyncom

Activity: 336
Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 06:46:49 AM

Why does it say the chips will be on time? wasn't the word before that bASIC already had the chips? If this wasn't then case, then I apologize for the statements made against them on the assumption they mentioned they had chips but no PCB.

creativex

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 06:58:33 AM

Think you can kiss your Christmas fruitcake buh bye buddy...no sense sucking up now. Tongue

The chip possession comments from BTCFPGA are still rather ambiguous. I don't know if they had some ES chips on hand and have just been waiting for the main shipment or what. They seem rather confident that they'll have chips when they need them and that they'll work. 

Enigma81

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 07:14:40 AM

If true to render, this would be the first ASIC (of any kind, bitcoin related or otherwise) I've ever seen that had JTAG.

Odd, to say the least...

Enigma
RHA

Activity: 392

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 08:36:58 AM

If true to render, this would be the first ASIC (of any kind, bitcoin related or otherwise) I've ever seen that had JTAG.
One learns throughout life. Why ASICs couldn't be tested by JTAG connector? Or have internal temperature read out at prototype boards?
Frizz23

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 08:41:26 AM

<images>

Not impressive at all  Angry

It seems Avalon is the only trustworthy company.

I'd love to see an update like this (Avalon) from BFL or Tom: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=120184.msg1381739#msg1381739

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
creativex

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 08:44:22 AM

meh.

Rather see a shipping notification.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 09:08:07 AM

I actually see it as very good news. I just wonder if these are complete renders. (As in detailed)

The good news I can gather from their renders is that the solution Tom has gone with is extremely simple scalability. His board is the same in every direction. As in a uniform design. So if he wanted to, he could probably just make a bigger board and scale his hashing power in clusters.

If he would put in some controlling logic like BFL did with their boards (for the tethered/interconnected boards of the mini rig), he would be able to scale his hashing units to an incredible degree.
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 09:17:45 AM

I actually see it as very good news. I just wonder if these are complete renders. (As in detailed)

The good news I can gather from their renders is that the solution Tom has gone with is extremely simple scalability. His board is the same in every direction. As in a uniform design. So if he wanted to, he could probably just make a bigger board and scale his hashing power in clusters.

If he would put in some controlling logic like BFL did with their boards (for the tethered/interconnected boards of the mini rig), he would be able to scale his hashing units to an incredible degree.

please keep in mind at the time these renders were done they were incomplete.

source: first post of the linked thread.

monstrs

Activity: 555
Merit: 504

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 11:55:08 AM

Atleast some movement, drawings is good Smiley Lets see what BFL will draw next Cheesy
greyhawk

Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 12:02:40 PM

I love how the fans apparently push down the air onto the heat sinks, creating a nicely effective pocket of heat as soon as that thing sits in an enclosure. Wouldn't want those poor Asics to be cold now.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 12:18:12 PM

Atleast some movement, drawings is good Smiley Lets see what BFL will draw next Cheesy
They will draw criticism from their most hardened supporters.

Take a look:

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/519-10-dec-2012-bfl-asic-update-4.html

Crazy (as in sensible) comments going on over there.
greyhawk

Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 12:27:18 PM

Take a look:

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/519-10-dec-2012-bfl-asic-update-4.html

Which comment is the sensible one? Is it the one who says the delay is a great chance to order more ASICs with granny's christmas money? Or is it the one where they guy thinks there's a conspiracy and the fab is holding back ASICs to mine with them themselves?
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 12:29:34 PM

Take a look:

Which comment is the sensible one? Is it the one who says the delay is a great chance to order more ASICs with granny's christmas money? Or is it the one where they guy thinks there's a conspiracy and the fab is holding back ASICs to mine with them themselves?
Some dealt with the news better than others?

I think some just lost their mind. Perhaps they have been driven insane by the waiting. I believe there is a thread on their forums for exactly that....I forget the link at this time.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 12:35:12 PM

[Speculation, opinionated commentary below]

To alliterative their potential mental damage. I believe the rep decided to pull some random object from the shelf and asked everyone to guess what it belongs to.

Some played along for a page or two trying to guess what the plastic looking object looked like to them. Sort of like an inkblot test but with their minds and emotions. But then the apparent madness set in as their human reasoning started to react (to the delay of course).

You have to wonder how the rep treats his customers....it's almost like they are a hampster or lab rat when he did that. I thought they would have balked at it at first, but then they played along for about a page.

Strange isn't it?
lenny_
Legendary

Activity: 1036

DARKNETMARKETS.COM

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 01:18:15 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2012, 01:29:26 PM by lenny_

Here's design of BTCFPGA custom-ASIC:

Pretty cool, isn't?!  Grin

DARKNET MARKETS >> https://DARKNETMARKETS.COM
michaelmclees

Activity: 633

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 01:24:43 PM

Unless everything is on the chips, is this design not missing some stuff?
creativex

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 01:37:45 PM

please keep in mind at the time these renders were done they were incomplete.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: